Wine with Classic Package

carlsbadguy

Here are a whole bunch of menus - some have wine prices on them. http://www.thepreismans.com/ecarib_reflection_menus.htm#pool

(this is a great website with tons of info!)

It seemed like there were a number of wines I liked that were $8.50 or higher so I chose to upgrade, but that's just me. Oh, and the great martini list helped me decide to upgrade too!

Hope this helps!

I will admit to being a picky wine drinker. I don't like reds (ok most reds) and don't like Chardonnay. I found the white choices a bit scant. We upgraded to the premium package and was VERY happy!!!!

For the cost of one glass of wine, I got a much better selection.

Funny that you posted this. I just yesterday upgraded myself and a friend because of the lack of several wines on the classic list. I will say I had a hard time getting through. I used the option of having them call me back at a certain time.

Here is the Eclipse MDR wine list from a year ago: http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Celebrity%20MDR%20Wine%20List%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf

And the Cellarmaster's Lounge table service wine list from 14 months ago:http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Cellar-Masters-Wine-Menu-Silhouette-Dec-2012-s.pdf

Basically you'll find one each of some of the more common varieties of wine. But if you want a broader range of varieties and a little depth (such as more than one selection of a particular wine type) then you'll want the premium package. If you are a bit if a wine connoisseur and really enjoy wine then you'll probably want to take a pass on the packages so you can order wine by the bottle from the much more extensive selection of bottled wines available.

Just returned from Eclipse southern caribbean Jan. 25 sailing. We like dry full-bodied reds and really liked the Rodney Strong merlot from Sonoma and the Wente Cabernet from Cal offered in the classic pkg. Also, a dry, fruity Sauvignon Blanc from New Zeland and a nice Benzinger Chardonnay from Sonoma. There were a total of 28 wines by the glass on the classic pkg. list given to us on embarkation. Just ask the sommelier in the dining room.

Just returned from Eclipse southern caribbean Jan. 25 sailing. We like dry full-bodied reds and really liked the Rodney Strong merlot from Sonoma and the Wente Cabernet from Cal offered in the classic pkg. Also, a dry, fruity Sauvignon Blanc from New Zeland and a nice Benzinger Chardonnay from Sonoma. There were a total of 28 wines by the glass on the classic pkg. list given to us on embarkation. Just ask the sommelier in the dining room.

I strongly second the recommendation for the Rodney Strong merlot (drank it almost every night on my last cruise) and the Benziger chardonnay was also good. Both on the Classic package. There was a NZ sauvignon blanc on the MDR menu which was above the classic range, but Cellar Masters had one that was covered by the Classic package, so we often brought it in to dinner with us.

Remember that the bars, pool side,show lounge, etc. Do not have all 28 by the glass selections. Much smaller choice in those venues.

That said, we sailed with one classic and one premium package. On our next celebrity cruise, we won't bother upgrading. The classic package was just fine for us!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

This might be a duplicate post - sorry.

We had the classic package and were planning on upgrading once on board. We decided to wait to see if the classic package was sufficient. I was concerned because I drink red wine and martinis (not together, of course ;) ).

we found that some of the martinis are available in a 'small'. I just ordered a second one when i finished the first if I wanted another.

The Sommelier in Blu was great at recommending red wines within the price of the classic package. I never felt deprived of the drinks I enjoy and never had to upgrade.

Wait until you are on board and give the classic package a chance. It might be sufficient and you can save your money. If not, then upgrade on board. It is easy to do it then and you have until 3 days before the end of the cruise. You will only pay for the upgrade from the day of the upgrade to the end of the cruise.

Enjoy

In December 2012, I preordered the premium package for me, and preordered the classic for myself. Yes, we were in the same cabin.

Our friends were traveling with us. In a separate cabin. The husband preordered the classic package, while the wife opted to have no package. Third day of the cruise, she purchased the premium package on board.

We ALL agreed that the packages are great - in fact, the 123 promotion is one of the big reasons we are doing a 16 day with X in December 2014. We also ALL agreed that upgrading to premium was unnecessary. (But we are low maintenance cruisers - usually booking inside guarantees and spending our money on other things.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

In December 2012, I preordered the premium package for me, and preordered the classic for myself. Yes, we were in the same cabin.

not sure i understand that?

SORRY - quite right. Classic was ordered for husband, premium for me. Point being: different people in the same cabin can have different packages (or none at all).

There are some decent wines under classic but my suggestion is upgrade. To answer your question, yes one of you can upgrade and the other does not need to. But for $10/day I think not having to worry about what's included in the classic package and having to order a small martini, etc isn't worth the hassle since you're on vacation. Let your mind go so you don't need to worry about a thing and enjoy a wonderful wonderful cruise!

Cheers!

...so if I have the premium drink package there is no need to also purchase the wine package?

No there is not. They are two different types of packages.

The Premium and Classic beverage packages are for unlimited amounts of the included beverages and their prices are for one person only with no sharing. The alcoholic version of these include any alcoholic drink priced up to the per drink limit of the package and include beer, spirits, cocktails and wines as well as the non-alcoholic beverages included in the non-alcohol versions of these packages.

In contrast, the wine package is the advance purchase of a set number of bottles of wine at a purportedly discounted price. Because it is for a set amount of wine, rather than an unlimited amount, you can share it with your traveling companions or anyone else you'd like. The bottles can be consumed in your cabin or a dining room and possibly in a lounge if you arraigned for them to be transported there. I say purportedly as I've read a couple comments on these boards that the amount of the discount can vary from small to nothing depending on which wines you choose. The way the package works is that you purchase a set number of bottles of wine (3, 5 or 7 I think) from a small selection of similarly priced wines. Personally, I've preferred to forgo the small discount and purchased bottled wine from ship's wine list which has a lot more variety both in terms of price and selection.

Remember that it is not necessary to buy any packages at all. All the extra cost beverages can be purchased ala carte with individual charges to your on-board account.

Edited by Lsimon