Changing room after final payment

clueless2

• 1 month later...

Will they let you change your cabin to a better category after final payment? Lets say we booked an inside, but after final payment wanted to move up to a balcony. Would we be able to pay the difference and upgrade?

Will they let you change your cabin to a better category after final payment? Lets say we booked an inside, but after final payment wanted to move up to a balcony. Would we be able to pay the difference and upgrade?

Of course if you pay the $$$ difference.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Of course if you pay the $$$ difference.

But as changing cabin categories after final payment constitutes a cancellation and rebooking the "$$$ difference" will have to include the cancellation penalty as well.

But as changing cabin categories after final payment constitutes a cancellation and rebooking the "$$$ difference" will have to include the cancellation penalty as well.

Any idea what the cancellation penalty is? Or does it vary by booking?

Any idea what the cancellation penalty is? Or does it vary by booking?

Based on days prior to departure:

74-57 days--deposit amount

56-29 days--50% of total charges

28-15 days--75% of total charges

within 14 days--100%

Any promotional rate you see after final payment date will almost always be for

"New Bookings Only" which is why cancellation and rebooking is the only way to get that price.

Based on days prior to departure:

74-57 days--deposit amount

56-29 days--50% of total charges

28-15 days--75% of total charges

within 14 days--100%

Any promotional rate you see after final payment date will almost always be for

"New Bookings Only" which is why cancellation and rebooking is the only way to get that price.

Thanks for the info! Guess we better know what we want before final payment!:rolleyes:

Edited by 2ferfun

Thats not true, we have done it on several occasions.

Who said anything about a promotional rate??? 2ferfun didn't.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Only if trying to book under a new promotion or with a deal that is for new bookings only.

No cancellation fee required if paying for an upgrade.

But the cost of a paid upgrade might not be based on current sales pricing.

Hi There

We have had offers from Princess to upgrade

Upgrade was at a very silly Price when l called the price of the new cabin was the price in place when l made my original booking

I wrote to Princess to ask why they even made these offers as no one would every take them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the clarifications! So if we want to upgrade later we will be able to, but it might not be at the flash sale price going on at the time. Its good to know that! We have booked interior for next summer, but if we are able to save the money we are going to opt for a balcony. Thanks for all the info!:)

If you want to pay the upcharge.... you can change cabins up to and including when you get on the ship.......ill say it......if you don't know the correct answer say so or at least say you're not sure. ......ITS OK.......giving outrageous answers not only scares people. ...it hurts many who don't get the best possible answers.......

BLAST ME IF YOU WANT.......its how I feel........you have a god given right to spend your money.....and be sure Princess will take it :) Sometimes its good to see if you can get a FREE upgrade.

This year, we booked a balcony for three people and decided after final payment that we wanted to change to a mini suite. In explanation, my husband and I had always traveled alone. This trip, we are taking our 15 year old grandson and did not have any experience with three people to a room. We did not have to pay a cancellation fee, but we lost the promotion that we booked under. We lost $100 OBC, a formal portrait and frame and a bottle of wine in addition to paying the cost of upgrading the category of our stateroom. I'm disappointed that we had to "cancel" our booking and rebook. We're platinum and I guess we were hoping that meant something but I guess rules are rules. If someone knows why when you want to upgrade why you have to cancel and rebook, I'd love an explanation.

Hi There

We have had offers from Princess to upgrade

Upgrade was at a very silly Price when l called the price of the new cabin was the price in place when l made my original booking

I wrote to Princess to ask why they even made these offers as no one would every take them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

And what was their answer?

If you want to pay the upcharge.... you can change cabins up to and including when you get on the ship.......ill say it......if you don't know the correct answer say so or at least say you're not sure. ......ITS OK.......giving outrageous answers not only scares people. ...it hurts many who don't get the best possible answers.......

BLAST ME IF YOU WANT.......its how I feel........you have a god given right to spend your money.....and be sure Princess will take it :) Sometimes its good to see if you can get a FREE upgrade.

What?????

You're also wrong. You cannot get an upgrade when you get to the pier... if you want to insult people, at least make sure you're correct!

Where do people dream up things like this? :confused:

This one is so far in left field it went out of bounds on the right :banghead:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

This year, we booked a balcony for three people and decided after final payment that we wanted to change to a mini suite. In explanation, my husband and I had always traveled alone. This trip, we are taking our 15 year old grandson and did not have any experience with three people to a room. We did not have to pay a cancellation fee, but we lost the promotion that we booked under. We lost $100 OBC, a formal portrait and frame and a bottle of wine in addition to paying the cost of upgrading the category of our stateroom. I'm disappointed that we had to "cancel" our booking and rebook. We're platinum and I guess we were hoping that meant something but I guess rules are rules. If someone knows why when you want to upgrade why you have to cancel and rebook, I'd love an explanation.

You were past final payment but weren't charged a cancellation fee, so it wasn't considered a cancellation. You refared from the original promotion (3 for free, it looks like) to whatever the current promotion being offered in your new category was. I imagine that the 3 for free promotion was long expired at that point.

The fare and the "perks" are not separate entities -- they're all covered by the promotion code (except for group amenities, but that's a different discussion!). When you move to a different category (or refare to a lower rate without changing category) it's like making a new booking, with whatever promo is offered at that time.

What?????

You're also wrong. You cannot get an upgrade when you get to the pier... if you want to insult people, at least make sure you're correct!

You CAN walk to the desk and ask if yoy can be upgraded......happens all the time......every ship is no full.if you feel insulted.....you get your answers correct.......Even Princess will tell you you can get an FREE UPGRADE all the way to sailing time.....then its up to the pursuers desk.......are you an Elite member???

If someone knows why when you want to upgrade why you have to cancel and rebook, I'd love an explanation.

Look at it from the cruise line's perspective: you booked "room A" months ago, so they were able to remove that from bookable inventory, and focused their marketing efforts on the bookable inventory. They bought ad time, they printed magazines, they ran print ads, they sent out flyers, they bought email servers and software so they could send out sales emails, etc., all trying to sell the remaining bookable inventory.

Now, with just weeks to go, you're asking to switch to a room they've spent good money trying to fill, only to leave empty a room they haven't been trying to fill all this time. Odds are you're asking to move up in category, so that lower-category room they would then have to fill gives them less margin on which to make a profit, so in turn they want to manage their costs and fees through rules.

Further, they want to plan their ship assignments 2-4 years out, so they want those early bookings to be able to gauge demand. If they make it too convenient for people to book at the last minute, they run the risk of either having too little capacity in a market (missing out on revenue/profit opportunities) or too much capacity (burning fuel to move a larger hotel from port to port when a smaller hotel would have been fine, plus excess food provisions, etc.). It's the same as airlines: they really want to put the right size plane on each flight, so the early bookings allow them to plan while the last-minute bookings cost more since they have to gamble/manage capacity in hopes that they'll sell.

You CAN walk to the desk and ask if yoy can be upgraded......happens all the time......every ship is no full.if you feel insulted.....you get your answers correct.......Even Princess will tell you you can get an FREE UPGRADE all the way to sailing time.....then its up to the pursuers desk.......are you an Elite member???

First, what does anything have to do with the PP being Elite or not? I love people that blankly insult other people and then when they are called on their uninformed "I know everything" answer continue to belittle them. We really don't feel personally insulted. The comment was YOU were INSULTING. It goes to your comment - not the receiver. Most of us know from your comments that you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Sometimes the more people say, the less intelligent they look. Learn to stop.

Oh, and the "free upgrade" that would be like winning the lottery. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with asking or paying for an upgrade. The Purser's Desk always has a sign out that says "sailing full" so no upgrades are available. I don't have to be Elite to read a sign, if that's what you are asking.