Anyone else getting Curacao replaced with Bonaire?

ferfoodle

Was doing a random check on prices on the Pride Re-positioning cruise next March and couldn't pull it up. I logged into my booking and noticed that Bonaire has replaced Curacao on our sailing. I know the two 11 day cruises on the Triumph in October 2015 and January 2016 are also going there.

I was looking forward to Curacao, but I am already super excited to go to Bonaire as I hear it has some of the best snorkeling (diving for divers) that can be found.

I wonder if any of the 8 day cruises that hit Aruba and Curacao will be subbing some sailings to Bonaire as well. Anyone else check their cruises or been notified of a change?

I just looked at my booking for March 15/15 and mine has Bonaire listed instead of Curacao. We have been to Curacao, and while we enjoyed it, we're anxious to get to go somewhere we haven't been yet. AND the snorkeling is supposed to be amazing on Bonaire !

This is interesting news, with a post recently questionng why no one goes to Bonaire. Having been to Curaçao, it would probably be a welcome change, having never been there.

I'm curious to hear from those have been to both.

We are on the Sunshine March 2015 Southern Caribbean and our cruise also just got changed. We have never been to either port. Can someone who has been to both give us their opinion of is this an improvement, a downgrade, or equivalent for someone who has never been to either port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We took a HAL cruise a few years ago that went to all 3 ABC islands. Bonaire was our favorite with Curaçao coming in second place and Aruba running a distant third. Bonaire is still unspoiled by the hoardes of tourists that the other 2 islands get. While there we went drift snorkeling on a private excursion. It was amazing!!

Carnival should have a cruise that just goes to the A-B-C islands.

Where do I sign up??

Different islands sure would be nice. Hopefully these re-deploys will open up some to additional (somewhat regular) stops for ships. I bet they could add a ship to San Juan (in season) just for stops like this.

Visited Bonaire on my last cruise and it is officially now my favorite... I cannot imagine anything else topping Bonaire ;)

I should have mentioned that I visited Curaco (years ago) and it too is a lovely island. It's just something about Bonaire that makes it seem that you are truly on a small island in the Caribbean. A very small quaint Dutch island that I would love to spend a week at ;)

Edited by lmitchell6195

Visited Bonaire on my last cruise and it is officially now my favorite... I cannot imagine anything else topping Bonaire ;)

Just got an email from CCL indicating the change to Bonaire.

We loved Curacao.

What is so special about Bonaire? TIA

Curacao replaced with Bonaire on our March Sunshine cruise. Not sure what to think as I haven't been to either stop. Hmmmm...

If I were you, I would say wow, I am going to someplace new I have never been to before. But that's just my view on cruising.;)

Edited by jimbo5544

Bonaire was substituted for Curacao on our HAL cruise in March 2011. We were happy because of Bonaire's reputation as a snorkel heaven. We did a private drift snorkel excursion along the reef east of Klein Bonaire-- the reef was unimpressive, the water too deep to see much, and we were snorkeling in a cloud of tiny box jellies that pricked like needles the entire time. Not so much fun.

Folks that had also been on our drift snorkel also shore snorkeled within yards of the ship, and said the experience was as good or better, though there were still abundant jellies.

I think I would file this under BAD ADVICE 101.

A switch from Grand Caymon to Jamaica, or for St. Thomas to Tortola, just because the passenger hasn't been to either is not a happy swap JUST for that reason.

Having sailed to Curaçao on that old rust bucket Destiny, we we very happy with this stop, with the colorful downtown area, as well as our follow up beach visit, which rivaled the good side of Aruba.

The only thing I have ever heard about Bonaire is snorkeling. That in itself is not a draw. And some snorklers don't even rave about it.

What is the reason behind this switch?

The only info the letter I got from Carnival states

"Due to operational considerations we have replaced our call to Curacao with a visit to Bonaire"

That sounds like it is something within their control so it seems like it would be covered under their cancellation policy. We've got to decide today what to do...

Edited by john1701d

If I were you, I would say wow, I am going to someplace new I have never been to before. But that's just my view on cruising.;)

Jimbo, I have to agree with you... a new place to visit, though Curacao is definitely a pretty island. But hey, it gives me the opportunity to see if I want to come back to it again.

Steve

For the folks posting here about this port change, are you booked on a cruise that was scheduled to stop at Curacao that is now changed to Bonaire, you've been contacted directly by Carnival about the change?

That is correct. They posted a PDF file in the email that identifies the change.

Jimbo, I have to agree with you... a new place to visit, though Curacao is definitely a pretty island. But hey, it gives me the opportunity to see if I want to come back to it again.

Steve

I have been to neither and would love the opportunity to go to either one as well, but that's just me.

As much as I'd love to go to either port (or pretty much any cruise), I understand being disappointed about a change. When I start thinking about a particular cruise, I plan what I'm going to do in each port first. Looking forward to specific ports and port activities is a big part of the anticipation for some cruisers.