Veranda Guarantee option

Dmgmd50

Has anyone done the veranda guarantee option on Seabourn where your cabin is not assigned until a few days before the sailing? How did it work out for you? Did you get the least desire able veranda suite on the ship? I don ' think I am worried too much about location, forward or back since I see some of the best suites are in front. What should I be concerned about?

We would be sailing on the Quest.

On our last two cruises with Seabourn we have opted for the guarantee option and both times we were upgraded.

I am sure you will have nothing to worry about, in fact one of the times we were upgraded from an ocean view cabin to a balcony.

Enjoy your cruise, I am sure you will.

Edited by LEESRE

I'm a newbie to Seabourne and we opted for a guaranteed veranda VI category without the cabin assignment when I booked 2 months ago. The price for our cruise was $5,999 pp. We are approaching our 90 day full payment due day, and I went on line and saw that the price had dropped to $3999. This was for OB category. My TA was able to see that the lower categories were already full, so we are going to be in the V1 category (unless they are cancellations). But for the savings of $4,000, I'm taking the gamble and going for the OB guaranteed veranda. Ask your TA to see how many of the lower suites are booked up and their opinion of whether you will be upgraded.

It will be fine. As you will see elsewhere there are those who need to know exactly where their stateroom will be and those who are more relaxed about the whole thing.

As a family of mum, dad and two daughters we have booked guarantee and have also specified staterooms. The last two cruises we specified adjacent cabins and that was nice but this year, having a last trip on the Spirit, we have taken guarantee bookings as the saving was just too tempting to pass up and, of course, nothing is very far away on the smaller ship.

I'm in the camp that prefers to know exactly what suite I'll be living in during my cruise, but we've done some cruises where taking a Guarantee was the only available option if we wanted to take that particular cruise.

None of the suites allocated were what most would consider to be undesirable.

For example, on one occasion we booked a V1 guarantee and were allocated a V6 suite on deck 8, so an upgrade. Another time we booked a V5 guarantee and were allocated deck 6, exactly what we paid for.

Edited by Ravenscroft

I am a bit confused - my impression was that you booked either a suite guarantee or a verandah guarantee, one fixed price for each? If we could choose which minimum grade of verandah (cheaper than allocated suite) we might do this.

I am a bit confused - my impression was that you booked either a suite guarantee or a verandah guarantee, one fixed price for each? If we could choose which minimum grade of verandah (cheaper than allocated suite) we might do this.

Our experience is that it depends on the cruise and what's already been sold. When we booked fairly last minute for the Baltic cruise last year, we booked a 'Verandah Guarantee'. That was a risk to me being the cautious type, as we could have been allocated a V1 on deck 5, I think those are the ones that have the half metal balcony. That time we were allocated a V6 on deck 8.

On the world cruise segment recently, we were able to book a 'V5 Guarantee'. So whilst awaiting allocation we only had to worry about getting an interconnecting suite - which we had to move to on our first SB cruise and disliked. In the end we got a lovely location on Deck 6 and have now decided that's our preferred deck on the big sisters, having always booked Deck 7 V6 previously.

From what I've gleaned reading here, the way guarantee suites are sold can differ depending what country you are booking in, as well as what SB still has left to allocate.

Edited by Ravenscroft

Our experience is that it depends on the cruise and what's already been sold. When we booked fairly last minute for the Baltic cruise last year, we booked a 'Verandah Guarantee'. That was a risk to me being the cautious type, as we could have been allocated a V1 on deck 5, I think those are the ones that have the half metal balcony. That time we were allocated a V6 on deck 8.

On the world cruise segment recently, we were able to book a 'V5 Guarantee'. So whilst awaiting allocation we only had to worry about getting an interconnecting suite - which we had to move to on our first SB cruise and disliked. In the end we got a lovely location on Deck 6 and have now decided that's our preferred deck on the big sisters, having always booked Deck 7 V6 previously.

From what I've gleaned reading here, the way guarantee suites are sold can differ depending what country you are booking in, as well as what SB still has left to allocate.

Is the half metal balcony a really bad thing? Is the view very obstructed?

Also at the time of assigning the guaranteed suites, do there tend to be the cheaper verandas left to be assigned or are the costlier cabins still available?

Is the half metal balcony a really bad thing? Is the view very obstructed?

Also at the time of assigning the guaranteed suites, do there tend to be the cheaper verandas left to be assigned or are the costlier cabins still available?

Hello Dmgmd50.

The half metal balcony is an issue for me, because we spend a lot of time on the verandah. We frequently have breakfast and lunch out there. I'm a petite lady and if I'm sitting back comfortably in the balcony chairs, I can't actually see over the rail, so I appreciate the glass between the lower rails as I can see through it. Otherwise my only view would be of the sky, and when I'm on a cruise I want to see the water.

This type of balcony probably isn't an issue for the vast majority of passengers.

There's an interesting thread about them here, also has some pictures

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=988089&highlight=odyssey+balconies&page=2

Hello Dmgmd50.

The half metal balcony is an issue for me, because we spend a lot of time on the verandah. We frequently have breakfast and lunch out there. I'm a petite lady and if I'm sitting back comfortably in the balcony chairs, I can't actually see over the rail, so I appreciate the glass between the lower rails as I can see through it. Otherwise my only view would be of the sky, and when I'm on a cruise I want to see the water.

This type of balcony probably isn't an issue for the vast majority of passengers.

There's an interesting thread about them here, also has some pictures

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=988089&highlight=odyssey+balconies&page=2

Thanks. I saw the picture and do not feel it will be a problem for me. Usually when I am lying on my bed, I am not looking out at the ocean. And since we are not taking a warm weather cruise, it is doubtful I will use the balcony very much.

I havde used the GTY option twice when it was the only option left to us for the cruise we wanted. The first time we booked a V6 GTY and got a V6 suite. In a good position but no upgrade. The second time, for our upcoming cruise (in 9 days time - Yay) we booked a V4 GTY and got a V6. Location looks good but we will see. In both cases we were allocated the suite about two weeks prior to sailing.

I havde used the GTY option twice when it was the only option left to us for the cruise we wanted. The first time we booked a V6 GTY and got a V6 suite. In a good position but no upgrade. The second time, for our upcoming cruise (in 9 days time - Yay) we booked a V4 GTY and got a V6. Location looks good but we will see. In both cases we were allocated the suite about two weeks prior to sailing.

Yes,the V6 category is the slowest seller and is the most often given category for a guarantee which is fine but there are a few suites that you would not want.

We booked a V1 guarantee and waited hoping for an upgrade. It was a bit like holding a lottery ticket waiting for the drawing. Our assignment came about 7 days before sailing, and it was a V1. We phoned our TA who had his manager call Seabourn to ask for an upgrade, mainly since there were still cabins available at all levels. We were upgraded to a V6 just a couple of days before sailing, and found out about the upgrade and change of cabin assignment on-line. We checked out the V1 partial metal railing issue while on board, and discussed it with passengers in a couple of V1 cabins. Not a big issue, IMO. However the consistent advice on CC seems to be to never book below the bare minimum where you would be comfortable. One should never count on an upgrade.

Exactly. And it always amazes me to see people book a guarantee and then complain they were not upgraded.

I seem to recall a few threads started by some [spoiled twits] where they claimed they would never go with Seabourn again because they weren't upgraded from their GTY and were given exactly the level of GTY that theyd paid for.

/I don't miss those.

I seem to recall a few threads started by some [spoiled twits] where they claimed they would never go with Seabourn again because they weren't upgraded from their GTY and were given exactly the level of GTY that theyd paid for.

/I don't miss those.

And sometimes you only have to rely on your short-term memory ...

I most always book a GTY, as I usually get an upgrade (not every time), and I really don't care where I end up. I just booked a 2 week cruise on the Quest and used the Verandah GTY for the cost of an A-GTY promotion. Kind of like an "instant upgrade"!

We booked a V1 guarantee and waited hoping for an upgrade. It was a bit like holding a lottery ticket waiting for the drawing. Our assignment came about 7 days before sailing, and it was a V1. We phoned our TA who had his manager call Seabourn to ask for an upgrade, mainly since there were still cabins available at all levels. We were upgraded to a V6 just a couple of days before sailing, and found out about the upgrade and change of cabin assignment on-line. We checked out the V1 partial metal railing issue while on board, and discussed it with passengers in a couple of V1 cabins. Not a big issue, IMO. However the consistent advice on CC seems to be to never book below the bare minimum where you would be comfortable. One should never count on an upgrade.

I won't count on an upgrade, but if I happen to get one like you you did, I will be pleasantly delighted. It would serendipitous!