How many days until your next cruise??? Part 2

Host Kat

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think that unless they are a friend, family or neighbour, they nearly all charge here in Australia,

I can't address Australia specifically but we have a couple of English friends, who moved to NYC some years ago, had their business, eventually sold the business and have petsat pretty much everywhere.  Thailand, Fiji, Costa Rica, USA. and on and on and on.  They recently moved back to UK, bought a home and are still 'sitting.'  Just finished up a couple of weeks in Wales, doing ten days in ???.  Home for Christmas.  Then BACK to Switzerland for their third three month sit there.

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Actually there are a fair few who will do it free, as long as they can move in to your home.

us, well we started planning 33 years ago, got Miss G hooked on puppies, so she will look after Maxy.

I think you will find that Miss G is a family member.

1 hour ago, clo said:

I can't address Australia specifically but we have a couple of English friends, who moved to NYC some years ago, had their business, eventually sold the business and have petsat pretty much everywhere.  Thailand, Fiji, Costa Rica, USA. and on and on and on.  They recently moved back to UK, bought a home and are still 'sitting.'  Just finished up a couple of weeks in Wales, doing ten days in ???.  Home for Christmas.  Then BACK to Switzerland for their third three month sit there.

https://www.trustedhousesitters.com/

I hope these people (the registered sitters) are vetted.

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I already have another 8 booked after this one coming, right up to April 2021. What I need is more recreation leave.

Have I asked this before? Do you do any leisure travel that's not cruising? I was recently talking with a German family who had flown in, rented a motorhome and were touring the West.  We saw them in Death Valley!  We heard a lot of Europeans.

12 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I can’t book that many or that far in advance because of my disabilities.

I hope you enjoy all your cruises.

I am sure I will, and also that you will find another cruise that fits in with your disabilities and time limitations.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

Have I asked this before? Do you do any leisure travel that's not cruising? I was recently talking with a German family who had flown in, rented a motorhome and were touring the West.  We saw them in Death Valley!  We heard a lot of Europeans.

Yes, we travel a lot, probably equal time or more than cruising. Often the travel will tie in with a cruise.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, we travel a lot, probably equal time or more than cruising. Often the travel will tie in with a cruise.

That's great.  You must already get a lot of time off.  'Course lots of the world is more civilized in that regard than the US.

3 hours ago, clo said:

That's great.  You must already get a lot of time off.  'Course lots of the world is more civilized in that regard than the US.

Australian Leave entitlements are pretty generous, full time workers get a minimum of 4 weeks a year annual leave and then there is long Service Leave on top of that. For example Mrs Gut (a school teacher) gets the school holidays, or most of them, and then after ten years with the one school (she works in private school) 13 weeks, and after the 10 years an extra 2 weeks a year. Then you have idjits like me who work for themselves and get as much or as little as they can afford.

so we try to fit in a cruise during school holidays each year (in the next 12 months we have 4 booked that fit in her school holidays) and then every now and then use some long service leave ie five weeks early 2021 circumnavigation of Aus and South NZ.

We are limited in other holiday options as she isn’t allowed to fly and if I do a long road trip I then need about the same amount of time for my back to recover. Her dad lives about 700kms away and while we have had to do the trip a couple of times in the last year or so, stopping a couple of nights each way, I still needed about 10 days in bed to recover. So for us cruising is just about the perfect option.

On 11/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, MicCanberra said:

I think you will find that Miss G is a family member.

Yeah but we also belong to a few Schnauzer breeder and owner groups where people frequently care for each other’s dogs, we also have a great boarding Kennel where Mrs Gut used to teach the manager, they have web cams in the runs and send frequent videos of play time. We use them when Miss Gut is going to be away the same time as us, or with us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Yeah but we also belong to a few Schnauzer breeder and owner groups where people frequently care for each other’s dogs, we also have a great boarding Kennel where Mrs Gut used to teach the manager, they have web cams in the runs and send frequent videos of play time. We use them when Miss Gut is going to be away the same time as us, or with us.

I should look into that.  Thanks for mentioning.  I have no problem with longer trips but short trips can be problematic.  Part of the reason we got the motorhome 🙂

16 minutes ago, clo said:

I should look into that.  Thanks for mentioning.  I have no problem with longer trips but short trips can be problematic.  Part of the reason we got the motorhome 🙂

I had a 35 day round trip Hawaii booked Doctors Made me cancel, the plus was I wouldn’t Be away from Maxy for five weeks. His breeder is also a loooooong time friend and she would have him if we were stuck.

Edited by GUT2407

3 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I had a 35 day round trip Hawaii booked Doctors Made me cancel, the plus was I wouldn’t Be away from Maxy for five weeks. His breeder is also a loooooong time friend and she would have him if we were stuck.

Hairy's breeder is nowhere near here plus she feeds a raw diet which isn't our 'thing.'