Where do you get menus for scanning?

n0w0rn3v3r

Good Morning,

Where would one get a copy of the dinner menu to scan? I've often gone and asked to see the evening's menu and was handed, well, a menu. If I wanted a printed menu to take to my cabin, would I be given one?

Also, thank you to everyone who provides all this wonderful information. It has been tremendously helpful.

Vanetta

After my DW was told to eat gluten free, we learned that you ask for the next night's menu so you can make your choices. They give you a printed version of the menu, which you then mark. I began asking for a second copy, which I took back to the cabin in order to scan. If the main dining room is open for lunch the next day, you can also get a copy of the lunch menu. We just asked the dining steward for the menu.

Edited by Mtn2Sea

If you're in a suite you get it automatically, for most of us it's not so easy. I've uses several strategies:

1. On the Zaandam they were on display at lunch time in the lido. I have a very small computer and even smaller scanner. I just set up on the ledge where they were on display and scanned them.

2. I've tried on my roll call asking for people in suites to let me borrow their menus. That's only worked once (my 2011 Rotterdam TA) but it's worth a shot.

3. I've asked my waiter to give me copies. That's worked about half the time, on both of my Prinsendam cruises and on my Amsterdam World Cruise Segment.

4. Sometimes I've been completely unsuccessful. In those cases I take a photograph of the menu and use a print to pdf routine to produce what I post. That's happened a couple of times and the results vary a lot depending on lighting conditions and other factors.

Hope this helps.

Roy

Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with the "taking photos" option.

I didn't know that about the suites....probably because I have never sailed in a suite. But one never knows, someday I just might.

Happy sailing.

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can download an free app call 'camscanner'. You just take a photograph and the app will convert the picture to a pdf. You can then do what you upload, email, print etc. I have found it a very useful app to have on my phone when I travel. Not only is it good for scanning menus and dailies etc. it works really well when you are touring around. For example you are visiting a site and there is a sign with a detailed description of the site. You can scan the sign for further reference. Works much better than just taking a photograph as it works well eliminating the glare of the sun.

Rochelle

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can download an free app call 'camscanner'. You just take a photograph and the app will convert the picture to a pdf. You can then do what you upload, email, print etc. I have found it a very useful app to have on my phone when I travel. Not only is it good for scanning menus and dailies etc. it works really well when you are touring around. For example you are visiting a site and there is a sign with a detailed description of the site. You can scan the sign for further reference. Works much better than just taking a photograph as it works well eliminating the glare of the sun.

Rochelle

I need to look for that app - thanks for the reminder.

If you have a smart phone or tablet you can download an free app call 'camscanner'. You just take a photograph and the app will convert the picture to a pdf. You can then do what you upload, email, print etc. I have found it a very useful app to have on my phone when I travel. Not only is it good for scanning menus and dailies etc.

Camscanner also allows you to correct for perspective distortion. We've been using the paid version since 2011. That's like age of the dinosaurs in terms of smart phones.

Highly recommended.

I rarely have had any problem in getting the menus. I inform my Dining Room Steward (if I have fixed dining) that I want them at the start of the cruise. If I have Open Dining, I will ask the Steward for the menu at the end of the meal. I have had Stewards are initially reluctant (I think they think doing so will get them into trouble). But, a request to the Assistant Dining Room Manager by me (or the Dining Room Manager) always resolved the issue.

I used to ask that all of the menus be saved and given to me at the end of the cruise. But, I discovered that this is an imposition on the Stewards and is difficult for them to do this. Thus, taking the menus at the end of each meal insures I have a complete set and relieves the Steward of "one more thing to remember to do".

Good Morning,

Where would one get a copy of the dinner menu to scan? I've often gone and asked to see the evening's menu and was handed, well, a menu. If I wanted a printed menu to take to my cabin, would I be given one?

Also, thank you to everyone who provides all this wonderful information. It has been tremendously helpful.

Vanetta

We either wait to get them daily in the morning mail on board, when in a Neptune Suite or I arrange to get the entire week from the Hotel Director or the Executive Chef.

Hubby brings along our smail hand held scanner, scans them and then leaves them on the desk in our room when we leave the ship.

He may post more if he sees this thread, if he has time. He is at a reunion out of state and will not have much time between now and Monday morning.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

When in a suite, I get them delivered each day. All of the menus are also available in the the Neptune Lounge for scanning.

The Assistant MDR Manager can print them for you on cheaper paper if you ask him.

The Culinary Operations Manager gave me printed copies of all MDR and Lido (both lunch and dinner) for all of the Caribbean cruises for the 2013/2014 season.

Being nice to the crew can get you almost anything.

Hi

On my last cruise a woman at the table had a special diet the waiter brought her a next day menu each evening. So we all got a peek at what the menu was for next day.. I save the menu's and put them in my cruise book for that cruise.

I always do late seating.

Mary

Rochelle

Thanks for the tip, just used it to convert photos of our passports to pdf, and stored in IBooks! I've been trying to complete these tasks for some time, now,

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Forums