Help on group dining reservations

retdon

Because 5:45 is too early and 8pm is too late for the group. As for me my DH and I do dine at 8 but for the group it is too late. I thought, dangerous to do with HAL, that HAL like RCL and other lines would do this. Our group has been on RCL twice and they were very happy to do it, it saved the dining room staff a lot of work.

It's not like all 28 will be seated at the same table anyways. You will be spread out in the dining room.

Maybe this could be a work around for you.

On my second cruise I was part of a group having seminars on the ship. One of the seminars was a meal (I believe dinner) with some of the speakers. It was set up in one of the meeting rooms.

So why not fill out a form for ships services for a "meeting" each evening at 8pm having dinner in one of the conference rooms. Not only would you all be able to eat together, but it would be private and you might have some input into the menu.

It's not like all 28 will be seated at the same table anyways. You will be spread out in the dining room.

How correct! At the least you will have 3 tables. If they are round, you will be spread out and may not even be close to each other.

A few years back on a HAL cruise to Alaska, traveling with a group of friends and family ...only 10 but we had open dining. Upon boarding, a chosen spokesperson for us called for reservations. We asked for 2 tables close together. We were put at 2 wonderful ocean view tables. Every morning, she called and asked for those same tables. No problem getting them for the entire cruise. We did not ask for the same time each night...depended upon what we were all doing at each port. We even had the same bar staff service each night and wait staff. It was so much fun. With 2 tables, we mixed up who we sat with...sometime all the gals and guys at separate tables..sometimes the older and youngers. Whatever we wanted.

So it is doable to have you all close but someone needs to take the initiative to be the person to call each morning.

I would have no problem with a large group coming to the reservation side of the dining room check in to get their tables. I would have a problem with a large group coming to the other side asking to sit together. Also, you may have a rather long wait to get to a table if you don't make a daily reservation and expect to be seated together.

We really enjoy the open sitting process. Has worked well for us in all kinds of situations.

Good luck. You can make it work.

Why does the whole group have to eat together at the same time each night?

Open seating is intended to be flexible, and I was surprised the first time I heard that reservations were even possible.

If I was standing outside the MDR waiting for a table at 6:30 or so and a troop of 30 went walking in past me I'd be pretty mad about it!!

This is the point of the matter. Good post!

I think most agree that while this situation is too bad, it is the way things go with HAL. This group should change to fixed seating, or do what Highland Cruiser relates. Simple!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Open seating is intended to be flexible, and I was surprised the first time I heard that reservations were even possible.

If I was standing outside the MDR waiting for a table at 6:30 or so and a troop of 30 went walking in past me I'd be pretty mad about it!!

I too would be very upset!

I don't understand why a group should get fixed dining at their own time. I wasn't crazy about 8 but I wanted a fixed time so I did it. Can't imagine demanding a fixed table at a peak time during open seating.

OP suggest you follow what the other posters have suggested you do on your other thread, which BTW should be combined with this one..Don't understand the reason you started two threads on the same subject..

I can't either always frantic (BTW I bolded your last line) ..If a group wants fixed dining they should be willing to take the fixed dining at the fixed dining hours! HAL has to think about all Psgrs, not just one group.. BTW 5:30 is also too early for us & 8 is a bit late, we would prefer 7 p.m., so we either take open seating & wait our turn or book one of the times in fixed dining..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

Also you don't have to call everyday if you want to make a reservation. They can take them up to 2-3 days in advance. However, I think you can only make reservations from 5-530, or after 730. On our last cruise, we ended up always eating at 745, 800 that we decided our next cruise we're going to do fixed late dining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even though anytime dining, there is really two sittings. The people that want to eat when dining room opens book or arrive for 5:30. Then if the dining room is full and they allow 1 1/2 -2 hours for these people to finish their meal and clean their tables, realistically, may not be able to dine until 7:30 for those that want anytime later. If you are lucky, and want a table for two, the people before you will probably finish early, and your chances to get seated easier.

With 28 people, don't see it happening. The dining room staff aren't going to keep several tables empty (while others come early and want to be seated) for this large group to want to eat in the middle of between early and late.

I have to agree with the folks who say if you wanted a fixed time everyday you should go with the fixed time seating. You don't eat the minute you sit down, they will be fine. I too would be upset if I saw a huge group marching past me.

Part of the fun of traveling with a group is sharing your experience of the day over dinner.

I totally agree with you about a "herd" arriving at the door, I would be mad also but when the cruise line says that is what you have to do, we will do it. I think it is awful. This is the 3rd cruise together and the past cruises we had no problems with RCL.

Oh I thought they had a table for all 28, come on, of course not. We did this on past cruises and ended up with a lot of tables (had 52 cruisers) but all in the same area. We switched tables each night so we could dine with everyone by the end of the cruise. We always had the same area and the same servers, I don't wonder why I am explaining this to you, only hope HAL will review their policies and follow a lot of other cruise lines in allowing reservations to be made for the entire length of the cruise not on a day by day basis.

I posted this on your other thread, but since this one seems to be the active one right now, I will put it here as well

Maybe this could be a work around for you.

On my second cruise I was part of a group having seminars on the ship. One of the seminars was a meal (I believe dinner) with some of the speakers. It was set up in one of the meeting rooms.

So why not fill out a form for ships services for a "meeting" each evening at 8pm having dinner in one of the conference rooms. Not only would you all be able to eat together, but it would be private and you might have some input into the menu.

The dining room staff aren't going to keep several tables empty (while others come early and want to be seated) for this large group to want to eat in the middle of between early and late.
They would like to turn around each table twice each night. Taking 6:30 to 8:30 out of the middle for four large tables would mean the group could be inconveniencing 30 to 60 other passengers who also would prefer at least some part of the prime time.

Part of the fun of traveling with a group is sharing your experience of the day over dinner.
On the Zuiderdam I'm pretty sure there are no tables larger than 10 (and they're not movable) so you're going to be in 3 to 4 groups no matter what.

... and follow a lot of other cruise lines in allowing reservations to be made for the entire length of the cruise not on a day by day basis.
Does none of your group ever eat at specialty restaurants or the Lido leaving seats that the restaurant can't use?

As others have said, if you wanted fixed seating you should have booked early or late fixed.

Edited by catl331

I, for one appreciate their "rule". I agree with other posters, I would be upset if 28 people came through every night at a time other diners are trying to get seated in anytime dining. I also agree with the other posters that the fixed time dining is the best place for your group. Grow up and quit being so...well I guess I had better not say. Dining is for everyone to enjoy not just your special group. Others wish to dine at that hour as well and marking tables off just for you all would be unfair for the rest of the passengers. Only so many can be seated in the open times, your group does not deserve to take up most of the open time spots for that particular time. I will get off my soap box for now and wish you a pleasant journey on HAL. Hope your mood lightens.

My DH had a great idea for you...charter your own ship then you can crash the dining room whenever you want

Edited by hotzej
add to post

I debated about posting this thread (not once but twice, a mistake) thinking it would start a fire storm and I was correct. You know the old saying you never know a persons feelings until you walk in their shoes or how ever it goes.

We graduated from Hialeah High School in 1958 (does that sound like a bunch of high school seniors, thanks for the compliment), many of us went to Elementary School together and we were in Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts together, you know what I mean, friendships for a lifetime. We have been very close over the years and since our 50th reunion have had a class event every year since.

This cruise is called "HHS Bucket List Cruise", why, we are all over 73 and as a final event want to see one of the wonders of world. My DH and I booked this cruise while on the Noordam last Nov. I suggest this to the gal who agreed to be the coordinator for the cruise. How did I get in the middle, you guessed it, our TA got a NO from Hal and I thought maybe I could help and maybe you folks on CC could help me and the group.

My DH and I love HAL and usually take 8pm dining but this group likes to eat earlier, not at 5:45 or 8PM. I was looking for anyone who has contacts with the "Ivory Tower" in Seattle to help me settle this problem.

Love all your posts, I am a part of CC and read it everyday, help me solve this and get out of middle. Thanks, Linda

I debated about posting this thread (not once but twice, a mistake) thinking it would start a fire storm and I was correct. You know the old saying you never know a persons feelings until you walk in their shoes or how ever it goes.

We graduated from Hialeah High School in 1958 (does that sound like a bunch of high school seniors, thanks for the compliment), many of us went to Elementary School together and we were in Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts together, you know what I mean, friendships for a lifetime. We have been very close over the years and since our 50th reunion have had a class event every year since.

This cruise is called "HHS Bucket List Cruise", why, we are all over 73 and as a final event want to see one of the wonders of world. My DH and I booked this cruise while on the Noordam last Nov. I suggest this to the gal who agreed to be the coordinator for the cruise. How did I get in the middle, you guessed it, our TA got a NO from Hal and I thought maybe I could help and maybe you folks on CC could help me and the group.

My DH and I love HAL and usually take 8pm dining but this group likes to eat earlier, not at 5:45 or 8PM. I was looking for anyone who has contacts with the "Ivory Tower" in Seattle to help me settle this problem.

Love all your posts, I am a part of CC and read it everyday, help me solve this and get out of middle. Thanks, Linda

I think some people talk like they have contacts in the ivory tower but I bet most don't:D.

Even if HAL gives you a fixed dining location in the anytime dining room

at the time you want. Not fair to all of us that select anytime dining so we can call and decide if we want to eat early or late that day.

I hate when people get their way in anytime dining and have the same table every night. It cuts down on availability for us.

Not fair. For those people wanting to eat at a certain time all together

you need to select fixed dining. Fair to everyone(although you may think it isn't).

When we travel with friends, we ask for fixed dining.On our own, anytime dining and we meet new people nightly.

Even if HAL gives you a fixed dining location in the anytime dining room

at the time you want. Not fair to all of us that select anytime dining so we can call and decide if we want to eat early or late that day.

I hate when people get their way in anytime dining and have the same table every night. It cuts down on availability for us.

Not fair. For those people wanting to eat at a certain time all together

you need to select fixed dining. Fair to everyone(although you may think it isn't).

When we travel with friends, we ask for fixed dining.On our own, anytime dining and we meet new people nightly.

YOU PEOPLE ARE OUT OF SIGHT..... I wished you could help me in this problem and instead just flame me, I should have known. Where is AliasChef and Candy, Help me.

I AM THROUGHT WITH THIS TREAD AND KNOW THAT CC POSTERS ARE JUST IN IT FOR THE THRILL OF FLAMING SOMEONE. THANKS FOR THE HELP, I'LL BE A LURKER FROM NOW OWN. SOMEONE STEP UP TO THE PLATE.

No one is flaming you at all. You just don't like hearing the reality of how people actually feel about your request. No one likes to hear that others disapprove of their ideas. But the reality is that is what is happening here, no one has insulted you or been demeaning in the process. They've simply stated that they didn't like this idea and that it doesn't seem fair to other passengers on the same cruise (which I happen to agree with).

You have brought up several times that RCI let you do this, but ask yourself... how much larger was that ship? They have more tables that they can accommodate you with than most HAL ships do from my understanding.

Zuiderdam Capacity: 1,916

Freedom of the Seas Capacity: 5,400

Edited by sherilyn70

I suggest you try to contact the Ships Coordinator for your ship. They may be able to help. Not sure how you would get the name of that person, but worth trying.

I think HAL would be doing everyone else a favor by getting you sorted out so you don't become a big ol' impediment in the Anytime Dining line-up -- if they had tables set aside for you, they could deal with all 28 in the line quickly. IMHO knowing that you are coming every night at a specific time and you need "X" number of tables will be doing all the other pax a favor -- as opposed to trying to deal with the tidal wave of your group "on the fly" every evening.

As for everyone who is concerned that they won't get a table the moment they get to the MDR, that is actually a chance they take every night. I guess I too need my flameproof suit ;)

We were on a Alaska cruise a few years ago and there was a group of about 16, all adults and fussy as h---. We know because we heard them complaining non-stop at breakfast every morning in the DR.

An Assistant DRM whom we have known for years had the pleasure of dealing with them because the waiters had a really hard time. He was superb and had the attitude "anything they want, they get". It seems to have worked very well and we were impressed about the way he handled the group.

Maybe the group on this thread will meet up with such an Assistant DRM and all will be well. HAL is usually very good this way. Although I do not agree with the OP's attitude at all, I do think this could work out and likely will. It will depend on who is running the show on this ship. Personally I would set up this group in the King's Room and be done with the hassle.

See the lead DRM once you are onboard. Depending on who he is, he may be able to help you with this problem.

Some of the DRMs are willing to go the extra mile, others just go by the book.

I really think that the DRM would like to know about this in advance. Embarkation day is way too late to deal with a situation of this size even if it is for Open Seating. He's got enough problems without someone springing this on him with a few hours until dinner time!