Galveston Cruises Are Overpriced

EAZYLIVING

Come on Carnival. You need to show some real love to your Texan cruisers. Your prices are 1.5 to twice as high as east coast cruises. Give us a break. We want to cruise too. If I have to pay that much than, "Hello Royal Caribbean here I come!!":D

Come on Carnival. You need to show some real love to your Texan cruisers. Your prices are 1.5 to twice as high as east coast cruises. Give us a break. We want to cruise too. If I have to pay that much than, "Hello Royal Caribbean here I come!!":D

Supply and demand :/

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Is Royal really cheaper than Carnival out of Galveston? If so, you should definitely give them a try! I've been reading about the upgrades to the Navigator of the Seas and they sound fantastic. What's holding you back? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is Royal really cheaper than Carnival out of Galveston? If so, you should definitely give them a try! I've been reading about the upgrades to the Navigator of the Seas and they sound fantastic. What's holding you back? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're sailing out of Galveston on Navigator because the price was about the same for a balcony. We've been wanting to do RCI for awhile but didn't because they were just seasonal out of Galveston and the timing or never really worked out right.

All this chatter about bringing a third ship to Galveston makes me wonder how severe Carnival would have to discount their cruises so I don't see them doing that. I'm definitely looking forward to sailing RCI in September, a change will be nice.

Agreed with the OP.

Our last cruise we took in summer of 2012. I would have loved to have sailed out of Galveston on the Magic as it's in our home state and closer. However it was cost prohibitive.

We ended up doing the exact same 7 day itinerary out of New Orleans on the Carnival Conquest for about $1200 cheaper for my family of 4. We ended up driving to NO a day early

and staying in a hotel and it still saved hundreds.

Edited by hassellcastle

Last week we booked a Lido deck balcony on Magic for our next cruise. It was one of the least expensive cruises we've ever booked.

The air from Boston was half the cost of the cruise.

We only cruise from Galveston and have done well because we can go pretty much when we want, and I just really watch the prices. Sometimes hard to understand why they flip flop so much. Our balcony on Navigator in November started at like $1800 for both of us and since have gotten 3 price changes and ended up with $1265 total with $90 OBC from TA and $100 OBC from next cruise certificate. Same cruise is over $1600 for two now. Our Carnival Magic cruise on Mar 16 for a balcony is $2049 , making the Navigator cruise much cheaper , and it goes to Costa Maya instead of Belize.It only does the Costa Maya stop on May 6.This is a personal thing also about RC, but we are glad they eliminated smoking on balconies.. Please do not flame me for this as I myself smoked one time, and have since learned that when you do not the smoke is really bothersome. If we could get a flight cheap enough I would consider a Southern carib. as we have seen the same ports over and over.Otherwise we are really lucky to just have a 3 1/2 hr. drive.

Edited by overthehillcruiser

Cruises are priced based on an algorithm to maximize profits. If a ship is selling well, then the prices go up. If the ship isn't selling well, the prices go down. Carnival has sold a LOT of cruises over the years and knows exactly how and when people book cruises.

Living close has allowed us to take lots of cruise vacations from Galveston. We find prices are a premium around school holidays and summer. One variable is many drive to Galveston, and it is supply and demand.

The Magic is priced really competitive after September 1 this year and prior to May.

The Triumph is always higher in the cost per day, and some 4 day sailings are more expensive than 5 day. Progresso is so nice...

Past guest rates and over 55 help, but our last spring break trip aboard the Imagination for 4 nights was far less than the Triumph for the same time slot.

Galveston is a high demand port, a third terminal was announced this week. We are a long way past that bathtub called the Celebration...

Edited by BallFour4

Living close has allowed us to take lots of cruise vacations from Galveston. We find prices are a premium around school holidays and summer. One variable is many drive to Galveston, and it is supply and demand.

The Magic is priced really competitive after September 1 this year and prior to May.

The Triumph is always higher in the cost per day, and some 4 day sailings are more expensive than 5 day. Progresso is so nice...

Past guest rates and over 55 help, but our last spring break trip aboard the Imagination for 4 nights was far less than the Triumph for the same time slot.

Galveston is a high demand port, a third terminal was announced this week. We are a long way past that bathtub called the Celebration...

I thought the Celebration was really nice. Not a bathtub as you called it.

I agree that Galveston cruises seem to be priced higher, but it's all relative for us. We could cruise a lot cheaper out of, say, Port Canaveral, but we would have to pay $1000 to fly there! It's much cheaper for us to fly (or drive, if we have the time) to Houston. It all evens out in the wash for us. Just my 2 cents. :)