Room service breakfast tipping etiquette?

samchico

Have the tip ready as we have always found the Room Service Stewards bring the tray and do not linger seeming to be waiting for a tip. They always move right along out the door so we have the tip in hand when we open the door for him. :)

Thanks :) Just to clarify, this is in addition to the daily gratuity fee which will be on our bill yes?

Yes,. The tips people are referring to are small cash gratuities you hand to the room service steward when he or she brings your meal.

Are you saying that Room Service Stewards are not included in the daily hotel charge.

I have always tipped them but assumed that I was tipping them extra.

I'm afraid us Aussies will never understand this tipping hierachy.

Don't feel bad. I'm an American and while I *think* the room service stewards participate in the pooled tips, but I am fully prepared to be wrong. :)

I don't see where the linked information indicates that those who deliver room service aren't sharing in the hotel service charge. The phrasing "such as" indicates that there are other groups that serve passengers directly; the info provides a couple of examples but not all.

i'm with Stratheden, here we tip for exceptional service not for someone just doing their job. I understand wages in US are much less than here hence the tipping culture but we just don't have that culture here.

To me the Gratuity fee we will be charged ($48 a day!) is already excessive, I can't image the service is going to be that spectacular to warrant so much more but I guess time will tell maybe it will be.

In my mind a tip is a reward for good work but having this auto fee I can't imagine why the crew would want to do their best if they know the $$ are just coming anyway....

I have also heard tipping in the wrong place can be insulting to staff so I am lost, when to when not to. Don't want to upset anyone

Edited by DeeBee76
add

I don't see where the linked information indicates that those who deliver room service aren't sharing in the hotel service charge. The phrasing "such as" indicates that there are other groups that serve passengers directly; the info provides a couple of examples but not all.

OK, I yield.

On DCL and Carnival, Room Service is not included in the tips/gratuities. I can't find anywhere that specifically say it is or isn't included in the Hotel Service Charge on Holland America. I just figured it was the same.

OK, I yield.

On DCL and Carnival, Room Service is not included in the tips/gratuities. I can't find anywhere that specifically say it is or isn't included in the Hotel Service Charge on Holland America. I just figured it was the same.

no worries - it is included on HAL. I heard on a couple of the ships that the room service is a much wanted job because of the additional tips;)

To be clear, for the OP, it is NOT necessary - but ours has been very good so we do - it's a choice and there is no expectation of any tip:D

enjoy your cruise:D

It has always been my belief that everyone shared in the daily service charge - but I think a larger proportion of it goes to the room stewards. It has been a few cruises since we had that final "disembarkation talk", when it was all laid out for you. I kinda miss it! We used not to tip for room service - there never seems to be enough time to get something out, but since I have been subscribing to CC, I have learned to get $1 or $2 out when I make my order and have it nearby, and always get a big "thank you".

<snip>

In my mind a tip is a reward for good work but having this auto fee I can't imagine why the crew would want to do their best if they know the $$ are just coming anyway....

I have also heard tipping in the wrong place can be insulting to staff so I am lost, when to when not to. Don't want to upset anyone

A few good reasons why crew work their hardest regardless of automatic tipping or hotel service charge, as HAL terms it:

(a) personal pride in doing a good job

(b) peer pressure - their co-workers don't want to pick up their slack if they do not perform up to expected levels

© Desire for a new contract after their vacation. If the don't do a good job, why would the cruise line offer them more work?

I am sure others can add to this list. :)

<snip>

[/Quote]

Fear not.

Tipping a steward on any cruise ship will never be insulting to them. You should feel free to tip any bartender, dining or cabin steward or most any other (aside from an officer) that you may wish to tip.

Here is how my DH and I feel about the extra tipping - we are blessed to be able to afford to cruise. We live in Canada, have good careers, a nice home and are comfortable. We havent had to,leave our homeland and our families to be able to afford to educate them and provide a better standard of life for them. So we tip extra - always.

... I have learned to get $1 or $2 out when I make my order and have it nearby, and always get a big "thank you".

I'm glad you posted this. I was trying to figure out what amount would be 'appropriate', (granted that is in the eye of the beholder I suppose). I know if I get a pizza delivered, I usually give $5-$6 bucks, a tad more if my budget allows. (I figure 20% is worthy for the guys/gals, since so many places just give them a flat hourly now....which ticks me off since they still charge a 'delivery fee'....give that fee to the drivers you bastiches, haha...rant off).

But I couldn't figure out how much for room service. If a couple/few bucks is acceptable, then that works out good. I prefer not to go broke, but still want to show my appreciation as well.

Here is how my DH and I feel about the extra tipping - we are blessed to be able to afford to cruise. We live in Canada, have good careers, a nice home and are comfortable. We havent had to,leave our homeland and our families to be able to afford to educate them and provide a better standard of life for them. So we tip extra - always.

What a wonderful way to look at it!

We always give the room service person a tip too.

We usually give $1 or $2 and it is always appreciated. As the others have stated its totally up to you where you do it or not but be quick as they are not lingering with a hand out expecting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We usually give $1 or $2 and it is always appreciated. As the others have stated its totally up to you where you do it or not but be quick as they are not lingering with a hand out expecting anything.

It's part of my end of day routine to put the breakfast tip on the bar or counter closest to the door. It's almost always $2 for us. As DW mentioned, the room service waiter is usually in and out pretty quick. That's why we set the tip out somewhere we can quickly reach it on the way to answer the door.

It's part of my end of day routine to put the breakfast tip on the bar or counter closest to the door. It's almost always $2 for us. As DW mentioned, the room service waiter is usually in and out pretty quick. That's why we set the tip out somewhere we can quickly reach it on the way to answer the door.

totally agree with this - I have ours in a drawer handy so we can pull it out quickly for unexpected stuff (not the safe) and for breakfast I set it on the table or where the key card goes so it is handy. The steward do not definitely have their hands out or expect it - so you need to be quick:D