Oceania air to Cape Town

Pearl64

We are taking the transatlantic cruise in November 2015 from Cape Town to Rio. We will be flying from Pittsburgh. I was trying to find a way to break up the long flight. We have the Mileage Plus credit card and have United miles. We won't have many miles as we will use them for our trip to China next April. I did a search on Kayak but flight connections were worse than from the US. Any suggestions? We will probably take the Delta flight back unless United has one with better connections. Just trying to plan.

Pearl

You could fly Virgin Atlantic to London and then they have a LHR to Cape Town direct (no transfer in J-berg). If you want to break up a few days in London is nice.

VA's premium economy was was worth the extra money.

Alternatively with no stopovers -- SA flies from IAD to J-berg direct.

We are taking the transatlantic cruise in November 2015 from Cape Town to Rio. We will be flying from Pittsburgh. I was trying to find a way to break up the long flight. We have the Mileage Plus credit card and have United miles. We won't have many miles as we will use them for our trip to China next April. I did a search on Kayak but flight connections were worse than from the US. Any suggestions? We will probably take the Delta flight back unless United has one with better connections. Just trying to plan.

Pearl

One of the great mistakes is to jump between airlines if you have a good program. UA is far better than Delta in every way from availability to earning

It is penny wise and pound foolish to jump around. Stick with UA and use the card for everything... no more cash. I hope you paid for the cruises all with the UA card/ You know, you can each get several more cards each and earn a quick 70,000 pp without spending a dime...

One of the great mistakes is to jump between airlines if you have a good program. UA is far better than Delta in every way from availability to earning

It is penny wise and pound foolish to jump around. Stick with UA and use the card for everything... no more cash. I hope you paid for the cruises all with the UA card/ You know, you can each get several more cards each and earn a quick 70,000 pp without spending a dime...

Wow, what an over generalized blanket statement! A very key factor in choosing which airline to pick for primary loyalty depends on where one lives. Agree that UA is generally better in ways you have stated and since South African Airways is part of the Star Alliance,it could be a good option for many folks to South Africa. We use Pittsburgh airport on occasion due to family living very close. We find that due to comparatively limited service, United is indeed one of the worst airline options to use as primary carrier from PIT, especially since US Airways is merging with AA and therefore those flights will not be part of the Star Alliance.

Yes, I was trying to use United and use my card but there is husband who is from the previous century. He still uses the envelope system. To answer your question, we did use the United card for the deposits and will use it for final payment. Anyway, are you saying we can get another Mileage Plus credit card? Won't doing this affect our credit score? Is there a way we can pay for part and use miles for part? We are going to be miles short for our China trip. These ff miles are a new thing for me to figure out. The only reason we used Delta the last time was due to our flying out of Atlanta.

We really would like to be out of steerage. We did that on AirNZ and vowed never again. It took us two weeks to recover.

Thanks PaulMCO and Hawaiidan!

Pearl

Speaking from experience. Fly to London, stay over 2 nights to adjust for the time difference, then fly to Cape Town. This way you will be ready to see Cape Town which is beautiful as you are rested. That particular cruise is quite port intensive at the beginning, so the more you are rested the better you will enjoy the ports.

Yes, I was trying to use United and use my card but there is husband who is from the previous century. He still uses the envelope system. To answer your question, we did use the United card for the deposits and will use it for final payment. Anyway, are you saying we can get another Mileage Plus credit card? Won't doing this affect our credit score? Is there a way we can pay for part and use miles for part? We are going to be miles short for our China trip. These ff miles are a new thing for me to figure out. The only reason we used Delta the last time was due to our flying out of Atlanta.

We really would like to be out of steerage. We did that on AirNZ and vowed never again. It took us two weeks to recover.

Thanks PaulMCO and Hawaiidan!

Pearl

Ok, I make the " over generalized statement after well of 30 years of serious flying millions of miles. It is a valid statement which saves me$ 8000 to $15000 real dollars every year. I airline and one hotel chain Marriott.. nation wide world wide...

On Pearl I have written this many times but for you here is how you can pick up a good 200,000 miles in a few months without flying a lick or spending a dime extra. that you do for beans gas taxes or medicine..... ready?

When you get a UA credit card, each of you can apply for and get a different card. Then each has a it coupled to your UAL FF #. That's 30,000 miles each Then each of you puts the others name on your card add 5000, each

We are now at 35,000 miles...each! OK?

you wait 90 days, and go get another of their cards ( they have 3 or 4 beyond the Explorer.) Now you again both do the exact same thing as before and pow>>>> another 35,000 miles!.......

So now each person has 70,000 miles ( 140,000 altogether)....

Wait another 90 days and bingo... pick another UA card...and do the same as before. Now in 60 mos you have each 105 ,000 miles each ! (210,000 total)

And that's without flying! or spending anything more than an annual card fee of about $400 the second year.

Now charge everything from gum to taxes on your cards, and you will pick up an easy 1200 miles each paying bills, buying gas, etc. NO MORE CASH or Checks if at all possible ! Cash and checks are your enemy... use the cards.

I wince at the grocery store to see people pull out money or write a check !!!

Putting all your cards on auto pay with the bank..100% pay off each month. in 6 mos that 7200 miles each so your at 112,200 each !!!

Then all your travel and big ticket items, car repair... and of course UA air fare For your cruise you pays 1/2 !! UA tickets get double points. So lets say your trip to South America will cost you 2500 in air each and 20,000 K in cruise.... not to mention say another 4000 of on board cost and that is 5000 for the ai so that's 17,000 more miles..

. Now your right at 129,000 miles each !!! add 6 more months and add another routine 7200 miles. !!!.... (136,000 miles each)

And Hey if you spend over 20,000 in a year you get a 10,000 mile bonus !

I have 4 credit cards... 3 ual 1 Marriott My wife has 2 UAL and 1 Marriott we have a credit score of 800+ and best of all 700,000 miles in the bank...and we spend about 100,000 avg each year.

Its called churning. AA cards will not let you. UAL/Chase will! Again a reason to stick at all costs with UAL. Rallydave, PaulMCO.. we all do it and fly first and business for no more than what we normaly spend.

Need extra miles? UAL will sell you extra miles for 3.5 cents each.....

Pearl you can too....start today

Edited by Hawaiidan

You could fly Virgin Atlantic to London and then they have a LHR to Cape Town direct (no transfer in J-berg). If you want to break up a few days in London is nice.

VA's premium economy was was worth the extra money.

Alternatively with no stopovers -- SA flies from IAD to J-berg direct.

I am flying iAd to joberg on sa. I was lucky enough to get business class for miles.

I have to buy ticket from tus to iAd but that will be 350 pp. worth it

I no longer look for flights at an airport near me. I will fly from anywhere in us to get a free bus class ticket and just purchase a ticket to the departure city. Flexibility is the key to getting free flights nowadays

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Speaking from experience. Fly to London, stay over 2 nights to adjust for the time difference, then fly to Cape Town. This way you will be ready to see Cape Town which is beautiful as you are rested. That particular cruise is quite port intensive at the beginning, so the more you are rested the better you will enjoy the ports.

We flew to Cape Town through London last November and did overnight at Heathrow (we stayed at the Sofitel...a bit pricy but so convenient to the terminal) The one night seemed to be enough for us to adjust but the two nights might be even better as that London to Cape Town leg is still 11 hours and will make a bed in Cape Town look VERY inviting. Safe travels whatever you decide.

Ok, I make the " over generalized statement after well of 30 years of serious flying millions of miles. It is a valid statement which saves me$ 8000 to $15000 real dollars every year. I airline and one hotel chain Marriott.. nation wide world wide...

Okay, Hawaiidan, I respect your point. As a Marriott Platinum member, myself, I agree on the hotel side and have done as you suggest to a much lesser extent on the United side. However, where I have to fly for business and personal reasons in the U.S. dictates that most of my flights are on other carriers, even though, ironically, I live near a United hub. So I was making the case that, depending on circumstances, it is not always easy to accumulate miles on just one carrier, as you suggest.

On Pearl I have written this many times but for you here is how you can pick up a good 200,000 miles in a few months without flying a lick or spending a dime extra. that you do for beans gas taxes or medicine..... ready?

When you get a UA credit card, each of you can apply for and get a different card. Then each has a it coupled to your UAL FF #. That's 30,000 miles each Then each of you puts the others name on your card add 5000, each

We are now at 35,000 miles...each! OK?

you wait 90 days, and go get another of their cards ( they have 3 or 4 beyond the Explorer.) Now you again both do the exact same thing as before and pow>>>> another 35,000 miles!.......

So now each person has 70,000 miles ( 140,000 altogether)....

Wait another 90 days and bingo... pick another UA card...and do the same as before. Now in 60 mos you have each 105 ,000 miles each ! (210,000 total)

And that's without flying! or spending anything more than an annual card fee of about $400 the second year.

Now charge everything from gum to taxes on your cards, and you will pick up an easy 1200 miles each paying bills, buying gas, etc. NO MORE CASH or Checks if at all possible ! Cash and checks are your enemy... use the cards.

I wince at the grocery store to see people pull out money or write a check !!!

Putting all your cards on auto pay with the bank..100% pay off each month. in 6 mos that 7200 miles each so your at 112,200 each !!!

Then all your travel and big ticket items, car repair... and of course UA air fare For your cruise you pays 1/2 !! UA tickets get double points. So lets say your trip to South America will cost you 2500 in air each and 20,000 K in cruise.... not to mention say another 4000 of on board cost and that is 5000 for the ai so that's 17,000 more miles..

. Now your right at 129,000 miles each !!! add 6 more months and add another routine 7200 miles. !!!.... (136,000 miles each)

And Hey if you spend over 20,000 in a year you get a 10,000 mile bonus !

I have 4 credit cards... 3 ual 1 Marriott My wife has 2 UAL and 1 Marriott we have a credit score of 800+ and best of all 700,000 miles in the bank...and we spend about 100,000 avg each year.

Its called churning. AA cards will not let you. UAL/Chase will! Again a reason to stick at all costs with UAL. Rallydave, PaulMCO.. we all do it and fly first and business for no more than what we normaly spend.

Need extra miles? UAL will sell you extra miles for 3.5 cents each.....

Pearl you can too....start today

Hi

May I suggest you see the real world re the points systems.

Many of us around the globe do not have the great mileage systems you in the USA have and suspect that is why airlines get into Chapter 11.

Yes we use our cards for everything but we may only get 1/2 point or 1 point for every $dollar spent etc. etc. and it is Australian dollars.

We are limited on what airlines we can use them and only have maybe 2 flights a day from some cities to an Asian airport if we are lucky(normally one) as they all code share now.

Fortunately, when I lived ion the USA for a few years I managed nearly 1 mill. miles on their mileage plan and used them constantly for holidays. Most people globally unless flying frequently cannot get the points built quickly or in some cases they are lost.

I hope you open minded enough to understand we are all not as fortunate as you.

Hi

May I suggest you see the real world re the points systems.

Many of us around the globe do not have the great mileage systems you in the USA have and suspect that is why airlines get into Chapter 11.

Yes we use our cards for everything but we may only get 1/2 point or 1 point for every $dollar spent etc. etc. and it is Australian dollars.

We are limited on what airlines we can use them and only have maybe 2 flights a day from some cities to an Asian airport if we are lucky(normally one) as they all code share now.

Fortunately, when I lived ion the USA for a few years I managed nearly 1 mill. miles on their mileage plan and used them constantly for holidays. Most people globally unless flying frequently cannot get the points built quickly or in some cases they are lost.

I hope you open minded enough to understand we are all not as fortunate as you.

I know some countries "rape" their customers and make it hard if not impossible to get ahead.. The classic is booking cruises from OZ..through a syndicate. I was shocked once to see that Qantas charged for coach in points what many US carriers charged for First or Business for the same route.

Life is not fair.....I wish it were for you down south... I have British friends who get "dummy" addresses in the states and using credit cards and US flyer programs get what their own country would never allow........

I too appreciate that we in the US are fortunate

UA is far better than Delta in every way from availability to earning

That's largely an opinion, not necessarily fact.

Is it easier to earn miles on United? Maybe, I don't fly them so I don't know. I do know that the example you gave of getting multiple airline credit cards and the subsequent bonus miles isn't limited to United. You can get an airline credit card and a bunch of bonus miles from Delta too. (And I'm sure American, etc.) You put all your expenses on your United card...you can do that with other airline cards. Furthermore, the average person doesn't fly millions of miles as you do, so likely isn't going to rack up the number of miles you have. And many people choose not to apply for as many credit cards as possible. So for many, the ability to get a bunch of credit cards and/or rack up the most miles possible isn't the determining factor it what an airline that is "best in every way." Someone who flies only once or twice a year may not care about using miles, so earning them may be totally irrelevant.

Location is also big factor. I live in a city that only has about a dozen daily departures on United, but 18 or so on Delta. And the United departures all connect in cities far north or west from me... not exactly convenient when my most common destination city is Fort Lauderdale. Much more efficient, for me, to connect in Atlanta on Delta.

Oh, and on another forum I participate in, United is almost universally bashed for poor customer service, and Delta is routinely celebrated. Your experience may be different, but it goes back to my original point: Saying one particular airline is better than another in every way is a very generalized, and very subjective conclusion....an opinion, not a fact. :)

If your schedule will allow, you may want to spend a few days in the Winelands, just outside of Cape Town. Hubby and I rented a car and spent 3 days at a lovely inn about an hour out of Cape Town, and visited wineries in Franshoek, Stellenbosch and Paarl. Some of the most beautiful manors and vineyards we have ever seen....

That's largely an opinion, not necessarily fact.

Is it easier to earn miles on United? Maybe, I don't fly them so I don't know. I do know that the example you gave of getting multiple airline credit cards and the subsequent bonus miles isn't limited to United. You can get an airline credit card and a bunch of bonus miles from Delta too. (And I'm sure American, etc.) You put all your expenses on your United card...you can do that with other airline cards. Furthermore, the average person doesn't fly millions of miles as you do, so likely isn't going to rack up the number of miles you have. And many people choose not to apply for as many credit cards as possible. So for many, the ability to get a bunch of credit cards and/or rack up the most miles possible isn't the determining factor it what an airline that is "best in every way." Someone who flies only once or twice a year may not care about using miles, so earning them may be totally irrelevant.

Location is also big factor. I live in a city that only has about a dozen daily departures on United, but 18 or so on Delta. And the United departures all connect in cities far north or west from me... not exactly convenient when my most common destination city is Fort Lauderdale. Much more efficient, for me, to connect in Atlanta on Delta.

Oh, and on another forum I participate in, United is almost universally bashed for poor customer service, and Delta is routinely celebrated. Your experience may be different, but it goes back to my original point: Saying one particular airline is better than another in every way is a very generalized, and very subjective conclusion....an opinion, not a fact. :)

I reference Frequent Flyer Magazine which published a story about a year ago on award availability and from memory it went like this

Domestic seat international seat

United....................98%...........................86%

American................ 65%..........................45%

Delta.......................35%..........................18%

while I have flown millions of miles, today I may only fly once or twice a year.. Maybe 12000 to 15,000 miles total PAID.

I save my miles as they never expire and use them on Long haul international flights in Business or First, that would cost me $ 7,000 to $10,000 pp ( a recent trip to Europe from Hawaii FC rt was $12700.00 pp)

So for me this pay back is worth a bit of inconvenience... because I get rewards.

Too I stick with only 1 hotel brand Marriott.

In both the UA and Marriott case they have the largest range of options and services world wide

You living in I assume the SE are in the heard of Delta... but still have 12 ual flights a day.

You may be able to churn with Delta like United, but American has as of this year put a clamp on that for its customers... ( plus putting more seats on the same planes in first and coach cramming in as much as possible)

People make decisions for themselves, many times on false assumptions ( like getting more than one credit card will hurt credit) Many simply do not think they could ever get the miles the need because they do not fly.. but every year spend 25-40,000 on household expenses and maybe another 10,000 on vacations/recreation. And How about property tax, income tax, !!!

Within a few short years, saving and charging a normal person will build up a huge account that will be there for them for life.

This fourm is full of people saying....Oh I wish I had saved or gotten FF miles .... You do not know... but its darn nice to have that option...

As you said they did not think it a priority until one day years later the need arises and option is not there..........Its like saving for retirement...

My experience over 30+ years with American, NorthWest, Delta, TWA, Pan Am,Swiss, BA,PSA, Western, Alaska and United......over all United has been the best... Right now their intl Business seat is the best in the US

So, your call.... What is important to you now. Question is, what will be important in the future?

I reference Frequent Flyer Magazine which published a story about a year ago on award availability

Again, award availability alone does not make an airline "best in all categories." It just means their best in award availability.

So, your call.... What is important to you now. Question is, what will be important in the future?

That's pretty much my point. You said United was best in all categories. I simply pointed out that your opinion was that United was best, because they were best in what mattered to you. Other people may value other things that make a different airline "best."

Bottom line: There is no single airline that is definitively "best" all around. :)

That's pretty much my point. You said United was best in all categories. I simply pointed out that your opinion was that United was best, because they were best in what mattered to you. Other people may value other things that make a different airline "best."

Bottom line: There is no single airline that is definitively "best" all around. :)

But a person needs to weigh all the factors, some that may seem do not apply and project his or her potential future need. THe overlying principal is never spend money on something unless you get back something more for your money than you paid.

I know some countries "rape" their customers and make it hard if not impossible to get ahead.. The classic is booking cruises from OZ..through a syndicate. I was shocked once to see that Qantas charged for coach in points what many US carriers charged for First or Business for the same route.

Life is not fair.....I wish it were for you down south... I have British friends who get "dummy" addresses in the states and using credit cards and US flyer programs get what their own country would never allow........

I too appreciate that we in the US are fortunate

Hi

Just a small correction. Qantas, BA, SQ do not charge when using points. What the charge is taxes etc. On recent flights with QF, Sq the charge for taxes, security was $aud700 and the fare was normally $800. The charge is the same for all classes.

I have dummy addresses in the USA and have lived and worked there and know that system. Problem is charging non-USA dollars to it causes a poor exchange rate and a foreign tx fee which are ignored for points.

Also cruise prices are comparable to your prices on Oceania/Regent except last few months as the exchange rate has gone so they are now converting to a higher price.

This is an issue for most non us based people.

It is not "rape" but what we have to deal with.

Hi

Just a small correction. Qantas, BA, SQ do not charge when using points. What the charge is taxes etc. On recent flights with QF, Sq the charge for taxes, security was $aud700 and the fare was normally $800. The charge is the same for all classes.

I have dummy addresses in the USA and have lived and worked there and know that system. Problem is charging non-USA dollars to it causes a poor exchange rate and a foreign tx fee which are ignored for points.

Also cruise prices are comparable to your prices on Oceania/Regent except last few months as the exchange rate has gone so they are now converting to a higher price.

This is an issue for most non us based people.

It is not "rape" but what we have to deal with.[/quote

I feel for you guys in OZ when I worked there briefly I was astounded by the income taxes you folks have to pay... and the taxes on everything. and regulations and licenses for everything.

It is an issue too for us from the USA..... flying from say Londons "thiefrow" airport. If I fly LA to LHR the tax and fees are around $12.... However if I fly out of UK... the departure tax per person in Business in $312pp USD.... I know fly back from FRA or BRU where the tax is only $75 !!

I know too many airlines like BA charge huge fuel surcharges to use award tickets.... None of my programs that I use charge anything like that... The tax to fly SFO to HKG is a whopping $9.50.

All programs, airlines, airports and countries are not created equal.....

But a person needs to weigh all the factors, some that may seem do not apply and project his or her potential future need. THe overlying principal is never spend money on something unless you get back something more for your money than you paid.

You continue to miss the point. You said United was better than Delta in every way, which is simply not true. It is better in some ways for some people, but it is not categorically better in every way. :rolleyes:

I am sure there must have been a real point to this thread at its origination, but it seems we may have lost it somewhere in all the back and forth!!!

Wiks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

United is my least favorite airline for many reasons--including poor employee attitude---except for the portions that were Continental. In international business class Delta is much better than United.

As for South Africa---My wife and I have flown Delta and SAA business class from USA and both were excellent. Going through Europe has some appeal because you can break up the trip--if you can afford the time.

• 2 weeks later...
It is an issue too for us from the USA..... flying from say Londons "thiefrow" airport. If I fly LA to LHR the tax and fees are around $12.... However if I fly out of UK... the departure tax per person in Business in $312pp USD.... I know fly back from FRA or BRU where the tax is only $75 !!

QUOTE]

Dan - I suggest you google the latest articles on crime at LAX .......

I now find that breaking up the trip is just a major must do. I just can not do the rush through the huge airport bit anymore and realize that my cruising life will be limited by can I get to the pier ? -- the worst part of the trip is the travel at the start and end. Often I find that it is cheaper to do Southwest or another airline to a hub in the US then find a flight across the ocean then get to the place that I need to catch a ship. From Pittsburgh I suggest that you look at getting to IDA (Dulles), EWR (Newark NJ), Chicago, or Detroit. These have many airlines flying internationally. Just spend some time on Expedia or ITA and see who goes where and for how much. Just another piece of the puzzle for me that I have fun playing with. We try to put cities before and after cruises that we can spend 3 or 4 days in getting to know better than just the airport or a 8 hour port stop. Consider that a few days in a city precruise is a wonderful part of the cruise. same post cruise. Now that we have the time what a wonderful advantage it is to break up the trip.