Flybridge open?

highflyingrealtor

We were on the Emerald a few weeks ago and were disappointed that the flybridge was not open at all for the 10 days. Is this a new policy for safety perhaps? Past cruises on the Ruby, Crown, etc seemed to have always allowed folks out there for sailaways and while in port. I understand wind related concerns but again, we weren't able to get out at all for this past cruise. Curious if this is fleet wide or maybe Captain specific? Comments appreciated.

We were on the Emerald a few weeks ago and were disappointed that the flybridge was not open at all for the 10 days. Is this a new policy for safety perhaps? Past cruises on the Ruby, Crown, etc seemed to have always allowed folks out there for sailaways and while in port. I understand wind related concerns but again, we weren't able to get out at all for this past cruise. Curious if this is fleet wide or maybe Captain specific? Comments appreciated.

On our last few Emerald cruise we have found it closed for the cruise as well.

I noticed that if its a new schedule and they are making a reflections DVD they let the photographers out there and leave the door open. Guess it all depends.

The bridge wings have been open on the majority of my cruises too. But on at least a couple, it's been closed for the duration of the cruise. Definitely not weather related, so I think it's probably captain-specific. Maybe he just doesn't like hearing people tromping around over his head...:p

I was told by the PSD on Emerald that some passengers fooled with

the electronics out there, and now it is closed forever.

I agree with those who say it's the Captain's decision. For example, on our first Hawaii cruise 3 years ago on the Golden, it was closed the entire cruise. Even when docked all day in Honolulu. Six months later we were on the Golden again, in Alaska. It was open most of the time, except when it was too windy. Fast forward to our latest Hawaii cruise on the Star, just 2 weeks ago. The over the bridge area was open sailing into and departing all the ports. And it was open all day in Honolulu. Both cruises where it was open had the same Captain.

On most ships, go forward into the gym. If you look to the side, there's a door that leads out to the deck. Take that to the front of the ship, go up a few steps and you're there. If it's closed, the gates will be locked shut. Or you can just go to Deck 15, all the way forward (depending on the ship of course).

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

I think I remember reading that there is some sort of equipment out there on the Emerald that is not on other ships and it is never open to the public. Not sure how accurate this is.

Edited by blazerjan

Captain Pomata told me a couple of years ago that it was due to the ship's black box, which is located on the port side of that area above the bridge. I also heard it had been tampered with, but I got that from someone in Customer Relations on the ship, not the captain. It's not captain-specific; we've had at least five captains on the Emerald Princess and it's been closed off for all of them.

Captain Pomata told me a couple of years ago that it was due to the ship's black box, which is located on the port side of that area above the bridge. I also heard it had been tampered with, but I got that from someone in Customer Relations on the ship, not the captain. It's not captain-specific; we've had at least five captains on the Emerald Princess and it's been closed off for all of them.

It's too bad that the "black box" is placed where anyone can touch it. It's in plain view, with a warning, and a railing around it. In todays society, it just screams for some idiot to touch it.

Princess engineering could have relocated it long ago, but chose not to.

Now we pay, one more area closed because of an incident, by some captains/staff captains. Sad, but that's life!!:rolleyes:

Rick

It's too bad that the "black box" is placed where anyone can touch it. It's in plain view, with a warning, and a railing around it. In todays society, it just screams for some idiot to touch it.

Princess engineering could have relocated it long ago, but chose not to.

Now we pay, one more area closed because of an incident, by some captains/staff captains. Sad, but that's life!!:rolleyes:

Rick

Placed over the bridge in an open area for easy access for divers or underwater recovery equipment.

I agree it is too accessible for unauthorized persons.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Placed over the bridge in an open area for easy access for divers or underwater recovery equipment.

I agree it is too accessible for unauthorized persons.

Seems to me I've seen this orange box on many of the other flybridges as well. Surrounded by a metal gate type railing so you can't actually touch it unless you were to climb over the obvious off limits area. I think there is even wordage on or near it to stay away and/or don't touch (or something like that). I'll find and post a picture from a past trip.

Seems to me I've seen this orange box on many of the other flybridges as well. Surrounded by a metal gate type railing so you can't actually touch it unless you were to climb over the obvious off limits area. I think there is even wordage on or near it to stay away and/or don't touch (or something like that). I'll find and post a picture from a past trip.

Not the best picture in the world, but it does show the recorder, and a bit of the railing around it.

205xsgl.jpg

Rick

That the moronic action of some fool has spoiled the ability of passenger's to access that featured area, that was designed for the enjoyment of the passenger's....

I don't see why that recorder couldn't be relocated to a passenger inaccessable spot high up on the radar mast area....or perhaps hung beneath the bridge....either would satisfy the requirement of easy access in the event of a salvage operation.....

That the moronic action of some fool has spoiled the ability of passenger's to access that featured area, that was designed for the enjoyment of the passenger's....

I don't see why that recorder couldn't be relocated to a passenger inaccessable spot high up on the radar mast area....or perhaps hung beneath the bridge....either would satisfy the requirement of easy access in the event of a salvage operation.....

I would imagine its where it is for a specific reason.