Southwest Airlines

Ontario cruise duo

Not sure...I think it has to do with when you book the early bird, which isn't always the same as your original ticket. For example I may buy the ticket 4 months out and decide to add EB at 2 months out....it would be based on that 2 months, not the 4 months. That's how it used to be, unless things changed.

That is how one of their reps explained it to me.

We adore SW. Always got an A boarding pass and never did early bird. SW is the only airline that will not serves peanuts if there is a peanut allergy on board. There's a click when making the reservation about peanut dust, they then supply the plane with crackers instead. Trust me, when you're flying with a child who has life threatening allergies, this is a huge plus. We of course can not control what others eat, but for them to refrain from the nuts is aces in my book.

Free luggage gets me every time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

SW is the only airline that will not serves peanuts if there is a peanut allergy on board.

Sorry but that's not true. I've seen it happen on Southwest, American, Frontier, Qantas, and...one other that I can't think of. Maybe BA? Anyways, I'm sure it happens on United, Delta, Air Canada, etc. but I don't fly them enough to see.

A couple of months ago I flew American from São Paulo to Dallas and the purser had the strongest "please, please don't even remotely think about eating peanuts" statement that I've ever heard. The other airlines will either (a) avoid serving peanuts, or (b) if they don't serve peanuts in the first place, they'll ask you quite strongly to not eat them if the allergy on board is sensitive enough that it needs to be a whole plane ban (rather than just a few rows around a specific passenger, which I've seen too).

The other side of the coin is, you don't know who you are sitting next to. With Southwest, you have the option to choose.

How do you figure this? You do what you have to and get an early boarding group and a nice isle seat. Then at the very end Joe Schmo comes down the isle with his stinky sandwich and grabs the last center seat right next to you. Not much option with that is there? Me, I would much rather wait in the airline lounge until it is time to board instead of crowding around the gate like cattle waiting to board. I can just walk on at the end and toss my bad under the seat and relax. But to each his own I guess.

Another thing I love is that a lot of people have no problems spending $12.50 to MAYBE get a better seat on Southwest, but complain when asked to spend $20 to DEFINITELY get a better seat on a legacy airline. Southwest offers a service, the others nickel and dime. The bias towards Southwest is at times quite funny.

Or the fact they will drop extra cash for early group but get their shorts all in a knot about paying for a checked bag (and knowing what seat you will be in) :roll eyes:

I won't or don't deny they have their place and fans, but the reality is they are not always the best or cheapest option that the cult of southwest would like us to believe.

Edited by TruckerDave

Sorry but that's not true. I've seen it happen on Southwest, American, Frontier, Qantas, and...one other that I can't think of. Maybe BA? Anyways, I'm sure it happens on United, Delta, Air Canada, etc. but I don't fly them enough to see.

A couple of months ago I flew American from São Paulo to Dallas and the purser had the strongest "please, please don't even remotely think about eating peanuts" statement that I've ever heard. The other airlines will either (a) avoid serving peanuts, or (b) if they don't serve peanuts in the first place, they'll ask you quite strongly to not eat them if the allergy on board is sensitive enough that it needs to be a whole plane ban (rather than just a few rows around a specific passenger, which I've seen too).

Well then maybe we need to travel more with you. It has been my experience that American is the biggest offender and United is next. We go put of our way to not fly with them. I've called special services and they act like I have 12 heads. I stand by my statement that SW is the most accommodating.

Or the fact they will drop extra cash for early group but get their shorts all in a knot about paying for a checked bag (and knowing what seat you will be in) :roll eyes:

I won't or don't deny they have their place and fans, but the reality is they are not always the best or cheapest option that the cult of southwest would like us to believe.

I'd rather drop $12.50 for early boarding, then potentially $100 pp for our luggage. When I travel with my family, I want to pack what I want to pack. I have no interest in jamming everything in a carry on or paying $25 per checked bag. We walk on the plane with nothing, other than purses.

Southwest is the largest airline at my home airport. I get it, and I do fly them sometimes. They are, however, the only airline that has damaged a bag of mine. And in all my world travels, I have been on a couple of sketchy airlines! Their service is generally good, but I've had some bad experiences...same as on American, United, Delta, Frontier, etc. I just don't see how they're that amazingly better than all other airlines. If people think they are, more power to them. As someone who has been on many airlines around the world, I say Southwest is average.

Edited by Zach1213

I stand by my statement that SW is the most accommodating.

Actually, that's not what your statement was at all. Your statement was this:

We adore SW. Always got an A boarding pass and never did early bird. SW is the only airline that will not serves peanuts if there is a peanut allergy on board. There's a click when making the reservation about peanut dust, they then supply the plane with crackers instead. Trust me, when you're flying with a child who has life threatening allergies, this is a huge plus. We of course can not control what others eat, but for them to refrain from the nuts is aces in my book.

And that is patently UNtrue.

I have also been on flights -- for sure Delta and possibly others -- where an announcement was made that no peanuts would be served on the flight due to someone with severe allergies onboard.

Another thing I love is that a lot of people have no problems spending $12.50 to MAYBE get a better seat on Southwest, but complain when asked to spend $20 to DEFINITELY get a better seat on a legacy airline. Southwest offers a service, the others nickel and dime. The bias towards Southwest is at times quite funny.

I've never been lucky enough to get a better seat for $20 ....on united the cheapest prem Econ seat I've ever been able to buy was $49. More typical is $60-80.

Ironic, isn't it.

The other side of the coin is, you don't know who you are sitting next to. With Southwest, you have the option to choose.

If you get on first, you sit down and there's an empty seat next to you, you don't know who will sit down in it. Your lgic is flawed.

Free luggage gets me every time.

Most of the legacies no longer serve nuts at all. So more flawed logic.

Actually, that's not what your statement was at all. Your statement was this:

And that is patently UNtrue.

I have also been on flights -- for sure Delta and possibly others -- where an announcement was made that no peanuts would be served on the flight due to someone with severe allergies onboard.

US totally stopped serving them years ago.

I've never been lucky enough to get a better seat for $20 ....on united the cheapest prem Econ seat I've ever been able to buy was $49. More typical is $60-80.

You are comparing apples to oranges. There's a difference between better seats (aisle/window/exit row) and premium economy which generally offers more leg room and early boarding. You can buy an aisle or window in the front of the economy cabin on US for as little as $5.

Does anyone know the policy for boarding and seat assignment for passengers in wheelchairs?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've always seen wheelchairs pre-boarded, with ONE traveling companion (two if there is a younger child involved). Most airlines will not allow the entire extended family to pre-board with the wheelchair. (Thank goodness!)

US totally stopped serving them years ago.

The small bag of dry-roasted peanuts, and cup (not full can) of soft drink I get on Southwest wouldn't be a factor in deciding on my carrier. There could, of course, be other factors. I flew Southwest last month. Snacks were not a factor.

Edited by Fattony

The small bag of dry-roasted peanuts, and cup (not full can) of soft drink I get on Southwest wouldn't be a factor in deciding on my carrier. There could, of course, be other factors. I flew Southwest last month. Snacks were not a factor.

I agree. Cost isn't my #1 factor, either.

If you do the earlybird...you still checkin online at the 24 hour mark..will it then tell you what number you are ??
The nice thing about EarlyBird is that you don't have to check-in at any specific time. Your number is assigned automatically. So if you're on a cruise, you don't have to drop everything and get on a computer 24 hrs in advance of your flight and check in. You can check-in whenever you want, and still get the same number. You can even wait and get your boarding passes at the airport, though getting them ahead of time can save you time at the airport.
If you're going to drop a bag (which most cruisers are), you don't really save much time by printing a BP in advance. As far as I can recall, we just got to the counter, handed over our bags and got BPs in return - much like the airlines we're used to flying. Having paid for Early Bird, we were basically already in as good a position as we were ever likely to be - so zero stress.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am looking for 'air' from DTW to TPA or FNT to TPA, for first part of Dec. 2014.

When is the best time to book the flights on Southwest : just after they release the new dates / flights, or wait for possibly better prices later on ?

I do appreciate any suggestions.

If you get on first, you sit down and there's an empty seat next to you, you don't know who will sit down in it. Your lgic (sic) is flawed.

I don't think the logic is flawed. I said that you "have the option to choose". Now you can choose to sit near someone you desire, or sit near an empty seat and take your chances. Pretty obvious and not "flawed".

Hi, I am looking for 'air' from DTW to TPA or FNT to TPA, for first part of Dec. 2014.

When is the best time to book the flights on Southwest : just after they release the new dates / flights, or wait for possibly better prices later on ?

There's no pattern to the pricing, it all depends on supply and demand. However, if you book on Southwest, and the price goes down, you can get a credit that you can use for up to one year from the time you originally made the purchase. You can also get multiple credits on the same flight.

Please understand the Southwest business model. You will most likely do better on one of the legacy airlines booking BEFORE Southwest opens their schedule. Start looking now. When you see something you like, book it and don't look back.

WN business model: CHEAPEST FLIGHT ON THE DAY THEY OPEN THE SCHEDULE. But other airlines have been selling tickets for about 3 months BEFORE WN starts selling tickets. Very, very often those tickets are cheaper (even after tacking on luggage fees) than what you can find on WN when they open their schedule. And you don't have to fight for a seat or stand in line like a herd of cattle just to get to the "trough" first. Or pay extra for a "good" seat or check in at exactly 24 hours to get a good seat.

WN knows by the time they open their schedule that the legacy airlines have sold off their "cheap" seats. So why would they price them any lower than what is available on the day they open the schedule? They don't. We have years of historical data and only from some limited airports (mostly small, underserved airports by the legacy carriers) are the WN prices considerably cheaper than the legacy airlines.

I fly AA domestically a lot. PHX is a big Southwest hub. I fly to Kansas City frequently where WN has a large presence. A couple of weeks ago, I needed a last minute ticket to Kansas City or Des Moines or Omaha (any place to get me close to my Northern MO office). US Air out of PHX to Kansas City was STILL $55 cheaper than Southwest. That $55 would have paid for my checked suitcase if I had to pay (I don't, only because of status with AA). I got a better flight with miles that count for something other than a flight to Islip NY without all the "cutsey" very irritating to me, happy, happy comedy that goes on with Southwest FA. The safety briefing is supposed to be just that-a SAFETY briefing-serious info in case of an emergency. People on Southwest get so wrapped up in the comedy aspect I bet 75% of them would still have NO IDEA what to do in an emergency. Always reminds me of the scene from "Tommy Boy" where they are trying to do the safety briefing and screw it up royally.

Southwest started as a low fare carrier. When their fuel hedges expired, their prices have skyrocketed. People are still drinking the "lowest" fare is on Southwest Kool Aid. Believe me, it's not.