Opting out of the auto tip

On a cruise, tipping is customarily done on the last evening....not "as you go". With auto tip, the tipped folks don't GET the tips until the cruise is over, anyway, so you can make adjustments, if you feel the need.

By tipping as suggested, everyone gets their share and you don't have to worry about it!

You are right. I love having prepaid gratuities. It ends up just being included in the price of our cruise which is fine with me. I often give the staff extra $$$ for jobs well done!

We have only cruised once before and our 2nd cruise is in July (both with RC). Based on our first experience, we were going to pay our gratuities differently this time, but now having read most of this thread I'm not sure what to do, as there are so many conflicting views on what actually happens.

On Cruise 1, we did MTD, never sat at the same table twice, never had the same serving staff 2 nights running and never saw the Head Waiter once. Our stateroom assistant was fantastic. We had pre-paid our tips and distributed the gratuity slips at the end. We only had Euros with us (duh!! that is lesson no 1) but we put some extra in the stateroom assistant's envelope anyway. When it came to the restaurant staff, we obviously didn't have enough to give everyone that served us, a slip. We THOUGHT that meant that one pair of waiters got a weeks worth of tips for one nights work, and the other 6 nights staff didn't get anything, and so it seemed unfair. I assume now that we thought wrong?

So this time we are doing the set dining, and had opted to pay our gratuities at the end, in $$ (lesson learnt!). I checked on another link and I was told you still get the envelopes to use? When we booked the cruise, the RC operator asked why we wanted to pay them in cash, and I explained the reasons to her. She said she totally understood and had no problem with it. At no point did she tell me that the gratuities all go into one pool anyway and get distributed equally.

Are we just putting ourselves to a lot of trouble :confused::confused:?

For people who remove auto grats, how does RCCL know if you tipped anything?

Why in the world would anyone care if RCCL knew what someone tipped or did not tip?

And why in the world would anybody care if my aunt Betty knew what someone tipped or didn't tip?

Edited by DirtyDawg

We have only cruised once before and our 2nd cruise is in July (both with RC). Based on our first experience, we were going to pay our gratuities differently this time, but now having read most of this thread I'm not sure what to do, as there are so many conflicting views on what actually happens.

On Cruise 1, we did MTD, never sat at the same table twice, never had the same serving staff 2 nights running and never saw the Head Waiter once. Our stateroom assistant was fantastic. We had pre-paid our tips and distributed the gratuity slips at the end. We only had Euros with us (duh!! that is lesson no 1) but we put some extra in the stateroom assistant's envelope anyway. When it came to the restaurant staff, we obviously didn't have enough to give everyone that served us, a slip. We THOUGHT that meant that one pair of waiters got a weeks worth of tips for one nights work, and the other 6 nights staff didn't get anything, and so it seemed unfair. I assume now that we thought wrong?

So this time we are doing the set dining, and had opted to pay our gratuities at the end, in $$ (lesson learnt!). I checked on another link and I was told you still get the envelopes to use? When we booked the cruise, the RC operator asked why we wanted to pay them in cash, and I explained the reasons to her. She said she totally understood and had no problem with it. At no point did she tell me that the gratuities all go into one pool anyway and get distributed equally.

I have found the easiest way to pay the tips is to not think about it. Just pay whatever RCI sets as the recommended amount and if and only if someone goes the extra mile then and only then do we give anything extra.

I look at it as it is not up to me to determine how the tips get divided up. That is between RCI and the employees. It is more than likely very fairly distributed otherwise the employees would not stay.

Many less things for me to think about.

And we chose to point out that the OP is planning to shaft hard workers. As he said in his latest post when he said he had planned to tip the wait staff for only two nights. You may want to reread the posts. It is really quite clear if you use a little logic.

Interesting, since I am the OP and never said such a thing, perhaps you should reread the posts.

If you have set time dining, and have not pre paid your gratuities, then the standard amount of $12 per day will be added daily onto your on board account. If you really want to pay in cash, then you will have to cancel these and distribute the cash accordingly.

My own personal opinion is that if you feel that you cannot afford to tip the expected amount, then you cannot afford the cruise. Tips are a part of the overall cost of cruising. No matter what your own culture is regarding tipping, it is an expected expense when you are on a cruise. Budget for it, or choose a land based vacation in your own country where tipping is not expected.

Sorry to sound harsh, but I really dislike hearing about people who want to shaft the cruise ship workers who are busting their butts to give you a great vacation.

Note - my comment was directed at those sailing from non-tipping cultures, not at the OP.

If tipping is an overall cost of the cruise, then it ahould be added in the fare of the cruise. And RCCL should start paying decent salaries to their staff. They make enough money. The concept of tip, is optional, for great service. Something that is required is a charge, not a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have found the easiest way to pay the tips is to not think about it. Just pay whatever RCI sets as the recommended amount and if and only if someone goes the extra mile then and only then do we give anything extra.

I look at it as it is not up to me to determine how the tips get divided up. That is between RCI and the employees. It is more than likely very fairly distributed otherwise the employees would not stay.

Many less things for me to think about.

Agree. This is what we do. If we find someone who is outstanding we will tip them extra. If (and we have yet to find this) we find someone who fails at their job we will go to guest services and let them take care of it.

I am on vacation and don't want to spend the time thinking all day long hhmm do I tip this person, if so how much. The cruise line suggests a reasonable amount when looking at all the people it covers, just pay it and be done.

Edited by akcruz

If tipping is an overall cost of the cruise, then it ahould be added in the fare of the cruise. And RCCL should start paying decent salaries to their staff. They make enough money. The concept of tip, is optional, for great service. Something that is required is a charge, not a tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Until all cruise lines go this route it won't happen. You already hear all the time why is cruise line xx more than yyy. If one adds the tips in it will be even more skewed.

Start with calling it a service charge or something other than a tip.

I meant to say anyone not anything. People who remove auto grats don't want others to know they are cheapskates. The names of people who remove auto grats should be listed in the daily paper.

For people who remove auto grats, how does anyone on this board know anything? I always wonder when people say stuff like "A guy in a suite" (how do you know) "Was at guest services removing his tips" (how do you know???) "And service was fine and this was not warranted" (how do you know??????????) and ultimately HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY DID NOT TIP AN EQUAL OR LARGER AMOUNT IN CASH?

So many clairvoyants on this board and no one helping me pick my next stock purchase. Unbelievable! All that ability to see through space and time and it was wasted on knowing how strangers spend their money on vacation with absolute 100% solid certainty.

Edited by awhcruiser

Ourusualbeach, you have the right idea :) We think we have totally "over thought" this whole thing. We felt bad after the first cruise because we thought the system was very unbalanced and unfair, and some waiters got the other waiters share. Now that we understand properly how it works, and it all goes into one pot, however we pay, we will take the hassle free option.

I also think that they should call it a "service charge" because we are a world made up of countries who view tipping or gratuities from very different positions. It makes it a very emotive subject indeed ;)!

Gratuities will automatically be added to your account for each day, at the recommended rate, and unless you remove them, will be distributed presumably according to the RCCL formula. On our last cruise, there were no envelopes.

If you plan to give at least the recommended amount, just leave them on your account, and carry a few extra $$ if you feel the need to reward someone for going above and beyond.

It is fairly standard in the US to pool tips in one fashion or another. What's unusual is to tell the customer the formula used to split them...

On our last cruise we had the choice and I always opt out of auto tips. I prefer to tip as I go, but I can't remember how you opt out. We are sailing on the Allure in July, can someone refresh my memory on the process?

I assume you got more then you asked for with the answers you received. You didn't ask everyones opinion or how the tipping works. The answer to your question is simple, go to guest relations and they will remove the auto tips. Then do as you you see fit since it's your money to hand out as you see fit.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Interesting, since I am the OP and never said such a thing, perhaps you should reread the posts.

LOL...thanks for the reminder of exactly who the OP was. Everyone kinda turned on the poster from Australia at one point, and we forgot about your original question! These boards are insane... :cool:

I meant to say anyone not anything. People who remove auto grats don't want others to know they are cheapskates. The names of people who remove auto grats should be listed in the daily paper.

Very rude and totally uninformed response :mad:

Maybe more people should call and ask

Crown & Anchor would not know - they do not work directly with those onboard. I have worked onboard. I am very intimately familiar with this. If you tip in cash the person you tip absolutely MUST turn those tips into the pool (unless it is above and beyond the standard amount) and it will be divided equally. ANY crew member caught not doing so is subject to immediate termination as it is considered theft from the pool.

Many crew members will lie and tell you this is not true because they think you will tip less if you think it goes to the pool as opposed to going directly to them.

Yes you did. You said you would tip for two nights that you spend in the MDR completely ignoring the other nights you eat elsewhere. Unless, of course, you don't plan to eat anything on those other nights?

Yes you did. You said you would tip for two nights that you spend in the MDR completely ignoring the other nights you eat elsewhere. Unless, of course, you don't plan to eat anything on those other nights?

Maybe you should go back and re-read the thread. Feel free to quote the OP, and the post that discusses the two nights in the MDR.

It is reported by the people you tip. They re required, under threat of their employment, to report any and all cash tips. If it is above the suggested amount they keep the difference otherwise it goes into the pool. That is how it is tracked.

And we chose to point out that the OP is planning to shaft hard workers. As he said in his latest post when he said he had planned to tip the wait staff for only two nights. You may want to reread the posts. It is really quite clear if you use a little logic.

So you were or are a cruise line employee that you know this as absolute fact?

Actually he didn't say that, it was someone else.

As I said in my post, I know them personally and spend my entire cruise with them. They could me my friends or family, I don't just know these people from cruising. That was a stupid comment by you while I am making a point of something I am aware of first hand.

About as stupid as people assuming that those who have auto tips removed from their account are doing it just to short change the help.

Sometimes one has to be absurd to point out absurdity.

My apologies, I guess the term is HeadWaiter and things were not going smoothly.As I had stated we asked to speak to him and never saw him. We were not expecting him to be fawning over our table but we did expect him to do his job. However, we found it interesting that he was fawning ( your term) over all of his tables the last night when everyone had envelopes in their hands.On other cruises our Headwaiter greeted us every night at dinner and was very hands on. I guess I thought that was part of the job. Sounds like you know a lot about the job descriptions and requirements. It may be helpful to know what to really expect from each crew member. (And I mean that sincerely, no sarcasm intended.) My main point is that I feel I should have the right to determine how much I tip each person. I admit I base some of that on what I think is their job. That's why I would be happy to have more info regarding what I should expect. Thanks

Actually, back in the day when pre-labeled envelopes were handed out on the last night of the cruise, there was one for the Headwaiter AND the Maitre D'. If you hadn't met either of them before the 6th night of the cruise, you were guaranteed to have them introduce themselves on tip night.

On our recent Liberty cruise, the Headwaiter was very visible and very involved with the dining room operations. She stopped by our table 3 of the 4 nights to ask how things were going.

How do the people who don't auto tip keep track of everyone they tip and when?

About as stupid as people assuming that those who have auto tips removed from their account are doing it just to short change the help.

Sometimes one has to be absurd to point out absurdity.

So you were or are a cruise line employee that you know this as absolute fact?

As I have said multiple times on this board, I previously worked with Royal in several positions including onboard and shoreside at multiple levels. So yes, I know this as an absolute fact.

Haven't you learned yet that the Cruise Critic tipping police know what you are thinking better than you do?