Emergency medical response...

Have you witnessed an emergency medical response on a Carnival ship? I saw a response to a seizure/stroke victim on the Glory earlier this month and thought it was absolutely pathetic. If it was not for volunteer passengers the victim would have undoubtably suffered a terrible result. When carnival medical staff finally arrived I felt they were ill equipped to handle the situation. I hope this is not the norm and that there are some positive experiences to be shared?

I've never witnessed the staff responding to an emergency onboard, but have seen people in the infirmary. I also seen while in Grand Turks a gentleman have a heart attack on board, and they had to transport him off the ship while in port. I have also seen on both my Royal cruises, and twice in Carnival the Coast Guard transport someone off via helicopter.

Have you witnessed an emergency medical response on a Carnival ship? I saw a response to a seizure/stroke victim on the Glory earlier this month and thought it was absolutely pathetic. If it was not for volunteer passengers the victim would have undoubtably suffered a terrible result. When carnival medical staff finally arrived I felt they were ill equipped to handle the situation. I hope this is not the norm and that there are some positive experiences to be shared?

I've seen a non-life-threatening situation, and my mom had to go to Med Center due to blistered feet (watch that aft pool deck, folks, it gets HOT!), but I thought the response was appropriate and my mom had nothing but praise for the medical personnel.

This does bring to mind another question, though: which Carnival ships -- if any -- have Automatic Emergency Defibrillators (AEDs), and where are they located?

I'm CPR/AED certified through my work, and I don't recall seeing any AEDs onboard any ship so far.

Ill equipped in what way? Passengers essentially are first responders until staff arrives to assess the situation and determine their needs.

I saw a woman pass out in the dining room one night. I responded--she'd taken her insulin too long before eating. Another passenger and I got her straightened out (literally, she was crumpled under the table) and the medical team arrived. We had assessed her ABC's (airway, breathing, and circulation) and they took it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Back in 2011 on the Ecstasy, an elderly man passed out during breakfast at the drink station right next to me. I reached for him as he was falling, as did his daughter but neither of us caught him. He hit his head on the deck pretty hard. I used to be an EMT so directed someone to go get help as we held him still, stabilizing his neck. He came to after about 30 seconds and tried to get up. We (his daughter and I) convinced him to lay still until help arrived. Within a minute security was there, and did mostly crowd control (gawkers are everywhere!) and the response team was there with three minutes. I stepped back after giving my "report" and they evaluated him further. Eventually, they helped him up into a chair, and then carried him down to what I assume was the Infirmary, but could have been his room. Then I went to my room and washed up from where I dropped my breakfast all over myself reaching for him!

I did see him later in the cruise and asked how was doing. He said he just got light-headed and was doing fine.

I thought the response from Carnival was fine.

Back in 2011 on the Ecstasy, an elderly man passed out during breakfast at the drink station right next to me. I reached for him as he was falling, as did his daughter but neither of us caught him. He hit his head on the deck pretty hard. I used to be an EMT so directed someone to go get help as we held him still, stabilizing his neck. He came to after about 30 seconds and tried to get up. We (his daughter and I) convinced him to lay still until help arrived. Within a minute security was there, and did mostly crowd control (gawkers are everywhere!) and the response team was there with three minutes. I stepped back after giving my "report" and they evaluated him further. Eventually, they helped him up into a chair, and then carried him down to what I assume was the Infirmary, but could have been his room. Then I went to my room and washed up from where I dropped my breakfast all over myself reaching for him!

I did see him later in the cruise and asked how was doing. He said he just got light-headed and was doing fine.

I thought the response from Carnival was fine.

Same story to the tee for me on the Valor in October 2011. I too am an EMT and I was able to utilize my DW for initial crowd control and interviewing the patient's spouse for name, DOB, MEDS, Past medical history and allergies. As she obtain the information that left me holding his head/neck, bleeding control, and positive coaching. His fall earned him a nice concussion that left him dizzy/seasick for the rest of the voyage but he did not have to leave the ship. The gentleman that fell was a retired firefighter that lives 4 town away from mine. We are in contact via FB and he is doing fine.

Edited by Chileancruiser
Wrong date

Toesinthewater728,

I am curious as to what initial response you feel is appropriate for a stroke victim?

Depending on the stroke's affect the most appropriate care would be to maintain the airway while awaiting transport. There would be no pressing need for IV therapy or any other intervention. Vitals inclucing BP, pulse and respiratory rate would also be rather moot since they cannot be corrected initially. Other than maintaining an airway they should only provide for privacy and comfort while awaiting transport.

'Pathetic' care would have to involve making the victim walk or stand on their own or some other drastic measure. Did this occur? You may have mistaken someone testing various neuro deficits for mistreatment, but not testing neuro or testing wouldn't be pathetic care in the initial response.

Stroke intial treatments' most important care is recognizing that a stroke may have occured and notifying appropriate personnel. Years ago that was pretty much all of the treatment, but times have changed a lot and now we can reverse many strokes, but initial treatment hasn't changed drastically.

To those that asked if there was an AED on board, yes there is. We were on the magic and spent quite a bit of time in the infirmary with my daughter as she decided to break her finger by slamming it In those heavy balcony doors. They hAd one In there. There was ultra sound equipment and x ray machines. We were a little nervous as there is quite a language barrier with the dr but all went well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To those that asked if there was an AED on board, yes there is. We were on the magic and spent quite a bit of time in the infirmary with my daughter as she decided to break her finger by slamming it In those heavy balcony doors. They hAd one In there. There was ultra sound equipment and x ray machines. We were a little nervous as there is quite a language barrier with the dr but all went well.

If you don't mind me asking. How much was it for your daughter's visit to the infirmary? We typically buy travel insurance with the hope of never using.

Oh I was so nervous about the coat she had X-rays. Morphine shots because they had to drill a hole in her nail to let the blood drain. But to answer your question. We paid nothing as did others If they weren't drinking there was no chArge but we saw people who had been drinking get charged.

Oh I was so nervous about the coat she had X-rays. Morphine shots because they had to drill a hole in her nail to let the blood drain. But to answer your question. We paid nothing as did others If they weren't drinking there was no chArge but we saw people who had been drinking get charged.

That must of been intense for a parent. I'm glad everything came out well. Thanks for your feed back.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

While the IMO does not require an AED to be carried on ships that have a doctor onboard, many ships will have them. There will be either an AED or an emergency room defibrillator, or both, in the medical center, and there may be one or two located around the ships in crew areas. Because of the availability of trained medical personnel within a couple of football fields of wherever needed, the AED's are generally not placed for passenger access.

........ We paid nothing as did others If they weren't drinking there was no chArge but we saw people who had been drinking get charged.

dcloer,

'At fault' billing is a great policy.

Toesinthewater728,

I am curious as to what initial response you feel is appropriate for a stroke victim?

Depending on the stroke's affect the most appropriate care would be to maintain the airway while awaiting transport. There would be no pressing need for IV therapy or any other intervention. Vitals inclucing BP, pulse and respiratory rate would also be rather moot since they cannot be corrected initially. Other than maintaining an airway they should only provide for privacy and comfort while awaiting transport.

'Pathetic' care would have to involve making the victim walk or stand on their own or some other drastic measure. Did this occur? You may have mistaken someone testing various neuro deficits for mistreatment, but not testing neuro or testing wouldn't be pathetic care in the initial response.

Stroke intial treatments' most important care is recognizing that a stroke may have occured and notifying appropriate personnel. Years ago that was pretty much all of the treatment, but times have changed a lot and now we can reverse many strokes, but initial treatment hasn't changed drastically.

Thank you for this insight. The OP also mentioned a seizure which has similiar protocol. Keep the airway clear, keep them from getting injured ...there's no much else to be done except wait it out. The CDC website doesn't even recommend calling 911 unless the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes but if you have one on a cruise ship, I'm betting you get a trip to the infirmary regardless of how long it lasts. If it was a grand mal seizure, I could see how people would think it was cruel to not do more; they are scary to see and you feel pretty helpless.

dcloer,

'At fault' billing is a great policy.

I agree. I once scratched my throat when swallowing something that I got from the buffet. I thought I might have had a fish bone in my throat.

I went to the infirmary and was evaluated by both the nurse and the doctor. He determined that something had scratched my throat and gave me some numbing spray to use.

It didn't cost me anything and they even called several times during the rest of the cruise to make sure I was feeling better.

Thank you for this insight. The OP also mentioned a seizure which has similiar protocol. Keep the airway clear, keep them from getting injured ...there's no much else to be done except wait it out. The CDC website doesn't even recommend calling 911 unless the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes but if you have one on a cruise ship, I'm betting you get a trip to the infirmary regardless of how long it lasts. If it was a grand mal seizure, I could see how people would think it was cruel to not do more; they are scary to see and you feel pretty helpless.

Yes..to both... seizure protocol also involves repeating "you are having a seizure" and clearing the area and waiting it out. If they have a known condition, then once they are able, they might just be assisted to their cabin to rest and then resume activities.

I lost feeling in my left arm when I was on my cruise in February. I was sitting in the MDR, leaning on a chair talking to my Mom when I lost completely feeling in my left hand and arm and dropped my glass. Our wait staff was immediately by my side assessing me along with another passenger who was a nurse. They calmed me down and convinced my mom to take me to the infirmary. 30 minutes later and $120 ( I think) I was diagnosed with a pinched nerve.

Are you a medical professional, qualified to make these claims? If so, in what capacity? You were able to diagnose a stroke?

While the IMO does not require an AED to be carried on ships that have a doctor onboard, many ships will have them. There will be either an AED or an emergency room defibrillator, or both, in the medical center, and there may be one or two located around the ships in crew areas. Because of the availability of trained medical personnel within a couple of football fields of wherever needed, the AED's are generally not placed for passenger access.

Oh, that's good to know, thanks!

It also emphasizes, at least to me, the importance of getting as many laypeople as possible trained in CPR. It's easy to learn, and it doesn't take long, and it could save a life. If someone collapses, and no one does anything until the medical personnel get there, it might be too late.

If you don't mind me asking. How much was it for your daughter's visit to the infirmary? We typically buy travel insurance with the hope of never using.

I'm not the OP ---

Got Pink Eye on Princess last month. $112 for office visit, test to confirm that nothing was in my eye and medicine. The office visit itself was $75.

While I was there I was talking to a nurse onboard. He was an EMT/firefighter in Chicago and worked in a hospital emergency room for more than a decade. He was reason enough for someone to have to visit Medical. ;)

Edited by SadieN

I think that some of what the OP saw, may have been the "medical team" showing up first because their work stations were closer than the medical center. Most of the "medical team" members are there to provide "grunt labor" in carrying a stretcher case or breaking out the equipment as directed by the doctor/nurse. I don't know of any ship where anyone other than the doctor(s)/nurse(s) were medically trained. On Pride of America, you might get the occasional crewmember who was a volunteer EMT at home, but there really isn't that kind of infrastructure outside the US.

From my days on the Norwegian Sky/Aloha, the medical staff were very good, and handled all kinds of emergencies:

1. A couple of cardiac arrests, I think one successful, one unsuccessful.

2. Several heart attacks, angina, and strokes

3. Lacerations from small to severe: crewmembers getting cut at work (could be any job onboard) to one case I remember well, where some idiot brought a glass into a hot tub, it broke, and they didn't tell anyone about it, just got out, and then a young man stepped down onto the now invisible glass, and required about 50-60 stitches.

4. Heat stroke

And from my own experience, they helped me when I heat prostrated myself to the point where I was passing a kidney stone (they squeezed two bags of IV saline into me in about 3 minutes), and surgically draining an infected tear duct.

I will say that we fired one doctor who didn't feel it was necessary for him to run to emergencies or drills, so the Captain just didn't feel he fit into shipboard life.

When my daughter (7) fell down the stairs they were quick to respond. They took her to the infirmary and the only thing that I was disappointed with was that the x ray machine was broken. They did not charge us.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app