Boarding Priority

tgmg00a

What if one person is platinum and the other a first timer? Do you get separated?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

princess allows the first timer to check in with the platinum person but it depends on the staff if you will be allowed to embark together as the first timer has not earned that privilige so if you wish to board together you both might have to use the ordinary lines

princess allows the first timer to check in with the platinum person but it depends on the staff if you will be allowed to embark together as the first timer has not earned that privilige so if you wish to board together you both might have to use the ordinary lines
If you are in the same cabin, you will board with the higher level person. In separate cabins it depends. In FLL we were traveling with friends who were Platinum. They were checking in about 15 minutes after us. We checked in at terminal 2 and went upstairs to see what the new dedicated Elite/Suite room looked like. When they came upstairs, we asked to show them the area before we joined them in the Platinum area. The Princess person in the room invited them to stay with us in the Elite lounge.

We have traveled with DBIL who uses a wheel chair for boarding. DW and I have been invited to embark and disembark with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

We have traveled with DBIL who uses a wheel chair for boarding. DW and I have been invited to embark and disembark with them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is what happened to us when travelling with my daughter and family. We were not in the same cabin. But Very happy with our treatment by Princess.

PROGRESSIVE CRUISE CHECK-IN INFORMATION

Embarkation for your cruise is from 12:00 pm until 3:00 pm. As many of our guests are enthusiastic to join the ship, you may experience delays and longer lines when trying to board before your scheduled time. For those passengers with flexibility, the closer you arrive to your scheduled time, the shorter your wait is likely to be. All those who arrive by 3:00 pm will be accommodated and will not miss the ship. Passengers with a Preferred Boarding Pass, Transfer, and/or part of a group may check-in anytime during embarkation. Once onboard enjoy a meal at the Horizon Court, which remains open throughout the day to serve you. We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

12:00pm - Lido Deck - Cabins on these decks begin with L 12:30pm - Caribe & Riviera Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with C & R 1:00pm - Baja & Plaza Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with B & P 1:30pm - Dolphin & Emerald Decks - Cabins on these decks begin with D & E 2:00pm - Aloha Deck - Cabins on this deck begin with A

Edited by Stevesan

Do people who are general boarding have to stand in a que the entire time and wait to board? I have back issues and although I am alright when moving or sitting I can't stand in one position for any period of time.

It depends on how early you get there. At Port Everglades this winter passengers were complaining about having to stand in line for a long time if they arrived before 11:00 or so. We overheard a woman really berating the Captain's Circle host on the Ruby last month. Her family who were not Platinum or Elite got to the port at 9a.m., and they had to stand in line for a very long time. He basically told her that this was the reason they tell you not to get there too early.

In most ports (not all but most) if you show up at 1pm or later, there will be no wait or lines of any significance. Just saying, if you don't like waiting in long lines this is the way to go. In most ports (not all, but most) if you have some kind of frequent passenger status this might not matter. If you don't have early boarding perks and want to avoid the crowd, consider the option arriving a little later.

We showed up really early for our Ruby Princess cruise last month. Fortunately there are benches outside the terminal where we could sit. We waited a couple of hours out there (playing Scrabble, people watching, and reading our books) before they opened the doors. A lot of people were standing in line by that time. Fortunately there was a separate entrance for those with "preferred" boarding passes--Platinum, Elite, and suite passengers. After going through security and checking in to get our cruise cards, they separated us again by priority. We were in one area with the other Platinum passengers. The Elites and suite people were in another area that boarded ahead of us.

BVE=Bon Voyage Event. Princess has an offering where you can sign up for a party on board the ship with people not going on the cruise. So you have have a Bon Voyage party on board prior to departure.

I find some of the abbreviations confusing at time. Who are BVE passengers?

Even though I know all the abbreviations I agree with you. It doesn't take that time to type it out.

BVE - Bon Voyage Experience , people that pay for lunch and a tour of the ship before it embarks on the cruise. If your not a passenger you get off around 3pm

And then there is the port of Ft. Lauderdale. It is a madhouse. The lines are separate, outside, but inside is total chaos.

I dearly love sailing with Princess, but Ft. Lauderdale is the most frustrating, disorganized place to embark. There was a large group of elite members in a separate line and a humongous line of other levels. Hundreds were let into the terminal before any elite passengers were allowed to leave their que. Once inside, there were no lines dedicated to any particular group. It was a mad rsh and a free-for-all. I was amazed that a port this large and so often used was so discombobulated! :eek:

If there is an Elite lounge then Elites will be the first to board. There isn't always one and it fills up. And all members of your party must be Elites to get in the lounge.

(Legalese: There may some differences to the above based on the port of embarkation.)

Looks like it may just be my son and I for our Regal cruise, I'm elite but he is Ruby so he wouldn't be allowed in the elite lounge even though we are in the same cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

Looks like it may just be my son and I for our Regal cruise, I'm elite but he is Ruby so he wouldn't be allowed in the elite lounge even though we are in the same cabin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Oy, excuse the auto correct ;)

They should let you in together. You would be on the same booking anyway right?

I forgot the full suite passengers as well. :)

When I did the BVE on the Sapphire a couple of weeks ago, it was a highly unusual boarding. I got there by 10:30am and the terminal was just about empty! However, there were a few very dressed up people checking in. Odd. :) Turned out that there was a luncheon for 200 people (not sailing), a wedding with about 75 guests taking place in the Wheelhouse at about Noon, and another large wedding party boarding for the cruise. Princess had them all checked in by just after 10:30am. I boarded at 11:15am and for the first hour, just about everyone I saw had either a suit or a dress on. The only people not dressed up were the B2B's. :) Totally strange, but nice.

I had a strange boarding on the Sapphire last week too. I was literally the first person to walk on the ship out of the terminal. There were no BVEs, the in-transits must've already been onboard, and no weddings. Weird.

In San Francisco I have priority boarding but that only gives me a special line for check-in but after that I'm in a line with everyone else. No priority line for boarding.

Tom:)

We boarded this past January in SFO and there was a special waiting area for elite, suite & platinum cruisers. After check-in, we were directed to the left and other cruisers were directed to the right.

ok... my question..Why does it matter when one boards?... everyone with ticket get onboard. The cabin rooms have already been decided when they were purchased. I feel sure there is enough food for all to have something to eat. So why the rush???

Just saying....

[quote name='Sox Fan Cruiser']I defer to Pam. She thought of everyone![/QUOTE]

Agree. In transit, then wedding, then BVE.

I've been BVE and "general" - never anything more spiffy but give me time... ;)

I tend to trust Pam's information. I hope to meet her on board someday. :D

[quote name='nanabananna']ok... my question..Why does it matter when one boards?... everyone with ticket get onboard. The cabin rooms have already been decided when they were purchased. I feel sure there is enough food for all to have something to eat. So why the rush???

Just saying....[/quote]

Lunch in the DR! :D

[quote name='nanabananna']ok... my question..Why does it matter when one boards?... everyone with ticket get onboard. The cabin rooms have already been decided when they were purchased. I feel sure there is enough food for all to have something to eat. So why the rush???

Just saying....[/quote]

Not that it matters to me, but for example, I have seen many posts from people who missed getting into the sanctuary during the entire cruise because it was sold out when they reached the reseration desk

[quote name='nanabananna']ok... my question..Why does it matter when one boards?... everyone with ticket get onboard. The cabin rooms have already been decided when they were purchased. I feel sure there is enough food for all to have something to eat. So why the rush???[/quote]Many reasons. One is that people are in hotels nearby and have to check out by 11am or so. No where for them to go. Another is people wanting to book the Sanctuary, book a particular night in a specialty restaurant, or just plain can't wait to start their cruise. Princess allows you to go directly to your cabin upon boarding so you're not funneled to the Lido deck to sit and wait for hours before you can take your carry-on to your cabin, so as soon as you board, your cruise experience begins. If I'm in a strange city, I like to board early; if I'm driving to the port, I'll board later; if I plan to book the Sanctuary and I'm driving to the port, I'll get there early. It really all depends and is a matter of personal preference.

Just saying....[/QUOTE]

Lots of reasons:

1) I like to begin my vacation ASAP....I want to get past all the check in and stuff, get on board and start relaxing..
2) Often, I've either just flown in from somewhere and the plane got there early (I don't control the airline schedules) or I've stayed overnight in a hotel and had to check out of the hotel...in either event, I don't want that dead time waiting to board.
3) To eat lunch. If I board at 3 pm and I'm eating dinner at 6, it makes little sense to head to a buffet mid-afternoon...I may not want to have to find a restaurant near the port (I may not even have transportation) and pay for lunch when I've already paid for a cruise that includes lunch on embarkation day
4) Most cruise terminals are NOT hospitable places...loud, busy, hard, uncomfortable seats...and I'm schlepping my carry-on stuff around...the less time spent there and more time spent on the ship the better...

[quote name='Colo Cruiser']Lunch in the DR! :D[/QUOTE]

Yep! Makes you feel as though the cruise has really begun. More reasons to board earlier rather than later: standing in line, freezing/boiling in the terminal building, listening to someone-we -won't-name complaining about how long it's taking. ;)

[quote name='Penney Harley']I like to board early so I can get the card stamped with locations(scavenger hunt) & turn in for prizes at Sail away! Also have time to eat, and get my drink & relax!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote]

That sounds fun...I WANT TO DO IT.