Do you need a credit card to cruise?

jb456

First I want to thank all of you for your previous help. We did our first cruise a couple months ago on Celebrity Constellation and it was fantastic! We caught the bug :-)

We are now planning our 2nd cruise but the problem is we have a friend that wants to join but is "overly" protective with her credit card.

In her case it's understandable as a few years ago she had her identity stolen by a roommate and it took months to resolve with financial institutions. Now she holds on to things tightly to the point where if she uses her credit card she calls the issuer first to allow the transaction.

She wants to go on the cruise but is only willing to pay the trip with her card. She will not let them put it on file to pay for drinks, etc that she purchases on board.

So my question is does she absolutely need to give her card to cover the on board purchases?

Can she just go and pay the final bill with cash at the end of the trip? Or give a upfront cash deposit like $250 and get money back or pay more at end of trip depending on what her final bill is?

She will not go on the cruise if she needs to use her card.

Thank you,

Edited by jb456

First I want to thank all of you for your previous help. We did our first cruise a couple months ago on Celebrity Constellation and it was fantastic! We caught the bug :-)

We are now planning our 2nd cruise but the problem is we have a friend that wants to join but is "overly" protective with her credit card.

In her case it's understandable as a few years ago she had her identity stolen by a roommate and it took months to resolve with financial institutions. Now she holds on to things tightly to the point where if she uses her credit card she calls the issuer first to allow the transaction.

She wants to go on the cruise but is only willing to pay the trip with her card. She will not let them put it on file to pay for drinks, etc that she purchases on board.

So my question is does she absolutely need to give her card to cover the on board purchases?

Can she just go and pay the final bill with cash at the end of the trip? Or give a upfront cash deposit like $250 and get money back or pay more at end of trip depending on what her final bill is?

Thank you,

Hello JB456,

Your friend can use either cash or her debit card. However, with debit cards the cruise lines sometimes put a hold of several hundred dollars following the cruise to make sure the bill is paid.

Jonathan

Not sure where you're from, jb456, but here in Australia you can get travel cards that you can preload with money for trips. Australia Post, and also many the banks, provide them. American Express does too but only in certain currencies. These are safer than a regular credit/debit card in a couple of respects - they don't have your name on the card, and you choose how much you want to load onto the card. And you can top them up online fairly easily if required.

This might be a suitable solution for your friend. It's really just like having an electronic cash wallet.

Hello JB456,

Your friend can use either cash or her debit card. However, with debit cards the cruise lines sometimes put a hold of several hundred dollars following the cruise to make sure the bill is paid.

Jonathan

Thanks. I know she won't give them her debit card either. Whats the cash deposit amount she has to give? Is it a fixed amount?

She only wants to use cash. She asked if she can just pay per drink at the bars and not have any bill at the end of the trip. I had to explain to her that the boats are cashless and everything is charged to the room card.

Not sure where you're from, jb456, but here in Australia you can get travel cards that you can preload with money for trips. Australia Post, and also many the banks, provide them. American Express does too but only in certain currencies. These are safer than a regular credit/debit card in a couple of respects - they don't have your name on the card, and you choose how much you want to load onto the card. And you can top them up online fairly easily if required.

This might be a suitable solution for your friend. It's really just like having an electronic cash wallet.

Yes in Canada we have those prepaid cards as well but no idea what ones work. Some are for domestic, some online, some international. I know she won't go for that either due to not knowing if it will work or not and then shes stuck with money on a card.

All she wants to do is get on the boat and whatever the bill comes to pay cash or give them a deposit up front. Lets say $250 and if she gets near it then they cut her off till she deposits more money for more purchases. Is that possible?

I offered her to put everything on my card and just give me the cash to keep things simple but she won't.

She might be missing out on this trip lol

Edited by jb456

Most cruise lines do not accept these cards because of the lack of protection a merchant has in taking a card not assigned to an individual or tied to their bank account. And there is too much potential for fraud: someone using such a card to pay their bill on the final night could run straight to an ATM when disembarking the next morning and clean out the account before the ship's home office has processed the transaction.

Best thing for the OPs friend to do is simply make a cash deposit at the purser's desk shortly after boarding. Or if you really want to make her happy, have her give you her cash and then use your credit card in that amount to prepay the hotel service charge (if not done at booking) and buy OBC for her.

(EDIT: I guess I was typing but didn't post until after OP replied above)

Edited by fishywood

Use the credit card for cruise. At the end of the trip, cancel the card (or ask for new card w/different security code). Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also: either go online to bank and/or call them to turn on all charge alerts. She can then get texts or e-mails regarding every charge (and then change password). Still get new card when she returns.

OP your post #5 describes exactly the best course and what the practice is. A cash deposit is put down and as it declines further arrangements are made at the guest relations desk (after standing in line, lol).

OP your post #5 describes exactly the best course and what the practice is. A cash deposit is put down and as it declines further arrangements are made at the guest relations desk (after standing in line, lol).

Excellent! Thanks for the help. I had no idea the answer but knew you helpful members would :-)

We only have done one cruise so far and just gave our card. Our friend will be very happy when we speak this evening.

Have a good day!

Yes in Canada we have those prepaid cards as well but no idea what ones work. Some are for domestic, some online, some international. I know she won't go for that either due to not knowing if it will work or not and then shes stuck with money on a card.

All she wants to do is get on the boat and whatever the bill comes to pay cash or give them a deposit up front. Lets say $250 and if she gets near it then they cut her off till she deposits more money for more purchases. Is that possible?

I offered her to put everything on my card and just give me the cash to keep things simple but she won't.

She might be missing out on this trip lol

Sure, depositing cash works - but more like a minimum of $100 per day up front. You would do your friend a favor by informing her of the protections a credit card offers: a limit of $50 exposure for fraudulent charges - she could get a special card to only use on the cruise ( and later ones if she gets to like cruising).

As a practical matter, she probably will run greater risks in the long run by carrying large amounts of cash around with her.

If you're doing a Celebrity cruise, they require anywhere from $200 to $300 in cash, that is put "on account". The amount is dependent on the length of the cruise. Once you get near to using up that amount, they can put a freeze on the sign and sail card until more cash is added to the account. On the last morning, she'll have to stand in line at guest services to get a refund if she didn't spend all the cash.

Yes, she can post cash at the Purser's desk on every cruise line we've been on. However, remind her to carry a credit card with her just in case of any emergency. If a person becomes ill or injured or 'left behind' in a port, especially in a foreign country, getting help and getting home would be extremely difficult without one. Even if you have insurance, you sometimes have to pay up front and get reimbursed later by the insurance company.

Yes, she can post cash at the Purser's desk on every cruise line we've been on. However, remind her to carry a credit card with her just in case of any emergency. If a person becomes ill or injured or 'left behind' in a port, especially in a foreign country, getting help and getting home would be extremely difficult without one. Even if you have insurance, you sometimes have to pay up front and get reimbursed later by the insurance company.

Thanks. She will have her cards on her for the reasons you mentioned she just doesn't feel comfortable having her number floating around in a system for on board purchases. Understable considering what she went through.

Shes happy she can pay cash and lines waiting to do so are the least of her worries. After speaking with her she said once she boards she'll just give them $500 to put on her account and whatever is left she will collect on last day.

The cruise were looking at is only 4 nights so I doubt she will go over that amount.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by jb456

• 2 months later...
If you're doing a Celebrity cruise, they require anywhere from $200 to $300 in cash, that is put "on account". The amount is dependent on the length of the cruise. Once you get near to using up that amount, they can put a freeze on the sign and sail card until more cash is added to the account. On the last morning, she'll have to stand in line at guest services to get a refund if she didn't spend all the cash.

On Carnival they sent a check with the remaining balance back to me 3 days after I got home so you dont have to stand in line to get unused money back. Although I did have to stand in line to add more money to Sail/Sign card when I ran low.

Also do not use charge notifications / texts to phone as this can run up international roaming charges. Just leave cell phone in airplane mode for entire trip.

Do not use Debit card except for paying for the cruise.

Prepaid Debit cards may not work in some countries~ varies by issuer.

Cash may be in issue outside of touristy areas. Getting back change in foreign currency is common as they "dont have" change in US currency.

Credit cards are good to get a fair exchange rate. I like shopping in mexico and will usually charge in peso`s instead of worrying whether i haggled a good exchange rate from merchant.

Dont forget about the good old travelers check. But they are becomming less common.

Thank you,

her life will be INFINITELY easier of she leaves the number on file and then pays it off with cash at the end.

they WILL have her number regardless as it WILL be on file for having used it to pay for the cruise

Depending on the cruse line, if she goes cash only on board she will be required to put as much as $100 a day up front on her account then stand in a VERY long line the last night or get up stupid early the next morning to get any leftover cash issued back to her.

We have those here in the US also, but most cruise lines will not accept the preloaded cards.

However, it is no problem to do a cash account on the ship. Can give them required amount, usually about $300, then add to it during the cruise as needed.

Sometimes the preload cards and some debit cards end up getting cancelled by bank due to some conflict if information the line used for processing payments

But as said above cash works well

Just watch your account that you don't overspend to what you have

They take not paying bills seriously and is easy to overspend