Newark Airport & Cape Liberty Advisories – 2014

138east

UPDATES WILL BE ON THE EAST COAST DEPARTURES FORUM

Four reconstruction events will affect Newark Airport and transportation routes to Cape Liberty in 2014 and beyond.

The two events with major effects are scheduled to start in April and May. The exact effects of these events are not yet known.

If you're sailing from Cape Liberty or flying to Newark Airport, you should check back for updates as more info becomes available.

Newark Airport - Major

Starting May 1, 2014, the Airtrain at Newark Airport is scheduled to be closed for 75 days (approximately July 15). This will affect:

1) Transportation between terminals

2) Newark Airport train station will be closed and trains will not stop there

3) Hotel and car rental shuttle pickup points will change

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2023788

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...ing_may_1.html

Cape Liberty - Major

Starting April, 12, 2014, the Pulaski Skyway (Routes 1 & 9 Eastbound to NYC- Holland Tunnel) will be closed for two years. Traffic patterns will change drastically and are expected to affect traffic on the NJ Turnpike Extension (I78), which is a major access route to Cape Liberty from Exit 14A.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2020367

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._april_12.html

Weekend Path Closure – World Trade Center Service - Minor

Weekend Path service between Exchange Place and World Trade Center will be suspended for the rest of 2014 and possibly into 2015. This does not affect Cape Liberty directly. However, folks planning to stay in the Newark area precruise and take Path to the World Trade Center on a Saturday or Sunday will be affected.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/path-forward.html

Bayonne Bridge Reconstruction - Minor

There is a major reconstruction project on the Bayonne Bridge. Currently, the closures are midnight to 8 am, but the bridge is scheduled to be closed 8 weekends in 2014. The dates of these weekends has not yet been published.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/inde...ces_eight.html

Edited by 138east

Wow--this sounds like a nightmare. :confused:

For those who live in the area you may know the alternates. Those of us who live farther away will have to reevaluate whether we want to use this port. We have been looking at Quantum of the Seas itineraries. Maybe we will wait.

Don't discount the Quantum because of this. Plan for it. Coming from the south you have other options depending on the day of the week. If the Bayonne Bridge is open (and it likely will be), you can get off the turnpike at exit 10 and go across the Outerbridge Crossing and route 440 though Staten Island to Cape Liberty. If you're going to stay at a hotel precruise, consider the Edison area so you can use Outerbridge Crossing.

If you use the Turnpike Extension, don't cut it close. Weekends would be better than weekdays.

My understanding is that even when the Bayonne Bridge is open there is only one lane open in each direction.

The Bayonne Bridge is rarely crowded or is the wait very long. Mostly truck traffic right now other than the small amount of commuters going into Staten Island or the South side of Brooklyn. One big reason my guys use the Bayonne instead of trying to hassle the GWB even if it is more miles and fight the traffic on the BQE if they have to go into Queens or Long Island City.

Will that change with all the construction going on? Only time will tell. And 1 & 9 is a MESS. The additional car traffic is royally screwing up the truck traffic. And this morning, they are having some kind of garage sale (STORAGE WARS like) at the U Haul dealer right at the entrance to the Holland (just north of where you come out of the tunnel on the East side of 1 & 9).

Cars out in the street, cops are there trying to direct traffic and you have long, long lines of trucks whose drivers are starting to loose patience rapidly. My NYC office is having to reschedule appts like crazy this morning. We have 4 pickups at a large booze place whose main warehouse is just North and West of the entrance to the Holland. Two trucks left Bayonne port warehouses about 10:30-11AM and they still haven't made it to County Rd where they need to get off 1 & 9. I'm glad I'm not having to listen to all the cussing. Just get to video conference with a bunch of dummies and get bored.

I drive up to Bayonne via the Bayonne Bridge all the time. I lived there for over 50 years and now go to visit often. I've never seen the Bayonne Bridge backed up in all those years. I can happen if there is an accident, but that can happen anywhere. The Outerbridge is another story, especially during the summer.

When is your sail date from Cape Liberty? Are you approaching Springhill Suites from the north or south? Your question really can't be answered at this time since the closure is not in effect yet.

I come from Long Island and I'm going to and from the port on a Sunday. If the bridge is closed on either week-end, how would I be able to get to or from Long Island?

You could go via lower Manhattan and take the Holland Tunnel and then the NJ Turnpike extension to exit 14A or you could go via Staten Island and take the Goethals Bridge (instead of the Bayonne Bridge) to the northbound NJ Turnpike to exit 14A. If you're familiar with the route through Staten Island because you were originally planning to take the Bayonne Bridge, then rather than going through Manhattan, I'd recommend the Goethals Bridge route.

From the exit 14A toll plaza follow these directions put together by poster 138east:

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Edited by njhorseman

Hi

We leave from Cape Liberty on may 11th and will stay at the Hilton Penn Station the night before.

Will that have any impact to go from the hotel to the ship?

Also, Saterday, i want to visit NY and was going to take the path from Penn Station to WTC.... I saw it is close.... Any alternative you might think ?

Thanks in advance

Hi

We leave from Cape Liberty on may 11th and will stay at the Hilton Penn Station the night before.

Will that have any impact to go from the hotel to the ship?

Also, Saterday, i want to visit NY and was going to take the path from Penn Station to WTC.... I saw it is close.... Any alternative you might think ?

Thanks in advance

If you're flying, you should be aware that Airtrain will be shut down at Newark Airport.

Sunday morning is likely to be the easiest and best time to get to Cape Liberty from Newark. You could have some traffic, but really no problem as long as you don't cut your time close to the drop dead checkin time.

Path from Newark Penn Station to WTC is not currently available on Sat and Sun. The best alternative is to take NJ Transit from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station and take the 8th Ave subway 'E' train downtown to World Trade Center. NJ Transit arrives on the 8th Ave side of NY Penn Station and you can easily access the 8th Ave subway.

If you're flying, you should be aware that Airtrain will be shut down at Newark Airport.

Sunday morning is likely to be the easiest and best time to get to Cape Liberty from Newark. You could have some traffic, but really no problem as long as you don't cut your time close to the drop dead checkin time.

Path from Newark Penn Station to WTC is not currently available on Sat and Sun. The best alternative is to take NJ Transit from Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station and take the 8th Ave subway 'E' train downtown to World Trade Center. NJ Transit arrives on the 8th Ave side of NY Penn Station and you can easily access the 8th Ave subway.

Thank you very very much for the information.

And no, i'm not taking the plane... I come by car from the "frozen country"

Edited by Casanova02

When is your sail date from Cape Liberty? Are you approaching Springhill Suites from the north or south? Your question really can't be answered at this time since the closure is not in effect yet.

We will ce coming from the Bronx, visiting our son's family. We will be staying at Springhill Suites on Friday, April 18th.

thanks

Are you coming across the GW Bridge? If so, you should be OK. The issue really will be trying to go eastbound from the turnpike towards the Holland Tunnel into NYC.

Please print out the written directions for Springhill Suites. This hotel shares a property with the Marriott Courtyard and the Fairfield Inn and there is only one entrance for all three hotels from the highway. When you pull off the exit you make a left in front of the Courtyard and then a right to go to the back of the property and another right to go along the back of the property to Springhill.

A few minutes ago (a time when cruisers would be starting to arrive at Cape Liberty) I checked the NJ Turnpike traffic cams at Exit 14 and on the Turnpike extension heading toward 14A.

Traffic was light and moving freely, as it normally is on Sunday morning. You would never know the Pulasky Skyway was closed.

I really don't think weekend travel to Cape Liberty is going to be significantly impacted by the Skyway closure. There just isn't that much traffic in the area on a typical Saturday or Sunday morning. I'd be concerned about weekday rush hour traffic (I'll try to remember to check the cams in the next few days), but outside of those times I'd suggest we reassure people that there a serious traffic problem is unlikely, rather than making them fearful of driving to Cape Liberty.

Are you coming across the GW Bridge? If so, you should be OK. The issue really will be trying to go eastbound from the turnpike towards the Holland Tunnel into NYC.

Please print out the written directions for Springhill Suites. This hotel shares a property with the Marriott Courtyard and the Fairfield Inn and there is only one entrance for all three hotels from the highway. When you pull off the exit you make a left in front of the Courtyard and then a right to go to the back of the property and another right to go along the back of the property to Springhill.

Thanks. We are going over the GW.

Looks good.