Help on group dining reservations

retdon

Hello Fellow Cruisers,

I need your help...... I am a part of a high school group going on the Z canal cruise in October. HAL is telling our TA that we can not make reservations for our group for the 2nd floor room (As You Wish) where we all can dine together. :eek: We do not want early or main seating but want to eat at 6:30pm.

I know this is open seating but have read here on these threads about cruisers who made reservations.

How do we do this and get Seattle out of the picture? Should I call Ship Services, Group Services, the President, the Captain of the ship.....who do I contact to get this accomplished. We have 28 in our group and will probably end up with more before we sail. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

I do know how "As you Wish" dining works so no need to explain it. Linda

Edited by retdon

The upper level of the MDR is for fixed Traditional Dining. You cannot plan to have 6:30 P.M. dining on the upper level. You either have to go for early Tradtional or Main Traditional Dining on upper level at 8:00.

For 6:30 seating, you go to lower level though on occassion if there are empty tables upstairs and they need the seating, they may seat you there.

Why is it so important to go to upper vs lower level for your group? A group that large has to all be arranged in advance in order to be seated together. You have to link all of your confirmation numbers to each other and make the request for everyone to be together. You will be able to do that on lower level at the non-Traditional dining time.

You certainly could contact Ship's Services at 800-541-1576 and seek their assistance and advice.

Edited by sail7seas

I just reread your question.....

You say 'second floor'......... Do you mean Lower Promenande, Deck Two or do you mean Second level of the Dining Room?

Also, there are two "Z" ships. Zaandam and Zuiderdam. I think you mean Zuiderdam.

The upper level of the MDR is for fixed Traditional Dining.
I think maybe by "2nd floor" she means deck 2, Lower/Open dining.

OP, if that's correct: we've only been able to make reservations for Open once we are on the ship, and then only three days at a time. I would take it up with the MDR manager once you are on board. The first night you may be scattered.

edit: typing while you were Sail ...

Edited by catl331

The problem with waiting until she is on the ship is the size of her group.

It's very different when you only need seating for two vs. 28 or more people.

The biggest table is 10 (I think) so they will need at least 3, maybe 4 tables. I would just walk-in in smaller groups the first night and ask the MDR manager to make arrangements from day 2 onward.

There might also be a problem with the 'time' that they would like to dine. In our experience, they only like to let you make reservations for earlier (before 6pm) or later (after 7:30).

It never hurts to ask once you are on the ship. The dining room manager might be able to set something up for you.

For a group this large, the dining room manager will be a lot happier if he has the opportunity to take care of this in advance.

Presumably, the group will want tables in close proximity to each other, which the DR manager can set up when the tables have no one sitting at them.

If HAL doesn't want to do this in advance, or if it needs tweaking, then working it out on the ship is appropriate.

A standing reservation for this size group is the best idea, though, and that should be set up as early as possible.

OP

"As You Wish Dining" refers to all the different dining venues on HAL ships.

Since you have indicated that you all want to eat at the same time but do not want fixed dining -- that means you want "Open Seating" which is on Deck 2 (Lower Promenade) -- lower level of the dining room on the Zuiderdam.

As Ruth said -- if HAL is not willing to arrange for you all to be seated in a certain area of the dining room at a certain time each evening, all you can do is wait until you are on the ship and talk to the dining room manager right away. The time and place for arranging tables will be listed in the daily "On Location" program.

Thanks for your ideas. We want to eat at 6:30pm, 7 would even be OK.

I said 2 floor, I mean the 2nd level of the dining room, I know 3 level is for Early and Main seating(fixed) and not open seating. We all want to sit together. This does not sound too difficult and I would think they certainly want to make these arrangements in advance.

OK 28+ folks show up at the door of "open" seating and we blow the dining manager's mind out the window. We did that once on a cruise and the staff got so flustered, but what bothered me were the other passengers waiting to be seated and a "herd" shows up.

I am going to try Ship Services again and see if I can get someone there to listen to reason. In our group we have thousands of cruising days and are not first time cruisers. RCL was happy to have our group not once but twice and made our dining reservations as requested, they even put our table decorations out each night. We had the same servers, same location, etc. , it was fantastic, only hope I can get HAL to do this or the Zuiderdam Captain, LOL..... Linda

I am traveling with a group of 28+ seniors and we have asked for reservations in "open Seating" at 6:30 or 7PM. Guess what HAL says, NO......

We want to be seated together at the same time and not at 5:45 or 8PM fixed seating. Seattle said we have to individually call each day for reservations that night. WHAT! :eek: We are self contained on a ship for 10 days and have to call each day for a reservation? Wonder how the staff feels about doing all that paper work, etc. It is like they are a separate part of the ship and not even attached.

They will not make fixed reservations for a group like RCL or other cruise lines do. This is the first time I am not happy with HAL. Worst part I recommended HAL to this group because of how pleased I am with everything they do.

Guess what Mr. Head Dining Room Manager, you will have 28+ passengers show up each night at the same time and ask to be seated together, how about them apples?????? Am I mad, you bet I am mad and very unhappy with HAL and their lack of consideration for a group of high school friends/family. We are experienced cruisers and have thousands of days at sea among us, we are not first time cruisers. Hope someone from Seattle reads this.

Don't start flaming me, I read all the post and know this has been done before. Our dinners together are special for our group and I never thought this would happen, should have checked before they all booked..............

SEATTLE, you need to change your procedures from "daily reservations for open seating" to be able to make them for the entire cruise. You also need to give groups a consideration in making them time wise and seating together. :(

Edited by retdon

Just wondering if your TA book this as a group? There would have been considerable benefits to the group in the way of savings (OBC, group discounts, etc). A knowledgable TA should have been able to make all these arrangements easily thru the group bookings department.

If each of you booked separately then That would be part of the real issue.

And no common sense does not enter into this :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The only time I've ever been successful with getting reservations at a decent time on HAL is when I was in the PH. On Princess, it was no problem. If HAL was smart, they would make reservation for such a large party. It's going to be a PITA for them otherwise. I do hope you will have better luck once on board. They are usually more flexible on board.

Just wondering if your TA book this as a group? There would have been considerable benefits to the group in the way of savings (OBC, group discounts, etc). A knowledgable TA should have been able to make all these arrangements easily thru the group bookings department.

If each of you booked separately then That would be part of the real issue.

And no common sense does not enter into this :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Our TA was the first to be told "NO" by HAL. I am hoping pressure from Cruise Critic, etc. will get HAL to rethink their policy. The group Dept. said they could not do anything.. We are all booked through our TA and she is doing everything possible.

You asked to break the rules. HAL said no.

Out of curiosity, why didn't your group ask for conventional dining as a group?

Because 5:45 is too early and 8pm is too late for the group. As for me my DH and I do dine at 8 but for the group it is too late. I thought, dangerous to do with HAL, that HAL like RCL and other lines would do this. Our group has been on RCL twice and they were very happy to do it, it saved the dining room staff a lot of work.

Our TA was the first to be told "NO" by HAL. I am hoping pressure from Cruise Critic, etc. will get HAL to rethink their policy. <snip>.

I wouldn't hold out much hope on that. I find HAL to be pretty rigid. I don't want to discourage you but I think your best hope of resolution is going to be on board. That said, I'm prepared to be wrong. Good luck!

You already have another thread started on this topic.

And several of us gave you information about seeing the Dining Room Manager once you get on the ship.

HAL is not going to change the way they operate out of Seattle -- but a nice little talk with the Dining Room Manager should help.

Your other thread is here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2008101

Why does the whole group have to eat together at the same time each night?

Open seating is intended to be flexible, and I was surprised the first time I heard that reservations were even possible.

If I was standing outside the MDR waiting for a table at 6:30 or so and a troop of 30 went walking in past me I'd be pretty mad about it!!

Edited by jtl513

I don't understand why a group should get fixed dining at their own time. I wasn't crazy about 8 but I wanted a fixed time so I did it. Can't imagine demanding a fixed table at a peak time during open seating.

That is why HAL is saying "No".

:D I think it's a 'reunion' sort of group. Elder seniors now but from the same high school...... then.

Thanks for that explanation. Having a high school senior grandson, I would not want to be seated anywhere near a group of 28 of them, but then I'm not going on that cruise .