Is it the crew's job to be "Happy"???

SO I was just reading a review and the OP's main complaint was that the crew did not seem "happy", and they looked like they would "rather be somepalce else."

The OP then said the food was great, they had no complaints about service, only that the crew didn't seem content, and didin't seem to go out of their way to be overly chatty.

So the QOTD; is it their job to be happy?? They are at work, it isn't like they are on vacation. I'm not sure that being "unfriendly" and not being "happy" are the same thing??

I know that I myself am constantly being asked by people "what's wrong" when nothing is. I guess my face just looks unhappy even when it isn't. So I'm wondering if that OP was even correct in their assessment of unhappiness??

Point is, do YOU expect HAPPINESS from your crew, and do you somehow feel shortchanged if you don't feel you receive it??

Thoughts?

You are right, there is certainly a difference between "unfriendly" and "not happy". I don't expect everyone to be friendly and chatty. They are busy doing their jobs. If they stopped to talk with everyone, they'd be in trouble for not getting their jobs done! I do certainly appreciate the fact that I have always gotten a cheerful "hello" as I passed anyone in the corridors.

Happy? No. Courteous, polite professional, and approachable? Yes.

I think that these qualities should be expected from employees who are "the face"'of a company. It can be a multi-million company with thousands of employees and several behind the scenes departments necessary to make it run. But what most customers see, and base their experience on, are the 2-3 employees that they come in touch with in person. They better AT LEAST smile, or find a different position where they don't come in direct contact with the customers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I am often not happy at work. I mean, I love my job and really wouldn't want to work anywhere else, but sometimes I am completely overworked and get tired and drained of energy. I don't let that show at work. I will talk to my boss about it, but not let it show otherwise. I deal with people all day. I travel for work, and I'm often exhausted and jet lagged, but when I meet with colleagues, I'm smiling and happy. It's part of my job.

So while I completely understand why some crew may not be happy, I do think they have an obligation to not let that outwardly show. I can't even begin to imagine how overworked they are, and how exhausted they must be. But they gotta put on a happy face and make it work. It's never nice when you check into a hotel, and the person behind the counter is so miserable and bitter that they make you uncomfortable. So yes, I think it is PART of their job to put on a happy face.

JUST MY OPINION!

No I don't expect them to be happy. I do appreciate those that do seem to be happy with their jobs and it shows on their faces but as long as they do their job well I don't really care. Most that I have seen onboard any of the ships I have been on do seem to be happy. There are some that don't. There are days when I am sure I don't look happy with my job either.

I think some expect to become "friends" with their servers and stewards and think they should carry on conversations. I expect them to acknowledge it if I speak to them first with just a Good Morning or Hello in a hallway but not to carry on a cheerful conversation. Most just smile and return a greeting and to me that is all that should be expected.

On some cruises our stewards have been very friendly, asking about our port days, etc. and some just nod as we walk by. As long as they do their job well I consider everything to be good.

It is a job and how ever many hours they work they need to at least smile and be pleasant, I would say even appear to us that they are upbeat and loving their job. People pay a lot of money for their cruise and they can always take their money to another cruise line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't cruised yet so I can't talk regarding cruise crew members but I do know when I am at a hotel or theme park, I do expect some sort of pleasnt demeanor. No, the staff doesn't have to be excessively happy and overly chatty/friendly but simple gestures can make a difference. I'm the type of person who will always smile and say hi when I pass someone in the halls and I guess I do expect something simple like that in return. It's not something that would ruin a vacation for me though, but more like a nice perk. As long as someone isn't purposively rude, I completely understand having "off" days and not always being 100% chipper.

Edited by iheartmarshall

To a certain extent if you are working in the service industry then yes, you are expected to be polite and if at all possible - friendly and cheerful, especially if you work in an industry with tips.

On a vacation you expect to be having a good time, and it can be hard to do that if the crew seem pretty depressed. It would make me a little uncomfortable to think that people are unhappy serving me, and that me going on holiday has made these people unhappy. That's a bit depressing in itself.

I've worked in the service industry and even if you are having a terrible terrible day you still put on a smile and make an effort to be friendly to customers.

This reminds me of the time we had a southern european waiter who was moaning in a really eccentric manner on our ship last year. He wandered round saying things like 'This ship is crazy, why am I do this?' and 'What is that, why am I serving it'. At first I didnt know what to do but found it oddly amusing and I burst out laughing because I was a bit uncomfortable the waiter broke into a laugh as well and said 'The british have a sense of humour...that is good'.

We wished we had him all cruise.

As long as they are feeling ok and being are professional and gracious then there are no problems. If they wanna add happy in the mix why not?

I dont expect happy clappy super dooper all the time...I am a sarcastic blunt Brit after all. :D

SO I was just reading a review and the OP's main complaint was that the crew did not seem "happy", and they looked like they would "rather be somepalce else."

The OP then said the food was great, they had no complaints about service, only that the crew didn't seem content, and didin't seem to go out of their way to be overly chatty.

So the QOTD; is it their job to be happy?? They are at work, it isn't like they are on vacation. I'm not sure that being "unfriendly" and not being "happy" are the same thing??

I know that I myself am constantly being asked by people "what's wrong" when nothing is. I guess my face just looks unhappy even when it isn't. So I'm wondering if that OP was even correct in their assessment of unhappiness??

Point is, do YOU expect HAPPINESS from your crew, and do you somehow feel shortchanged if you don't feel you receive it??

Thoughts?

I don't know about you, but if my job required me to work the long hours (usually 16 or more a day) that the staff have to work, it would be extremely difficult for me to "be happy" all day. I think at some point, some "pharmaceuticals" might be required.:rolleyes: So, to answer your question, no, I don't expect HAPPINESS from the crew. A friendly little "hello" as they go about their job is sufficient for me. I'm appreciative of how hard everyone works to keep things clean and in good repair and to try to give the passengers a good cruise experience. I suspect that the person that wrote that review didn't stop to think about how demanding many of the staff's jobs are. I also wonder if he/she ever said "thank-you" when someone (room steward, waiter, whomever) did something nice for him/her.

another angle to this is what was that poster's attitude towards the staff? Was the poster friendly and cheerful, or a glowering sourpuss?

Our own demeanor often strongly influences the demeanor of the people around us.

Thoughts?

I instantly thought, "if you want happy all the time, go to Disney" because they are the only place that advertises "The happiest place on earth."

I really think that sometimes people misjudge concentration with unhappy. Many workers on the crew are very busy and have long lists of procedures that they must follow. So if you see them in the hall and they are not smiling or they don't look up at you when you pass, or they did not initiate the "hello" then they assume that means the person is unhappy. It could mean the person has a lot going on in their head at the moment and are concentrating on making sure everything goes great on YOUR vacation for you.

I used to be a cocktail waitress (many moons ago) and my job depended on smiling and being "happy" but as soon as I left the customer, my face went back into concentration mode as I tried to remember all the silly requests the person (s) made. If someone I knew walked by, most of the time, I didn't even see them because I was in my own little world. AND before someone says I wasn't very good, I consecutively made top tips for 2 years. It was because I was always friendly when talked to, always did my job and followed procedure and always did my job well. It was not because I pasted a smile on my face 24/7. Sometimes, you have to be in your own zone to do your job well.

It IS considered part of the crew's job to be pleasant and try to greet you by name. In fact on the survey I just received after my cruise several questions had to do with just this topic.

We make it a point (MR. Riffatsea is especially good at this) to learn the names of the crew and to greet them by name if we can. It is certainly true that if you smile and greet people they are likely to do the same to you!

I believe there are a few people who feel that if the crew doesn't bow down and kiss their you-know-what or go out of their way to constantly acknowledge them, or (and I loved this one) stop walking so they don't cross in front of the guest, then the crew must be unhappy or unfriendly. They will then tell you that they're not happy with Carnival and will never cruise with them again.

I could care less if I never meet my room steward to check to see if he'll smile at me or remember my name as long as each day my cabin is cleaned, my cooler is filled with ice and my towel animal awaits me when I arrive back to my cabin for the night.

I don't think anyone ever walks around with a smile on their face 24/7. People go through struggles. These people have to be around people all the time. So they are expected to smile all the time especially if they are going through something? INMO and it is just me, I don't expect them to smile all the time. There could be many reasons they are not smiling when I see them.

No one has to think like I do. It is just my 2 cents worth.

FYI, I don't know the poster and have no skin in this game whatsoever. I just read the review and felt that a lack of happiness was an odd thing to complain about.

Personally, I don't spend enough time with the crew to know if they are happy, sad, or in between. On rare occasion I have hit it off wth a particular crew member, actually 3 that come to mind. Cherry, my cabin attendant on Navigator in 2003, Fernando, the Windjammer Manager on Vision (he was taken with my then 2 yo son), and Keisha, a server on Freedom in 2011 (also due to my son).

Beside these 3 standouts, I don't remember much about various crews. I do think it's slightly odd if people expect to suddenly become besties with people who are there to work.

I think I expect a degree of "happiness" from those members of the staff that are in the customer service departments (i.e. room staff, officers, bar keeps, etc.). If I pass an engine room mechanic that is traversing an area I happen to be in, I don't expect that I should be greeted warmly by them and told that my trip is greated appreciated.

I have read a great deal of good comments on this issue as I thought out my post. I wonder if perhaps being at the end of a nine-month stint wears these people down and that their attitude is defeated by the many idiotic passengers that many of them deal with every week.

I for one, could not deal with some that I simply have to walk to another part of the ship to get away from.

Lastly, eventhough I have to admit that I am always VERY EXCITED about being onboard these floating pleasure palaces, I am sure that the excitement has waned for the crew. Perspective is everything!

"HAPPY" isn't a smile on ones face. It is a feeling inside them. That being said, I don't expect a lengthy conversation with crew. I don't even expect a hello. But It makes me feel better when they take the time to acknowledge me even if we are just passing in a hallway. Actually I find it amazing at how upbeat most crew members are. The ones, in my experience, who seem to be the least "friendly" are the people who clean up in the buffet dining areas. Hardly ever see a smile on their faces. Something else that amazes me is how waiters remember our names and call us by name when we see them in other parts of the ship.

I can't imagine how anyone could act happy and cheerful 24/7 while being away from their homes and family for so long.

I instantly thought, "if you want happy all the time, go to Disney" because they are the only place that advertises "The happiest place on earth."

I really think that sometimes people misjudge concentration with unhappy. Many workers on the crew are very busy and have long lists of procedures that they must follow. So if you see them in the hall and they are not smiling or they don't look up at you when you pass, or they did not initiate the "hello" then they assume that means the person is unhappy. It could mean the person has a lot going on in their head at the moment and are concentrating on making sure everything goes great on YOUR vacation for you.

I used to be a cocktail waitress (many moons ago) and my job depended on smiling and being "happy" but as soon as I left the customer, my face went back into concentration mode as I tried to remember all the silly requests the person (s) made. If someone I knew walked by, most of the time, I didn't even see them because I was in my own little world. AND before someone says I wasn't very good, I consecutively made top tips for 2 years. It was because I was always friendly when talked to, always did my job and followed procedure and always did my job well. It was not because I pasted a smile on my face 24/7. Sometimes, you have to be in your own zone to do your job well.

This cracks me up, because MANY, MANY of my friends work at Disneyland, and if guests could see and hear how they talk about you when you arn't around....:p

They have entire FB sites dedicated to "Stupid Guest Tricks", photos, the whole nine. They may look happy when you are watching, but when you're not, they are quite the hateful bunch!!!:D:eek:

But DL is still my favorite place, and they never, ever let it show IN THE PARK!:)

We have only cruised a few times, but have commented each time about the attitude of every crew member we have come in contact with. They have all had smiles on their faces and always a good morning. I see how hard they work and have always been impressed with their ability to continue to smile in spite of what I am sure have been some grumpy vacationers.

Yeah, I pretty much think that in the hospitality industry, where the company is in the business of providing an enjoyable vacation atmosphere, the staff should be expected to at least seem (look) as if they are happy, even if they are not. It's part of the job, because it affects the atmosphere onboard and it is hard for pax to enjoy themselves when they are surrounded by employees who seem discontented, bored or sad. Of course, I think the onus falls on the company itself to keep their staff happy (through pay, respect, working conditions, etc.), but even so, the hospitality industry IMO calls for folks who at least have the ability to not seem unhappy.

Thoughts?

Do I expect happiness from the crew? absolutely not!! I'm not happy everyday at work.

Do I feel shortchanged if I feel I didn't receive it? heck no!!

Being friendly and unhappy are 2 different things. ( I know the post your talking about.) They should be friendly, but even I know, it isn't always going to happen. we all have our days. So they only say hi to you in the hallway, big deal. I hardly get a thank you from my customers after serving them for 16 hours and after cleaning up their vomit.

having sailed numerous times, the crew has always been polite. I don't care if they talk to me or not. Just politeness. I don't care if they call me by name. (I didn't like being called lady on rcl, that to me was a bit strange).