Reflections on Reflection

gisnered

First, I must confess I was booked on a 15 day Panama Canal transit on another line, leaving from the Left coast on the 15th of February. The Weather Gods decreed that I was not to make that sail away. Quickly I booked the 7 day "Eastern Caribbean Getaway" on Reflection leaving the southern Right Coast on the 22nd at a very advantageous price for a balcony guarantee.

I’ve not sailed an “S” class ship before, though I have elite status. In fact, if my calculations are correct, this seven day-er will put me close to (if not in) Elite Plus. So, I’m not just blowing smoke. This was my first (and probably last) cruise on an "S" class ship.

Overall, the ship is, for the most part, designed in a kind of an understated Las Vegas hospitality decor with a "Classy (?)" (Wynn?) edge. Not offensive, but vacuously intrusive. It is, to my mind, not as well conceived as the "M" class ships were before Solsticising. Can't comment on after “Solsticising” on “M" ships because I haven't sailed on an "M" ship since. My loyalties are divided; there are several other cruise lines vying for my heart.

Good stuff:

The bathrooms (in standard Veranda cabin) are, to my mind, the most thoughtfully designed bathrooms I've had on any ship (including my stateroom on the SS France with a six foot bathtub).

The cafeteria (well, that's what it is, no matter what you call it). Nicely designed, easily navigated and, if you can hold off till after the great rush, easy to find a table. Nice large deck, aft, with plenty of seating in the open air.

The MDR is pretty offensively glitsy, but we had some nice meals there. A spring roll, while not a classic spring roll, was yummy; prime rib was perfectly cooked; duck with an orange sauce was reasonably tasty – reasonable cruise food avoiding much of the nonsense that passes for “foodie” fare today.

Bistro on Five was nice - though not particularly swell. We got into conversation with the table next to us so the time passed easily. The crepe Grand Marnier had more the flavor of orange marmalade than Grand Marnier but was edible nonetheless.

Murano is nicely designed in an urban upscale vocabulary, much like one of the upper level chain steak houses that dot the larger cities. Service is pretty good. Food mentioned below.

Not so good stuff:

Noisy. The entire ship was noisy. Just about everywhere I went throughout the day music was played at a far too high a volume. It wasn't the choice of music, it was the volume. I know that there is a theory that loud music makes the patrons think there is more going on than there is and that they are part of it but, in the end, it's just noise. Jazz or rock or standards or country played at a deafening decibel level is still deafening no matter what genre - made me flee to my stateroom and balcony more than once. (I did manage to read quietly on the Promenade deck, smoking side, though I don't smoke. The smokers were basically quiet people - when they chatted they seem to use their "indoor" voices and the breeze blew the smoke -even cigar smoke- out to sea for the most part. Ambient music was not an issue.) I see that there are other threads that bring up the same problem. As far as I’ concerned, I have no intention to return to Celebrity if this becomes the modus operandi for all ships. Noise is not the reason I cruise.

The grass, and everything that goes with it. Sorry, I know some people think it’s great, but to me it's plain silly. Even if I could get over the weird disconnect in the concept, it is a colossal waste of space! People are packed like sardines elsewhere on deck and here is half the "lawn" having a "vacation", and the rest needing one. All of it was browned and tired looking - like your neighbor-who-just-doesn’t -care’s lawn. So you can play Bocce (sort of) - big whoop!

Solarium. Nice space. Ever so relaxing. So where is the Thalossotherapy pool? Dumb.

Storange in the cabin - just not acceptable. The overhead bins are fairly useless for shorter people, and awkward for a six footer like myself. There are exactly three drawers in the stateroom, plus one desk drawer (which was filled by the hair dryer). Are you kidding me? No, no, no.

Michael's club was nice looking, with a dark wood paneled envelope; totally lacking in service.

Murano: Food was OK - not the threat to some of the finer land venues that Olympic or Ocean Liners were a couple of years ago. Pork belly was inedible.

I didn't use the Martini or Molecular bars, Qisine, or Cafe Al Bacio, so I can't talk about them.

I couldn't get a reservation at Tuscan, so I can't comment here either, though I wanted very much to try it.

I accomplished my objective in that I got away from rain, sleet, ice, and snow. I will probably cruise Celebrity again, but definitely not on an "S" class ship. The itinerary would have to be totally outstanding, which is highly unlikely, or it would need to be too cheap to pass up - like this past cruise. For me the bad outweighed the good. It was barely OK.

First, I must confess I was booked on a 15 day Panama Canal transit on another line, leaving from the Left coast on the 15th of February. The Weather Gods decreed that I was not to make that sail away. Quickly I booked the 7 day "Eastern Caribbean Getaway" on Reflection leaving the southern Right Coast on the 22nd at a very advantageous price for a balcony guarantee.

I’ve not sailed an “S” class ship before, though I have elite status. In fact, if my calculations are correct, this seven day-er will put me close to (if not in) Elite Plus. So, I’m not just blowing smoke. This was my first (and probably last) cruise on an "S" class ship.

Overall, the ship is, for the most part, designed in a kind of an understated Las Vegas hospitality decor with a "Classy (?)" (Wynn?) edge. Not offensive, but vacuously intrusive. It is, to my mind, not as well conceived as the "M" class ships were before Solsticising. Can't comment on after “Solsticising” on “M" ships because I haven't sailed on an "M" ship since. My loyalties are divided; there are several other cruise lines vying for my heart.

Good stuff:

The bathrooms (in standard Veranda cabin) are, to my mind, the most thoughtfully designed bathrooms I've had on any ship (including my stateroom on the SS France with a six foot bathtub).

The cafeteria (well, that's what it is, no matter what you call it). Nicely designed, easily navigated and, if you can hold off till after the great rush, easy to find a table. Nice large deck, aft, with plenty of seating in the open air.

The MDR is pretty offensively glitsy, but we had some nice meals there. A spring roll, while not a classic spring roll, was yummy; prime rib was perfectly cooked; duck with an orange sauce was reasonably tasty – reasonable cruise food avoiding much of the nonsense that passes for “foodie” fare today.

Bistro on Five was nice - though not particularly swell. We got into conversation with the table next to us so the time passed easily. The crepe Grand Marnier had more the flavor of orange marmalade than Grand Marnier but was edible nonetheless.

Murano is nicely designed in an urban upscale vocabulary, much like one of the upper level chain steak houses that dot the larger cities. Service is pretty good. Food mentioned below.

Not so good stuff:

Noisy. The entire ship was noisy. Just about everywhere I went throughout the day music was played at a far too high a volume. It wasn't the choice of music, it was the volume. I know that there is a theory that loud music makes the patrons think there is more going on than there is and that they are part of it but, in the end, it's just noise. Jazz or rock or standards or country played at a deafening decibel level is still deafening no matter what genre - made me flee to my stateroom and balcony more than once. (I did manage to read quietly on the Promenade deck, smoking side, though I don't smoke. The smokers were basically quiet people - when they chatted they seem to use their "indoor" voices and the breeze blew the smoke -even cigar smoke- out to sea for the most part. Ambient music was not an issue.) I see that there are other threads that bring up the same problem. As far as I’ concerned, I have no intention to return to Celebrity if this becomes the modus operandi for all ships. Noise is not the reason I cruise.

The grass, and everything that goes with it. Sorry, I know some people think it’s great, but to me it's plain silly. Even if I could get over the weird disconnect in the concept, it is a colossal waste of space! People are packed like sardines elsewhere on deck and here is half the "lawn" having a "vacation", and the rest needing one. All of it was browned and tired looking - like your neighbor-who-just-doesn’t -care’s lawn. So you can play Bocce (sort of) - big whoop!

Solarium. Nice space. Ever so relaxing. So where is the Thalossotherapy pool? Dumb.

Storange in the cabin - just not acceptable. The overhead bins are fairly useless for shorter people, and awkward for a six footer like myself. There are exactly three drawers in the stateroom, plus one desk drawer (which was filled by the hair dryer). Are you kidding me? No, no, no.

Michael's club was nice looking, with a dark wood paneled envelope; totally lacking in service.

Murano: Food was OK - not the threat to some of the finer land venues that Olympic or Ocean Liners were a couple of years ago. Pork belly was inedible.

I didn't use the Martini or Molecular bars, Qisine, or Cafe Al Bacio, so I can't talk about them.

I couldn't get a reservation at Tuscan, so I can't comment here either, though I wanted very much to try it.

I accomplished my objective in that I got away from rain, sleet, ice, and snow. I will probably cruise Celebrity again, but definitely not on an "S" class ship. The itinerary would have to be totally outstanding, which is highly unlikely, or it would need to be too cheap to pass up - like this past cruise. For me the bad outweighed the good. It was barely OK.

We were on the same sailing as you and I have to say your comments are pretty well spot on. This was our third S class ship and the Reflection is definitely the noisiest of them all. Our benchmark is the lawn. My husband and I go up there to the grass (which we like, though I know others share your opinion of it) to escape. On other S class ships it's a nice, quiet place, blissfully free of any music, piped in or live. Not so on Reflection. No relaxing naps on the hammocks when the pool music wafts up loud and clear. It was annoying and intrusive. We didn't care for the new design of the buffet aft outdoor dining area. No comfy lounge chairs, just extra tables and chairs and the din at peak dining times was jarring. We did think the new design of the Sunset Bar was magnificent though. We spent a lot of time up there. That was a hit. Like you we enjoyed the cruise well enough but I think we will stick to the older S class ships which feel un-noisy and uncrowded compared to the Reflection.

Last year we did a B2B cruise in March. The first cruise was on the Constellation and when that was over we walked next to it to get on the Reflection.

The loud level of music is not unique to the S class. On the Constellation they elimated the house band and played taped music for the shows in the theater.

The rest of the bands were basically DJs stationed around the ship banging on the electronic drums at a dealing level so loud that you had to yell to place a cocktail order and it was impossible to carry on a conversation at many bars or lounges.

The Reflection wasn't any better. The did have a house band for the shows.

Was told on both ships that it was geared to the younger crowd that was sailing during the spring time. Problem was it seemed as of that group was not present on either cruise or that younger group was somewhere else to escape the distorted ear deafing racket.

Of all the Celebrity ships that we have been on the Reflection is our least favorite. It has some nice features but not enough to make up for the so called improvements that we didn't care for.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for your review. We sail Reflection in May, and I admit I am a little worried about the noise level. reports just don't sound relaxing or enjoyable. If I find it as annoying as many posters do, this also will be our last Celebrity cruise. It does sound like a deal breaker......

Wow, Reflection is really getting a black eye and not just from this poster. We will scratch it off our list. We are about to sail on our third S class ship and have found them great so far.

Thanks for your review. We sail Reflection in May, and I admit I am a little worried about the noise level. reports just don't sound relaxing or enjoyable. If I find it as annoying as many posters do, this also will be our last Celebrity cruise. It does sound like a deal breaker......

I would give it a try and not worry about others opinions. We were on Reflection over New Year and had a GREAT time. We did notice the music to be exceptionally loud or annoying. We are in our 50s and 60s and do not like loud obtrusive music either, but were never bothered during the cruise. Please keep an open mind

Many many many threads about noise right now. We are on reflection this Saturday and I am looking forward to experience the current state of it myself. I will report my two cents when I get back.

I like loud(ish) music. But it really depends on the venue. I would like to be able to have a conversation without tphaving to yell at top of lungs or use sign language.

Thanks for your review.

Did u attend the cc get together?

Do they still have the sea day brunch?

We were on last spring. We felt the ship was very happy. The music played by the

martini bar was great.

So many of you complained and yet we found it so good that we are going on Silhouette in 2 weeks and the looking to book a New Years cruise out of Miami Florida.

We took the Constellation to Norway last summer and loved the ship but thought it was too quiet- only music was a DJ.

The Coffee shop was superb (we visited 3x per day)

Sorry I'm a newbie and am leaving Saturday where is the luggage stored once you unpack and if under the bed is there a depth size . I have a plastic suitcase so I can't squish it. Or do they collect them and move them some where else. I got the three drawers. I bought foldable squares for the overhead bind , any ideas on height? Do the cupboards have hangers?

Sorry I'm a newbie and am leaving Saturday where is the luggage stored once you unpack and if under the bed is there a depth size . I have a plastic suitcase so I can't squish it. Or do they collect them and move them some where else. I got the three drawers. I bought foldable squares for the overhead bind , any ideas on height? Do the cupboards have hangers?

Good stuff:

Not so good stuff:

We just got off the Reflection in Feb (first time) and agree with many of your comments. However we did not find the ship 'loud' but lively (we are mid 50's couple). Can things get crowded? Yes of course but we have not been on a Carib cruise on any line where pool space was not at a premium.

In our mind the newness and beauty of the ship, excellent cabin (and bath- we had C2 balc.), and many dining drinking venues make this a desirable ship and I would not dissuade one from trying it. I would recommend it. It did win third place I believe in the CC large ship awards.

Have sailed on Eclispse and Century and Reflection would be my choice.JMHO

Wow, Reflection is really getting a black eye and not just from this poster. We will scratch it off our list. We are about to sail on our third S class ship and have found them great so far.

I would give it a try and not worry about others opinions. We were on Reflection over New Year and had a GREAT time. We did notice the music to be exceptionally loud or annoying. We are in our 50s and 60s and do not like loud obtrusive music either, but were never bothered during the cruise. Please keep an open mind

We were on Reflection last Nov, our 1st X sailing was in 1994, my wife said she is now her favorite ship out of the 7 cruise lines we have sailed.

Yes the storage design in the cabin was a challenge, ours stayed a tad messy, but we were not entertaining guest in our home for the week, who cares.

The Alcoves on the lawn were sold out every day, people we talked with loved them, and others like us, wished we could have gotten one. We liked that we could go thru the buffet, get some munchies, go up the aft stairs to Sunset and sit and watch the wake on a comfortable couch.

Almost any suitcase will fit under the bed. Even quite large hardsided suitcases will fit if you open them flat. If it can conceivably be carried it should fit, but if necessary your cabin steward can store it elsewhere. Many people use the underbed suitcase as their laundry basket as clothes get dirty. There are hangers in the rather small closet (a reasonable supply of hangers, and more from the steward if you want them). If your clothes are on the short side, there is a fold down bar halfway down the closet to double-stack shirts etc, with a small area still available for full length hanging. I'm 6'3" (195 cm) and can reach the overhead standing on the floor; my 5'3" GF definitely has to stand on the bed to use it - so she pretty much gets the drawers and I have most of the overhead.

Thom

15th of February..... Quickly I booked the 7 day "Eastern Caribbean Getaway" on Reflection...

here is half the "lawn" having a "vacation", and the rest needing one. All of it was browned and tired looking - like your neighbor-who-just-doesn’t -care’s lawn. So you can play Bocce (sort of) - big whoop!

Interesting. :confused: I was on Reflection exactly 1 week later and that was NOT at all what the lawn looked like on 2/22. The two smaller aft sections of lawn were completely green and lush and every inch was accessible. The main lawn had blocked access points at the corners where the lawn was resting from having been a little worn (those are the most common entry points when coming from the Sunset Bar or Porch), but the vast majority of it was open, accessible and green. Even the small resting parts weren't brown; they just had spots where you could tell they were starting to get worn so wanted to keep people off for a little while for the grass there to recover.

Our benchmark is the lawn. My husband and I go up there to the grass (which we like, though I know others share your opinion of it) to escape. On other S class ships it's a nice, quiet place, blissfully free of any music, piped in or live. Not so on Reflection. No relaxing naps on the hammocks when the pool music wafts up loud and clear. It was annoying and intrusive.

Also interesting. We spent 4 entire days in the alcoves and I was never aware of any music from the pool deck. In fact, I recall thinking at one point that I wished we COULD hear some of it. :confused:

Also interesting. We spent 4 entire days in the alcoves and I was never aware of any music from the pool deck. In fact, I recall thinking at one point that I wished we COULD hear some of it. :confused:

From the (I lost count how many!!) recent threads about loud music, be careful what you wish for!:eek::eek:

Shayna333

Luggage and space question

Sorry I'm a newbie and am leaving Saturday

We will see you Saturday!!

From the (I lost count how many!!) recent threads about loud music, be careful what you wish for!:eek::eek:

Most of the comments are from the same 20-30 members, a very small % of the 20,000+ that sail every week. So we will not fret about it.

Another long time member and Celebrity cruiser is just back from our next ship, the Equinox and has said there were no 'volume' problems on their 10 sailing. It is hit an miss.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2003172

Edited by wallie5446

We came off the ship two weeks ago. yes there was music by the pool, but we just found ourselves a nice space on the solstice deck. We had enough room to hang our clothes. I suppose it depends how much you think you need for a weeks cruise. We spent two days before in Miami and had plenty in fact too many clothes.

We would have no hesitation in booking again on the reflection. it's a beautiful ship.

Maybe because you were too busy talking with the other people in your alcove? They are glorified conversation pits after all. :D

Many many many threads about noise right now. We are on reflection this Saturday and I am looking forward to experience the current state of it myself. I will report my two cents when I get back.

I like loud(ish) music. But it really depends on the venue. I would like to be able to have a conversation without tphaving to yell at top of lungs or use sign language.

Thanks for your review.

Did u attend the cc get together?

Do they still have the sea day brunch?[/QUOTE]

Last month they had the brunch. It didn't seem as nice as the one on the Summit but there was plenty for all!!

Maybe because you were too busy talking with the other people in your alcove? They are glorified conversation pits after all. :D

Not really sure what you're getting at there. Sometimes we had others there with us and there was a lot of conversation, other times it was just the 2 of us, both reading quietly. Regardless, we were never aware of pool music. Perhaps if we'd really listened hard we might have heard it here and there, but if that's the case then I can hardly see how it could be considered so loud as to be intrusive, as the other poster stated.

Sorry...first of all I don't want to hear how elite somebody is. This is a cruise on a ship carrying 3k people. You are going to get noise. I am leaving in 2 weeks and don't want my bubble busted from someone that should be traveling on HA with more senior travelers. Not that there is anything wrong with seniors but that's the kind of cruise someone like this should be on. We are in our mid 50's and this is my 25th cruise. No I won't call myself elite!!! I can't wait to get on that ship and relax during the day and make some NOISE at night. Really what were you expecting on a ship this large??? Why did you not travel with regent? You can really say you are elite then!!!