Help us choose - Royal Caribbean or NCL for Bahamas cruise?

js4rq

Hi!

We are considering doing a short Bahamas cruise from Miami with either Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, after our Panama canal cruise next year in February.

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the seas and Norwegian Sky both have 4 nights Bahamas itineraries:

Royal Caribbean - Nassau, Coco Cay and Key West

Norwegian - Grand Bahama Island, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay

Leaning towards Royal Caribbean as we have not cruised with them before.

What cruiseline and/or itinerary would you choose and why?

Impossible to offer unbiased advice based on how little you shared.

Of course you're going to hear RCL bias here, and NCL bias on their page. That should be expected.

If you offer a little bit about yourself (ages, interests, kids), you might get some more unbiased recommendations. Both lines have their strengths, and weaknesses. If you are a regular on a certain cruise line, ask the folks on that particular forum. They'd tell you the similarities and differences from your "usual".

Good luck...

We aren't regulars with any cruiseline hence having trouble deciding lol

We are a couple in our early 30's. We are mainly looking at the Bahamas itinerary because my partner is into snorkelling and swimming. And this is my compromise - another cruise! :cool:

If we are able not just to relax but do a tour at one of the ports, I'm happy. :)

Hope this helps!

As has already been said, the bias on this forum is obviously going to be in favor of Royal over NCL. But looking JUST at the itineraries you listed, I'd pick Royal. NCL is Bahamas-Bahamas-private island. Royal is Bahamas-Key West-private island. I'd pick Key West over a second night at a different Bahamas location.

I'm assuming you are referring to NCL Sky. I've been on that ship and the Majesty and I'd take Majesty every time. I felt that the ship was too old and run down. The cabin was very small as well. The one good thing about the Sky was the sports bar that allowed me to catch up on NBA playoff games in an energized environment.

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Call it biased if you want, but I've been on both more than once. Without hesitation, I recommend the Majesty. Both have their advantages, but Majesty is a much nicer ship, a much nicer cruise, and with a much nicer itinerary, in my opinion.

Hi!

We are considering doing a short Bahamas cruise from Miami with either Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, after our Panama canal cruise next year in February.

Royal Caribbean Majesty of the seas and Norwegian Sky both have 4 nights Bahamas itineraries:

Royal Caribbean - Nassau, Coco Cay and Key West

Norwegian - Grand Bahama Island, Nassau and Great Stirrup Cay

Leaning towards Royal Caribbean as we have not cruised with them before.

What cruiseline and/or itinerary would you choose and why?

I've never been on Majesty but we did cruise this past December on the NCL Sky ONLY because we did a group cruise with 20 friends and I thought that ship was very old and outdated and in much need to an update. That was my first cruise with NCL I won't cruise them again. I did think the food was fine, but no activities and the pool area was just ok. The itinery on RCCL going to Key West is so much better than the NCL stops!!. I vote for RCCL!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

We will do more research on both ships and ports & go from there.

Thanks! :D

We did Majesty for our honeymoon and really enjoyed going around Key West (not something that's usually an option on most cruises). Majesty is old, but we liked it for such a port intensive cruise (no real "sea days").

Thanks everyone! :D

Now we are deciding whether to do a Bahamas cruise or stay in Anaheim & go to Disneyland (we have been before but did not get to explore the park properly) ;) Oh it's a hard life lol

Go with an open mind if you ended up choosing Royal. You will be on the oldest and roughly the smallest ship in the fleet. Don't judge Royal Caribbean just based on this experience. I did really like my Monarch (Majesty sister ship) cruise.

I am not a Royal cheerleader (check my signature - I don't even have a Royal cruise scheduled right now).

Pick the Majesty!!!!!!

It is a great ship with a great crew. I have been on Majesty's short cruises twice now. I would be on her a third time in 3 weeks, except Carnival gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Majesty really knows how to do the short cruises well! If you want a party ship, Royal has a lot of fun parties going on. If you prefer quiet, it is easy to get away from the party crowd and find a quiet place to hang out on board.

The Majesty is a great ship. I can't say enough good things about her.