MDR on Dressy Night? Allowed in?

NSAHO79

Hi there,

I hope this is not a stupid question. My DH and I have only cruised about eight times and mostly on NCL. Although I can easily "dress up" for Gala Night my husband refuses to take a suit, dress shoes, etc. So we have NEVER eaten in the MDR on Gala nights because I presumed we would not be allowed in unless he was wearing a suit. Now I have read that as long as he is presentable then they would let us in. We have been missing out on the lobster and prime rib for years! So, he would be wearing pressed Dockers and a long-sleeved dress shirt with loafers and I would be wearing a dressy pantsuit. I would like to find out beforehand if others have entered the MDR similarly dressed on Gala night. Thanks so much.

Otherwise it will be back to the buffet.

I've seen guys in board shorts and t-shirts in the DR on formal night. They say they enforce the dress code but they don't.

Having said that, what you described your husband as wearing meets the dress code for formal night. My husband wears that every time, no suit, definitely no tie! :)

We are just off the Sunshine and we saw many, many people in shorts and T-shirts or tank tops on "Elegant" night. There is no dress code enforcement, so you and your husband will be fine no matter what you choose to wear. Enjoy the lobster!

I have only been on Carnival 1 time. I am silver on NCL. From what I observed on my 1 Carnival cruise is they are pretty similar for what people may be wearing in the MDR. And what you are describing would have gotten your husband in on the dress up or not night on NCL without any problems, in fact he would have been one of the more dressed up people.

He'll be absolutely fine for Elegant nights on Carnival cruises. :)

LuLu

~~~

I personally think it's nice to have one or two nights when you dress up for dinner but so many Carnival cruisers disagree that if they strictly enforced the dress code the dining room would be empty :eek: I have found only a dozen or so men will wear a jacket, half as many will wear a tie and only the maître 'd and I would be in a tux. (I stopped packing my tux for any Carnival cruise- what's the point :( )

I personally think it's nice to have one or two nights when you dress up for dinner but so many Carnival cruisers disagree that if they strictly enforced the dress code the dining room would be empty :eek: I have found only a dozen or so men will wear a jacket, half as many will wear a tie and only the maître 'd and I would be in a tux. (I stopped packing my tux for any Carnival cruise- what's the point :( )

You're making it sound like a coat and tie are required on elegant night and Carnival is not enforcing that part of the dress code. That is absolutely incorrect. No tie or coat is required on elegant night.

The DH hasn't worn a tie, jacket, or suit on dress-up night on either NCL or Carnival for years! No problem! He wears just what you said your DH wears. Either a nice dress shirt or a nice collared polo shirt and a pair of khakis or nice black jeans. Shorts and tank tops are not permitted on dress-up nights but as other posters have said...you'll never know what the heck you're gong to see!!:eek:

You're making it sound like a coat and tie are required on elegant night and Carnival is not enforcing that part of the dress code. That is absolutely incorrect. No tie or coat is required on elegant night.

You are quite correct. Jackets nor ties are required on Elegant night and I did not intend to imply that it was. I was saying that the dress code that does exist is often not followed by many passengers or enforced by Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

On our last cruise one of our table mates was not allowed in because he had shorts on for cruise elegant night.

Since he had not brought any long pants he went to the gift shop and purchased what looked like a warm-up suit and wore the pants.

No shorts was enforced. The only time I have seen it. Maybe it is a change for the good.

Hi there,

I hope this is not a stupid question. My DH and I have only cruised about eight times and mostly on NCL. Although I can easily "dress up" for Gala Night my husband refuses to take a suit, dress shoes, etc. So we have NEVER eaten in the MDR on Gala nights because I presumed we would not be allowed in unless he was wearing a suit. Now I have read that as long as he is presentable then they would let us in. We have been missing out on the lobster and prime rib for years! So, he would be wearing pressed Dockers and a long-sleeved dress shirt with loafers and I would be wearing a dressy pantsuit. I would like to find out beforehand if others have entered the MDR similarly dressed on Gala night. Thanks so much.

Otherwise it will be back to the buffet.[/QU

I wear a hawaiian shirt and slacks for dressy night and all the other nights as well.

what you have described will be just fine as others have said. I DO NOT dress fancy for formal night or what ever you want to call it.. Others do and good for them but I am on vacation so no gown for me, yes, maybe a nice dress or pantsuit but no formal gown. so you both will fit in nicely so enjoy your meal and your cruise.;)

As others have said, your DH will be dressed fine as you describe it. I think calling it "Elegant" Night is purposely vaque because that's the way Carnival wants it.

Unforuntately some people either have no common sense, think the rules don't apply to them, or just don't care. Some people think vacation means no rules to follow, which isn't true.

For me, dressing up is enjoyable, so if you see me on a cruise, I'll be the one in a tux! I'd always rather be the best dressed person in the room than the worst!!!!!!!!!!:)

I have only been on Carnival 1 time. I am silver on NCL. From what I observed on my 1 Carnival cruise is they are pretty similar for what people may be wearing in the MDR. And what you are describing would have gotten your husband in on the dress up or not night on NCL without any problems, in fact he would have been one of the more dressed up people.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that they have sailed mostly on NCL. IMHO NCL is more relaxed than CCL. CCL has an "Elegant" night in which both MDR's have a stricter dress code. NCL has "Dress Up or Not" night but the dress code doesn't change....1 MDR and Le Bristro have a stricter dress code, the other MDR and the rest of the restaurants are casual...including shorts every night. OP should have been able to have lobster and steak without dressing up with no problem on NCL.