Power Strips??

pawsue521

Occasionally, they're confiscated due to some issue or another (seemingly random). Most people seem to report that they have no problem bringing them onboard.

You might also consider a "cord splitter" which is lighter, less likely to be an issue with whichever little general in security decides to noodle around with your luggage at boarding time. They're available on Amazon for less than $10.

s0244883_sc7?$splssku$

I saw one in another thread. So many others recommended this little gem... Belkin 3-Outlet Surge Protector with USB Charger

it has 3 plugs and 2 USB ports... I never cruise without this! It is sooo compact and it is grounded. I have never had this confiscated. You can also find this on Amazon or at Walmart. I purchased mine from Home Depot for less than $12.

s0244883_sc7?$splssku$

I saw one in another thread. So many others recommended this little gem... Belkin 3-Outlet Surge Protector with USB Charger

it has 3 plugs and 2 USB ports... I never cruise without this! It is sooo compact and it is grounded. I have never had this confiscated. You can also find this on Amazon or at Walmart. I purchased mine from Home Depot for less than $12.

Had the same one taken in jax....now I bring and old school cord splitter. They took my belkin but ignored the booze!

Had the same one taken in jax....now I bring and old school cord splitter. They took my belkin but ignored the booze!

Interesting...I've taken this same one on my past three Carnival cruises (in my carryon) and never had an issue.

Same as with the others, I have taken this one now 6 times, in carry on, and we were good to go - love that little thing!

s0244883_sc7?$splssku$

Wow. I like that! I'm gonna grab one this weekend. :)

We've taken a whole power strip before (can you believe it?!) and no one said anything. It was total overkill. I hate overpacking. We've just started switching out using the outlets to make it easy. We do have a lot of electronics though, so this looks perfect.

Trying to figure out whether to put it in my carry-on or pack it.

We took a surge protector on a cruise 2 years ago. We take it for my DH Cpap machine. Put in our luggage and it was taken before our luggage was brought to our room. They returned it the night before we got off. The last cruise with took a regular plug(no cord) and it was not taken.

We usually take a 3-head extension cord and have never had a problem. The problem with the compact units without the cord is that you're stuck with the location of the outlet in the cabin, which is usually on the wall opposite the bed. With the extension cord, you can have your devices at your bedside overnight.

s0244883_sc7?$splssku$

I use the same one and it works great, I just pack it in the bag with all my electronic things. It will also rotate if you have a plug that is hard to get to. I bought mine on Amazon.

As the last human being in America who doesn't even own a cell phone (and don't want one) what all do you plug in??

I plug in my hair dryer, then the curler. That's it!

• Hair Straightener
  • Curling Iron
  • Cell Phones (3 to charge up on the last night)
  • Laptop
  • Sound machine to plug in at night
  • Camera batteries (2 to charge)
  • Ipod
  • Kindles (2)

Word of warning...my husband or may not have brought apower strip on a recent cruise, and he may or may not have blown the fuse/power to our cabin and the 2 on either side of us, as he may or may not have had too many gadgets plugged in at once.

He also may or may not be BANNED from ever bringing a power strip on a trip again.

(NOTE--he also managed to blow an outlet while in Switzerland, b/c he is plugged in an incorrect converter when trying to charge some batteries. OK...he's officially an electrical idiot. :rolleyes:)

CeleBrat

Battery chargers, laptops, and plug/USB connectors for Kindles and other devices tend to be very very low power consumption. You can safely plug in multiple devices.

Anything with a heating element will draw very high amps, so it's best to plug in one at a time. Fans and anything with a motor can draw amps as well.

Thank you all so much for the great info! I LOVE THESE BOARDS! Seriously, I am always amazed at how helpful people are with sharing information for a total stranger! I will certainly be purchasing the pictured outlet. Again, thanks for taking time to respond. SO EXCITED TO GO!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Dumb question, but I can't remember. Are the ships plugs 2 or 3 plug. We will be on Inspiration

This was the outlet on the desk on our Inspiration cruise

2ewf6mv.jpg

And in the bathroom (in the ceiling over the mirror, DHs cord kept falling out of the socket, so he moved into the room and used the one on the desk to shave)

25a3zmu.jpg

This was the outlet on the desk on our Inspiration cruise

2ewf6mv.jpg

And in the bathroom (in the ceiling over the mirror, DHs cord kept falling out of the socket, so he moved into the room and used the one on the desk to shave)

25a3zmu.jpg

Thank you so much

It seems like more and more lines (Princess and HAL for sure) are not allowing any power strips, other than their own to be onboard. Since these are Carnival sister lines, Carnival may not be far behind, but for now, they are okay.

While many rave about the Belkin shown above, the main reason they are not frequently taken is that they don't look like a power strip (no cord) on the baggage x-ray.

For the poster who originally suggested the Belkin here, remember, that any plug and outlet that has 3 prongs is grounded. What you are probably referring to is surge suppression, but surge suppressors have no use onboard ships, and generally are why power strips and multi-outlets like this are taken. Surge suppressors only protect against very high voltage spikes like lightning strikes, and even if your ship is hit, it travels the path of least resistance down through the hull. Ship's power systems are grounded differently than shore side systems, and surge suppressors can cause problems with the ship's systems.

To avoid being flamed, not saying you can't take them, and not saying you won't get away with it, but just saying that they are not needed, and why they are taken. Really, the cheapest power cord usually does not have a surge suppressor, and there are some with very compact outlet arrangements and short cords to aid in packing.

Edited by chengkp75

I plan on bringing a Belkin when we hit the Fantasy in May. We'll be in an interior on the Riviera deck. Is it safe to say we'll only have an outlet on the desk there too? Hubby has a CPap machine and trying to figure out how long of a cord he should bring.