1st NCL Cruise

My wife and I, along with another couple are taking the NCL Jewel in September for the 7-day Alaska, Seattle to Vancouver. My wife and I have taken this cruise 2 years ago but on HAL and we are new to NCL. I have a number of questions, most of which I have seen in previous posts but are a bit outdated.

We are staying in Seattle for 2 nights prior to departure. We have been to Seattle a number of times (have family there) and just love this city. On our last cruise we sailed from Pier 91 which was a pretty good experience. We are in a Penthouse Suite and don't really want to stand in line too long (wife has trouble with that physically). Would showing up around 1030 am be too early, or would it be better to wait longer?

I have read a lot of posts about cabins and food. We are in cabin 10164 aft facing SF Penthouse Suite and are looking forward to it. We do love the aft facing cabins (had one on the Valor a few years ago) and chose this one in particular because of the cruise we are on. The other couple that is going along with us will be on deck 11 in an aft mini suite. What sucks is that they are not eligible for the Cagney's dining for breakfast and lunch. Will we be able to order room service from Cagney's for breakfast or lunch for the 4 of us? Also, what does the butler do for you...within reason? Does anyone have any recent photo's or video of this cabin that they would be willing to share?

Several years ago my wife and I took a helicopter tour in Hawaii and loved it. The prices for this through NCL are pretty expensive (once in a lifetime though) - does anyone have any recommendations for finding this on our own, and which port would be the best for this type of excursion?

Lastly, we have chosen the option of driving from Vancouver back to Seattle for our flight home. Our flight leaves at 3:10 pm...I have taken this drive before but it has been about 7 years ago. I am assuming that we can disembark fairly early if we need to. We are only checking 1 bag per couple, and could easily carry our bags off if needed. Any thoughts? National Car Rental has an office at the airport in Vancouver, as well one at Canada Place but I cannot seem to make a reservation at that office. I noticed that there is light rail/subway that will connect to the airport from Canada Place - is this fairly easy with someone who has some mobility challenges? She can walk, just not really long distances or inclines very well.

Well...that is a lot of stuff - I appreciate everyone who contributes here. Every time we have cruised I have done some research here...lots of good info.

When we did our Alaska cruise, the amount of information we got on the Alaska board here on Cruise Critic was invaluable. You may find the answers to some of your questions there. If not, a perfect place to ask.

Too bad you do not have time to spend a couple days in Vancouver, which is absolutely beautiful. If you decide not to drive, the Amtrack Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle would be an option, but if flying home the same day as debarkation, this would probably not work out. There are also a couple of shuttle services, I believe.

We did a flightseeing tour in Juneau with Wings Airways, called Taku Lodge Feast and Five Glacier Seaplane. It was the highlight of our trip. You can checkout the reviews on Trip Advisor. Pricey but worth every penny. After the flight over the glaciers we did a water landing on the Taku River in front of the Taku Lodge where they cooked fresh salmon over an outdoor grill. There is an actual glacier right across the river from the lodge. Nice view with our dinner. You'll probably have bears visit in September, it was too early when we were there. The best meal we had on the entire trip. Check out their website.

You can do the short glacier only flyover, or the hours long trip which includes the flyover plus the lodge. Got back in plenty of time to walk around Juneau for a bit and then back to the ship.

I believe this tour is listed in the excursions offered by the ship. I can't remember which way we booked it. But in general, you are safe to book through outside vendors. They will not risk their reputations by getting someone left behind.

Edited by punkincc

I was on the same cruise with PunkinCC - I did a flightseeing Misty Fjords trip with Island Wings in a small plane - that was awesome and I highly recommend Island Wings.

I also got TONS of info pre-trip in the Alaska section of this board.

"Lastly, we have chosen the option of driving from Vancouver back to Seattle for our flight home. Our flight leaves at 3:10 pm...I have taken this drive before but it has been about 7 years ago. I am assuming that we can disembark fairly early if we need to. We are only checking 1 bag per couple, and could easily carry our bags off if needed."

I could be mistaken - but this seems fairly tight. I think it takes about 3 hours to drive from Van to Seattle. That doesn't take into consideration bottle neck traffic in Vancouver (which can be nasty) and delays at the border crossings which have been rather long at times, nor does it take into consideration possible delays disembarking (that are often beyond the control of NCL). So many variables...

I was on the same cruise with PunkinCC - I did a flightseeing Misty Fjords trip with Island Wings in a small plane - that was awesome and I highly recommend Island Wings.

I also got TONS of info pre-trip in the Alaska section of this board.

Hi, Dorothy!:).

Bill, be sure to sign up for you sailing's Roll Call on that forum. You can get some good tips there as well, and get to know your fellow cruisers in advance.

My wife and I, along with another couple are taking the NCL Jewel in September for the 7-day Alaska, Seattle to Vancouver. My wife and I have taken this cruise 2 years ago but on HAL and we are new to NCL. I have a number of questions, most of which I have seen in previous posts but are a bit outdated.

We are staying in Seattle for 2 nights prior to departure. We have been to Seattle a number of times (have family there) and just love this city. On our last cruise we sailed from Pier 91 which was a pretty good experience. We are in a Penthouse Suite and don't really want to stand in line too long (wife has trouble with that physically). Would showing up around 1030 am be too early, or would it be better to wait longer?

I have read a lot of posts about cabins and food. We are in cabin 10164 aft facing SF Penthouse Suite and are looking forward to it. We do love the aft facing cabins (had one on the Valor a few years ago) and chose this one in particular because of the cruise we are on. The other couple that is going along with us will be on deck 11 in an aft mini suite. What sucks is that they are not eligible for the Cagney's dining for breakfast and lunch. Will we be able to order room service from Cagney's for breakfast or lunch for the 4 of us? Also, what does the butler do for you...within reason? Does anyone have any recent photo's or video of this cabin that they would be willing to share?

Several years ago my wife and I took a helicopter tour in Hawaii and loved it. The prices for this through NCL are pretty expensive (once in a lifetime though) - does anyone have any recommendations for finding this on our own, and which port would be the best for this type of excursion?

Lastly, we have chosen the option of driving from Vancouver back to Seattle for our flight home. Our flight leaves at 3:10 pm...I have taken this drive before but it has been about 7 years ago. I am assuming that we can disembark fairly early if we need to. We are only checking 1 bag per couple, and could easily carry our bags off if needed. Any thoughts? National Car Rental has an office at the airport in Vancouver, as well one at Canada Place but I cannot seem to make a reservation at that office. I noticed that there is light rail/subway that will connect to the airport from Canada Place - is this fairly easy with someone who has some mobility challenges? She can walk, just not really long distances or inclines very well.

Well...that is a lot of stuff - I appreciate everyone who contributes here. Every time we have cruised I have done some research here...lots of good info.

A couple of things:

(1) Norwegian sails from Pier 66- downtown next to the Edgewater Hotel behind

Anthony's Bell Street Diner. Depending on how long it takes to clear the previous

cruise, 10:30 A.M. should be fine.

(2) Vancouver- you may not be docking at Canada Place. The Pearl docked at

Bellentyne Place a couple of days ago. Not very much there. Do not know if

you can rent a car or not there. Have you thought about taking the train to

Seattle?

We thought about the train, but our flight leaves Seattle too early for the ride back.

Can you buy a transportation package from Norwegian? They might have something going from the ship to the airport in Seattle?

...We are in cabin 10164 aft facing SF Penthouse Suite and are looking forward to it. We do love the aft facing cabins (had one on the Valor a few years ago) and chose this one in particular because of the cruise we are on. The other couple that is going along with us will be on deck 11 in an aft mini suite. What sucks is that they are not eligible for the Cagney's dining for breakfast and lunch. ....

This would be a deal breaker for us. If you intend to spend time with them, I would consider saving the money and getting a smaller cabin. Spend it on a helo trip.

As said, visit the Alaska Boards. Many book the helo trip outside the ship.

You might also want to check the Bolt Bus schedules from Vancouver to Seattle to see if it will work for you. It picks up at the train station in Vancouver and terminates near the King St. train station in Seattle in the International District transit centre. From there you can hop a train or bus to SEATAC. Bolt Bus fares are pretty cheap and they are expedited across the border.

Edited by WintrHawk

You can have Cagney's brought into your suite by your butler for the 4 of you. The butler will also be the one bringing afternoon treats. If there are certain things you do or don't like, just let the butler know. They are very good at catering to your needs and wants. We had friends in a suite who always brought back pretzel rolls from the buffet to their suite. The butler noticed and started bring them some.

The Alaska board will help you find some independent excursion operators. We've always had great excursions with the independents who've been recommended.

Lastly, I wouldn't drive to Seattle. Amtrak has bus service that runs all the time. Personally, my preference would be to take the train back, spend the night in Seattle and fly out the next morning.

I was in 10164 on the Jewell last November, it is a great cabin. Not sure about the room service, but I'm sure if you ask the Butler, he will be able to work something out for you.

If there is something you want, just ask your Butler. If he can't do it, he will tell you.

Here is a video I found of the suite on the Pearl, but they are the same:

Edited by NLH Arizona

My wife and I, along with another couple are taking the NCL Jewel in September for the 7-day Alaska, Seattle to Vancouver.

Hi;

Are the mobility issues the reason for renting a car vs. say taking a shuttle bus?

Don't know what time you dock and will be able to disembark but that is too tight for me

The border crossing can have terrible delays especially heading south. The busses do not have to wait in the same line as the non-Nexus card holders. Well sometimes even the Nexus line can be slow.

According to one mapping, the drive right now from YVR to SEA is 3 hours. I would consider that to be great time. Perhaps a delay for you at the border having returned from a vacation (as you are now clearing customs back to USA). Allow time to unload and return the car, the time allowance to check in at SEA, clear security, get to the boarding area ahead of required time = what? 2hours?

How much time to disembark I wonder. If the ship is on time, clears straight-away so it can start disembarkation, no idea how fast they can get the first folks off and then you have to clear Canadian customs I assume. so allow 2 hours for all that from ship's scheduled arrival time to having feet on the ground, bags in hand heading to the rental car.

So 2 hours to disembark, 1/2 hour from Canada Place to YVR for the car (I'd rent the one at Canada Place and save the 1/2 hour), 1/2 to rent the car and get on your way, 3+ to drive YVR -> SEA, 1 hour extra for border (check you through from your vacation, allow 2 hour buffer if on a weekend), plus 2 hours at seatac to return the car and, clear security, get to boarding =

2 (disembark)+1(p/u car)+3(drive to SEA)+1(border buffer)+2(return car, check in a SEA)=9 hours

If the flight is leaving at 3:10 then 15:10-9=06:10. Is that when the ship is due to dock in YVR?

Even if I have allowed too much time (I prefer to not be an optimistic planner) it would be tight for me. Note I have not done this myself so those who have will hopefully post their actual experience. You might ask this on the Canada port board as well. There are some very helpful and experienced posters there.

When we did our Alaska cruise, the amount of information we got on the Alaska board here on Cruise Critic was invaluable. You may find the answers to some of your questions there. If not, a perfect place to ask.

Too bad you do not have time to spend a couple days in Vancouver, which is absolutely beautiful. If you decide not to drive, the Amtrack Cascades from Vancouver to Seattle would be an option, but if flying home the same day as debarkation, this would probably not work out. There are also a couple of shuttle services, I believe.

We did a flightseeing tour in Juneau with Wings Airways, called Taku Lodge Feast and Five Glacier Seaplane. It was the highlight of our trip. You can checkout the reviews on Trip Advisor. Pricey but worth every penny. After the flight over the glaciers we did a water landing on the Taku River in front of the Taku Lodge where they cooked fresh salmon over an outdoor grill. There is an actual glacier right across the river from the lodge. Nice view with our dinner. You'll probably have bears visit in September, it was too early when we were there. The best meal we had on the entire trip. Check out their website.

You can do the short glacier only flyover, or the hours long trip which includes the flyover plus the lodge. Got back in plenty of time to walk around Juneau for a bit and then back to the ship.

I believe this tour is listed in the excursions offered by the ship. I can't remember which way we booked it. But in general, you are safe to book through outside vendors. They will not risk their reputations by getting someone left behind.

We did the Taku Lodge excursion over 20years ago. It was expensive then but worth every cent. It was a once in a lifetime experience and I'm so glad we did it.

We traveled in a suite and have had family and friends not in a suite. It is doable with expectations. We either met up with them after breakfast and/or lunch or we dined with them in the MDR. Because our aft PH on the Sun does not have a dining table we did not have meals brought in. However we had a lovely huge balcony and did have snacks brought in. Of course these extras mean more work for our butler and we took that into consideration in our tips.

We enjoy cruising in suites. Foremost is the separate spaces divided with a real door. (I cruise with my mom.). Just because family and friends choose non-suite accommodations does not mean we need to alter either. You should do what makes you happy!

The way we were introduced into suite cruising we're being invited to lunch by friends we had met in our pre-cruise hotel. They explained to us that they could entertain us in their private space but had to limit any time in the common suite space to a quick tour. They explained this is out of respect for the other suite guests. Likewise, their other perks such as suite b&l and reserved seating in shows, etc. could not be shared for the same reason. We understood this. And... As soon as we got home we booked our next cruise in a suite... And haven't looked back.

I think it takes about 3 hours to drive from Van to Seattle. That doesn't take into consideration bottle neck traffic in Vancouver (which can be nasty) and delays at the border crossings which have been rather long at times, nor does it take into consideration possible delays disembarking (that are often beyond the control of NCL). So many variables...

I have been checking the wait times at the border and am watching the traffic on Google maps. It looks like unless anything unforseen, we are looking at about 3 1/2 hours in traffic. Worst case, we are using SWA airline miles and can change if flights are available without a change fee.

Some of the suites are just one large room. No door dividers.

Yes, I know that. I do my research. A curtain is not good enough either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk