Too dressed up!

I am going on Celebrity Eclipse in June: my first "posh"cruise"! I am so worried that I will be over dressed on Formal nights!

Am I being silly?

I had hoped to lose weight, but due to illness, it didn't happen, so I have hired 3 dresses. I thought that was a good idea! Instead of spending lots of money on dresses I will never wear again!

Now I am worried that one of them is far too dressy! It's quite a big dress and although I love it, and would never have bought it, price wise, it's a girls( I am 53 this week!) dream and now I fear I am being a bit daft!

Also I need a suitcase just for the 3 dresses I have hired! Is that ok? We aren't flying as sailing from Southampton!

I am in a panic and due to anxiety problems, I don't want this to ruin my otherwise very happily anticipated cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary,( not until Sept but son is getting married then! )

Would appreciate your opinions. I know not everyone gets dressed up!

Hi, we've just returned from the Eclipse. Whilst we don't do formal night anymore there were some gorgeous full length dresses and the majority of people were in formal gear. If you love the dress, wear it, you will see long dresses and shorter cocktail dresses. If you aren't flying an extra suitcase is fine. Don't worry, have fun and enjoy the cruise.

Hi, I can almost hear the anxiety in your post.....please take a deep

breath:)......

I sail Celebrity all the time and although many women don't like

dressing up anymore? There are still plenty of women who do:D

You said the 3 dresses need to be packed all by themselves? And that

you are not flying into port? Sounds like you are driving so packing

extra items shouldn't be an issue;)....if you love the dresses, wear

them.....

Again, go and enjoy your cruise....try not to stress so much. Formal

nights can be fun......:)

If the "big" dress is a ballgown, you might want to rethink that one. Eveing gowns are slimmer, easy to pack...and easy to wear! However, if you're not at the mercy of airline rules, go for it!!

These are dressy social evenings....not balls, or award ceremonies, etc....

Can you post a picture of the gowns?? I love looking at gowns ( and wearing them on formal nights) !!!! Then everyone could let you know what they think, although I don't care how " over dressed" any one thinks I look if I love my gown :D

They may not be "balls or awards" but if the original poster is happy

with her choices and since there are no flight restrictions? I don't think

she needs to re-think anything.

I say go ahead and wear them:)

Even though I haven't seen the OP's gown, based on her description I'd say "go for it." We sail on Eclipse each spring on a two-week cruise. Our experience has been that the formal nights really are quite dressy. I don't think the OP's choice will look out of place at all.

Have a great cruise on Eclipse.

Do take a deep breath and relax. Sounds to me like you're good to go for a Celebrity cruise. You'll look fabulous! Doesn't matter what other's wear. Be true to yourself and wear that dream dress of yours.;)

Congratulations on your upcoming 30th Anniversary and on your son's upcoming wedding. I hope you have an amazingly-wonderful cruise!:D

I haven't done my first cruise yet but I have done formal nights on a couple of luxury train trips.

I loved getting dressed up to the nines. I didn't care what the other passengers wore. I'm over 60 and overweight so I don't wear cocktail frocks. I wore long dresses and skirts with glam tops, and enjoyed every moment of being dressed to the nines.

If you feel fabulous, you'll look fabulous. Just enjoy the glamour and have fun.

My first cruise was for my 25th, I wore a red sequin ball gown...was I a tad overdressed, absolutely! Did I get many compliments? YEP!!

Last year I went on Royal Princess, I wore a cinderella type gown...Figured it was a spanking new ship- get glitzy!

Here's a pic link below from e-bay- more lavender than the pic...and I wore a crystal headband...again I got a ton of compliments....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adrianna-Papell-Sequin-Bodice-Ball-Gown-/281316830368?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&var=&hash=item417fca2ca0

So dress for YOURSELF, relax and enjoy!!

Bernadette

My first cruise was for my 25th, I wore a red sequin ball gown...was I a tad overdressed, absolutely! Did I get many compliments? YEP!!

Last year I went on Royal Princess, I wore a cinderella type gown...Figured it was a spanking new ship- get glitzy!

Here's a pic link below from e-bay- more lavender than the pic...and I wore a crystal headband...again I got a ton of compliments....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adrianna-Papell-Sequin-Bodice-Ball-Gown-/281316830368?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&var=&hash=item417fca2ca0

Bernadette

Really pretty!!

Bernadette

Such a pretty dress!!

Our 1st cruise-Royal Carribean's Grandeur. 9/26/14

Bernadette

Hi, I don't do much pink but that dress is so pretty:)

There are so few opportunities where I live to dress formally. I love looking at my wife in her formals. In fact, I like to go shopping with her when she goes to buy cruise clothing. On formal nights on Celebrity I always wear tuxes. I actually pack two different ones even when I fly to the ports. I, for one, really appreciate that some people will take the time and effort that formal dress requires. I'm sure that you will look wonderful.

Jerry of Jerry and Kathryn

As other have said, please don't worry, you will be fine. I've only cruised on P&O so far but it sounds like formal nights are similar to Celebrity ones.

I was very nervous on my first cruise - felt a bit silly when we left the cabin hoping we would fit in and we were fine! So - relax! Most people really dress up or at least have a nice dress on even it's it's not that "glitzy"

the gown wasn't pink.....it was a lavender.....medium...

not my favorite color on me....but I loved the way it made me feel.....Thank you!

I flew to Europe twice for cruises and took 2 gowns each time....they were lighter weight than some dresses I own....

I WEIGHED some of my clothing choices to pick the lightest items, so I could bring more choices...

Haven't decided about my Western Carib cruise yet for this summer....I have this gown

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Adrianna-Papell-White-Rosette-Ball-Gown-Wedding-Dress-12-/271473697943?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&hash=item3f3517e497

BUT unless I have some level of tanned skin...it will stay home...thinking vow renewal..but if my youngest son cant join us...may put that off for another time...and just reuse some gowns,,,,,

I have gotten some amazing deals at Lord & Taylor- but you have to hit the sale right...otherwise the sales continue, but the prices actually get higher...

My upcoming cruise is only 7 days, so packing should be easy even with flying to port...

Bernadette

Haven't decided about my Western Carib cruise yet for this summer....I have this gown

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Adrianna-Papell-White-Rosette-Ball-Gown-Wedding-Dress-12-/271473697943?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&hash=item3f3517e497

BUT unless I have some level of tanned skin...it will stay home..

Get a spray tan the day before before you board if you can. St Tropez tans are very natural. It's best to get the spray tan applied first thing in the morning, leave it on all day to develop, then shower it off before going to bed.

Also I suggest trying out the spray tan a few weeks before your cruise to make sure you are happy with the colour and the way it was applied.

the gown wasn't pink.....it was a lavender.....medium...

not my favorite color on me....but I loved the way it made me feel.....Thank you!

I flew to Europe twice for cruises and took 2 gowns each time....they were lighter weight than some dresses I own....

I WEIGHED some of my clothing choices to pick the lightest items, so I could bring more choices...

BUT unless I have some level of tanned skin...it will stay home...thinking vow renewal..but if my youngest son cant join us...may put that off for another time...and just reuse some gowns,,,,,

I have gotten some amazing deals at Lord & Taylor- but you have to hit the sale right...otherwise the sales continue, but the prices actually get higher...

My upcoming cruise is only 7 days, so packing should be easy even with flying to port...

Bernadette

Hi Bernadette.....oh....I love lavenders and purples:D

I guess it came across my computer as pink;)

I am going on Celebrity Eclipse in June: my first "posh"cruise"! I am so worried that I will be over dressed on Formal nights!

Am I being silly?

I had hoped to lose weight, but due to illness, it didn't happen, so I have hired 3 dresses. I thought that was a good idea! Instead of spending lots of money on dresses I will never wear again!

Now I am worried that one of them is far too dressy! It's quite a big dress and although I love it, and would never have bought it, price wise, it's a girls( I am 53 this week!) dream and now I fear I am being a bit daft!

Also I need a suitcase just for the 3 dresses I have hired! Is that ok? We aren't flying as sailing from Southampton!

I am in a panic and due to anxiety problems, I don't want this to ruin my otherwise very happily anticipated cruise for our 30th wedding anniversary,( not until Sept but son is getting married then! )

Would appreciate your opinions. I know not everyone gets dressed up!

I think you should wear the dresses, enjoy them and not worry. :)

• 1 month later...