Better benefits with different TA?

bigsky

I'm reading about the good prices and perks of different ones ta's. My said he could not do anything about the price as Royal doesn't budge. I get obc or free insurance.

How are many getting good prices and so many more perks than me? One mentioned her ta books a lot of rooms and gets a better rate?

I've used my ta for many years. I just found out by putting in where I was from I got a discount!! Then I had to tell my ta to adjust the price. I'm starting to think that maybe I should change? I really like him, but questioning if I could have gotten a better price for my past cruises.

Why should I have to tell him to adjust the price because I get a better deal because I'm from my state??

I'm pretty loyal to people I use, but just not sure about this :confused:

I'm reading about the good prices and perks of different ones ta's. My said he could not do anything about the price as Royal doesn't budge. I get obc or free insurance.

How are many getting good prices and so many more perks than me? One mentioned her ta books a lot of rooms and gets a better rate?

I've used my ta for many years. I just found out by putting in where I was from I got a discount!! Then I had to tell my ta to adjust the price. I'm starting to think that maybe I should change? I really like him, but questioning if I could have gotten a better price for my past cruises.

Why should I have to tell him to adjust the price because I get a better deal because I'm from my state??

Montana gets you a discount? Wow, that's interesting, I guess I just figured that the "resident discounts" were for residents of the state where the ship departed from - or maybe where any ship from the company departs from. Obviously, Montana doesn't fit that criteria! :D Glad you got a discount though! :)

Although I'm sure he's a very nice guy, you don't seem to be getting the best of service. He should be catching those discounts and price drops and letting you know about them, not the other way around. There's nothing at all wrong with switching to another TA for better service. That's the nature of business, give your hard earned money to the person that best earns it from you.

I don't think it's the TA's job to check everyday for discounted rates on your cruise after you have booked. I try to check my own reservations often and when I see a discount or possible upgrade I call my TA and they work it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree, it's not up to the agent to check for price reductions or other deals. I can't imagine how many quotes, and cruise bookings at agent at one of the big agencys do a day. And then go back every so often and check pricing? Not going to happen.

As far as cancellation fees, put yourself in their place. I'm sure it takes time, and effort to do this, and then not get paid? When I have a repairman comes to my house, he charges a trip fee just for coming out. If I hire him to do the job, the fee is waved. If you think the fee is high, just look at what the cruise line charges you when you get within final payment, that's big bucks. Maybe they should do that for free?

I got my flame retardant suit on so here goes: I think the cruise line should only guarantee the price once it is paid in full. If the price goes up, you pay. You already get the lower price when it goes down. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.....

Montana gets you a discount? Wow, that's interesting, I guess I just figured that the "resident discounts" were for residents of the state where the ship departed from - or maybe where any ship from the company departs from. Obviously, Montana doesn't fit that criteria! :D Glad you got a discount though! :)

Never been the case. All states get included at times

My TA DOES check for price changes/deals/special discounts every day or so. She has saved me an amazing amount of $$ over the years and gotten me some pretty decent upgrades. I don't know what I'd do without her!

My TA gives me a heads up about sales, but tracking all prices can get nuts.

On an upcoming cruise there have been 10 different price changes for a single cabin category since December (multiple ones up and down). And that is just 1 cruise, 1 cabin category.

I usually have 3 cruises booked at a time and even I use a website which tracks prices for me automatically and e-mails when me drops occur. It would take me too long to price out all my cruises/cabin options every day (15 minutes better spent doing something else), and this is just for me. Well worth the pittance that I pay for the service.

I don't think it's the TA's job to check everyday for discounted rates on your cruise after you have booked. I try to check my own reservations often and when I see a discount or possible upgrade I call my TA and they work it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I do expect him to get the original reservation right though at the lowest possible price for me. He didn't even give me the discount for the state I'm from. Once I caught it, he had to even tell Royal to adjust the price.

I called him to change an old reservation from Mediterranean to Caribbean and date. Then a week later, I called to add another cruise and looked up the price myself before calling him to book it. I was playing with it and decided to add where I'm from. Never did this in the past. I did it both ways and found there was a 256.00 dollar change! Then I went back and looked at the other one he changed and that was less as well.

So I called him and told him the price he gave me for the cruises were wrong and I should have had a discount from being a MT resident. He called them and had it adjusted.

Just thinking maybe he should have known to at least TRY and put in MT to see if there were any discounts to be given on these sailings....which there was.

My TA gives me a heads up about sales, but tracking all prices can get nuts.

On an upcoming cruise there have been 10 different price changes for a single cabin category since December (multiple ones up and down). And that is just 1 cruise, 1 cabin category.

I usually have 3 cruises booked at a time and even I use a website which tracks prices for me automatically and e-mails when me drops occur. It would take me too long to price out all my cruises/cabin options every day (15 minutes better spent doing something else), and this is just for me. Well worth the pittance that I pay for the service.

A website that keeps track of price drops?

I do expect him to get the original reservation right though at the lowest possible price for me. He didn't even give me the discount for the state I'm from. Once I caught it, he had to even tell Royal to adjust the price.

I called him to change an old reservation from Mediterranean to Caribbean and date. Then a week later, I called to add another cruise and looked up the price myself before calling him to book it. I was playing with it and decided to add where I'm from. Never did this in the past. I did it both ways and found there was a 256.00 dollar change! Then I went back and looked at the other one he changed and that was less as well.

So I called him and told him the price he gave me for the cruises were wrong and I should have had a discount from being a MT resident. He called them and had it adjusted.

Just thinking maybe he should have known to at least TRY and put in MT to see if there were any discounts to be given on these sailings....which there was.

In defense of your TA Resident rates can come & go in a minute...so there very well may NOT have been a discount at the time of booking...

Also if anyone in your cabin is 55 or over be sure to check the Senior discount box as well...again...discounts in that category can come & go...

In defense of your TA Resident rates can come & go in a minute...so there very well may NOT have been a discount at the time of booking...

Also if anyone in your cabin is 55 or over be sure to check the Senior discount box as well...again...discounts in that category can come & go...

I do know what you're saying.....but this has been going on for the past 3 weeks. Who knows how long before and how much longer. I just think he didn't check it. I don't know if I missed out on past discounts that he didn't check. I just need to decide if I'm getting the best service possible. I don't shop around for ta's, but I do want to know who I stick with is giving me good service to start with.

If there is a price drop, I'm always the one that has to bring it to his attention. I do know he doesn't like it being changed after EACH drop.

I guess if I stick with him, I'm the one that has to stay on top of my bookings and continue to see if there's any way I can save.

Thanks all for your 2 cents :D

The next cruise you are on, talk to the CC members that you meet in the M&M and i am sure they will be glad to share TA recommendations with you. There is one site that you can post your cruise on and you will get bids on the prices and perks. I always get a starting price from the cruise line then post it on that web site before I book anywhere. This lets me know whats out there. I used to use a local TA but now I use internet TAs.

The next cruise you are on, talk to the CC members that you meet in the M&M and i am sure they will be glad to share TA recommendations with you. There is one site that you can post your cruise on and you will get bids on the prices and perks. I always get a starting price from the cruise line then post it on that web site before I book anywhere. This lets me know whats out there. I used to use a local TA but now I use internet TAs.

Good idea to discuss it with them...

I don't use a local ta either. Mine is on the net that many probably have heard of.

Also, many cruise lines give discounts for being military, paramedics, fire or police, belonging to a union.....ALWAYS check off all boxes that you are eligible for, you never know what they are offering that day.

Saw those and unfortunately don't qualify for any of them. I was shocked to see I got a discount from my state. I only learned that from someone that has got a discount from their state. Never understood why they asked that question! I knew of FL discounts at times.

I will take the $256.00 discount! :)

I've booked all ways: through RCI myself, through brick and mortar TAs, and online TAs. There are pros and cons with each, but I have found that the choice that makes my frugal heart the happiest, for now, is the online TA. Thank God for google and thank God for cruise cruitic!:cool:

I've booked all ways: through RCI myself, through brick and mortar TAs, and online TAs. There are pros and cons with each, but I have found that the choice that makes my frugal heart the happiest, for now, is the online TA. Thank God for google and thank God for cruise cruitic!:cool:

Cruise Critic is a life saver! So much info...and can save you money! :D

I have booked through the big well known Internet TA several times. I get the same price quoted by RCI plus 1/2 off travel insurance, pre-paid gratuities, dinner at a specialty restaurant, and $150 OBC. The downside is they do not honor price drops so I weigh the pros and cons. If I think I got a great price right off I'll book with the TA, If I think the price may take a dive I'll book with RC directly. With my October cruise I booked through RCI more than a year ago. This month my son decided they could come with me this year and I got a better deal for them through the TA. That was fun trying to link the reservations though, but it worked out.

I have booked through the big well known Internet TA several times. I get the same price quoted by RCI plus 1/2 off travel insurance, pre-paid gratuities, dinner at a specialty restaurant, and $150 OBC. The downside is they do not honor price drops so I weigh the pros and cons. If I think I got a great price right off I'll book with the TA, If I think the price may take a dive I'll book with RC directly. With my October cruise I booked through RCI more than a year ago. This month my son decided they could come with me this year and I got a better deal for them through the TA. That was fun trying to link the reservations though, but it worked out.

Anyway, to give a hint or clue as to the name of the big well-known internet TA since I don't know it?

no...that is in direct violation of the community guidelines...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

Megr1125 is correct.

To remind you of the Guideline:

There shall be no third-party recommendation (whether positive or negative in tone) of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

It also means you cannot post links to travel agencies, no matter what the specific reason.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

I was just on the RCI website today and saw that my cruise, which I booked a month ago, just dropped by half! Ouch. I wasn't going looking for price drops, but a friend wanted to see what prices would be to join us. Great, for them!

We upgraded to the highest level at the price we paid and got a nice balcony cabin, but it is so hard to see that people booking a few weeks after us are getting such a great deal. I decided to call to see if there was anything RCI would do for us, and they said no but the agent said something about having checked to see if we had booked with a travel agent. I wonder if a travel agent could have helped us in this situation?

Still really looking forward to our vacation! Just wishing we got the great deal.