Toddlers in the mdr

If you have been reading these boards for any length of time you would know that no one here has ever had a child that had to be removed from the dining room or any restaurant due to misbehavior. Everyone here taught their children correctly and their kids have always behaved well from day 1.

I'm not exactly sure how all of these kids learned to behave if they never actually acted out and realized that consequences follow, but apparently they did. :D

Hey! I mentioned my failure here in this thread ;):D

Edited by Rufferto

We always took our children to restaurants from a very early age. However, when they were very young - and before we cruised - we would choose somewhere where we could easily take them for a little walk if they became fractious.

The only thing I would recommend is that you do MyTime Dining, so you can choose to dine at the best time for all of you and can easily get a table for 3 and that you request a table fairly close to the entrance so that if your little one plays up it's easy to take him/her out for a short time.

Planning on cruise in in 2016 Baby will be just over 2 years by then. Do you have any stories, pro or con about young children eating in the dining room

Just off the Explorer in April where we had a family with a toddler girl seated right next to us. They came fully prepared to entertain her, including a small portable DVD player. She was lovely and we looked forward to seeing how she was dressed every night :) We had the early seating, which we prefer, and I fully expect lots of families will be at that seating, it typically makes sense for a family to eat at that time.

I don't see how people can complain about kids at dinner, particularly during the early seating. You are on vacation, too. Why should you be relegated to the Windjammer every night, just because your child might make a sound? I say bring your kids to dinner! Now...if your child is having a meltdown, then perhaps the polite thing to do would be to take him/her to your cabin and order room service but that responsibility lays with the parents and is a different discussion for another time....LOL! The fact that you are asking indicates that you probably would do just that - or something similar.

If you have been reading these boards for any length of time you would know that no one here has ever had a child that had to be removed from the dining room or any restaurant due to misbehavior. Everyone here taught their children correctly and their kids have always behaved well from day 1.

I'm not exactly sure how all of these kids learned to behave if they never actually acted out and realized that consequences follow, but apparently they did. :D

If you correct their behavior when they act out AT HOME, they'll know that you won't tolerate them acting out IN PUBLIC.

if you have been reading these boards for any length of time you would know that no one here has ever had a child that had to be removed from the dining room or any restaurant due to misbehavior. Everyone here taught their children correctly and their kids have always behaved well from day 1.

I'm not exactly sure how all of these kids learned to behave if they never actually acted out and realized that consequences follow, but apparently they did. :d

:d:d:d

I don't see how people can complain about kids at dinner, particularly during the early seating. You are on vacation, too. Why should you be relegated to the Windjammer every night, just because your child might make a sound? I say bring your kids to dinner! Now...if your child is having a meltdown, then perhaps the polite thing to do would be to take him/her to your cabin and order room service but that responsibility lays with the parents and is a different discussion for another time

Again .... if you go back and read the thread ... the problem other passengers have is not kids making a noise .... it's the shrieking criers and screamers whose parents ignore the disruptive behavior that are the problem

We have had our little one in the mdr at 16 months, 26 months, 27 months, and 3 years. Never had a problem.

One time some of the neighboring tables were playing peek a boo with him when he was 16 months and he would scream, and then a table a little farther away screamed "could i get some quiet over there!!" Stopped the MDR cold. All the waiters stoped moving and there was dead silence. We picked him up and rushed him out.

We saw some people on the promenade later that evening from a neighboring table who talked to us saying how sorry they were that that happened and that they hoped we came back for the last night as they were always so impressed with what a good baby he was.( this was night 13/14 on a TA). The head waiter called our stateroom to apologize but we weren't there. The head waiter found my wife in the windjammer the next morning and apologized profusely and insisted we come back for the last night. He stated that the person was a complainer and had been rough on the waiters the whole voyage.

So we decided to go back for the last night to the MDR. The neighboring tables had bought gifts for my son from the gift shop and gave them to him. They even took pictures with him as he was now the section mascot and celebrity. Then the waiters brought him a cake to sing him happy birthday even though it wasn't his birthday as loud as they could just to aggravate the other passenger because they were so annoyed with him. It was almost something out of a movie how everyone came together for my son.

The lesson here is that if your son or daughter is well behaved and mistreated the other passengers and dinjng staff will go to bat for you.

Like! I love and totally agree with you regarding electronics at the dinner table. Good luck with your cruise.

I agree with you, however, we tried the crayons and playpacks and then the table cloths would get crayons on them, so we now use the ipad. Same concept (coloring) just without the mess. Imo as long as there is moderation. We do not let him use an ipad EXCEPT on vacation. Funny enough though, many top end schools advertise their ipad usage in the classroom heavily.

If you are against electronics that is your preference as a parent. There is no right or wrong answer.

We have had our little one in the mdr at 16 months, 26 months, 27 months, and 3 years. Never had a problem.

One time some of the neighboring tables were playing peek a boo with him when he was 16 months and he would scream, and then a table a little farther away screamed "could i get some quiet over there!!" Stopped the MDR cold. All the waiters stoped moving and there was dead silence. We picked him up and rushed him out.

We saw some people on the promenade later that evening from a neighboring table who talked to us saying how sorry they were that that happened and that they hoped we came back for the last night as they were always so impressed with what a good baby he was.( this was night 13/14 on a TA). The head waiter called our stateroom to apologize but we weren't there. The head waiter found my wife in the windjammer the next morning and apologized profusely and insisted we come back for the last night. He stated that the person was a complainer and had been rough on the waiters the whole voyage.

So we decided to go back for the last night to the MDR. The neighboring tables had bought gifts for my son from the gift shop and gave them to him. They even took pictures with him as he was now the section mascot and celebrity. Then the waiters brought him a cake to sing him happy birthday even though it wasn't his birthday as loud as they could just to aggravate the other passenger because they were so annoyed with him. It was almost something out of a movie how everyone came together for my son.

The lesson here is that if your son or daughter is well behaved and mistreated the other passengers and dinjng staff will go to bat for you.

Wow, this is one of my favorite stories ever. That is awesome.

I'm a big believer in teaching children proper behavior for restaurants. So, in that spirit, they should be welcome in MDR. As in any restaurant, Chili's to a fancy steak place, I don't condone children running wild. If the parents don't plan activities and ways to keep the kids busy and let them instead run amok, shame on those parents.

I feel very sorry for the children who are taken to the MDR for the 2nd seating, and then fall asleep in their chairs. I have no respect for their parents.

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The solution for us is royal tots during dinner time :D:D:D

We actually had the idea the entire time of planning up until the last week or so to take our son to dinner with us. He has been in restaurants since about 3 weeks old. He is very calm and just stares people down. BUT, until the last week or so, our calm child will not sit still in a high chair and the sound that comes out of that cute little mouth drives ME nuts. Royal Tots it is for all but one formal night (you can only book 1 formal night sitting) Hopefully that night he decides to behave otherwise he'll be walking the halls with his father while I enjoy my lobtser;)

I agree with you, however, we tried the crayons and playpacks and then the table cloths would get crayons on them, so we now use the ipad. Same concept (coloring) just without the mess. Imo as long as there is moderation. We do not let him use an ipad EXCEPT on vacation. Funny enough though, many top end schools advertise their ipad usage in the classroom heavily.

If you are against electronics that is your preference as a parent. There is no right or wrong answer.

I guess it's a matter of upbringing. We were taught not to play at the table during meal time. Does your child use earphones? I have no desire to hear the output on anyone's electronic device, at any time. Least of all, while trying to have dinner with my family/friends.

The solution for us is royal tots during dinner time :D:D:D

We actually had the idea the entire time of planning up until the last week or so to take our son to dinner with us. He has been in restaurants since about 3 weeks old. He is very calm and just stares people down. BUT, until the last week or so, our calm child will not sit still in a high chair and the sound that comes out of that cute little mouth drives ME nuts. Royal Tots it is for all but one formal night (you can only book 1 formal night sitting) Hopefully that night he decides to behave otherwise he'll be walking the halls with his father while I enjoy my lobtser;)

Good for you! It's great that you're so considerate of the others around you. I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

Edited by yj2cute

I personally think they should have a section reserved for families with children under the age of 13. Especially for the late seating.

I was just off the Oasis and we sat beside a family with 2 children under the age of 4 who were forced to endure an hour long dinner after 8:30 pm, they were tired, cranky and loud. It wasn't fair to them or to everyone else that had to sit around them and listen to it throughout dinner.

I understand the kids paid too but so did the rest of us.

I personally think they should have a section reserved for families with children under the age of 13. Especially for the late seating.

I was just off the Oasis and we sat beside a family with 2 children under the age of 4 who were forced to endure an hour long dinner after 8:30 pm, they were tired, cranky and loud. It wasn't fair to them or to everyone else that had to sit around them and listen to it throughout dinner.

I understand the kids paid too but so did the rest of us.

They should also make a section for loud, cranky adults too.

Again .... if you go back and read the thread ... the problem other passengers have is not kids making a noise .... it's the shrieking criers and screamers whose parents ignore the disruptive behavior that are the problem

Understood. But that first shriek or cry or scream still has to be made, no? Or maybe even several shrieks before a parent can get themselves and/or the child together and out of there or settled down (or whatever tactic they take) and you know folks will bristle at that very first sound without even giving parents a chance to take care of the situation. Thus the "aren't there any areas without children" questions. Some folks don't want to see or hear children AT ALL.

I'd happily sit there if I didn't have to listen to the screaming children. :D

We have not had issues will loud children in the MDR on any of our cruises. We have been luckier than you in that regards I guess. We have had our share of very loud, ill mannered adults though. The worst was a loud mouth woman who tucked her napkin into the collar of her shirt or her bra, depending on the neckline, and just shoveled food into her face as she talked non-stop. She refused the waiters assistance in taking the tails off her shrimp because she could do it quicker by shoving the shrimp into her mouth and use her teeth to scrape off the shell. The poor waiter didn't know what to say as she cackled at him as she kept demonstrating. We had our table moved after that since she was just sickening.

Lets hope we both end up with better tables in the future.:)

the problem may be with some using an ipad to play a movies and that not sitting well with those around you. its just to play games on silent mode i dont see an issue.

Edited by Harooni

Understood. But that first shriek or cry or scream still has to be made, no? Or maybe even several shrieks before a parent can get themselves and/or the child together and out of there or settled down (or whatever tactic they take) and you know folks will bristle at that very first sound without even giving parents a chance to take care of the situation. Thus the "aren't there any areas without children" questions. Some folks don't want to see or hear children AT ALL.

Those people are idiots and would never be happy on a cruise no matter what, so no point even discussing them.

All reasonable people know where the line is between normal fussy kid noise and a meltdown that is disruptive of everyone's dinner.

I guess it's a matter of upbringing. We were taught not to play at the table during meal time. Does your child use earphones? I have no desire to hear the output on anyone's electronic device, at any time. Least of all, while trying to have dinner with my family/friends.

Neither do I, but I hear loud obnoxious adults and drunk adults all the time.

It is actually silent, as most of the games are puzzles or drawing programs or matching programs.

I suppose you were a perfect child as well, and never cried or had a temper tantrum in public and were totally perfect all the time. I am sure you sat perfectly still never interacting with anyone or playing any basic game, electronic or not, never had a crayon, never sang a silly song, or were played peek a boo with or pat a cake.

Never vied for your parents attention to show them something, and bugged them continously till you did. I am glad your parents cracked the great parenting mystery. They should write a book. They could make millions.

On our Freedom cruise there was the most adorable year old boy. The waiters and all the tables around him enjoyed the family. One of the nights was his birthday and almost everyone sang to him. As long as the kids are not running around or screaming you will not have a problem. The staff go out of their way to be nice to the children.

We've cruised with DD 2.5 yr old and they do provide crayons and stuff but after she's has her meal she is done ready to go... so we have to resort to the iphone, but since there is no internet that only lasts a bit too ( should have downloaded new games prior to boarding) ... our food took a while every time

I don't like screaming kids around me so I don't let my DD make any noise as well but it happens sometimes

In all honesty I would be happy if they carve out a kid only section in the MDR .. I wouldn't mind seating around other families with kids rather than some stuffed up peeps that need a chill pill

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app