Coldwater Creek

iheartbda

Their brand changed a lot through the years. I was thinking about it last night and realized that I first purchased something from a Coldwater Creek catalog back in 1998 to wear on a 10-day trip to Rome. I wanted something that would travel well, be warm (I was going in late February) and still look somewhat fashionable. The item was a long-ish black and gray tweed jacket that worked as a top layer over most everything I took with me (including a lovely pink silk and wool twinset that I wish I still had....)

I ended up wearing it a lot on the trip, as the weather was milder than expected and most days I didn't need a heavier coat. I felt well-dressed (better than wearing a fleece jacket, anyway) and it was a great purchase.

As I recall, the Coldwater Creek pricing was a lot higher back in those days, and sales were rare. I also think they didn't have many retail outlets back then.

Unfortunately, I haven't been that happy with the few purchases I've made from them recently and most had to be returned due to fit issues.

Edited by cruisemom42

Magandab, you absolutely rock that "frumpy" dress! It looks great on you! Very figure flattering!

Even some of the brands mentioned earlier as "non-frumpy" do nothing for me. I think we are all different shapes and different sizes and so it only makes sense that it takes different cuts to flatter our own unique bodies. I am tall and lean so when I try on many misses sizes (specifically bottoms), they are cut too wide in the hips for me. Does that make me inferior or superior to anyone else? No. It just makes me different. And that’s okay. That’s why there are so many different options out there. We can all find something that works well for us without having to resort to being tacky or judgmental when someone else has a different opinion of a clothing brand.

Magandab, you absolutely rock that "frumpy" dress! It looks great on you! Very figure flattering!

Even some of the brands mentioned earlier as "non-frumpy" do nothing for me. I think we are all different shapes and different sizes and so it only makes sense that it takes different cuts to flatter our own unique bodies. I am tall and lean so when I try on many misses sizes (specifically bottoms), they are cut too wide in the hips for me. Does that make me inferior or superior to anyone else? No. It just makes me different. And that’s okay. That’s why there are so many different options out there. We can all find something that works well for us without having to resort to being tacky or judgmental when someone else has a different opinion of a clothing brand.

Great post:D:):D.....

We are so totally opposite (in body type).....I am short and definitely

not lean.....I mentioned it earlier, CC only has one style of pants that

fit me. Unfortunetly, even some of them seem to be cut differently,

color to color.....:eek:

First, thanks so much for the compliment. I wasn't expecting much from it, other than a cute summer maxi, but when I put it on, and it fit like it was made for me, I said "Wow"!

Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments about my "frumpy" dress. It was a joke, just in case you missed that.

As for the rest, I totally agree. I might not like the clothes from a particular company or store, but I would never refer to them in derogatory terms, especially when someone has just told me how much they like those clothes. Like this dress, it's nothing special looking on its own, but works when it is on the body it fits, on the person who loves it, and when all the planets align.

Many have mentioned Talbots as their go-to brand. I've never ever found anything I like there. I can remember, years ago, trying on some of their clothing and it was all cut too skimpy for me. But, then again, I weighed quite a bit more. So, just for the exercise of it, I went to their website and looked at their dresses. Absolutely NOTHING popped out at me as something I'd want to own. There is nothing wrong with any of it, it just doesn't float my boat.

As far as CC, for every item I like well enough to look at more closely, to read up on more thoroughly, there are probably three more that make me say "Yuck, what were they thinking?" But, at any store, anywhere, that's pretty good odds.

Well said, kellanne! :)

KK

Great post ! While I occasionally buy from Talbots JJill is my go to shop .

First, thanks so much for the compliment. I wasn't expecting much from it, other than a cute summer maxi, but when I put it on, and it fit like it was made for me, I said "Wow"!

Thanks to everyone for the lovely comments about my "frumpy" dress. It was a joke, just in case you missed that.

Oh you ole frump de bump, you. NOT!!!:D

As for the rest, I totally agree. I might not like the clothes from a particular company or store, but I would never refer to them in derogatory terms, especially when someone has just told me how much they like those clothes. Like this dress, it's nothing special looking on its own, but works when it is on the body it fits, on the person who loves it, and when all the planets align.

Many have mentioned Talbots as their go-to brand. I've never ever found anything I like there. I can remember, years ago, trying on some of their clothing and it was all cut too skimpy for me. But, then again, I weighed quite a bit more. So, just for the exercise of it, I went to their website and looked at their dresses. Absolutely NOTHING popped out at me as something I'd want to own. There is nothing wrong with any of it, it just doesn't float my boat.

As far as CC, for every item I like well enough to look at more closely, to read up on more thoroughly, there are probably three more that make me say "Yuck, what were they thinking?" But, at any store, anywhere, that's pretty good odds.

Yes, as I said previously, I just haven't found anything at Coldwater Creek but I would never bad mouth it. Since I didn't find anything in the store, I hesitate to buy a brand online I haven't tried on.

Seems like people who bust on something think that by doing so makes their favorite better. People do it all the time when discussing different cruise lines.

Edited by iheartbda

I was bummed when I got the email. The clothes aren't my style but I could always find gifts for my mom. She loves to get tops for Christmas/birthday but she's really picky. I don't know where I will shop for her now! :(

I did think their stuff was over-priced so I had to wait till there was a sale.

I was bummed when I got the email. The clothes aren't my style but I could always find gifts for my mom. She loves to get tops for Christmas/birthday but she's really picky. I don't know where I will shop for her now! :(

I totally agree with this. I doubt I've ever paid full price there; their regular prices are way too high for their stuff. But, they have so much in clearance and have X% off the sale price sales, and free shipping so often, that I can build a nice wardrobe there. The Whisper Flanner trousers I have bought there are so well fitting, and feel so good on that I will have them in five colors and that will just about cover all the slacks I need in my work wardrobe. And I hope to retire before they wear out!

My sister and I have had this same discussion. We will probably spend more time shopping in Chicos and Dillards when Coldwater Creek closes. Chicos prices have been getting higher and higher each season though. Their Back Label line of clothing is out of my preferred limit for price. I think J Jill clothing is pretty, but I just can't seem to find anything that is proportioned right for me in their store or catalog.

Now now, you need to quote my whole comment - I said cut too skimpy FOR ME. :D

I used to shop at Talbots. One of their stores that was very near

me closed a while back. Now I live near another one but haven't been

in lately. This is my opinion..as many think CC is overpriced.....many

of Talbots items are that way too....like I said, just my opinion.;)

I used to shop at Talbots. One of their stores that was very near

me closed a while back. Now I live near another one but haven't been

in lately. This is my opinion..as many think CC is overpriced.....many

of Talbots items are that way too....like I said, just my opinion.;)

I was very lucky -- until recently I had a Talbots Clearance Center located a few blocks from where I work. I picked up a lot of the otherwise expensive pants (Italian fine wool, very lightweight and durable) I like for work at prices ranging from $19.99 to $29.99! And when that clearance store closed earlier this year, I got as many as I could get my hands on my size for about 1/3 of that price. ;)

I'm not a big fan of Talbots when they get too preppy (which in my opinion they are this year), but I have found that their classic work clothes are very good quality and last for years if cared for properly. I have pants that are at least 5-6 years old and still in good shape. Often the only reason I will occasionally get rid of a pair is when that style is no longer in...

Just saying' - and, CC is frumpy for me… :p;) Except for some of the shirts…

To each her own.

Fair enough. And the issue wasn't with you anyway! And, of course, CC being frumpy or not is about to become moot!

Fair enough. And the issue wasn't with you anyway! And, of course, CC being frumpy or not is about to become moot!

True.

I still see no reason to bad mouth another person's choice. Like the old saying, "if you have nothing good to say........" I once mentioned Lilly Pulitzer and someone jumped in to say they wouldn't be caught dead in LP. After seeing pictures of what she wore, I could easily have said the same thing but there's just no point in criticizing someone else's choice by being snarky.

True.

I still see no reason to bad mouth another person's choice. Like the old saying, "if you have nothing good to say........" I once mentioned Lilly Pulitzer and someone jumped in to say they wouldn't be caught dead in LP. After seeing pictures of what she wore, I could easily have said the same thing but there's just no point in criticizing someone else's choice by being snarky.

I like a lot of Lilly Pulitzer's clothes, especially the dresses, but most of them are cut too darn short for anyone over 30 or so. If they were 3" longer I'd own at least a few. :)

Just saying' - and, CC is frumpy for me… :p;) Except for some of the shirts…

To each her own.

I think every store and line of clothing has it's frumpy pieces. I proclaimed that Talbots is my "go to "store, yet if I were to judge it by it's catalog, I probably wouldn't shop there. A lot of that stuff looks frumpy. A good shopper knows how to weed out the stuff that doesn't work.

I don't think the Coldwater executives meant for that merchandise to be considered frumpy. I think they thought they were appealing to a customer who wanted to look "different". Definitely not classic. The problem is, there weren't enough people who liked that look to sustain them.

We run the gamut here from the 20's to the 70's. I don't think any of us can judge or put a label on the type of clothing a store carries. Each age group has it's own "look".

I like a lot of Lilly Pulitzer's clothes, especially the dresses, but most of them are cut too darn short for anyone over 30 or so. If they were 3" longer I'd own at least a few. :)

They are marketing to a different demographic now, college age. Last cruise was on the edge of spring break so there were a number of college young ladies all carrying their LP tote bags. Years and YEARS ago, my MIL was wearing Lilly.

Yes, the dresses have gotten shorter but I just read that the mini and micro mini are coming back.:eek:

I will not admit to how much Lilly I have.:o:D

I think every store and line of clothing has it's frumpy pieces. I proclaimed that Talbots is my "go to "store, yet if I were to judge it by it's catalog, I probably wouldn't shop there. A lot of that stuff looks frumpy. A good shopper knows how to weed out the stuff that doesn't work.

I don't think the Coldwater executives meant for that merchandise to be considered frumpy. I think they thought they were appealing to a customer who wanted to look "different". Definitely not classic. The problem is, there weren't enough people who liked that look to sustain them.

We run the gamut here from the 20's to the 70's. I don't think any of us can judge or put a label on the type of clothing a store carries. Each age group has it's own "look".

I didn't realize my age group had it's own "look." Honestly, I'd be interested in what stores/look you think goes with 30s,40s,50s,60s. I think I'm shopping in an inappropriate area ;)

I did say that most things looked frumpy on me to me (except shirts). And, I definitely don't go in for those patterned sweaters they always carried because they always reminded me of what my schoolteacher wore… I wasn't calling out anyone. I've had women on this group 'dis my choices of some pants because they were "not appropriate" in their opinion (like wearing jeans on a flight or yoga pants going to the store). We already agreed on "to each his own" and we moved on. At least some of us did...

I didn't realize my age group had it's own "look." Honestly, I'd be interested in what stores/look you think goes with 30s,40s,50s,60s. I think I'm shopping in an inappropriate area ;)

I did say that most things looked frumpy on me to me (except shirts). And, I definitely don't go in for those patterned sweaters they always carried because they always reminded me of what my schoolteacher wore… I wasn't calling out anyone. I've had women on this group 'dis my choices of some pants because they were "not appropriate" in their opinion (like wearing jeans on a flight or yoga pants going to the store). We already agreed on "to each his own" and we moved on. At least some of us did...

You totally misunderstood my intent. I know people moved on with the "frumpy" stuff. I wasn't referring to you at all. Seriously. I just wanted to say that ALL stores carry frumpy items---including my favorite store.

I do take offense with the teacher comment (no, not really---I know what people say about teacher's dress) I was a pretty sharp teacher. Yes...very sharp. I enjoyed dressing up, but I ruined my feet in heels.

As a "fairly hip" (do they still use that word???) 60+, I am not going to seriously shop at H&M, Loft, and the one from England....my brain is still asleep. Those are just a few examples. If I were 20 or 30, I probably would stay out of Talbots!! When I was teaching, I shopped Ann Taylor, but I have no need for it now.

I am sorry that you thought I was making a big deal of this. I only wanted to point out that we shop at different stores depending on our age. Here is another example----I really like INC at Macy's. That is probably pushing it at my age! We evolve in dress, just like our choice of cruiselines, as we age. That is all I meant.

Linda M, I agree with you. I walk every day in malls for exercise in air conditioning. Over the years I have really come to know stores and who they appeal to. If you go in a Coldwater Creek, Talbot's, Brooks Brothers or a Chicos you will almost never see a young twenty or thirty-something in those stores unless they are with their mothers...at least in South Florida where I live.

If you go in Limited, Banana Republic, Express, Loft, you will seldom see older women. There are exceptions of course. I go in looking for clothes my daughter-in-law might like. I also do like their accessories. Forever 21, H&M, Abercrombie, American Eagle appeal to even younger buyers.

What age group wears Alfred Dunner? It isn't most twenty year olds, for sure. What age group wears Boston Proper? I can't wear most of their clothes. I am seventy.

I live in a section of the country with a very high proportion of very senior women. Many remain very fashionable and "unfrumpy" right into their 90s, but

they do have a different style than twenty and thirty-somethings, even forty-somethings.

I don't know if you can exactly go decade by decade for style differences, but More Magazine, a magazine NOT dedicated to 20s and 30s, often has style advice by decade for its readers. There are subtle changes in fashion choices. You can be fashionable at every age, but women in their seventies and older do tend to make different choices than much junior women and shop in different stores to find their fit and look.