Flight Day Of...

rick&james

That flight probably is the same price the day before.

That was my thought as well, is there a difference in the pricing for that same flight arriving the day before?

I just couldn't feel good about booking a flight the day of. There are too many reasons a flight can be delayed/cancelled, even with good weather.

Don't assume that everyone would be stressed in that situation.

I'm not. That's embedded in the context of the words I chose and the thread itself. If the OP had no worries about it they wouldn't have posted. :D

I have flown same day of flight before with no problems bur will never do it again. On Monday, a 2 and 1/2 hr flight from Houston to Denver turned into a ten hour nightmare. After being delayed 7 hrs due to a mechanical problem, I realized that you never know what is going to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sometimes you just can't leave the day before. That has happened to us and we sailed the day of. We bought insurance but never needed to use it. I think I would look for some insurance that would cover it for piece of mind but it sounds like you have pretty good odds on getting there.

I always fly in the day before, but if you do decide to do this, please make note of the other American flights that go to Miami that day and write down their flight numbers. I would also put the American customer servicer phone number into my phone address book. If for some reason, your flight is delayed or cancelled, you can call American immediately and beat others for that empty seat. I did this on a Delta flight once and got the only empty seat on the next flight out while others were standing in line at the Delta counter.

We usually fly in the day of the cruise, and have not had any issues....

It really is a RISK.

This year DH smartened up, and we are actually flying in a day prior.

I think he just wants to spend the 4th of July in Miami, instead of CT.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

How long of a drive would it be from Nashville to FLL?

Edited by KPfromCT

12 hours to MIAMI but if something happens getting to ATL would be the best because there are lots of flights going to South Florida

We usually fly in the day of the flight, and have not had any issues....

It really is a RISK.

This year DH smartened up, and we are actually flying in a day prior.

I think he just wants to spend the 4th of July in Miami, instead of CT.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

How long of a drive would it be from Nashville to FLL?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is a great deal for American especially. I do direct day-of flights for about half of my cruises, but it is risky. I've been lucky and never been delayed. And I only do direct flights. Miami's airport is kind of confusing since they re-did it, so head's up. When are you cruising?

Taking a direct flight is not a problem if you are flying in warm weather, but I would not take a direct flight on the same day if you are cruising during the winter months.

Edited by Shipbound

First time we ever flown to take a cruise.

Booked an early am flight non stop from Orlando to San Juan

First bad sign: flight delayed 30 minutes.. clear sky, sunny a beautiful day to fly.

Next: FLIGHT CANCEL !!!

Told us no flights till the next day..

They told me I could drive the 90 minutes to West Palm... flight leaves in 3 hours..

Long story short... air port is 2 1/2 hours away.. no time to get a rental

Did grab a taxi.. $430.00 for cab, $20.00 for tolls and $50.00 for tip

(got us there with minutes to spare)

Way too much stress...

Jet Blue did reimbuse me the ground transportation gave us $50.00 credit; asked them for $100.00 more for each one of us... they did.

Next cruise out of San Juan booking the day before.

Cathy

if something happens getting to ATL would be the best because there are lots of flights going to South Florida

I live in ATL. As you said, tons of flights from here going south. But just a quick glance at flights for this weekend shows every single one of them oversold, some by as many as 10. So that there are "plenty of flights" doesn't translate into them having a seat for you.

If your nonstop from Nashville is delayed or canceled, the airline will re-accommodate you on the next available flight WITH SEATS, which could easily be a flight departing tomorrow, and connecting in Detroit, New York or some other out of the way place.

I'm 50/50 on my 6 cruises. Three I've flown day of and three the night before.

I'm sometimes mildly concerned that something may go wrong but it hasn't stopped me yet from flying the day of if that's what works best for.

I say go with what you feel comfortable with.

As a side note, about a year and a half ago I was flying to Nashvile on the day of the activity that was important to me. I knew something was wrong about 45 minutes before departure time because there was no plane at the gate. Soon we were alerted that there was a mechanical issue and a plane would have to come from Charlotte for us to fly. The agents rebooked me and my mother on another airline but something with the transfer didn't go right so I couldn't board the flight although I told my mother to go ahead because I now had to wait 3 hours just to SEE if I could get a seat on the flight at noon. Luckily, there was space for me on the noon flight and arrived in Nashville at about 2 or so.

I was extremely stressed but luckily the event I was going to didn't start until 7pm and the time difference helped ease my anxiety. Had I been flying for a cruise, I would have been all to pieces.

But even with all that said, if I take all of my leisure travel flights combined the Nashville flight is the ONLY one I've had delayed and/or canceled. So basically, I still don't think it's a bad bet to fly in the day of.

AMERICAN has a NonStop Flight From Nashville to Miami for 128 pp which is a great deal the Flight is 600am-900am but just nervous have never done day of cruise on any of my 23 cruises should I go for it ?

We were originally set to fly in the morning of, nonstop from Tulsa to Houston, arriving at 10:00 AM, then of course we have to shuttle to Galveston. As our cruise got closer and closer, I started to get really nervous and decided it wasn't worth the stress. I've read on here so many times how it's not a good idea to fly in the day of. Now we're flying in the day before. :)

Taking a direct flight is not a problem if you are flying in warm weather, but I would not take a direct flight on the same day if you are cruising during the winter months.

While winter probably has the most cancellations, I'd also be wary of flights during the afternoon during the summer (especially July and August). Atlanta and some other airports are notorious for having delays because of thunderstorms. I was in ATL one time and a quick 20 minute thunderstorm blew through. When they started take-offs again, we were forty third in line for take-off!!!

We've only flown in the day of once. While we didn't have any problems, we'll never do it again. I spent the night before the flight worrying that the garage door wouldn't open and we'd have to call a cab. Then, the drive to the airport worrying that the shuttle from the lot would be late, full or would break down. Once we got checked in at the airport, my worry turned to would we take off on time? Then, I remembered being delayed after landing in Chicago once because President Bush was at the airport, so I started worrying about being stuck on the plane in MIA. Then, what if our luggage didn't make it, it happens even on direct flights. By the time we finally got to the ship, I had literally worried myself sick. The scary thing...I'm not a worrier. I go with the flow and don't normally have travel anxieties. There are too many "what if's" flying in the day of.

I work for American Airlines and see it all the time. Passengers traveling day of cruise.

GO THE DAY BEFORE!

Some weeks ago one couple going on the Tom Joyner cruise arrived late. They said they had a flat tire and arrived within 45 min. of the flights departure.

The ticket counter put them on standby for the flight I was working. My Miami flight was oversold. I had people who purchased tickets for the flight with no seats. So, while I'm dealing with those irate passengers, also going on a cruise, the couple comes up and ask me will they get on. I look at all morning flights to MIA, FLL even PBI. No availability.

I tell them their chances dont look good and the husband loses it. Screaming, cursing and making a scene. Managers are called and now has to deal with the oversold passengers as well as the late couple.

Everyone showed up for the flight. The couple didn't get on and the oversold people were put on a connection thru CLT. When I was walking away after the flight left, I saw the police, managers and the irate couple, so I don't know what happened to them. I do know that Tom Joyner cruise is very expensive.

People were crying it was just a terrible way to start a vacation. And we see it all the time working here.

Maintenance delays, weather delays, flight cancellations, crew rest, oversold, car trouble, accident on highway, etc.

I know people are saying they fly the day of and have never had a problem. Its a chance you take. Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

I work for American Airlines and see it all the time. Passengers traveling day of cruise.

GO THE DAY BEFORE!

Some weeks ago one couple going on the Tom Joyner cruise arrived late. They said they had a flat tire and arrived within 45 min. of the flights departure.

The ticket counter put them on standby for the flight I was working. My Miami flight was oversold. I had people who purchased tickets for the flight with no seats. So, while I'm dealing with those irate passengers, also going on a cruise, the couple comes up and ask me will they get on. I look at all morning flights to MIA, FLL even PBI. No availability.

I tell them their chances dont look good and the husband loses it. Screaming, cursing and making a scene. Managers are called and now has to deal with the oversold passengers as well as the late couple.

Everyone showed up for the flight. The couple didn't get on and the oversold people were put on a connection thru CLT. When I was walking away after the flight left, I saw the police, managers and the irate couple, so I don't know what happened to them. I do know that Tom Joyner cruise is very expensive.

People were crying it was just a terrible way to start a vacation. And we see it all the time working here.

Maintenance delays, weather delays, flight cancellations, crew rest, oversold, car trouble, accident on highway, etc.

I know people are saying they fly the day of and have never had a problem. Its a chance you take. Whatever you decide enjoy your cruise.

Yikes! Never understood how airlines are allowed to oversell flights...very disappointing for all. I do feel bad for ticket counter people in this situation as well.

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

Never going day of again, always go a day early. In November we could not land in CLT due to fog after circling for an hour we diverted to TRI in Tennessee to refuel and wait out the fog, missed the connecting flight in CLT, had to take a letter flight and our luggage ended up on an even later flight. If this had not been the day of we would have been in trouble. Luggage made it to the hotel prior to check out time on embarkation morning.

This Cruise is last minute leaving April 20th and there is another non stop leaving at 10 am and 5 other flights leaving and Arriving before 1pm that have connections

Chances are that things will go smoothly. It sounds like you've weighed your options and have done your research for contingency plans if you need it.

I hope you enjoy your last-minute cruise! Have a DOD for us!

Nope, Natta, No Way!

I didn't see the time of year so not sure if weather is a factor and if it's a direct flight that's one check mark in the plus column.

However, we did an Alaska cruise with ten other friends and one couple's luggage didn't show up until day two. Luckily we had gone to Vancouver two days early so stuff showed up before we sailed. Had we gone in day of they would have been without clothes until our first port, which was day three.

We once did a Delta flight that left at 6:30 AM, or I should say was scheduled for 6:30 AM. We finally left on a red eye that night and didn't get to MIA until 7:30 AM next day.

Again, luckily we went two days early so no harm no foul. Except Embassy Suites gave away my room I paid for and couldn't get us a room until 12:30 PM. That was not a fun day after being up all night. All was good after a couple hour nap and a few cocktails and food.

AMERICAN has a NonStop Flight From Nashville to Miami for 128 pp which is a great deal the Flight is 600am-900am but just nervous have never done day of cruise on any of my 23 cruises should I go for it ?

I booked a flight from Flint, MI to Atlanta with similar times, non-stop for our wedding 2 days later. Boarded plane and was told there was a mechanical problem and they didn't have the part at that airport to fix it. Our flight was delayed over 6 hours on a warm, June day. Food for thought...

Edited by alligirl78

We've done it on SW, US, and AA with no problems, but recently we choose to fly in the day before. We just returned from a non-cruise a few weeks ago, and due to a baggage handling belt at PHL at 6:00am, some early morning flights were cancelled, while others didn't get to board a plane until 12 hours later at 6:00pm. For our cruise in August which have around a dozen of us going, the first of us will be on early morning flights, while the rest will be on mid-afternoon flights, which gives us a chance for plan "B" if something should occur.