Free Cabin Offer, INSURANCE NEEDED?

sassy~one

When i booked my mom's free cabin offer, i was told insurance would cost us 49.00 each! IF i did not buy that ins. and we did not make it to the ship, we would be charged 1250 EACH.

Yes i accepted that as true, and paid the 98.00 What did you do? Was i mislead? Thanks in advance for your answer. d

That is exactly what was told to me too. And since the cruise is free, I paid the $100, too. Cheap insurance incase some reason we could not make it.

Now, whether or not it was just a way to get an extra $100 out of me, so be it. It is still a cheap cruise and depends on your situation whether you might miss the cruise or not.

I was not told that on my free cruise, nor was I offered Carnival's insurance. I did find this line on the confirmation:

Pack & Play Campaign: Carnival’s standard cancellation penalties will apply to cancellations and no-shows for any reason and will be assessed based on the prevailing cruise fare at the time of booking.

I bought private travel insurance and insured the amount I had to pay Carnival for the taxes and fees and the airfare. But, I mainly bought it for the medical coverage out of the country and the air ambulance etc.

Good luck to Carnival in trying to collect more than the taxes and fees and gratuities I paid if we can't get there. If they attempt to charge my credit card I will object to the charge because they do not have prior authority to charge more than the amount run for the taxes and fees.

Edited by DebJ14

I did find this line on the confirmation:

Pack & Play Campaign: Carnival’s standard cancellation penalties will apply to cancellations and no-shows for any reason and will be assessed based on the prevailing cruise fare at the time of booking.

Good luck to Carnival in trying to collect more than the taxes and fees and gratuities I paid if we can't get there. If they attempt to charge my credit card I will object to the charge because they do not have prior authority to charge more than the amount run for the taxes and fees.

Since you agreed to the cancellation charges when you booked you are on the hook for that amount if you cancel

I was told the same thing when I booked. Carnival told me 163 for insurance for 3 of us. I haven't taken it as of yet. I want to check and be sure it covers us for that cancel/ no show charge at the price of 163. I know the insurance is priced on how much you pay for your trip. But if Carnival deems the trip is worth more than what you paid, maybe the insurance will cost more? Just want to be sure I'm getting the right amount of insurance. If something happens, we would be charged around 3000 if we don't go. I only paid 900 for 3 of us in a balcony on the 8 day Breeze. No way could I afford that without the free offer. They didn't tell me I had to take theirs or anybody's insurance, it was just offered to me as it always has been offered in the past.

Tina

I too was told about paying going rate for cruise if i had to cancel for some reason. My dad is 90, I am not taking any chances. My mom passed last year 5 days before my sister was doing a B2B. She had to cancel. Glad she had insurance. worth it to me. I also paid $49pp and was told it covered for any reason.

I just called Carnival and spoke to a supervisor and I was advised that there have been several different offers for the free cruise. The offer I booked under in early December does NOT have any penalty except the forfeiture of the taxes and gratuities that were pre-paid. Those restrictions came with the later offers. The only requirement was that I have to sail since the offer was in my name and that there can be no name changes.

They consider my cruise fare to be $0.00 so I will not get hit with a huge penalty if for some reason we do not go.

I pulled the original offer and there is no mention of the penalty anywhere on it.

Edited by DebJ14

I had no idea. Was there something very specific about what you would owe or is it in the fine print?

The only thing I could find when we received our confirmation (in the important notes section) is as follows:

"Cancellations made after 3/24/14 will be assessed appropriate cancellation penalties"

But there was no mention of how much those penalties are.

I didn't get the insurance. I'm young and there is no way that I'm going cancel the cruise. So for me it was just a waste of $100.

Because young people never get in car accidents or do anything else that may cause injuries that prevent them from cruising?

I think about the number of 20 something's I've taken off the mountain on a toboggan in the past several days -- several that are in emergency surgery and won't be finishing their vacation. But heck they are young and started out saying -- it won't happen to me.

Hope nothing happens that causes you to miss your cruise, but young doesn't exempt you from life's challenges.

Yeah but if I were to miss my cruise then how could Carnival make me pay them? I don't know how they would get the money from me even when I booked my cruise the guy wondered if it would be possible for carnival to make me pay them if I canceled.

I am sure I will take a lashing for this but....

Sorry Shepard, but that is the problem with the young people today. "I wont pay what I rightfully should. What are they going to do to me? I know the rules but they don't apply to me." I am sure you make your mother proud.

Yeah but if I were to miss my cruise then how could Carnival make me pay them? I don't know how they would get the money from me even when I booked my cruise the guy wondered if it would be possible for carnival to make me pay them if I canceled.

Ahh - future of our country. Makes me shudder.

I booked my 'free' cruise 13 days ago, but declined the Carnival insurance at the time. Can I call back and get it at this point or just have to go with private insurance? Thanks for any help you can provide!

I have forgotten the rules, but typically you can buy their insurance up to so many days before your cruise.

Find out the cost they are saying you will pay if cancelling and insure for that amount and anything you are not covered for like airlift to hospital if your health insurance does not cover that while traveling. Also just google travel insurance and several companies are there representing many travel insurance companies; you can easily pick and choose from a graph of choices if your situations no longer match Carnivals. I prefer buying from another entity anyways. Good business sense to keep it separate IMHO....

I like to pay for cancel for any reason...I am 54..my nephew at 18 and college Freshman this Dec. broke a vertebrae on a toboggan run during winter finals and is still in a brace and soon we find if he needs surgery..we are so darn lucky he has his motor skills and has been a trooper in the brace...and his school health insurance has saved his behind..that and God and luck.

Get the insurance,,,,whatever you have to do...should not be horrible..worth every penny.

Edited by sjn911