Fire on Noordam last night

alwaysfrantic

The little light idea is great, thank you. Where did you get your special ID card holder? It looks very sturdy and seems like it would be easy to take your keycard in and out.

Maybe an idea, we always have our keycards in a special ID card holder and attached to it, is a miniature key chain LED light. Size of about ¼ of a pencil, but with a very bright light. We have bought a handful online in China for less than a dollar a peace, so easy replaceable. You can also attach it to a lanyard keycard holder.

fotokey_zps1b46b373.jpg

Thanks for those pictures, John, especially the one of the hallway showing the green lights. I must admit that for a minute after hearing the fire announcement and returning to my cabin, I simply was trying to think what I had that was warm enough to wear and where were all the meds. Now, I think we'll follow the suggestions and keep everything together.

We had a fire on the Eurodam last October, in the kids area. It was in the middle f the night and the officer on watch ame through the staterooms with the announcement. Every few mins he, then the captain, updated progress. Turns out it was a wire smoking, no flame, and it was discovered very quickly to be no issue.

The com indication - even in the overnight - was excellent.

The little light idea is great, thank you. Where did you get your special ID card holder? It looks very sturdy and seems like it would be easy to take your keycard in and out.

It is very useful, with the clip in the middle, you can easily eject the card. Unfortunately it came with my job-ID. Maybe you can buy it somewhere, but I cannot help you there.

We had a fire on the Eurodam last October, in the kids area. It was in the middle f the night and the officer on watch ame through the staterooms with the announcement. Every few mins he, then the captain, updated progress. Turns out it was a wire smoking, no flame, and it was discovered very quickly to be no issue.

The com indication - even in the overnight - was excellent.

Com indication? Did I miss something?

A reminder that it's not a bad idea to have a small flashlight handy in your stateroom. It will make life easier for you to find your "stuff", incl. warm clothes and shoes, in the complete dark at night in case of a total power failure coupled with a general emergency alarm having been activated. Also, know the way to your muster station, not only from your stateroom, but from wherever you might find yourself on the vessel. Know the emergency lighting system ; green leads to red, an exit (similar to commercial aircraft) in the corridors (you'll always find them activated during the pax emergency drills and during crew drills)! Know what deck your muster station is on; know your lifeboat # and know if it is located on port (even boat #s) or starboard (odd boat #s). It pays to be prepared and to have a plan!

The danger of a fire onboard is taken very seriously! Each ship has an Incident Commander, four Fire Response teams (two Deck and two Engine) and several support teams who all drill constantly

Thanks for the pictures John.

We had a fire incident in May 2012 on the Zuiderdam, where apparently, there was a faulty vent in the incinerator. The alarm was sounded by the officer of the watch. The captain was somewhere downstairs at the time of the incident and rushed to the bridge, where his short of breath was momentarily audible over the PA. Excellent information was given and it was immediately clear to the crew that it was only the alarm that was set off at the incinerator, where fire is normal. However the firefighting crews were deployed, until they were given the all clear. All very reassuring.

I know a lot of practicing is needed and carried out for this and you can observe many practice drill on board, at sea and also in port, where I believe the larger drills are performed, when little passengers are on board.

..........................I know a lot of practicing is needed and carried out for this and you can observe many practice drill on board, at sea and also in port, where I believe the larger drills are performed, when little passengers are on board.

You're right Jeroen; the vast majority of the General Emergency Alarm (Fire) drills, at times evolving into a Abandon Ship drill for crew, take place when the ship is in port. MOB (Man Over Board) drills are also conducted on a regular basis as is training on Helivac (medical evacuation by helicopter), Mass Casualty Trauma events and Emergency (stairwell) Transport Devices. Training/Drilling is a constant event onboard and part of ship life for the crew

Edited by Copper10-8

You're right Jeroen; the vast majority of the General Emergency Alarm (Fire) drills, at times evolving into a Abandon Ship drill for crew, take place when the ship is in port. MOB (Man Over Board) drills are also conducted on a regular basis as is training on Helivac (medical evacuation by helicopter), Mass Casualty Trauma events and Emergency (stairwell) Transport Devices. Training/Drilling is a constant event onboard and part of ship life for the crew

SADMFireDrillDeck12_zpsd239fc33.jpg

Fire Drill

SADMGeneralEmergencyDrill_zpsd43d2f16.jpg

Abandon Ship Drill

SADMMOBDrill_zpsf7aa4556.jpg

MOB Drill

SADMMOBDrill2_zps48c769cd.jpg

MOB Drill

MADMmedicalemergencyTraumatraining_zps3a2a2cc8.jpg

Mass Casualty Trauma Training

MADMEmergencyTransportDevicetraining_zps3bba122c.jpg

Emergency Transport (stairwell) Device training

Wonderful photos, Copper 10-8!

On the Eurodam this September, during the crossing from Amsterdam to New York, there was a life saving drill involving the use of one of the rafts in the Mid-Ship Pool area. Mostly, the crew involved were 3rd and 4th Officers and the Cadets. A 2nd Officer in charge of safety provided narration for us guests. Being inclosed, it was difficult to hear the gentleman at times. But, what we all saw as to how the crew performed during the drill was most impressive.

I spoke with one of the Cadets after the drill was over and congratulated him on what I saw. While appreciative of my comments, the thing I remember the most was what he said: "I have so much to learn." Clearly, safety is a priority on Holland America Line.

Perhaps the reason that HAL takes fires so seriously is the little "incident" on October 4, 1980... Thats when a "minor fire" in the engine room of the Prinsendam got out of control... and spread to the Lido.

Good training got everyone off the ship, but it's a lesson that Holland America will probably never forget.