How to avoid being obsessive about checking?

canadarocks

So if I book a cruise to Alaska if there are any price reductions before I pay the final payment I will be able to get the reduction if I ring the TA immediately. Is that right?

After the final payment you can't get any reduction. Is that right?

Not everyone has the same experience but generally it's what you wrote.

If your reservation has a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit that may affect your ability to get a lower price even before final payment. Some have posted they were able to get a refund, OBC or an upgrade after final payment. But this seems to vary & could be affected by the Princess agent you or your TA talk to about it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Not everyone has the same experience but generally it's what you wrote.

If your reservation has a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit that may affect your ability to get a lower price even before final payment. Some have posted they were able to get a refund, OBC or an upgrade after final payment. But this seems to vary & could be affected by the Princess agent you or your TA talk to about it.

I have to be the most obsessive. :(

Just my luck if I changed everything around to make a wed departure in 2015 the sat departures will be the cheapest. One TA thinks I am crazy - the price is the price.

I am so pleased I am not alone. :)

From the sound of it most of you book early and then wait obsessively???

Edited by paddingtonbear

I must admit I check daily, sometimes more than once. Today our cruise price dropped. We saved $200 and received $200 in OBC. This is the 2nd price drop this month. We are in a MA minisuite. It does pay to be obsessive. Lol

I check frequently even if I am not booked so if it gets cheap enough I can book. Once I book I continue to check because usually I can get an OBC. Most of the time my price is so good it never gets beaten but ill let them pay for my sail away drinks if the price goes down.

WHAT??????? I have NEVER heard of this on any of the lines I have sailed -- NCL (1x); RCCL and X (too many times to count) -- should I forget trying Princess as it is currently a serious contender for our next cruise.

Sorry, do you mean you've never heard of price reductions, or is it upgrades that surprise you?

Price reductions are fairly common with Princess, as long as your booking isn't past final payment. Involuntary upgrades less so. In almost 20 cruises on Princess I have never received an upgrade that I didn't like and never been given an upgrade when I said no upgrade. Just my experience...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You must have a good TA!

I'm not seeking business, but simply here to defend independent, home-based TAgents like myself. Just as she said.......her agent makes the changes she wants quickly. When I have a client looking to book, or have a client or myself that I've booked, or looking to book for myself I look 3x a day. In the morning with my coffee, mid afternoon and around 10 pm at night. If anyone's price drops I "re-fare" the trip.....if a good fare comes along for myself or a client then I send out a email immediately. Many, many times I have found fares that have dropped at 10 pm at night. Nothing feels quite as good as phoning your client the next morning and telling them the good news. There are some online agency's that don't monitor price reductions, but getting yourself a good TA that really cares about your business puts money in your pocket.

Gosh, using a TA does not mean you are not still in full control. My TA makes any changes I want quite quickly ... quicker than I could do it myself and way less trouble for me. :)

LuLu

My TA subscribes to a service that constantly checks prices, If there is a drop we get it without any checking by us. A GOOD TA is worth his/her weight in gold.

I check regularly too. Not quite sure why though. Here in Australia we just about never get any price reductions, no matter what the sale...

After 30 Princess Cruises I've never had my cabin changed involuntarily and probably neither have 99.9% of the passengers.

I've had princess change my cabin on at least three cruises.

I wouldn't presume to know the percentage of passengers that

this has happened to...

Have had mine changed on at least three times recently. All upgrades, one great, two I asked for my original cabin back and got it.

I check daily for price drops too. Travel agents I use take care of it right away.Glad I am not the only one who does it. Sometimes the price drop is only a day or two then goes back up (when Princess sells enough cabins in that period).

Have had mine changed on at least three times recently. All upgrades, one great, two I asked for my original cabin back and got it.

I check daily for price drops too. Travel agents I use take care of it right away.Glad I am not the only one who does it. Sometimes the price drop is only a day or two then goes back up (when Princess sells enough cabins in that period).

San diego sue, Where do you check for price drops, please?

We booked a cruise on the GRAND for Alaska in August in a WS, about 5 months ago. The price has not gone up or down one cent since we made the reservation. Nor have any additional WS's sold. However, our cruise on the ALLURE OF THE SEAS in a Crown Loft SUite ( two stories..two bathrooms..balcony..500+ sf)has gone down 4 times for a total of $1300.00 in savings, to a price substantially LOWER than the WS. C'mon PRINCESS...throw me a bone! In all seriousness, I'm happy with the price I paid or I wouldn't have paid it in the first place.

I check all the time too and have never had a price drop I could take advantage of. Seems like every time the price drops, the solo supplement goes up, so it's never a deal I can take advantage of.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Go to the Princess web site and follow the path to make a new booking. You can then see current pricing.

After you do that, save the cruise and it makes it easier to go back to it to check. Does not affect your booked cruise. On your my Princess page you will see saved cruise on left, just click it, hit the upgrade price button, and if you see cheaper rate for your class call Princess and they will make change to cheaper rate. Easy. ;)

Edited by philv

Just going thru the process of booking with a US TA.

If I am after a cabin on a particular side of the ship should I go for a particular cabin or forget the side and go for a guarantee of a particular type of cabin. I am guessing the guarantee always gives you a better price, is that right?

Sorry, do you mean you've never heard of price reductions, or is it upgrades that surprise you?

Price reductions are fairly common with Princess, as long as your booking isn't past final payment. Involuntary upgrades less so. In almost 20 cruises on Princess I have never received an upgrade that I didn't like and never been given an upgrade when I said no upgrade. Just my experience...

thanks for the responses

No, I was referring to a poster talking about having their cabin changed after booking a specific one, even if they said, no upgrade.

After 30 Princess Cruises I've never had my cabin changed involuntarily and probably neither have 99.9% of the passengers. So I highly recommend that you still consider Princess which I prefer over NCL and RCCL but someday would like to try Celebrity. I believe that all cruise lines have in their contracts the ability to change cabins although what criteria the cruise lines use is anybody's guess!

Whether it's my cabin assignment or a flight I like to be proactive & to check regularly. I think it's much more likely that a flight would be change involuntarily and sometimes the alternative routing is not what I desire. In such situations I've found the airlines are willing to change to a routing I prefer but with limited alternatives I like to find out about changes ASAP.

thanks -- makes me feel better, I think.

Just going thru the process of booking with a US TA.

If I am after a cabin on a particular side of the ship should I go for a particular cabin or forget the side and go for a guarantee of a particular type of cabin. I am guessing the guarantee always gives you a better price, is that right?

If you want a specific side, you will need to select a specific cabin and have it marked "will not accept upgrade" as an upgrade could be to either side.

A GTY gives you exactly the same price as if you booked a specific cabin in the same category of the GTY. Only if the cabin assigned is in a higher category would you have saved any money.

If it is entertaining for you to be obsessive, then be obsessive. It's just another form of gambling. :)

Personally, I just set a price in my head and when I find it, I go for it and then I am done with that on and go on to look for the next one.

Edited by PunkiC