When to get trip insurance

Since RCL will refund your money, including deposit, before the final payment date if you have to cancel, is it wise to wait until final payment to get trip insurance?

There are other considerations.

If you have paid for non-refundable flights, then you might want to cover those costs as soon as you pay for them.

Also, check the policy terms for pre-existing medical conditions. Some policies require insurance to be purchased within a certain number of days from when the cruise is initially booked.

Go to insuremytrip.com and read through some of the policies.

'Cancel for any reason' is usually something that must be purchased either within 24 hours for some policies and up to 14 days on others. Preexisting conditions also require a time frame for purchase, but there are policies where you can purchase it within 24 hours of final payment (CSI Luxe) however this seems to be the most expensive way of doing it.

Most policies have a 10 day trial period where you can purchase and review your coverage, then cancel if you change your mind, for a small fee. Some let you cancel after the 10 days as long as you haven't made a claim and if you haven't left yet, for a small fee.

You have to read each policy thoroughly.

I agree that if you make a nonrefundable purchase such as airfare you should insure the same day.

Edited by marci22

Go to insuremytrip.com and read through some of the policies.

'Cancel for any reason' is usually something that must be purchased either within 24 hours for some policies and up to 14 days on others. Preexisting conditions also require a time frame for purchase, but there are policies where you can purchase it within 24 hours of final payment (CSI Luxe) however this seems to be the most expensive way of doing it.

Most policies have a 10 day trial period where you can purchase and review your coverage, then cancel if you change your mind, for a small fee. Some let you cancel after the 10 days as long as you haven't made a claim and if you haven't left yet, for a small fee.

You have to read each policy thoroughly.

I agree that if you make a nonrefundable purchase such as airfare you should insure the same day.

ok. nice to know.

As mentioned, most of the 3rd party Trip Insurance Policies require that you purchase the Policy w/in 14-21 days of booking your cruise in order to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" and to be able to purchase "Cancel for Any Reason" optional coverage; CSA Freestyle (and one or two others) allow you to purchase up to Final Payment and still get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions".

RCI's cruiseline Policy does not offer "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" and includes a 75% future cruise CREDIT and can be purchased up to Final Payment - I believe there's a note buried in the Policy that the policy maybe can be purchased later.

ken

Edited by Ken076

Depends on the benefits you require in the policy.

For example : RCCL's insurance does not included a Pre-Existing Waiver. Therefore if you require this than a private policy must be purchase and depending on the company/policy it must be purchased within 10 -14 dayd from date of the initial booking in order to have the Pre-Existing Waiver.

You can compare policies on the following websites:

http://www.insuremytrip.com

http://www.squaremouth.com

http://www.quotewright.com

You have to decide what you really need and then shop around. Pre-existing condition is the biggest one. The policy must be bought usually within 14 days (or less) of INITIAL deposit. Cancel for any reason, likewise except Royal Caribbean, when you always have it. There are other "cancel" reasons, "work reasons" if your vacation is cancelled at work, "military leave" if a member of your party is in the military and his/her leave is cancelled, etc.

I generally wait until final payment as I have no pre-existing conditions that will cause my cruise to cancel, and if something pops up in that timeframe I'll probably cancel anyway (at least that's how I look at it). Having said that, i had Rotator Cuff surgery a few years ago and bought the insurance when I paid my initial deposit as I could envision a possibility that the surgery could prevent me from going on the cruise. So, look at the most likely reasons that you'll cancel and purchase a policy that will cover them.

We mainly get it for emergencies that may happen on the ship, such as breaking down like the Carnival ships did...we also get it for some baggage allowance and especially for medical evacuation or unforeseen illness develops. When you pay 3k plus for a cruise whats another couple hundred of dollars we say.

Pre-existing conditions is the big reason why some may choose to buy earlier ... whether from the line or insuremytrip.

Another consideration is that with the RCL insurance, you can select it when you book the cruise. But, you do not pay the premium until the final payment date.

Another consideration is that with the RCL insurance, you can select it when you book the cruise. But, you do not pay the premium until the final payment date.

That really doesn't buy you anything, as you're not covered by it until you've actually paid for it.

IMO The "cons" against the Cruiseline Policy are that there's no "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and the Medical/EVAC coverages are VERY low.

ken

We do this also and in 2013 I had to cancel a trip to Alaska w/my Mom who was hospitalized and not approved for travel by her doctor. Got everything back. Except of course for the price we paid for the INSURANCE. Would never book travel without this.

We get our trip insurance upon making deposit and pay for that right away.

You have to decide what you really need and then shop around. Pre-existing condition is the biggest one. The policy must be bought usually within 14 days (or less) of INITIAL deposit. Cancel for any reason, likewise except Royal Caribbean, when you always have it. There are other "cancel" reasons, "work reasons" if your vacation is cancelled at work, "military leave" if a member of your party is in the military and his/her leave is cancelled, etc.

I generally wait until final payment as I have no pre-existing conditions that will cause my cruise to cancel, and if something pops up in that timeframe I'll probably cancel anyway (at least that's how I look at it). Having said that, i had Rotator Cuff surgery a few years ago and bought the insurance when I paid my initial deposit as I could envision a possibility that the surgery could prevent me from going on the cruise. So, look at the most likely reasons that you'll cancel and purchase a policy that will cover them.

I'm the same way...relatively young (41) and I don't have any pre-existing health issues. My main thing is if something happens between Final payment and the cruise date and then anything onboard. I typically wait until right before final payment (penalty free deadline) before I purchase. I can't think of any other gap, except maybe airline fees if I purchase my tickets prior to that time. I've always wondered if I'm missing something.

One thing about pre-existing cons. is that if you take any meds, that will be

used as a p.c. for the reason you take the med. For instance, many people take

blood pressure lowering drugs---the insurance company looks at that (high blood pressure) as a p.c.

We always get insurance the day our cruise agent puts deposit down for the

cruise.

That really doesn't buy you anything, as you're not covered by it until you've actually paid for it.

IMO The "cons" against the Cruiseline Policy are that there's no "waiver of pre-existing conditions" and the Medical/EVAC coverages are VERY low.

ken

You don't need to have insurance coverage until Final Payment and the policy premium is paid. Up till that point, you can cancel for any reason and get 100% back; basically just the down payment... For this reason, there is no reason not to select the cruise care as soon as you book the room. That said, you can easily cancel the policy at any time before final payment if you find a better deal.

You don't need to have insurance coverage until Final Payment and the policy premium is paid. Up till that point, you can cancel for any reason and get 100% back; basically just the down payment... For this reason, there is no reason not to select the cruise care as soon as you book the room. That said, you can easily cancel the policy at any time before final payment if you find a better deal.

As has been mentioned, some need coverage to be in force before cruise final payment. For example, to cover non-refundable airfare that is purchased months before cruise final payment, or pre-existing medical conditions.

Edited by clarea

As long as you are not booking within the 60 day look back period for pre-existing conditions.

*Please note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide

a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the

following reasons:

• a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms

causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change

in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver; mental,

nervous or psychological disorders, or normal pregnancy, unless hospitalized;

elective abortion; drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

One thing about pre-existing cons. is that if you take any meds, that will be

used as a p.c. for the reason you take the med. For instance, many people take

blood pressure lowering drugs---the insurance company looks at that (high blood pressure) as a p.c.

We always get insurance the day our cruise agent puts deposit down for the

cruise.

Actually...if you have a condition that's being treated (even with meds) and under control with no change of meds, change of treatment, no hospitalization, it's not a Pre-Existing condition. If you had High Blood Pressure and were taking meds, and they had to change the Rx or you had to go to the hospital,then it becomes a Pre-Existing Condition.

ken

Another point: if you add CruiseCare to your reservation but do not specifically pay the premium at that time, the pre-exisiting condition period will not start until the point at which you actually pay for it.

I have read about this happening a few times over the years on these boards.

As long as you are not booking within the 60 day look back period for pre-existing conditions.

*Please note the following restrictions:

Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide

a cash refund, should you cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for any of the

following reasons:

• a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms

causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change

in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver; mental,

nervous or psychological disorders, or normal pregnancy, unless hospitalized;

elective abortion; drugs or intoxicants, unless prescribed by a Physician;

http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/RCICruiseCare.pdf

I think ednjy is just pointing out that you don't need Cancellation Insurance prior to Final Payment Deadline, as you can cancel for absolutely any reason, and get 100% refund; even if you had Trip Insurance and cancelled before Final Payment deadline, the Insurance would not cover the cancellation as the cancellation is fully refundable charge at that time.

My only point was that "selecting" Cruisecare at Deposit, but not paying for it then, is meaningless as you have zero insurance coverage until you actually pay-up - all that "selection" does is remind them to keep the CruiseCare Premium in the Balance due at Final Payment (which you can still choose not to buy at that point).

You're right, paying for CruiseCare at Final Payment shifts the LookBack Window - there are scenarios where this could be to your advantage, or to your disadvantage. I've also read a number of posts where cruiser's got confused between "selecting" and "paying for" the cruisecare.

ken

Edited by Ken076

I purchase my TravelGuard policy at the time I make my deposit because it waives pre-existing, and also because if I purchase it within their initial time frame (I think 14 days from deposit) it also makes their medical coverage primary for no extra charge. That's a huge deal for me - if I get sick or hurt in a foreign country, I don't want to have to deal with my own insurance to see if they'll pay or what they'll pay, especially in an emergent situation. Much nicer to know that my travel insurance is primary and they'll deal with whatever needs to be dealt with right out of the gate.

You're right, paying for CruiseCare at Final Payment shifts the LookBack Window - there are scenarios where this could be to your advantage, or to your disadvantage. I've also read a number of posts where cruiser's got confused between "selecting" and "paying for" the cruisecare.

ken

The lookback period starts when you purchase it, so it's best to purchase it so that your lookback period ends before final payment is due.

If you purchased the insurance at deposit, and you became ill with a preexisting condition within the lookback period, but after final had been made, I think that you would be ineligible for trip cancellation coverage of 100%, but you could be covered under the cancel for any reason at 70% coverage.

I generally wait until final payment as I have no pre-existing conditions that will cause my cruise to cancel, and if something pops up in that timeframe I'll probably cancel anyway (at least that's how I look at it). .

Yeah me too. I am kind of gambling I guess, but neither DH, I or DD have any known health concerns. I figure that prior to final payment, I can just cancel the cruise itself. After final payment, I have bought insurance on most of our trips. I try to pick one that has cancel for "work reasons" as medical reasons (which will probably be covered anyway) and work reasons are really the only reason we would cancel.

I get it because I'm paranoid... LOL. I know the time I don't, the luggage will be lost or someone will get sick and need treatment ...

From when I spoke with a rep just yesterday, it doesn't usually cover things like them missing a port or something like that ... that issue is on the ship to rectify if they can, but there are disclaimers everywhere since they cannot control the weather.

Happy planning!