How do you choose a cruise line? Royal, Carnival, or Norwegian???

jdragr

I am thinking I partially know the answer but would like to hear from others. This will be our first cruise. It will be me, my husband and our two daughters 15 and 21. I am thinking we will sail western Caribbean and 7 days if that helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My boyfriend and I were trying to select a cruise earlier this year and this is roughly how that process went, after we decided we wanted to cruise to Bermuda for sure (step one for us, pick the destination):

*long discussion comparing costs of a cruise vacation vs Arizona vacation*

Him: Okay, so let's go on a cruise!

Me: Cool. Here are our options for Bermuda.

*shows him Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian options to Bermuda*

Him: I thought there was a 6-night option.

Me: No, these are the options out of New York. The 6-day is out of somewhere else. There's also Boston.

Him: No. Boston is too far when we have Manhattan's terminal right there. (step two, establish where our port is)

Me: Okay, so New York sailings. These are still our options.

Him: Well, 5 nights seems too short. I still could have sworn I saw a 6 night option.

Me: You're hallucinating. That was out of some other city. If 5 nights is too short, that rules out Royal Caribbean. So Celebrity or Norwegian. Celebrity is slightly cheaper, but out of Bayonne-

Him: I don't want to go to Jersey. That's too hard.

Me: Fine. Norwegian. (step three, establish that he's all about convenience whereas I don't care and would probably still be speculating if it was entirely my choice)

Him: Cool. My mom sailed them and loved it, so that's who I wanted. (step four, establish that this would have been much easier if he'd started with that sentiment)

Me: So... when in September do we want to go?

Him: We have to get a balcony. Nothing else will be as awesome.

Me: ... ??????

*two days later*

Me: Babe! I found a great deal! I'm gonna book now.

Him: Okay, we'll talk about it tonight.

Me: *incapable of waiting, so books it anyway* Okay, I booked it! September 21!

To sum up:

Step one - figure where you want to go and when (even just a month of the year)

Step two - figure out which port city (cities) work best

Step three - figure out which lines sail from that city to your ideal destination

Step four - figure out how long you want to spend on the cruise

Step five - figure out anything involving pricing vs how much you want to pay

Step six - Pick!

It's not a perfect system and my boyfriend and I kinda failed at the staying on the same page part of it, but we're super excited about September.

We chose ours based on the fact that my boyfriend is petrified of flying. We were limited to ports that we are willing to drive to. Since our first cruise is next month and we don't have a cruise line preference yet, it just made sense for us to book out of Baltimore seeing as it is less than 2 hours away from us. (We live in the Eastern part of West Virginia). So then we just went on RCL's website and kind of just went from there. I had just seen a tv commercial from them and it was fresh in my mind. So, then after I checked out the ship information and the itinerary I looked up reviews and that's how I found CC. So, then confident after what I had read about it, I booked it and never looked back. We booked a Junior Suite. (: Hopefully it meets all of my expectations but I am definitely not limiting myself to just one cruise line! If it was up to me I would book with all of them (;

Edited by Kelcbell

First question is which port do you want to sail from? You don't indicate where you live. Not all lines sail from every port. So this may help you reduce the choices.

In addition to that, are you close enough to the port city, or will you have to fly? If you have to fly, see which airlines go there, and what the airfare will be at the time you want to go. A number of people recommend flying in the day before, to greatly reduce the chance of missing the ship. If you do that, you'll need to figure in the cost of staying at a hotel for the night. If you opt to fly in the morning of your cruise, you'll need to get the earliest flight possible. As for which cruise line, compare the on board amenities for each of the cruise lines to determine which best suits your family. And of course, which itinerary appeals to you the most? Then, as cb at sea said, book the cruise and don't look back.:)

I am from Alabama too and I chose our first cruise to be from New Orleans as well, because it meant that we could drive to the port instead of flying. Loved this first cruise and it got me hooked on cruising. Now I will fly anywhere to a port if it has the itinerary that we want. Itinerary is what I look at first, then I see which ships sail this itinerary, then if possible I look for the newest ship or refurbished ship. I have sailed Carnival, Princess, and RCCL and have had a wonderful time on each cruise. Hope your cruise turns out great!

Of the 3 Cruiselines you're considering,,,, all 3 are more alike than different.

Choose based on Port of departure, ports wishing to visit (understanding that no port of visit is guaranteed) and number of days you want to sail.

The cruise line chooses me. I go for price and the longer cruise the better. I have deposits from previous cruises on RCI and Princess, but in the interim have gone on NCL but didn't leave a future cruise deposit because it was too much $. Always looking for the bargain and it's rarely the standard Caribbean cruise, usually repositions.

I do feel some guilt going with price because of how horrible the airline industry has turned out to be over that very issue, and the worst part of cruising being having to fly to ports. Don't know if the cruise industry will turn into the horrid creature that the airline industry has become, but if that is threatened, I would pay extra, extra to help them avoid becoming that. The alternative would be to leave cruise vacations, and still have to fly to all inclusives. For sure.

Well, decided I was going to book by Monday and would just see what was available. I am shocked! Nothing available from New Orleans except through Carnival for June. Yikes!!!

Yup I was just going to say it depends on which port and when you want to sail. Both NCL and Royal move their ships around much more than Carnival. Guess its because they have smaller fleets and do more sailing in Europe and Alaska.

We love sailing out of New Orleans and have sailed on Carnival and NCL. If this is your first cruise, depending on the length.. I would go ahead and go with the Carnival Dream. It was going to be our next cruise until we sailed on NCL and fell in love with them. That and we go in the late fall/early winter and this time we are bringing 3 kids so their Kids sail free promo really works in our favor.

I am thinking I partially know the answer but would like to hear from others. This will be our first cruise. It will be me, my husband and our two daughters 15 and 21. I am thinking we will sail western Caribbean and 7 days if that helps.

First I'd look at the ships sailing the itinerary I want. Then I'd look at the prices for the kind of cabin I want. Then I'd make my decision.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband, college-aged son and I will be cruising for the first time this summer. We live an hour from Pittsburgh. I was able to find a cruise trip where we get a charter bus in Pittsburgh to Baltimore and board the ship there. That saved me the headaches of figuring out airport travel/hotel arrangements/car rental logistics. The best time for us to travel is in late summer before I head back to school & son goes back to college. I preferred a 7 or 8 day trip.

I happened to be looking through a Triple A newspaper advertising different trips and came across the Royal Caribbean trip to the Bahamas that offered all this. That's why I chose it. The cruise line didn't matter, I'm sure they all have pros and cons. We just wanted to experience the cruise and visit someplace tropical. If it had been going to Bermuda or any other of those places in that area, that would have been fine, too. After that, it's what you make it. We'll be stopping in Port Canaveral, not a place that's high on my list to see, but we are the kind to make the most of it and enjoy something new, learn something new. Best of luck as you figure it out. Have fun.

Well, decided I was going to book by Monday and would just see what was available. I am shocked! Nothing available from New Orleans except through Carnival for June. Yikes!!!

Have fun, enjoy the Dream! :cool:

My boyfriend and I were trying to select a cruise earlier this year and this is roughly how that process went, after we decided we wanted to cruise to Bermuda for sure (step one for us, pick the destination):

*long discussion comparing costs of a cruise vacation vs Arizona vacation*

Him: Okay, so let's go on a cruise!

Me: Cool. Here are our options for Bermuda.

*shows him Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian options to Bermuda*

Him: I thought there was a 6-night option.

Me: No, these are the options out of New York. The 6-day is out of somewhere else. There's also Boston.

Him: No. Boston is too far when we have Manhattan's terminal right there. (step two, establish where our port is)

Me: Okay, so New York sailings. These are still our options.

Him: Well, 5 nights seems too short. I still could have sworn I saw a 6 night option.

Me: You're hallucinating. That was out of some other city. If 5 nights is too short, that rules out Royal Caribbean. So Celebrity or Norwegian. Celebrity is slightly cheaper, but out of Bayonne-

Him: I don't want to go to Jersey. That's too hard.

Me: Fine. Norwegian. (step three, establish that he's all about convenience whereas I don't care and would probably still be speculating if it was entirely my choice)

Him: Cool. My mom sailed them and loved it, so that's who I wanted. (step four, establish that this would have been much easier if he'd started with that sentiment)

Me: So... when in September do we want to go?

Him: We have to get a balcony. Nothing else will be as awesome.

Me: ... ??????

*two days later*

Me: Babe! I found a great deal! I'm gonna book now.

Him: Okay, we'll talk about it tonight.

Me: *incapable of waiting, so books it anyway* Okay, I booked it! September 21!

To sum up:

Step one - figure where you want to go and when (even just a month of the year)

Step two - figure out which port city (cities) work best

Step three - figure out which lines sail from that city to your ideal destination

Step four - figure out how long you want to spend on the cruise

Step five - figure out anything involving pricing vs how much you want to pay

Step six - Pick!

It's not a perfect system and my boyfriend and I kinda failed at the staying on the same page part of it, but we're super excited about September.

This is such a typical guy/girl thing - well in our house anyway :) :)

Love it.

Edited by paddingtonbear

This is such a typical guy/girl thing - well in our house anyway :) :)

Love it.

Haha, yeah... It seems to happen a lot here, too. He's so focused on getting me to be straight forward with what I want that he winds up being completely round-about with what he wants. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The title of your thread is "how do you choose a cruise line? Royal, Carnival or Norwegian???"

To answer your 1st question:

I choose is this order:

1. Price-- it's gotta be in my budget

2. Itinerary-- Look at ports, number of days in ports and number of days at sea

3. Departure Port-- Living in FL makes this pretty easy for me, but when I lived in OH it was important that the port be somewhere I could get to in an affordable manner

To answer your 2nd question:

I've done NCL and RCCL. I booked a Carnival one for this fall but unfortunately had to cancel it so I can only speak to 2 of the 3. And I've only been on 1 RCL cruise so far(my 2nd is in 3 weeks). As a 29 year old single professional, here's my 2 cents:

**DISCLAIMER: EVERYTHING IS MY OWN, HUMBLE OPINION. I'M NOT STATING THIS AS FACT OR GOSPEL SO PLEASE REFRAIN FROM TROLLING ME IF YOU DISAGREE!** Thanks! :o

NCL

Pros: affordable, young, diverse, nice ships, love doing what i want when i want, lots of partying, pretty good daily activities

Cons: the food is not that great(unless you go to one of the specialty restaraunts!), drinks are really expensive, overall service is mediocre

Royal

Pros: outstanding service, wonderful food, well kept ships, diverse, lots of great activities throughout the day for whole family(i love trivia!)

Cons: older crowd, cost of cruise is not-so-affordable(but i'm a teacher so lots of thing aren't affordable for me! lol), nightlife is disappointing

Bottom Line: If I could, I'd choose Royal over NCL every time because the service and food far surpass NCL on a consistant, daily basis both in the regular dining rooms and specialty restaurants. Even though the nightlife is underwhelming, I'd still go with Royal.

Happy Planning & Smooth Sailing,

Monica

Sorry, I live in Alabama. The closest port to me is New Orleans.

Going to the Caribbean would be one of the closest, picking where, it is good to talk to the family. Offer suggestions of places,and some activities off the ship & and on the ship. Each cruise line offer different things.

Haha, yeah... It seems to happen a lot here, too. He's so focused on getting me to be straight forward with what I want that he winds up being completely round-about with what he wants. :rolleyes:

The 6 day is Grandeur out of Baltimore...lol. We took that one last year for our first cruise. I just thought that was funny...

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Tough decision as there are several factors here...are you willing to fly to Florida, where most of the bigger, better ships are? WHEN do you want to go? I am both an avid cruiser ( # 30 will be Oasis in Oct..) and a cruise agent that has cruised on Carnival ( 6x), RCI ( 12x) , NCL ( 5x) , Disney (2x) , and Celebrity, HAL, Princess & Celebration cruise lines all once. Since I don't know all the factors & info, I will recommend based upon "all things being equal"..These are MY OPINIONS: the big RCI ships ( Oasis, Allure, Freedom Of The Seas in PC..) are simply awesome..they have a "WOW" factor all the others don't have- the Royal Promenade, Flowrider ( surf simulator, ride the waves!), Zip-line ( not on Freedom) , ice-skating shows w/Canadian,Russian & U.S. skaters dancing to great music, Central Park ( fantastic on Oasis/Allure only) , Adult Solarium Pool ( terrific adults only pool ), PLUS nice dining venues Chops (steakhouse) Giovanni's ( Italian) , British Pub, and more..the diving show in the Boardwalk I thought was THEE most spectacular show at sea I've ever seen..NCL Getaway/Breakaway would also be a great choice with daughters because they also have a lot of slides, dining venues like Teppanyaki,a Japanese steakhouse where they cook hibachi style at your table- very cool! , Le Bistro, wonderful French cuisine, O'Sheehan's Irish Pub, open 24/ 7 with FREE food ( fish & chips wonderful!) and something called "The Waterfront", a wonderful OUTSIDE promenade area with both restaurants & bars over-looking the sea..NCL has terrific shows like Rock Of Ages,an 80's music show, Illusionarium ( magic & cirque show), BurnThe Floor ( latin dancing), Legally Blonde, and more... I would NOT choose any of the smaller NCL ships with the girls, not enough to do IMO..if you choose Carnival, the Dream would be OK, the Breeze out of Miami better,IMO..not a huge fan of their ships and I think both RCI or the new NCL ships would be better with 2 daughters with you...good luck and any questions let me know...

Big Al

My criteria affecting selection:

When do we want to go? - Not every itinerary is available all the time (i.e. - no Alaska in the winter, etc.)

Where do we want to go? - Caribbean, Baltic, South Pacific, etc.

How long? - Don't forget to add in travel time to/from the port and an extra day if there's the posibility of jet lag or flights delayed by weather.

Port intensive? - Different port (almost) every day, or mainly at-sea days?

What cruise lines are available? - Each line caters to a different base clientele.

Please note, I did not identify PRICE as a criteria. When you break it down, the difference in the low and mid priced lines is usually in the realm of $15-25 per day difference. You usually get what you pay for.

My take (and I know I'll draw flames for this, but the following is solely my opinion, based on what I have experienced):

Carnival - Primarily first time cruisers and those who want to go as cheaply as possible.

Norwegian - Again, usually the lowest initial price, but a lot of nickel and diming (extra charges).

Costa - American itineraries good for families and those who enjoy a more international flavor. On Mediterranean cruises, North Americans will be in the minority. Many more smokers!

Royal Caribbean - good for those who are "more active" and/or those who want the ship to be the main feature.

Princess - Also good for families. Very "vanilla". Just good, basic, cruising. Excellent Alaska.

Holland America -More mature base. Fewer children. More genteel.

Cabin(s) - The reality on cabins is that you're only in your cabin to sleep, shower, shave, s****, and change clothes. You can't see anything out your window at night (there ain't no street lights out there), balconies are highly over-rated and you won't spend that must time out there anyway (there's way too much else going on). Suites are great, if you're really in need (not want) of extra space.

No matter what cabin you take, you'll all go to the same places, eat the same great meals and watch the same shows. The only difference is how much you choose to spend on where you sleep . . .

Edited by Calgon1
'cause I can't spell . . .