Any Hurricane Season cruisers out there?

My husband and I sailed on Carnival Dream during hurricane Sandy. Our 7-day turned into an 8-day; the last day sailing in a big circle off the coast of Miami in rough seas because PC had been closed. Our days in port though (eastern Caribbean) were absolutely beautiful. It was a bit of a hassle changing our return flight from sea, but I do give credit to Carnival for doing their best to accommodate everyone. Even though we were rocking and rolling, and blocked from going out onto our balcony, we never got sea sick, and I never felt like we were in danger.

Now we're planning our first back-to-back on FOS for September. Our friends who sailed with us think we're nuts.

Anyone else out there who enjoys the adventure (and low fares) of cruising during hurricane season?

We don't take too many chances, but we have only been impacted by rougher than normal seas. Often we will wait until late October theoretically when the number of hurricanes is reduced.

I agree, the low fares are worth the risk.

We are sailing on Allure 8/31/14-9/7/14...I am hoping for decent weather but we purchased trip insurance just in case. We've never cruised/beach vacationed this late in the season really so a little nervous.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by MandyMooToo

We are sailing on Allure 8/31/14-9/7/14...I am hoping for decent weather but we purchased trip insurance just in case. We've never cruised/beach vacationed this late in the season really so a little nervous.

Definitely. I don't think we've ever not taken out insurance when we've sailed.

Anyone that has cruised the Caribbean during the period of June to November has cruised during hurricane season.

True! I guess I meant the season after kids are back in school; late August through October, when fares are low.

Our Hurricane Sandy cruise was during mid-October.

I typically do every year due to lower prices the first 2 weeks of August + school schedules.

Haven't had any problems yet, although 2 years ago a smaller storm passed over some islands the week before our cruise. Had we been cruising, our route may have been impacted (to avoid the fringes of the storm ) even if the islands weren't ones on our route.

Anyone that has cruised the Caribbean during the period of June to November has cruised during hurricane season.

True, we did cruise last year the first part of June so technically hurricane season, just early I guess!

True! I guess I meant the season after kids are back in school; late August through October, when fares are low.

Our Hurricane Sandy cruise was during mid-October.

Most all cruise lines sail full regardless of it being hurricane season or late August through October.

We live in Florida so hurricane season doesn't really bother us!!!...lol

We just sailed Oasis last Sept (21-27) and it was an awesome cruise!!!....There were 3 other ships at port in Bahamas...but St. Martin and St. Thomas we were the only ships in port that day!!! Very quite!

Plus the weather was awesome!!!

We will def. plan another cruise during season!!!

My husband and I sailed on Carnival Dream during hurricane Sandy. Our 7-day turned into an 8-day; the last day sailing in a big circle off the coast of Miami in rough seas because PC had been closed. Our days in port though (eastern Caribbean) were absolutely beautiful. It was a bit of a hassle changing our return flight from sea, but I do give credit to Carnival for doing their best to accommodate everyone. Even though we were rocking and rolling, and blocked from going out onto our balcony, we never got sea sick, and I never felt like we were in danger.

Now we're planning our first back-to-back on FOS for September. Our friends who sailed with us think we're nuts.

Anyone else out there who enjoys the adventure (and low fares) of cruising during hurricane season?

I'm on the FOS September 21st. My first cruise to the Caribbean was in October way back in 1988. :eek: I never even gave it a second thought. I have insurance for both air and the cruise. No worries here!

These guys have a big ocean to sail on. They can alter their routes to go around storms and keep sunshine coming on deck. They also usually have some flexibility on port selection so unless it's a mega, mega storm that covers thousands of miles, they can handle it. Rough seas could be an issue if they have to sail on the fringes, but there is not much that will put these guys in danger of sinking.

Sailed twice on the Oasis in September . Rates were very good , in fact one of my most least expensive cruises was the second one on the Oasis .

Airfare was cheap too. Weather was fabulous and seas were calm . There was a Carnival ship that changed route and sailed along with us as there was bad weather on their intinerary . They do have flexibility to avoid storms . I would do it again without hesitation . If you have seen the Wolf of Wall Street movie you may have a different view of sailing in stormy seas though.

cheers

I'm on the FOS September 21st. My first cruise to the Caribbean was in October way back in 1988. :eek: I never even gave it a second thought. I have insurance for both air and the cruise. No worries here!

That's the second leg of our back-to-back! :)

We typically sail the last week of August every year in the past 7, except one. We always buy insurance so not to worried. Our first Oasis cruise had some rough weather, and we had to change ports of call, but all in all it was a great trip!

We've never considered hurricane season when booking a cruise.

Wasn't sure how to read this, Bob....do you mean you never consider hurricane season when you book a cruise (you go when you want regardless of time of year)

or.....you would never consider booking a cruise during hurricane season?

Just curious :D In general, I avoid that time of year, but being from the Midwest it's easy to do, since we tend to cruise during the cold weather months here....

We've cruised during a hurricane a few years ago (in Oct) I cant remember the name of the storm (I think it was Irene). We had to to miss Cayman Islands because the port is tendered and the waves too high , but we barely felt any rocking inside the ship , everything else was fine , weather perfect and prices right :D

Wasn't sure how to read this, Bob....do you mean you never consider hurricane season when you book a cruise (you go when you want regardless of time of year)

or.....you would never consider booking a cruise during hurricane season?

Just curious :D In general, I avoid that time of year, but being from the Midwest it's easy to do, since we tend to cruise during the cold weather months here....

Sorry for the ambiguous post. We cruise when our schedule allows and the price is acceptable. In other words, hurricane season has no bearing on our decision.

Our anniversary is in October, and we cruise to celebrate so that's when we normally book. We've had beautiful weather for each cruise. I love when it's really hot outside. We cruised this January, and while it was warm...it wasn't hot the way I like it. Still a fun cruise though! :)

For us, we don't exclude 6 months of the year that cruises are not a consideration. Had some itinerary changes including the cruise ending in a different port than the one we left from. Yes, it was "supposed" to be a closed loop cruise!! So far have not really had a bad experience however.

Our anniversary is in October, and we cruise to celebrate so that's when we normally book. We've had beautiful weather for each cruise. I love when it's really hot outside. We cruised this January, and while it was warm...it wasn't hot the way I like it. Still a fun cruise though! :)

Same with us. Anniversary time is in October so that is why we cruise in October either on or as close to it as possible. Nothing but great weather each time! :cool:

We boarded the Disney Dream just as Sandy went through. Atlantis in the Bahamas was mostly closed due to storm damage, and we had a couple of excursions cancelled but we still had a great time.