Norovirus on 2/16/14 Explorer

Calois1016

I know most wouldn't agree with me but I NEVER eat or drink (did have a bottle of beer in Carlos n Charlie's)off the ship except on a private island. I am sure there are wonderful places to try but I hear this little voice in my head don't eat that. 30+ years ago very first cruise no stomach issues just very very high fever first me then DF. Ship doctor came to us if fever didn't break for DF in 24 hours he would be taken off the ship. Thank God it all worked out but you never know. Sick stinks on vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've eaten at Senor Frogs in Nassau at least 3 times and never had any issues. For us, in Nassau there aren't many other decent places to eat unless we go to Atlantis because I'm allergic to shrimp so we avoid all seafood, so no conch for us. We've stayed at Atlantis for 5 days and ate most meals there. Food handling in most of the islands is just as good as the States as long as you go to a real restaurant and not someone's backyard.

Noro is everywhere as are many other viruses. It's inevitable that someone will be sick anywhere you go. The hot tub shouldn't transmit anything between the temp and the chlorine/chemicals, plus they do clean them out regularly.

The fact is, people get sick and we can't always control everything and not everything is someone's fault.

Edited by BND

So now there has been two cruises on the Explorer of the Seas affected with the noro virus. You would think that the people in NJ who have the noro virus would have enough sense not to go on a cruise ship and give it to others. What a shame and to blame it on RC. RC is not at fault. It's the people who get it and share it with everyone else. Just my two cents.

You would think that the people in NJ who have the noro virus would have enough sense not to go on a cruise ship and give it to others. .

I think in a lot of cases, they board the ship not knowing they have it. It takes a few days to start getting the symptoms.

I mean afterall, Ive had Noro twice on land! NO WAY would I board a ship feeling like that! :eek:

Edited by ryano

So now there has been two cruises on the Explorer of the Seas affected with the noro virus. You would think that the people in NJ who have the noro virus would have enough sense not to go on a cruise ship and give it to others. What a shame and to blame it on RC. RC is not at fault. It's the people who get it and share it with everyone else. Just my two cents.

How do you know it's not crew members? Perhaps they got off the ship at a port and picked it up there? Or do you know something the rest of us (and the CDC) don't know?

Just so you know. There are no guarantees you make it to Coco Cay even on a cruise you arent sick on. Mother nature plays a BIG part in whether or not you will make it to "paradise" or not :) RCI does NOT compensate for missing that port.

So far Im 1 for 2 on Coco Cay because of high waves. On my Freedom cruise it turned into another day at sea.

I had to :rolleyes: at all the people lined up at Guest Services DEMANING compensation. :mad:

I've been on cruises that had to skip ports more than once. They usually add extra fun activities while at sea that you wouldn't ordinarily have seen. I never minded it at all....

I've been on cruises that had to skip ports more than once. They usually add extra fun activities while at sea that you wouldn't ordinarily have seen. I never minded it at all....

I didnt mind missing Coco Cay :) Ive "been there and done that" and can take it or leave it and I love sea days anyway. Besides, all that sand and my wheelchair dont get along and if I have to get someone to push me in one of those beach wheelchairs, I am no longer independent.

Never, EVER would I have thought about asking for compensation for missing Coco Cay. :confused:

As I stated in an earlier post, there were cases of noro on the previous cruise as well.

Just because it wasn't reported on here, doesn't mean people haven't been getting sick. there just, luckily, has not been a large outbreak.

I have a funny feeling that there have been cases since the large outbreak of the 21st of Jan cruise.

The crew are attending classes to teach them the proper ways of cleaning. The fruits/garnishes have been removed from all of the bars, for ex.

I highly doubt people are knowingly spreading it.

Omg - I was on same cruise with my 15 year old son. He became violently ill Wednesday night, the 19th (around 10pm). Took him to medical facility next morning and he was also quarantined.

We had heard about the outbreak of on Explorer in late January and were super careful - We used the purell often and constantly were washing our hands. It was inevitable that I would catch it from my son considering I was in such close quarters with him and taking care of him. It hit me Saturday night! What steams me is that even being vigilant about cleanliness, and we still became ill!

My best guess where my son picked up this nasty virus was either the arcade where hundreds of kids are playing games or the coke machines where so many people are using the touch screens. One interesting thing we have in common is that we also ate at Señor Frogs - we shared an appetizer. I don't think it was their food or we would have both gotten sick around the same time though.

Not sure what our cruise credit will be. Pretty much half our cruise was a disaster - my son could barely eat even after his symptoms subsided and could barely stand all the different smells in the Windjammer Cafe.

On the upside, this was my 6th cruise with RCCL and the only problem with illness so probably will cruise with them again. ( probably not in winter season though when virus is more prevalent)

It seems to me that on this certain cruise Senor Frogs is the common link. Noro would have completely taken over the ship. Moro doesn't just hit seven or eight people, it runs rampant when it hits. All it takes is that one time you put something in your mouth before washing your hands or maybe someone touching a piece of food that you ate when they were infected. That's why I don't do buffets! Yuck! Stop blaming RCCL. There is no flashing red light that displays on someone's forehead when they have a infectious illness. More likely, look at the places you eat and things you touch while in port where cleanliness isn't so likely.

I would bet you those from NJ would stay home if they knew they were not feeling well as they won't loose airfare, and the rest of their traveling plans. On the other hand, those that had to fly in will be on the ship because they have much more to loose. Take a look at those sailing on Explorer, most are not from NJ :cool:. Would you say the same thing if the ship sailed from NY or Florida? Sorry, but just tired on NJ getting slammed all the time for no real reason.

I agree, it is not RCs fault, but please don't blame it on one state, it is a much bigger issue than that.

I would bet you those from NJ would stay home if they knew they were not feeling well as they won't loose airfare, and the rest of their traveling plans. On the other hand, those that had to fly in will be on the ship because they have much more to loose. Take a look at those sailing on Explorer, most are not from NJ :cool:. Would you say the same thing if the ship sailed from NY or Florida? Sorry, but just tired on NJ getting slammed all the time for no real reason.

I agree, it is not RCs fault, but please don't blame it on one state, it is a much bigger issue than that.

It just seems strange that the virus is only on one ship. That is my point or have there been other RC ships with it in recent weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It just seems strange that the virus is only on one ship. That is my point or have there been other RC ships with it in recent weeks?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My girlfriend just got off the Grandeur last week and she said there was a couple cases of Noro on her cruise. They received a letter in their cabin stating so. Don't think it was really bad though. I think more people are cautious now. Let's hope it stays that way.

Gwen :)

I think in a lot of cases, they board the ship not knowing they have it. It takes a few days to start getting the symptoms.

I mean afterall, Ive had Noro twice on land! NO WAY would I board a ship feeling like that! :eek:

So true! Last time I got Noro virus , I was on an airplane from Denver to North Carolina going to a conference. I got sick within a couple of hours of arriving at the hotel. Was sick in bed for the whole conference. I felt so bad for my room mate. Needless to Say, she didn't spend much time in the room. :o

I know this is purely anecdotal but I have been on over 60 cruises and the only time I got the virus was when I took a plane trip from Arizona back to Atlanta. The plane was filthy and just about 48 hours after I got home it hit me. That makes me wonder if people actually get the virus on the plane trip to the cruise and it shows up 2 days into their cruise.

Just a theory of mine.

It took the CDC a few days to diagnose the "sick cruise" to be caused by noro. Now everyone assumes that anyone that gets sick onboard is caused by noro. Now I am not saying that there haven't been cases of noro or that there has since the "sick cruise" but lets look at some of the deciding factors. It has been FREEZING cold in NJ the past month+, everyone knows this is cold season and the weather isn't helping. Then we head down to warmer weather on a cruise ship. Most people break their routine eating habits while onboard, as well as breaking their sleep schedules, and in many cases we drink considerably more alcohol that we would at home. Everyone one of these factors is a shock to a persons system, at some point the immune system is overwhelmed. Might it have been noro, or course. Might it have been the mind controling the body, placebo effect, of course. Might it have been something else, of course.

Save and healthy travels

How do you know it's not crew members? Perhaps they got off the ship at a port and picked it up there? Or do you know something the rest of us (and the CDC) don't know?

And how do you know yourself one way or the other, kind of a worthless post...:rolleyes:

And how do you know yourself one way or the other, kind of a worthless post...:rolleyes:

Oh I definitely don't know, and I never said that I did. I was pointing out that their statement declaring that it was not RCI's fault might not be correct.

Edited by time4u2go

Whenever there is Noro on a cruise the percentage of crew with Noro is always much lower than the percentage of passengers with it. And that is despite the fact that they handle all our dirty dishes. They also tend to be more diligent about washing their hands frequently and properly.