Southwest Airlines

Ontario cruise duo

First time flyer on Southwest...Please help me understand...you can checkin 24 hrs prior to departure and get a boarding # (zone) and get (print out) a boarding pass then you can only select your seats once on the plane ?

Yes. Southwest does not do assigned seating. It's "festival" seating (like at many outdoor concerts) - first come, first served. Thus the importance of 1)getting an "A" pass or 2)getting a "B" pass and know that your connecting flight is originating at your connecting airport.

I think 40 mins. is very tight, but possibly doable. Yes, as has been described many, many times here and on other sites, you do not get pre-assigned seats. The standard system is to log on as early as 24 hours before your flight, and get your number for standing in line. You can pay $12 extra to have them check you in, and give you a #, before that 24 hours (advantage being you don't have to jump on a computer to get a lower-- not necessarily low-- number). See "Early Bird" option on their site. I did that recently flying from SEA to LAX, with a change of planes at OAK. I had #44 on the first flight, something like #28 on the next. People who pay Southwest's business class fare (no real business class since all seats are the same, but they can check in early), and some others board first. Southwest recently started a system to pay extra to get a lower number at the airport.

I've generally gotten a cup (not full can) of soft drink, and a tiny packet of peanuts, on Southwest. Sure, better than nothing, but I certainly wouldn't pick an airline based on this. Sometimes Southwest ends up being the least expensive, especially given the "2 free bags" (up to 50 lbs. each; anything heavier you pay extra for) factor, but sometimes they are not.

They are better than others on changing flights.

Back to your basic question: 40 mins. at DTW? They may be boarding by the time you get to the gate of your second flight, so you may end up with a "poorer" seat than you expect, but if you miss your connection, they, like most airlines, will put you on the next flight with available seats. This may not be the very next flight, so the number of other flights there are to your destination that same day would be a factor, at least in my mind.

Edited by Fattony

Fattony, I'm not concerned with my seat assignment on the next leg of our flight as that will be DTW and the end of our journey, so as long as I'm on that flight:rolleyes: or God forbid (not really), if we miss that connection, as DH will be newly retired by then, and having nowhere specific to be the next day(s) or days thereafter:eek:. I do plan on taking the next day off work myself. So here's to the final leg or adventure of our Alaskan cruise vacation. I did pay the extra $12.50 pp for early check-in in Seattle though. Hoping to be at the front part of the plane!

P.S. Has anyone seen the recent posting of the Southwest airline attendant giving instructions to the passengers before takeoff. HILLARIOUS!!! (Don't know how to post it on here, but I think if you "Google it", it will come up! She has her passengers in stiches before takeoff!!)

Edited by Ontario cruise duo

There are some features that can modify this. Early Bird, for example, which mean that the airline will do the check-in for you before the general public has access to the system. This means that you should get a lower boarding number and therefore a better choice of seats. IMHO, money well spent.

I check dh and I in exactly at the 24 hour mark. We almost always end up in a A position. Often ahead in line of our friends who always pay extra for Early Bird! ;)

Edited by janetz

Janetz, we will just be disembarking from our cruise around that time and heading to our hotel in Seattle. Not sure that the internet will be available to us at that time of the day, so at this point in our trip, what's another $25.00.

I just can't say for sure that I'll be somewhere at that moment (10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning) to log on and check in. Believe me, if I could, for sure I would!

Janetz, we will just be disembarking from our cruise around that time and heading to our hotel in Seattle. Not sure that the internet will be available to us at that time of the day, so at this point in our trip, what's another $25.00.

I just can't say for sure that I'll be somewhere at that moment (10:00 a.m. on Sunday morning) to log on and check in. Believe me, if I could, for sure I would!

Yes, I see that would be a issue. :)

There are some features that can modify this. Early Bird, for example, which mean that the airline will do the check-in for you before the general public has access to the system. This means that you should get a lower boarding number and therefore a better choice of seats. IMHO, money well spent.

If you do the earlybird...you still checkin online at the 24 hour mark..will it then tell you what number you are ??

If you do the earlybird...you still checkin online at the 24 hour mark..will it then tell you what number you are ??

Yes, if you do early bird then check in some time after that, it will tell you what number you are to line up.

There is a bit more to know. If you do a lot of traveling on Southwest, it will unofficially assign you a boarding number and then issue it to you once you check in. I know someone who always seems to have A 16 no matter when he checks in. But, he tends to fly on Southwest weekly. They reward him for that. The rest of us generally get a better boarding position if we pay for EB.

The nice thing about EarlyBird is that you don't have to check-in at any specific time. Your number is assigned automatically. So if you're on a cruise, you don't have to drop everything and get on a computer 24 hrs in advance of your flight and check in. You can check-in whenever you want, and still get the same number. You can even wait and get your boarding passes at the airport, though getting them ahead of time can save you time at the airport.

Yes, if you do early bird then check in some time after that, it will tell you what number you are to line up.

There is a bit more to know. If you do a lot of traveling on Southwest, it will unofficially assign you a boarding number and then issue it to you once you check in. I know someone who always seems to have A 16 no matter when he checks in. But, he tends to fly on Southwest weekly. They reward him for that. The rest of us generally get a better boarding position if we pay for EB.

If he indeed travels weekly, he's foolish for choosing SW. On a legacy he'd be hitting top tier and be getting double FF miles, free first class upgrades 99% of the time, two if not three checked bags, and other perks which would vary by carrier but could include free long haul upgrades and free club membership among them.

If he indeed travels weekly, he's foolish for choosing SW. On a legacy he'd be hitting top tier and be getting double FF miles, free first class upgrades 99% of the time, two if not three checked bags, and other perks which would vary by carrier but could include free long haul upgrades and free club membership among them.

Unless he's flying something like Dallas to Houston and the convenience of the airports Southwest uses plus the fact that there are flights every half hour make it like commuting on the train or a bus.

Unless he's flying something like Dallas to Houston and the convenience of the airports Southwest uses plus the fact that there are flights every half hour make it like commuting on the train or a bus.

I guess it depends where you're going. When I work in the Dallas area, I work at a facility that is 10 minutes from DFW and 30+ from Love without any traffic. So Love is horribly inconvenient for me. Some of my Southwest-addicted colleagues do it, but I think they're crazy.

Many companies have a "lowest available" fare policy. A lot of business travel is last-minute, often making SWA the lowest at that point. I once worked for a company that focused on the lowest price and not total cost. People were out of the office all day instead of half a day and it didn't seem to matter...they saved $20 ! (At that company I'd fly to HKG every few months...my boss would sit on the travel request until 2 days prior. Biz Class was often the cheapest seat left, and full-fare Economy was usually only $200 cheaper than Biz...we would pay out-of-pocket to move closer to the pointy end of the plane)

Corporations (or the agency arranging their travel) often have partnership deals with airlines, rental cars, hotels, etc. and employees don't have free choice of which ones to use.

So, there can be reasons business travelers don't (or can't) choose their travel providers.

Edited by kenish

I check dh and I in exactly at the 24 hour mark. We almost always end up in a A position. Often ahead in line of our friends who always pay extra for Early Bird! ;)

This is not possible for most people who purchase everyday fares. Early Birds are checked in automatically 36 hours before flight time while other nonpreferred customers are limited to 24 hours and therefore will always get a higher boarding number.

Boy, there seems to be a lot of misinformation being spread about EB. If you purchase EB for $12.50 each way, Southwest automatically checks you in. There is no need for one to "check-in" again except possibly to see what number you have been assigned and to print out a boarding pass. One can do this anytime after the -24 hour mark.

Edited by parody

Fattony, I'm not concerned with my seat assignment on the next leg of our flight as that will be DTW and the end of our journey, so as long as I'm on that flight:rolleyes: or God forbid (not really), if we miss that connection, as DH will be newly retired by then, and having nowhere specific to be the next day(s) or days thereafter:eek:. I do plan on taking the next day off work myself. So here's to the final leg or adventure of our Alaskan cruise vacation. I did pay the extra $12.50 pp for early check-in in Seattle though. Hoping to be at the front part of the plane!

P.S. Has anyone seen the recent posting of the Southwest airline attendant giving instructions to the passengers before takeoff. HILLARIOUS!!! (Don't know how to post it on here, but I think if you "Google it", it will come up! She has her passengers in stiches before takeoff!!)

These skits have been done many times, and have been posted, and broadcast, many times. I was a bit surprised it made the news again, but kudos to Southwest for getting the publicity.

If that's true, Southwest is lying to their customers, assuring them that if they pay the extra they will get checked in 36 hours in advance. I'd be pretty steamed if I paid extra and got a lower #. Of course, checking in at the 24 hour mark (something many can't do when traveling), is no guarantee of getting an "A" number. Obviously varies by routing.

If I'm not going to be near a computer at the 24 hour mark I ask someone back home to check me in. Just need name, reservation number etc. Then I print my boarding pass at the airport and it will have that low number my friend got for me. I also found I can check in on my smart phone and then print at the airport. Once you check in, the number's yours.

If that's true, Southwest is lying to their customers, assuring them that if they pay the extra they will get checked in 36 hours in advance. I'd be pretty steamed if I paid extra and got a lower #. Of course, checking in at the 24 hour mark (something many can't do when traveling), is no guarantee of getting an "A" number. Obviously varies by routing.

QUOTE If that's true

Yes, it is true. I was as surprised as the people we travel with. We have been lucky with this, at the least in a front B position. For us, I will not spend the money even if I could not check in right at the 24 hour mark. ;)

Edited by janetz

Southwest is lying to their customers,

Well, I'd say they are lying by omission. Their website describes the order for how folks are assigned boarding positions under normal circumstances. The tricky part comes when someone cancels their flight. For example, some preferred passenger could be assigned a low number at the 36 hour mark and sometime after that they cancel their flight. I think that their boarding number is placed back into the pool to be assigned again. By chance, this could be the first person who checks in at the 24 hour mark and thus they will beat out some other EB folks. Something that you would not want to bank on.

This topic makes always makes me chuckle. Having to pay extra or worry about checking in at exactly 24 hrs prior just to get an early boarding group so you can hope to get a good seat..........I fly United and American and a)know what my seat is when I buy the ticket and b)know what boarding group i am in.

This topic makes always makes me chuckle. Having to pay extra or worry about checking in at exactly 24 hrs prior just to get an early boarding group so you can hope to get a good seat..........I fly United and American and a)know what my seat is when I buy the ticket and b)know what boarding group i am in.

Another thing I love is that a lot of people have no problems spending $12.50 to MAYBE get a better seat on Southwest, but complain when asked to spend $20 to DEFINITELY get a better seat on a legacy airline. Southwest offers a service, the others nickel and dime. The bias towards Southwest is at times quite funny.

One more question from a first time Southwest flyer...how does the earlybird check in work as far as boarding # assignments...by when (date) you make your original reservation..or totally random among those that have purchased it ?

One more question from a first time Southwest flyer...how does the earlybird check in work as far as boarding # assignments...by when (date) you make your original reservation..or totally random among those that have purchased it ?

It is not random. It is by when you make your original reservation.

I fly United and American and a)know what my seat is when I buy the ticket

The other side of the coin is, you don't know who you are sitting next to. With Southwest, you have the option to choose.

It is not random. It is by when you make your original reservation.

Not sure...I think it has to do with when you book the early bird, which isn't always the same as your original ticket. For example I may buy the ticket 4 months out and decide to add EB at 2 months out....it would be based on that 2 months, not the 4 months. That's how it used to be, unless things changed.