Post a Picture of Your Dress (Part 3)

Host Kat

Imho...I think its great first of all that a 17yr old wants to wear this! I think its sounds perfectly fine to me! You'll certainly get some great advice from all these gals...no hijacking necessary:)

btw...great job on finding that lbd!

Michelle

I need a professional opinion, please. DS (17) is bringing his tux (he has a traditionally styled one for concert band). He will wear it as a traditional tux one of the 2 elegant nights. He also has a royal blue dress shirt and just got a yellow/blue dotted bowtie with a blue pocket square that matches the shirt. Can he wear that with the tux as a "suit"? The only experience I have with tuxes is my husband's at prom (I won't say how many years ago:p) and making sure the kiddo's bowtie is straight for concerts! Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed relevant based on your comment!

And to bring things back to the topic, I picked up a LBD last night (short w/chiffon overlay and sheer flutter sleeves on sale for $10.99! Even my DH commented that was something you just couldn't pass up!:D

I'm not an expert on this but I would think that it would be better if he wore the tux one night and maybe the shirt you mentioned on another night with the tux jacket but not the tux pant. JMHO.;)

I too think it's great that the DS wants to wear a tux. Whatever you all decide, I hope you have a great cruise!:D

Just my two cents ... I wouldn't wear the tux pants if they have the satin stripe. That being said a lot of tuxes have non traditional pants with them now. The bow tie with the royal blue shirt sounds wonderful. Can't wait to see your pictures and congrats on your lbd find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to all for the advice and support - he's a good kid and has very traditional/conservative ideas. He falls right in line with me and his dad about taking the opportunity to make an event out of cruise dining, regardless of how others on Carnival choose to dress! The tux is a no-brainer for him; I was actually more impressed that he was willing to wear the blue shirt and a bowtie - that's stepping out of his usual comfort zone a bit! :D

I don't remember if the tux has the satin stripe or not, so I'll give that a look and then let him decide from there.

We've got a few weeks to go before our cruise on July 5, but I'll have to post pics of the dresses when we get back.

Since this is what I do for a living I love this thread. Still have to find me and oldest dd a short cocktail. Dh is a Texan and really wants to wear his western tux but going to try to talk him into going traditional.

Oh my gosh, I love those dresses for your daughters that you posted. Have your daughters ever been in any pageants? Everyone tells me my daughter should enter them but she's hesitant for some reason. Not very competitive and hates cattiness. I told her she should do it for the scholarship $$ now that she's going to be a college freshman.

Edited by trixiegal

ardenbdress2.jpg.53008eaa818757435e66d7dd86bf98a6.jpg

ardenbdress1.jpg.cd49f67fb251391ef26acaf22e3e697c.jpg

I just ordered these for my daughter last night from Arden B. They had 65% off some very cute short dresses. Both were under $35 each! And I got an additional 10% off with a code from retailmenot.com.

Didn't see anything for myself but I plan on checking out BCBG and White House Black Market at my closest outlet mall. They never fail me.

I've been lurking for a little bit just looking to see what everyone is wearing - the dresses are beautiful. I just had to finally join in and share because I got so excited - I found a floor length, hunter green jersey ruched evening gown yesterday for $30.00 at Ross!:) I go there occasionally, but I was really surprised at the selection of dresses they have right now - everything from dressy cocktail to maxi - and some really great prices!

We ALWAYS dress up for elegant night because I have 3 boys and spend so much time running them around that it's a gift to be able to have a lovely dinner!

I love Ross. The one I go to has a really big dress section and the prices cannot be beat! In the past couple of months DD and I have found several dresses for $20 or less that we plan on wearing on our cruise.

Trixiegal - both of my girls have done pageants. My youngest more than the oldest. Pageants are a great way to earn scholarship money. I serve on a board for a Miss Alabama preliminary and love helping with the Miss Alabama pageant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@jdragr

Your posts with those gorgeous dresses definitely inspired me! I've always loved fashion and wearing formalwear. I worked in fashion retail for years and I live to get invited to galas or weddings just so I can pick out the perfect gown. However, the last few years have been filled with lots of challenges and pressures so I put on some weight and stopped shopping so much (that part isn't necessarily a bad thing! ;)). I was not really looking forward to picking out dresses to wear for the 2 formal nights on my cruises. Nothing I already have in my closet fits. I started out focusing on helping my daughter pick out some dresses and bit the bullet and picked out these two for myself. They're from Cache and I used a Groupon to get them for 25% off already super low prices. Thankfully, I have shoes I can wear with both of them- gold and silver strappy heels.

I really hope they fit because they're final sale...

(sorry for the slight blurriness)

cache2.jpg.5bad5d413d9ede7faa319ea6f0724305.jpg

cache1.jpg.8ea5965192a0b48460816ab4698cd74d.jpg

@jdragr

Your posts with those gorgeous dresses definitely inspired me! I've always loved fashion and wearing formalwear. I worked in fashion retail for years and I live to get invited to galas or weddings just so I can pick out the perfect gown. However, the last few years have been filled with lots of challenges and pressures so I put on some weight and stopped shopping so much (that part isn't necessarily a bad thing! ;)). I was not really looking forward to picking out dresses to wear for the 2 formal nights on my cruises. Nothing I already have in my closet fits. I started out focusing on helping my daughter pick out some dresses and bit the bullet and picked out these two for myself. They're from Cache and I used a Groupon to get them for 25% off already super low prices. Thankfully, I have shoes I can wear with both of them- gold and silver strappy heels.

Those dresses are stunning! I'm sure you're gong to be the "bell of the ball". I sincerely hope you and your family have a great cruise!:D

Those dresses are gorgeous! saw that Groupon also but I've never really shopped there...glad you got a deal!

@jdragr

@jdragr

I'm sure you will look stunning. They are beautiful!

I just bought this for the second formal night or possibly one of the regular dinner nights if we go out afterwards or something! It looks a little short but i'm 5ft2 so hopefully that will be ok :)

dress1.jpg

That's a really beautiful dress and perfect for your cruise formal night. :D

I need a professional opinion, please. DS (17) is bringing his tux (he has a traditionally styled one for concert band). He will wear it as a traditional tux one of the 2 elegant nights. He also has a royal blue dress shirt and just got a yellow/blue dotted bowtie with a blue pocket square that matches the shirt. Can he wear that with the tux as a "suit"? The only experience I have with tuxes is my husband's at prom (I won't say how many years ago:p) and making sure the kiddo's bowtie is straight for concerts! Sorry to hijack the thread, but it seemed relevant based on your comment!

And to bring things back to the topic, I picked up a LBD last night (short w/chiffon overlay and sheer flutter sleeves on sale for $10.99! Even my DH commented that was something you just couldn't pass up!:D

First off, I agree with the others that the fact that your son is excited about formalwear is awesome. Also, I wouldn't wear the tux pants IF they have the satin stripe, but otherwise will work as "suit" pants.

When my son (then 16) went with us on a cruise we rented a tux for him. He of course wore it with the bow tie on formal night, but then we "broke it up" for other nights. He wore it with a black "long" tie one night (no vest) so it looked more like a suit, and then another night he wore the pants, no jacket, but the vest and a striped button down with the sleeves rolled up "casual, hipster" style. In other words, there is more than one way to wear the tuxedo, but it does help if it's well tailored and sans satin stripe.

Have a great cruise!

Thanks to all you lovely ladies for the input on my DS's tux. It does have the satin stripe, but it's all good - he'll wear it as a traditional tux for one elegant night, and then has black dress pants he'll bring to wear with the royal blue shirt and a great Kenneth Cole Reaction tie we picked up at Ross (he's still contemplating the yellow and blue bow tie). Now the middle one (he'll turn 16 a week after the cruise) is on the bandwagon and "forced":p me to go shopping for a suit with him!

Now back to dresses and another question. I'm not really a scarf or wrap type of person, but I found a great pewter empire waist dress with a side slit (another Ross bargain at $20) with spaghetti straps. I picked up a wrap years ago but have never had a chance to wear it. It's triangular shape, sheer black with a "burnout" type floral pattern and fringe. It would probably look quite nice with the pewter dress and black heels, but I have no idea how to wear it - do I just drape it around my shoulders?:confused:

Edited by Whimsy88

Another option would be to drape it on your shoulders and tie the two ends either behind your back or in front of your chest. If in front you could add a brooch for some bling. i usually opt to tie it in the front with a brooch or at least bring a brooch in case the shawl slides off easily. hope that helps.

That's what I would do. I'd like to hear what others would suggest.:D Your dress sounds like it's very pretty. I hope you and your family really have an awesome cruise.:D

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a great day. As I got so much enjoyment out of this thread before my recent cruise I will try to share some pics of some of the dresses I wore. We decided to not dress very formal this time as packing restraints just would not allow. These are the dresses I wore on formal nights and did not feel too out of place. Although there were also may ladies in beautiful full length gowns.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y411/IrishCath/PICT_20140609_191152_zps51ab9eb2.jpg

PICT_20140609_191152_zps51ab9eb2.jpg

Edited by Irish Cath

I cant wait to go through the rest of the dresses on here!! Seems like there is a bit!!! I wanted to post an idea I had for a black dress and making a belt for it... What do you all think? Plus I am hoping it can do double duty on my B2B. One with the belt one without?

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Eydnjthgqubwsnrcgu5853%3Enu%3D324%3A%3E5%3C9%3E89%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D42%3A2%3B86559328nu0mrj

I just bought this for the second formal night or possibly one of the regular dinner nights if we go out afterwards or something! It looks a little short but i'm 5ft2 so hopefully that will be ok :)

dress1.jpg

Love this, really pretty! Where did you purchase it? Thanks!