Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

My fiance and I are 40 & 41. We have been on several cruises... Princess, Carnival and RCL. We chose Celebrity because it seemed a little more laid back and to be honest with you........I KNOW I'm going to get FLAMED! But we picked this cruise line because we thought it would be quiet, slow paced and a bit boring. We both are professionals with VERY hetic careers and we were looking forward to some quiet peaceful down time together with NO KIDS. This is our time where we can just enjoy having a drink, and actually be able to hold a conversation without the phone, kids, or work interruping us. This was going to be our "catch up time". I really am going to be disappointed if these reviews are accurate about the loud music. I do love loud music.......but there is a time and a place. Like out 5th row concert tickets when we saw Fleetwood mac, not when I'm trying to unwind and spend time with the one I love.

By the way......when I say boring....I mean not 100 activities going on at all times through the ship.

My fiance and I are 40 & 41. We have been on several cruises... Princess, Carnival and RCL. We chose Celebrity because it seemed a little more laid back and to be honest with you........I KNOW I'm going to get FLAMED! But we picked this cruise line because we thought it would be quiet, slow paced and a bit boring. We both are professionals with VERY hetic careers and we were looking forward to some quiet peaceful down time together with NO KIDS. This is our time where we can just enjoy having a drink, and actually be able to hold a conversation without the phone, kids, or work interruping us. This was going to be our "catch up time". I really am going to be disappointed if these reviews are accurate about the loud music. I do love loud music.......but there is a time and a place. Like out 5th row concert tickets when we saw Fleetwood mac, not when I'm trying to unwind and spend time with the one I love.

By the way......when I say boring....I mean not 100 activities going on at all times through the ship.

There were plenty of quiet areas last year on the Equinox, and at tht time reports of loud music had been reported, too. Yes, the martini bar was jumping. Yes, there were band in the atrium. Yes, the music was loud, but not one of the four of us had an issue at any time while at the martini bar conversing. Never did we feel like we were driven crazy from the music. Can't wait to see how it is when we go back in four weeks. I am really starting to think that many people have more sensitivity to certain volumes than others. Wonder if some people aren't as bothered due to wax build-up in their ears? Wonder if some are bothered due to wearing hearing aids? Wonder if some people have such acute hearing that they can't tolerate certain decibel levels versus someone who has dulled hearing. Last year's cruise definitely had loud music, but it was loud, good music, but I was more excited by it than disturbed.

There were plenty of quiet areas last year on the Equinox, and at tht time reports of loud music had been reported, too. Yes, the martini bar was jumping. Yes, there were band in the atrium. Yes, the music was loud, but not one of the four of us had an issue at any time while at the martini bar conversing. Never did we feel like we were driven crazy from the music. Can't wait to see how it is when we go back in four weeks. I am really starting to think that many people have more sensitivity to certain volumes than others. Wonder if some people aren't as bothered due to wax build-up in their ears? Wonder if some are bothered due to wearing hearing aids? Wonder if some people have such acute hearing that they can't tolerate certain decibel levels versus someone who has dulled hearing. Last year's cruise definitely had loud music, but it was loud, good music, but I was more excited by it than disturbed.

If the music is too loud to be able to have a conversation with the person next to you and you are not at a concert then it is too loud!! And if it at a decibel level that will damage hearing than it is too loud

A person with a hearing aid can at least turn it off .

... seriously .. do we have wax build up????? I am lucky to still have normal hearing and would like to keep it

My fiance and I are 40 & 41. We have been on several cruises... Princess, Carnival and RCL. We chose Celebrity because it seemed a little more laid back and to be honest with you........I KNOW I'm going to get FLAMED! But we picked this cruise line because we thought it would be quiet, slow paced and a bit boring. We both are professionals with VERY hectic careers and we were looking forward to some quiet peaceful down time together with NO KIDS. This is our time where we can just enjoy having a drink, and actually be able to hold a conversation without the phone, kids, or work interrupting us. This was going to be our "catch up time". I really am going to be disappointed if these reviews are accurate about the loud music. I do love loud music.......but there is a time and a place. Like out 5th row concert tickets when we saw Fleetwood mac, not when I'm trying to unwind and spend time with the one I love.

I am not going to flame you - but agree with you!! :) We personally go on a cruise to get some great R&R. And in the past X has provided that for us. I am REALLY worried that I have lost my "preferred" cruise line. The one that I knew would provide that wonderful relaxed feeling. We usually go Aqua Class and enjoy dining in Blu, Persian Gardens and the wonderful Solarium. I was one click away from booking another cruise on Reflections, when I saw all this "talk" about the super loud music on board. I sure hope X reads and RESPONDS to all these concerns on these threads. As I for one, have postponed my booking for a cruise in April. I am sure there are plenty of lurkers who feel the same way. Waiting to read what X has to say on this topic.

Celebrity where is your response........

If the music is too loud to be able to have a conversation with the person next to you and you are not at a concert then it is too loud!! And if it at a decibel level that will damage hearing than it is too loud

A person with a hearing aid can at least turn it off .

... seriously .. do we have wax build up????? I am lucky to still have normal hearing and would like to keep it

I clearly stated in my post that we WERE able to have a conversation. Therefore, the music obviously was not too loud. And I was very serious about wax build-up. I have extreme wax build-up, if you must know, and was not sensitive to the volume of the music was my point. Not trying to be flippant at all. Just wondering if the wax acts as kind of an ear plug, therefore I am not as sensitive as others. So the answer to your FIVE question marks is yes, I AM serious. Sorry if you think it is comical, but if others are talking about cilia hairs in ear canals being damaged, I can talk about ear wax:rolleyes:

Edited by 4cats4me

MAYBE CELEBRITY THINKS THAT AS I AGE, MY HEARING IS GOING. :D:D. PERHAPS THEY ARE ONLY TRYING TO KEEP ME HAPPY.

Enjoy

M

You may have a point here. ;)

On my Solstice cruise in January, I noticed even the main theatre volume was also overly load (and to the extent the sound engineer didn't control it properly and we had audio feedback, which is the first time I've had that on a cruise). That's aside from the main atrium music issue which is readily apparent.

I'd just been off an RCL cruise a couple of weeks earlier and the volume in their theatre was at normal levels, so I don't see why Celebrity is trying to push the bar above their system lines, across many areas of the ship.

Ugh, this ridiculous subject again. I would like to thank everyone who speaks on behalf of Generation X (my group) or the Millennials on what we do and don't like when we are going on a cruise. Entertainment is not the reason I select a cruise line.

I believe that for many the complaints is not completely about the levels of music but the type of music. I'm sorry that the soft rock soothings of Celine Dion, Dan Folgelberg and the other soft treacle from the 60s & 70s can't be heard on every venue of the ship. For one, I'm appreciative that there is variety and I support Celebrity's initiative.

I think you are correct. If it were Frank Sinatra playing loud, I doubt we would be hearing the same complaints. I've heard complaints about Celebrity playing rap music, I've never heard rap music on Celebrity, but have heard some hip hop music. Some have said they hear heavy metal, which again I've never heard, but have heard some softer rock. I think it is definitely the type of music that people are complaining about.

I have no problem with the volume or the music that is played. I would hope that Celebrity would play all types of music, so that everyone can enjoy some of the music. I don't want to sit out by the pool and listen to easy listening music, where people are falling asleep, I'd like to hear today's hits, afterall I'm on vacation and want to have some fun.

I think you are correct. If it were Frank Sinatra playing loud, I doubt we would be hearing the same complaints. I've heard complaints about Celebrity playing rap music, I've never heard rap music on Celebrity, but have heard some hip hop music. Some have said they hear heavy metal, which again I've never heard, but have heard some softer rock. I think it is definitely the type of music that people are complaining about.

I have no problem with the volume or the music that is played. I would hope that Celebrity would play all types of music, so that everyone can enjoy some of the music. I don't want to sit out by the pool and listen to easy listening music, where people are falling asleep, I'd like to hear today's hits, afterall I'm on vacation and want to fall sleep

AGREE

Is it really that difficult for Celebrity to get the message. It's not the variety of music that's the problem. It just needs to be at a reasonable level. That has nothing to do with age.

I totally agree.

But I am concerned because last year my DH and I talked our family into celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary on the Silhouette this month. Our 2 grandchildren ages 10 and 3 will be with us too. I will be very upset if most areas of the ship are flooded with music that is too loud for anyone, adults or children. If this indeed is the case I will be cancelling all of our future cruises and look for other ways to spend our vacations.

Recorded music should always be background sound unless you're in the nightclub. Bartenders are the best for sensing what their customers want and should be able to control the volume of all entertainment in their area.

I think you are right, but who does the bartender listen to.....those that want it low or those that want it loud? Celebrity is never going to make everyone happy. You might want it lower and I might want it louder. The thing Celebrity could do, is to have different music at different levels at different venues; that way everyone would be able to enjoy the music or almost silence.

While some people have diminished hearing capabilities as they age, some individuals like myself have a very strong sense of hearing. Anything at a loud volume, music, a TV, etc. I find annoying and disruptive.

Hi Folks

Yes it is! why because loud music WILL damage your hearing and WILL damage the hearing of the venue staff.

Celebrity are aware of this.

There is a risk of litigation that they also should be aware of.

So YES we should all be concerned.

Regards

John

Have to disagree. I've gone to more than 2,000+ concerts over my 30+ years in the music industry and just had my hearing check and I have no hearing loss.

Celebrity do your research with regard to decibels, before making any changes. Please keep the music loud enough so we can actually enjoy it!

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think you are right, but who does the bartender listen to.....those that want it low or those that want it loud? Celebrity is never going to make everyone happy. You might want it lower and I might want it louder. The thing Celebrity could do, is to have different music at different levels at different venues; that way everyone would be able to enjoy the music or almost silence.

The point people are trying to make is it's not a question of loud or low. There's nothing wrong with loud but when it gets to the point where you can't hear someone right next to you it's too loud. It doesn't matter if it's Sinatra, Pharrell Williams, techno, Beyoncé or Queen...if it's too loud, it's too loud. People aren't stupid, they know it when they hear it.

Edited by Ma Bell

Have to disagree. I've gone to more than 2,000+ concerts over my 30+ years in the music industry and just had my hearing check and I have no hearing loss.

Celebrity do your research with regard to decibels, before making any changes. Please keep the music loud enough so we can actually enjoy it!

Could not agree with you more. Sound like anything else is subjective. Until actual sound decibel level tests are conducted, leave things as they are.

I don't know who at Celebrity had the not so brilliant idea that loud music will equal attracting a younger demographic, but you can't be more wrong. Music volume does seem to be part and parcel of the 16 to 25 year old males who pound music at the highest levels in their automobiles, but you'll not find that with the supposed 30-something people you claim to want to attract. There were a number of younger passengers on our Equinox cruise, and they were complaining about the volume of the music in several venues.

Let's talk honestly here. Whether you like it or not, Celebrity has set it demographics for many years. Just like HAL has the reputation of being for the walker set (and no matter how hard they've tried, they just can't shake that rep), Celebrity attracts the 50-somethings. Loud music will NOT bring on the demographic you seem to covet.

You want a younger demographic? Start by offering entertainment that will attract that group. The musical groups you have on board will not attract the younger passengers because they don't play music from that generation. Face it, the groups you hire play music from the generations of the 50 and 60-somethings. And, while some of your productions shows are good, that kind of entertainment won't attract younger passengers, for the most part.

So, what I'm saying is, stick that idea of super loud music attracting a younger passenger back in the drawer. It won't work. As another thread says, the Carnivalization of Celebrity is a bad idea, and you should continue to work on making Celebrity the best cruise line it can be, regardless of the age of your passengers.

Here,here! I second the motion!

I vowed "never again" on a Carnival Splendor cruise in the Mexican riviera. The loud distorted volume was a deal breaker for me. If X goes down that road, my Benjamins are going elsewhere.

However one in five American teens already have some hearing loss

See below

The staff in the venues are exposed to sound levels that put Celebrity in a very difficult position , Celebrity are aware of the noise level and are obliged to protect their staff and their customers from hearing damage.

regardless of the fact you have been lucky other will not be, Celebrity could end up paying out a large compensation payment, there are plenty of leagal firms that will take on such a case with relish.

If you're listening to Katy Perry pop or The Red Hot Chili Peppers rock and have to raise your voice to be heard over the music, it's time to turn the volume down. Listening to loud music for too long can damage sensitive structures in the inner ear and lead to permanent hearing loss.

Today, one in five American teens already have some hearing loss, according to a study in August 18 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. That's a 30 percent increase from 15 years ago.

A person exposed to noise levels at 85 decibels or higher for a prolonged period of time is at risk for hearing loss.

How loud is too loud?

You shouldn't listen to music , or be exposed to any noise, at 85 decibels for more than 8 hours at a time, said Gordon Hughes, program officer of clinical trials at the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD). If you've got the volume cranked to 88 decibels, then cut your listening time down to 4 hours.

At its loudest, an MP3 player pumps out 105 decibels that's 100 times more intense than 85 decibels.

The trouble is, you may not feel any symptoms or know that you're putting your ears at risk. Young ears are more resilient than older ones.

"It's more difficult for kids to perceive the noxious effect of pollution noise," Hughes said.

What can you can do protect your hearing?

"One way you can tell if your music is too loud is if you're talking to a friend and you have to raise your voice to be heard," Hughes said. Normal conversation is around 60 decibels. "That's a crude but helpful way to estimate whether ambient noise is too loud."

You can do online research about your MP3 player to find where the 85-decibel mark is, and keep your volume turned below it.

At rock concerts, keeping your distance from the speakers and wearing some kind of protection can shield your ears. Inserts made of foam are the most common, says Hughes, but the least helpful. "They take the edge off."

An ear muff, or protective head phone will also offer some quiet. But the best option, Hughes said, is to get a custom fit ear mold that fits into your ear canal and can cut down an estimated 60 decibels.

Be on the lookout for signs that you've been listening to tunes too loud. You may notice sounds are muffled and that it's harder to hear. You may also feel pressure or a blocked sensation, and ringing in the ear . "These are hallmarks of temporary hearing damage," Hughes said.

About 26 million Americans between the ages of 20 and 69 have lost the ability to hear high-frequencies from overexposure to loud noises at work or during leisure activities, like turning up their music too loud, according to the NIDCD.

"Prevention is really the name of the game," Hughes said. "Once you've got a hearing impairment from noise, the only thing you can do is consider a hearing aid."

And who will pay for the bartenders hearing aids ??

best regards

John

Hi all,

We have been reading the comments on this thread, as well as the other thread. While we don't want to comment on the demographics discussion, as well as who we are attracting, we can say that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud. Apologies that we can't comment any further (at least for now), but wanted to at least let everyone know that we aren't ignoring these discussions, and are in fact looking into this.

We like music at the pool but there is no reason to keep the volume so loud. We our in the upper 60's but our 40 year-old kids and our young grandchildren agree that it is too loud. In a trendy restaurant they turn up the volume because people eat faster with loud music and the tables turn over quicker.. That should not be the goal on Celebrity!

Have to disagree. There's a lot of research that shows the impact loud noises have on hearing - and I know a number of people with hearing loss due to it!

You may be fortunate so far, but that doesn't disprove the fact (just like the smoker who says they live to 100 doesn't mean smoking isn't harmful for health, despite how some tried to use that argument).

I would hope that Celebrity would play all types of music, so that everyone can enjoy some of the music. I don't want to sit out by the pool and listen to easy listening music, where people are falling asleep, I'd like to hear today's hits, afterall I'm on vacation and want to have some fun.

I don't think people are stupid. They're not complaining about the types of music, they're complaining about the volume of it.

I'm happy to hear today's hits as well, especially in the disco. But hearing loud noises harshly reflecting off the hard surfaces and open space of the atrium isn't my idea of fun. And as mentioned, having overly loud performances in the theatre also damages the enjoyment.

What do many people want on their cruise besides good food, excellent service and a clean cabin? A restful and enjoyable holiday. For many that means a well-stocked bar to sit at and enjoy a drink with with people you like and would like to talk to. If quiet corners are so rare that you have to escape to your cabin to find some rest and be understood when talking to somebody next to you without having to shout something is wrong. It doesn't matter which kind of music it is and what age you are. You pay a lot to have an enjoyable vacation - and if that is diminished because of severe cost-cutting in some areas and loud noise you can't escape you look elsewhere to give your money to.

Our last cruise (TA) on Equinox sent us more often to our cabin than we would have done voluntarily: but the "music" in the atrium could be heard throughout most of the public spaces - but we hadn't booked a techno concert every afternoon and evening. We couldn't use the library or the card room, the Martini Bar or Café al Bacio or the bar ( forgot its name) on the guest relations deck. We couldn't evade it by using the sunset bar aft because there were quite a lot of diesel fumes and soot this cruise because of the wind direction. The Sky Lounge was extremely chilly in the evening and rather boring because it was rarely used. They also seemed to play the same tape each and every evening, and the party band had the same songs every evening, too.

It's one of the reasons that we would like the S-Class ships because they're really beautiful ships, but the noise level is so high that we tend to prefer the smaller M-Class and have started to look elsewhere to give our money to. With the inflated prices for the 2014/2015 itineraries , the hassle with the customer service and the noise level we mentioned it may be time to try Cunard or Azamara.

The point people are trying to make is it's not a question of loud or low. There's nothing wrong with loud but when it gets to the point where you can't hear someone right next to you it's too loud. It doesn't matter if it's Sinatra, Pharrell Williams, techno, Beyoncé or Queen...if it's too loud, it's too loud. People aren't stupid, they know it when they hear it.

People like different levels of music. What is loud to you, is not necessarily considered loud by everyone. I have to disagree with you with regard to the type of music. Go back over many of the posts on the music and people say it was rap, metal, screeching ladies, techno, etc. that they don't like.

No, people are not stupid, it is just that we all have different tastes as far as how we like to listen to music. I for one, don't want to hear the conversations around me, I want to hear the music. I've never been to a venue on Celebrity where I thought the music is loud and, believe me, I've been to some really, really concerts and there is no comparision between them and Celebrity's music.

However one in five American teens already have some hearing loss

See below

The staff in the venues are exposed to sound levels that put Celebrity in a very difficult position , Celebrity are aware of the noise level and are obliged to protect their staff and their customers from hearing damage.

regardless of the fact you have been lucky other will not be, Celebrity could end up paying out a large compensation payment, there are plenty of leagal firms that will take on such a case with relish.

If you're listening to Katy Perry pop or The Red Hot Chili Peppers rock and have to raise your voice to be heard over the music, it's time to turn the volume down. Listening to loud music for too long can damage sensitive structures in the inner ear and lead to permanent hearing loss.

Today, one in five American teens already have some hearing loss, according to a study in August 18 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. That's a 30 percent increase from 15 years ago.

A person exposed to noise levels at 85 decibels or higher for a prolonged period of time is at risk for hearing loss.

How loud is too loud?

You shouldn't listen to music , or be exposed to any noise, at 85 decibels for more than 8 hours at a time, said Gordon Hughes, program officer of clinical trials at the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD). If you've got the volume cranked to 88 decibels, then cut your listening time down to 4 hours.

At its loudest, an MP3 player pumps out 105 decibels that's 100 times more intense than 85 decibels.

The trouble is, you may not feel any symptoms or know that you're putting your ears at risk. Young ears are more resilient than older ones.

"It's more difficult for kids to perceive the noxious effect of pollution noise," Hughes said.

What can you can do protect your hearing?

"One way you can tell if your music is too loud is if you're talking to a friend and you have to raise your voice to be heard," Hughes said. Normal conversation is around 60 decibels. "That's a crude but helpful way to estimate whether ambient noise is too loud."

You can do online research about your MP3 player to find where the 85-decibel mark is, and keep your volume turned below it.

At rock concerts, keeping your distance from the speakers and wearing some kind of protection can shield your ears. Inserts made of foam are the most common, says Hughes, but the least helpful. "They take the edge off."

An ear muff, or protective head phone will also offer some quiet. But the best option, Hughes said, is to get a custom fit ear mold that fits into your ear canal and can cut down an estimated 60 decibels.

Be on the lookout for signs that you've been listening to tunes too loud. You may notice sounds are muffled and that it's harder to hear. You may also feel pressure or a blocked sensation, and ringing in the ear . "These are hallmarks of temporary hearing damage," Hughes said.

About 26 million Americans between the ages of 20 and 69 have lost the ability to hear high-frequencies from overexposure to loud noises at work or during leisure activities, like turning up their music too loud, according to the NIDCD.

"Prevention is really the name of the game," Hughes said. "Once you've got a hearing impairment from noise, the only thing you can do is consider a hearing aid."

And who will pay for the bartenders hearing aids ??

best regards

John

Young folks of today, have hearing problems because of ear bud and headphones and the levels that they are playing music on their Ipods, etc., not music played in restaurants or bars. We are not talking about concerts here, we are talking about music played around the ship.

Come on, there are many, many places in the ship where music is not be played or not being played at any volume. No one is listening to this music over 8 hours a day. If one doesn't like the volume or type of music, they can move to another location where they like the music or volume.

As I said, Celebrity please, please do your research before you change the volume of the music and not because some are saying that you will have to pay for hearing aids for staff members or be sued for a passenger's hearing loss.

I don't think people are stupid. They're not complaining about the types of music, they're complaining about the volume of it.

I'm happy to hear today's hits as well, especially in the disco. But hearing loud noises harshly reflecting off the hard surfaces and open space of the atrium isn't my idea of fun. And as mentioned, having overly loud performances in the theatre also damages the enjoyment.

Who said people are stupid? I certainly never said that; I've only said that some prefer louder music than others, just as some prefer different genres of music.

I obviously enjoy the music at a louder volume than you do. What you consider overly loud music, doesn't mean that everyone feels that way. We all have different tastes - I guess Celebrity should do a fleetwide survey and see if the loudness and types of music are a problem or not.