LIVE from the Royal Princess 4/6/14-4/13/14

A1A

Hey Ken....The April 13th gang will be following you every step of the way....thanks tons for taking the time to share your experience....it will make my week so much more exciting!!!

I didn't realize your cabin was L208...I am L207...other side of the ship!!! If you get a chance, I would love to see some pics!!!

Anyway, so glad you are there...on board and off on your vacation! Have a great time!

Wishing you smooth sailing...beautiful clear skies....and millions of memories that last a lifetime! See you next Sunday!!!!;)

We were in L122. Great location. Here's a pic.

IMG_2553.jpg.3b4a1980c84eda2f3bffc3579686155a.jpg

Glad you guys made it on safely and are enjoying the beginning of your cruise. Don't forget to stop by the Ocean Terrace and try something there. The crab margarita is to die for and a must do before the end of your cruise.

So happy to find this thread. I have never cruised before ..... been wanting to cruise for 'years'!!! This is my first time .... will be on Royal Princess coming up this week on April 13 !!! SO excited I can't stand it! Cruising with my best friend who is coming all the way from South Africa so we can do the cruise together. We are leaving our teenage kids and husbands at home and doing this cruise.

Did I mention I was wild excited. Feel like a kid!

So ... will watch this thread closely - I need all the advice I can get!

:D:):p:D

So happy to find this thread. I have never cruised before ..... been wanting to cruise for 'years'!!! This is my first time .... will be on Royal Princess coming up this week on April 13 !!! SO excited I can't stand it! Cruising with my best friend who is coming all the way from South Africa so we can do the cruise together. We are leaving our teenage kids and husbands at home and doing this cruise.

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic! Sounds like you have a great trip planned.

Enjoy and post often! :D

MOMJICAB...come by the Spring Break 2014 (April 13) Roll Call and join in the fun with us...we've been chatting for over a year now.

Edited by DesertDuo

Hey...come over to the roll call...we've got a great group that is talking and sharing great info...

We have our first meet and greet at sail away at the Outrigger Bar...please come and meet us....

Sybil

OR DITTO WHAT DESERTDUO SAID...DIDN'T SEE HIS POST BEFORE WRITING MY OWN....

Edited by goldens4ever

MOMJICAB...come by the Spring Break 2014 (April 13) Roll Call and join in the fun with us...we've been chatting for over a year now.

THANKS. I just posted on that and will be reading furiously :-) So looking forward to this! I just CANNOT believe how many cruises some people have taken. Phew... i am far behind :rolleyes:

Well, last night’s dinner, as with many first night dinners was the HC. Food was very good, plenty to eat with nothing to complain about. The food was well prepared and suited us just fine for a rushed first day. Starting to get my bearings in the Bistro and Café and haven’t been duplicating serving stations as I did the first time there.

Small letdown for DW as she found there are no true penny slot machines that let you bet a penny or one line. The least amount of money you can bet in a penny slot machine is twenty cents, with most being forty cents. I guess this puts more revenue in Princess’ pockets and can understand why this may have changed. I think she will try the twenty cent penny slots tonight and I think she will enjoy herself. I made no money or lost no money last night.

We also received notification from Princess that our St. Thomas excursion which was the Virgin Gorda Excursion to the Baths had been cancelled. The paperwork we received indicated that it was for operation reasons; however the young man at the excursion desk indicated that it was because the numbers were lacking. He indicated that they require sixty people to run this excursion and have not met it all year. I guess that explains why when posting for information on the St. Thomas boards, I received interest in my posts but no responses from anyone that had actually completed this excursion.

This is our eight cruise and tonight will begin our first experience with first seating. Second seating is a bit too late for us to accomplish much after dinner and we have mixed feelings about anytime dining. So we will give it a shot and let you know what we think. We did advise the dining room that we would not make dinner yesterday, but to look for us the tonight. Even though we signed up for 6PM, they would like us there at 5:45 PM.

Hit the gym at 8:00 AM, pretty crowded, did find a couple of treadmills not in use. Wife likes the gym in front of ship as with Ruby, Emerald and Caribbean Princess, either way you get a sea view so no complaining about that! After our workout we headed to breakfast, seem like we have spent lots of time in the HC as we always do. One of the perks about being on the Lido Deck, everything we need is a quick walk and there is always fresh pizza just at the end of my hall!

Princess Cays today and there was a bit of a wait for the tenders, got to the pre-designated dining room about 9:45AM thinking we would be fine making our 11:15 paddleboard adventure, but made it with 10 minutes to spare. Seas were a bit choppy today and pretty windy for paddle boarding. DW was able to stand up most of the time, I however, was on my knees or butt most of the time. Had the typical burger, hotdog and rib lunch while on the island and it hit the spot. DW made a few purchases at some of the shops and we caught a tender back about 1:30 PM.

Got back on board and booked a kayaking adventure for St. Thomas, since we were shut out at Virgin Gorda. Went to the pool and there were available chairs front and center of the big pool. We took advantage of that as we serenaded by Tom Jones. No evidence of extreme chair hogging, but tomorrow will be the test, our first sea day!

Tonight we are going to our first Elite, Suite and Platinum happy hour to see what we have been missing all these years! Cocktail of the Evening is El Mejor Margarita ($5.00) and the Food Action Station is freshly made guacamole with tortilla chips.

Tonight MUTS will present the NCAA Basketball National Championship and comedian Steve White will perform in the Princess Theater. BTW, acupuncture today only $150.00!

Checked with scoops and according to the ice cream guy there are no milkshakes on the Royal, he did state you can get a smoothie at the bar but no shakes!

Keith - Thanks for the web cam shots!

Dawg - The pizza is wonderful Princess wide and its just a few doors down from my room, love it!

Will send Pig Girl and Dirt Girls message from mom and Mario!

Wildcat Fan- No power issues, everything is running great!

Having a great cruise on a wonderful ship!

Cheers!

Ken

Tonight MUTS will present the NCAA Basketball National Championship

Wildcat Fan- No power issues, everything is running great!

Having a great cruise on a wonderful ship!

Cheers!

Ken

Glad to hear that. Do me a favor, and root for my team! :) Have a great cruise!

Edited by kywildcatfanone

Thanks for the update. As for the Platinum/Elite lounge, you can order any of the six featured drinks any night. You are not limited to that drink that night. I often order a Brezza Marina or a Chairman of the Board no matter which drink is featured that night.

Thanks Ken:-)!!!

Sounds like you are off to a great start! That is too bad about that Virgin Gorda excursion! I know Pig Girl was so looking forward to that too! Not sure what she will do instead.

Enjoy!

Pam

Thanks for the update. As for the Platinum/Elite lounge, you can order any of the six featured drinks any night. You are not limited to that drink that night. I often order a Brezza Marina or a Chairman of the Board no matter which drink is featured that night.

Unfortunately, on the Emerald Princess you are limited.

We also received notification from Princess that our St. Thomas excursion which was the Virgin Gorda Excursion to the Baths had been cancelled. The paperwork we received indicated that it was for operation reasons; however the young man at the excursion desk indicated that it was because the numbers were lacking. He indicated that they require sixty people to run this excursion and have not met it all year. I guess that explains why when posting for information on the St. Thomas boards, I received interest in my posts but no responses from anyone that had actually completed this excursion.

I was on the Royal last month and book the Virgin Gorda excursion on the morning of Princess Cays. Shorex guy said I was #21 that booked the excursion and they need 30+ by end of day. He was hopeful that few more would book since Princess Cays was cancelled. However, not enough people booked and it was cancelled. I saw your post on the St. Thomas board, and would have given you a review if it wasn't cancelled.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

If the excursion you booked is kayaking in the mangrove lagoon, it's great. We did it a few years ago and liked it so much that we bought our own kayaks. The snorkeling in the lagoon was also very good--seeing things we had not seen before.

There is a Platinum lounge as well? If there is, I didn't know this when I cruised on the Royal in March.