Anybody else have trouble getting them to remember your birthday?

PartyAllDaTyme

Our last cruise on Summit was fantastic! I will be back to X again and again-- they're our Number One choice for a cruise line! So my little whiny complaint should not be taken as a sign of great dissatisfaction or a warning to any perusing this board not to sail with Celebrity...

DW and I tend to sail in February to: 1) get out of the snow and cold, and 2) to celebrate my birthday and our anniversary, which are one day apart. And no, it's not true that she picked that date so I would have no excuse to forget the anniversary:p:rolleyes::D.

In 2011, we sailed Summit. I'm positive we indicated we'd be celebrating these two events, and on the particular days when we booked. On my birthday, nothing. No balloons, no cake, no waiters singing "Happy Birthday" in European accents. No, it didn't ruin my birthday, but I was a bit surprised. I didn't feel it was important enough to mention to anyone that it was a problem, just figured I'd mention it on the comment card. The next day, our anniversary, the birthday balloons showed up in the cabin. No other recognition for the anniversary. Oh, well, no big deal. Just left me wondering why they asked if we would be celebrating anything if they weren't going to even acknowledge it, or just on the wrong day.

Fast forward to this year, also on Summit. Remembering what happened before, I went to Guest Services the day before my birthday and reminded them of both the birthday the next day and the anniversary the day after that, just in case. That night, the waiter asked if I was celebrating a birthday. Told him no, that's tomorrow night. The next day, no balloons or card in the room, and when it came time for dessert, no mention of cake. I was going to let it go, but my DD asked, in a not-too-subtle hint, "So what does Celebrity do when someone has a birthday?" The waiter explained that they can bring out a small cake, but they need 24 hours notice. I then mentioned that I had given 18 months notice when I first booked, 36 hours notice at Guest Services, and 24 hours notice the night before. A cake was produced and waitstaff and maître d' serenaded me, in quite a bit less than the 24 hours it reportedly would take. I enjoyed it, but felt it was somewhat tarnished by practically having to beg for it.

On a related note, this year was our 30th anniversary. We opted for a Renewal of Vows ceremony, which included an anniversary cake and we were asked when and where we wanted it served. Since we were celebrating in Normandie that night, that seemed like the place. We were told the cake would be served for dessert. When the dessert menus were presented and no cake made its appearance, my DD asked, in a not-too-subtle hint, "So what does Celebrity do when someone has an anniversary?" It was explained to our waiter that we had an anniversary cake coming. Our poor waiter said he knew nothing about a cake, and offered to dance on the table as a means of making it up to us, which gave us all a chuckle, but there was no cake forthcoming. We ordered off the dessert menu. After stuffing the last of an excellent chocolate soufflé into my mouth, the cake arrived. We all made a gallant effort to have a piece (also excellent), but I felt like Mr. Creosote at the end of Monty Python's Meaning of Life:eek:. We had them wrap up the remaining portions of pieces and take back to the cabins to finish later. We made only a dent in the cake, and was told the rest would be available in the MDR for future nights. Of course we had to request it, but the last night it took them 25 minutes to produce it, making us very late for the Honeymoon/Anniversary celebration party that X threw. We arrived just in time to hear the CD finish his song and say, "Good night, everybody!"

I don't know if they do balloons anymore for birthdays. If they've replaced anniversary balloons with the Honeymoon/Anniversary celebration, that's definitely an improvement. Again, for the most part, we thoroughly enjoyed our cruise, the Renewal of Vows ceremony was wonderful, but I still feel that X could do a wee bit better with organizing and recognizing these special events, especially when they ask ahead of time if we have them occurring.

If nothing else, I hope I've amused you with our tale!

Last year on the Constellation the CD had a call out to all those that he "missed" that were celebrating a birthday. He said that he was sorry if any were left out because there were over 475 celebrating one. This on a ship that carries around 2200 passengers and a 5 day cruise. Then there are also those with anniversaries, honeymoons and etc.

Most passengers sailing are celebrating something even if it is waking up in the morning.

We don't mention our birthdays or anniversaries to anyone as we can celebrate by ourselves and enjoy the moment in peace without a lot of phony hoopla.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I celebrated my 50th on board last year and all I gut was the cabin flower in CC replaced with one that was more dead than the one he took away lol

I had a cake in the Tuscan grille that was supposed to be delivered to the cabin but it never arrived even though they rang the cabin for about 3 days after saying my cake was on its way, that made us laugh

We will be on board for an anniversary this year but I am not expecting

anything :D

Last year on the Constellation the CD had a call out to all those that he "missed" that were celebrating a birthday. He said that he was sorry if any were left out because there were over 475 celebrating one. This on a ship that carries around 2200 passengers and a 5 day cruise. Then there are also those with anniversaries, honeymoons and etc.

Most passengers sailing are celebrating something even if it is waking up in the morning.

We don't mention our birthdays or anniversaries to anyone as we can celebrate by ourselves and enjoy the moment in peace without a lot of phony hoopla.

We don't expect perfection. JUST A DARN SIGHT LESS IMPERFECTION!
:D

I get that with 475 people celebrating birthdays, errors happen. That's why I went to Guest Services the day before, in an effort to be helpful. If we had been inadvertently omitted from the list of those celebrating birthdays and anniversaries, I wanted to give them every chance of correcting the error before it happened. Maybe this threw things into a tizzy, I don't know. AFAIK, we were the only couple doing a Renewal of Vows ceremony, so I don't think it would be too hard to get that straight. Maybe it was because it's not done very often, I don't know.

I, too, am not a fan of phony hoopla, but doggone it, if I have phony hoopla coming, I expect to have my phony hoopla!

In a complete reversal of the above, on our last TA the waiters showed up near our table with a cake, clearly about to start serenading someone. So I started it for them, "Hoppy Beershday to Ju," etc. Well, much to my shock and surprise, they promptly came around the table and delivered the cake to ME! Mind you, this was April, and I am a December baby!

But what can you do--you sound like an eejit if you start protesting, "but, but. . ." so I went along with it. Then, even more to my surprise, my tablemates all came out with birthday presents for me! I got all sorts of goodies from the gift shop, amid gales of laughter. What a crazy evening!!!

Sorry you were disappointed. We have celebrated many birthdays and anniversaries while cruising with our friends, the cruise line never did anything special. Our friends and we did not want any attention and celebrated ourselves. We did not want or expect balloons or a cake. Just our preference.

last year we were on the connie ta to amsterdam and my birthday was the day before the cruise ended. i was so hoping the waiters wouldn't bring a cake to me or sing to me as i hate that. someone on celebity must have noticed my birthdate as i sure never mentioned it on my booking and of course here come the waiters with a small chocolate birthday cake to our table with all the singing included.

DH and I will be celebrating our 45th anniversary. We have always celebrated alone. Seems life is always so busy, that just to be alone, together,is a celebration in it's self. We are the same with our birthdays. No material gifts, just being together. This trip will be a nice dinner in Normandy and a quiet stroll on deck, under the stars.. It's all in what you want and :) your happiness.Enjoy your days your way!

On our last transatlantic cruise on the Constellation, we celebrated our mutual November 25th birthday....born the same day and the same year....and we received three birthday cakes in all....one in the dining room, one delivered to our room, and one to the Capain's table where we were dining that night.

We gave most of the cakes to others....you can have too much of a good thing!

Cheers,

Carol Ann

I'd be happy just to be onboard for my birthday and next year will be yeah!! Have been invited to anniversary get together with champagne and cake with 10 or so other couples. Have embarassed my hubby with the cake and singing in MDR but not for me, thank you. Maybe you should just bring some balloons with you and blow em up when the day comes?

last year we were on the connie ta to amsterdam and my birthday was the day before the cruise ended. i was so hoping the waiters wouldn't bring a cake to me or sing to me as i hate that. someone on celebity must have noticed my birthdate as i sure never mentioned it on my booking and of course here come the waiters with a small chocolate birthday cake to our table with all the singing included.

Wow-- didn't indicate your special occasion and got one anyway, whereas I can't get a cake if I remind them the day before!:p I guess it all comes out even in the end. Maybe they took a look at my girth and thought they were doing me a kindness by withholding cake!:o

As I said, I could take it or leave it if I got birthday cake, but it was our DD's first cruise and I wanted her to see what fun it is to be cruising on your birthday, and how Celebrity's service is (usually) par excellence. I can't say I was disappointed, maybe just a little annoyed that this happened two birthdays in a row, and even after I went out of my way to give them a gentle reminder. I can't exactly say I felt like a Celebrity.

The anniversary cake was different. It was part of the Renewal of Vows ceremony, so I paid for that sucker. Only one such event on board, in the best restaurant on board, and they dropped the ball, somewhat. What I didn't mention was we told the maître d' about the cake before we were seated on the last night, it was written down for the waiter, and they still had trouble.

Sometimes it's the little things that leave the most lasting impression.

If a company is going to offer a service (be it a celebratory cake or something else) then it should be provided, especially if the customer has met the requirements. If it is too much trouble, then perhaps Celebrity should just discontinue the practice, rather than adopt a hit-or-miss approach.

Sometimes it's the little things that leave the most lasting impression.

If a company is going to offer a service (be it a celebratory cake or something else) then it should be provided, especially if the customer has met the requirements. If it is too much trouble, then perhaps Celebrity should just discontinue the practice, rather than adopt a hit-or-miss approach.

Spot on! Thank you.

For those who wouldn't mention their birthdays or would rather not have them acknowledged, fine. With the exception of marbo40, Celebrity will (or should) disregard it if you don't mention it. For those of us who get a little tickle out of such things, to offer to do it and then to not properly follow through, even with the help of a reminder, does leave one wondering. Let me restate that I could take a birthday cake or leave it, but as long as you're offering, I don't mind. Just please don't offer to do it and then make a hash of it.

BTW, I filled out a comment card about the birthday cake-- not the survey at the end of the cruise, but a "How are we doing?" card that we got around the second day-- a nice addition, IMHO. I described the hilarity with the birthday cake (the anniversary cake was still in the future), told the woman at Guest Services when I dropped the card off that I wasn't looking for anything in the way of compensation, just thought they'd like to know. I was told they'd offer something for the trouble, anyway. Nothing ever happened. I could have made a fuss and said, "Whatever happened to that 'something for the trouble'?" but I really didn't want anything in the first place, so why bother? I ultimately did get my freakin' cake, so I'm not out anything. But another example of setting up an expectation and then not properly following through.