Not beach maybe some history suggestions?

hbooden

Has anyone done any of the more historic things? Like isn't there a George Washington house? Worth a visit?

And I saw someone mention a chocolate tour...really? :)

It's just my husband and I and looking for something to do while on a cruise in December;) not huge beach people and we are going to do a beach while in st Martin any ideas or suggestions would be awesome (we are in port all day I think)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The Barbados Museum will take you about an hour to do the whole thing

http://www.barbmuse.org.bb/

It's across town from where the ship is docked

and is part of an old British Army Garrison and barracks bldgs

incl. the military prison -which now houses the Museum

-the entire area recently declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1376/

Edited by Aplmac

• 2 weeks later...

We did a ship sponsored tour (but I'm sure you can do it privately) and went to the wild animal sanctuary. It is sometimes called the green monkey sanctuary. The monkeys are totally wild and come there for feeding time about 4pm. We saw many monkeys and it was great to see them in the wild. This is apparently an old zoo so there are also many sea tortoises, a few deer, iguanas, snakes, and birds. Our tour guide also took us to see many notable vistas on the island, including Bathsheba which is fabulous. Whatever you choose, enjoy your day in Barbados!

You might also want to consider Harrison's Cave where you are taken by an tram to see totally natural things like stalagmites and underground waterfalls, etc. This tour does not disappoint. Hard not to be impressed. :)

LuLu

~~~

There is also an old style sugarcane processing plant museum - if you are there after the harvest you can see it actually working.

There is the Concorde Experience at the airport that houses the British Airways Concorde used in regular service from the UK to Barbados; it's a cool tour including a walk through the cabin.

If you are into cricket, they offer tours of Kensington Oval during the week.

Aloha,

John

• 4 weeks later...
Is the chocolate factory near the cruise terminal? How long were you there? Looking for something different to do in Barbados as well. We'll have plenty of other beach stops, and this will be our 3rd visit to the island.

Within walking distance of the terminal. The tour was about 2 hours, time to do it and some other things, we did a tour of Mt. Gay Rum after the chocolate factory. Make sure you reserve a place in advance they only take a limited number for each tour and only do one a day.

Edited by erniesband

Within walking distance of the terminal. The tour was about 2 hours, time to do it and some other things, we did a tour of Mt. Gay Rum after the chocolate factory. Make sure you reserve a place in advance they only take a limited number for each tour and only do one a day.

Thanks for the info, and your great review here on CC. :cool:

Well, my excitement was quickly terminated. I looked at the calendar for the chocolate factory, and there are no tours offered on the date we will be visiting. :(

Doesn't it say on the website that private tours can be arranged? Maybe you could get people on your Roll Call together to form a group? Just a thought. :)

Well, my excitement was quickly terminated. I looked at the calendar for the chocolate factory, and there are no tours offered on the date we will be visiting. :(

Doesn't it say on the website that private tours can be arranged? Maybe you could get people on your Roll Call together to form a group? Just a thought. :)

We were there on a non-tour scheduled day. We had 5 in our group and they gave us private tour. Things may have changed since then.

Here's a link to a thread here on the Barbados board that has my review of the factory tour and more - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1442714&highlight=chocolate+factory&page=2

Edited by erniesband

Has anyone done any of the more historic things? Like isn't there a George Washington house? Worth a visit?

And I saw someone mention a chocolate tour...really? :)

It's just my husband and I and looking for something to do while on a cruise in December;) not huge beach people and we are going to do a beach while in st Martin any ideas or suggestions would be awesome (we are in port all day I think)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

What ship will you be on? We are on the Equinox in December 12 sailing.

Gail

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

We have been to Folkestone Park a few times, the adventure part is the bus ride there. Really fun and an economical way to get around the island. At Folkestone there is of course a beach, not the best beach, but good snorkeling. There is also an old church. I believe it is St James Parish. Very old church and you can walk thru it, there have been people there to tell you about it etc. There is also a graveyard that is very old and really nice to walk thru. One time we didn't feel like swimming so we got back on the bus and took it all the way up the coast and into some farm land. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back. Really fun island.