Sea Conditions

Bornbeau

Wet. :-) Hard to say what they will be like on a specific cruise but if you look at the storm tracker website, you can see if there is anything around that may stir things up. Caribbean sea can get rough when winds are from the north as they have a bunch of open space to create waves.

It's impossible to predict. We've generally had calm seas on Caribbean cruises but encountered some rough seas on our New Years sailing on the same itinerary. Belize was cancelled because they could not tender. Cozumel was not much better and our excursion was cancelled. They blamed it on the Polar Vortex and it was unusual after 8 cruises to the Caribbean so I don't want to scare you. Generally it is pretty calm.

Mary Lou

Greetings

On the Equinox we had strong winds when leaving Panama and going to Columbia. We were getting quite a bit of spray on our deck 10 balcony. I thought it was great, other guests, not so much :). Like was stated earlier, depends on the winds. Sometimes they do blow.

Good Sailing

Tom

Edited by tunaman2011

The following website link will give you a fairly decent idea of what to expect.

It gives the projected heights. You must adjust the times on the map as they are based on GMT.

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/mmm.html?map=wave&animate=1

If the map comes on and is not animated, click on the animate button below the map.

No long term predictions, however it has always been pretty accurate for the time period it predicts.

bosco

Keep in mind that these are large ships with stabilizers. It really takes quite bad weather for you to have any sort of movement that would trigger sea sickness. My DW and I don't get seasick (at least we haven't yet), but we have travelled with and talked with folks who say they get seasick. Our last transatlantic hit 40' seas and 60 mph winds off the coast of spain...and our "i get seasick" friend skipped dinner, but actually never threw up...he just didn't feel great...took bonine.

You are not going to hit weather like that in the Caribbean....you may feel some motion but you actually will get used to it (trust me on this)....I think you'll actually find few on this board who have really been seasick on today's ships...unless they were in a very severe storm. I call 40' waves and 60 mph winds pretty severe....and with pills, patches few actually got sick.

My advice....take some bonine with you (or just ask at guest services on the ship and they will just give it to you free). If you start to think you'll feel seasick, take one....and you'll be fine. If you think the patch is a better solution...get a prescription and then try one a week before you leave on your cruise. Some folks have reactions to the drugs in the patch and you want to know before you leave....so just waste one and try it first.

Worst seas we encountered, in the Caribbean, were returning from Cozumel

passing through the Florida Straits.

We had 15-20 foot seas, we were sleeping and the sound of the water splashing on our balcony woke us up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Back in March (cruise left 3/20/2004) 2004, a freak hurricane hit Brazil. We had 35 ft seas.

I did extensive research prior to choosing this cruise, my husband's first, to be sure we were going at a good time.

Lesson learned? You never know what is going to happen with the weather.

Be prepared.;)

Am leaving on Macrch 24th out of ft Lauderdale on the Equinox going on an 11 nighter to Caymen, cartegena, Colon, Limon, Belize and Cozumel. In general what are the sea conditions like at this time.

There is no way to predict the seas