One-sided changes in last 3 months...

OP, many things have changed since our 1st in 1987, and your 1st in 2003. If you decided to try NCL after your Summit sailing, please come back and let us know what you thought. NCL is one of the 7 lines we have sailed, and the other 6 would have to go out of business before we will try them again.

We always return from a sailing, look at each other and say, opps, we forgot to do this and try that. You booked a very good Ship.

EW

ps: read this review, her second Summit sailing this year!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2037736

NCL is our second favorite cruise line. We prefer Celebrity, but occasionally we like the NCL itinerary and prices. NCL has a different atmosphere, which is not as classy as X, but a bit more vibrant. NCL tends to have somewhat younger passengers. You cannot get assigned table dining, but NCL ships have excellent specialty restaurants (a great variety) that don't cost an arm and leg to use. The entertainment is good and actually slightly better than X. NCL does have the more irritating announcements and solicitations that you just have to ignore.

NCL is our second favorite cruise line. We prefer Celebrity, but occasionally we like the NCL itinerary and prices. NCL has a different atmosphere, which is not as classy as X, but a bit more vibrant. NCL tends to have somewhat younger passengers. You cannot get assigned table dining, but NCL ships have excellent specialty restaurants (a great variety) that don't cost an arm and leg to use. The entertainment is good and actually slightly better than X. NCL does have the more irritating announcements and solicitations that you just have to ignore.

I agree with all of this after sailing twice on NCL, each time a different ship. I have had equally wonderful specialty dining on NCL and the most expensive NCL dining options are less than many of the Celebrity options. Because the Haven is more desirable to me and more affordable than a suite on Celebrity, that is the route I typically go when sailing on NCL.

$200 a night, was that per person or total for the cabin. Did you get 123-go with tips, obc, and classic drink package on a Celebrity T-Atlantic.

Did your cruise include extras from your wallet.

Did you fly on a magic carpet at no cost.

If you paid 300 for a hotel room and got a room that wasn't acceptable, would you make an issue of it.

Knowing you paid your travel money for a product over-hyped and not fulfilled, will you go back to work rested from a "wonderful" vacation with "spectacular" views of the Atlantic crossing. Time spent with family is a sure thing, vacations need to suit the individuals.

jls

Honestly I have no idea. When our cruise was booked it was (I thiiiiink) $1400 per person. Give or take a hundred bucks on either side. There was no drink package promo available for the TA's, although I think that applied only to North American bookings, so we paid in full for a Premium beverage package. We paid for internet, we went to two speciality restaurants and on one excursion. We shopped and had fun. No one held a gun to our head and forced us to pay any extra.

I'm not going to split hairs on the actual amount - I am just going to stand by my belief that a 13 day cruise for what we paid, is superb value. The things that seem to upset the OP and others were not even a blip on my radar.

...we flew Business class from YYC to FLL on AA for a decent price. We flew home from Europe in Business again but this time we used Aeroplan points and paid a total of $95 for two flights MAN-ZRH-YUL-YYC. (not that that is relevant to the cruise deal - we really have no other option, no matter where we go to)

I will state my concerns about the overpriced hotel in FLL to the company, but again unless we sleep in a dive or a park, we have to have hotel accommodation pre-cruise.

I am unsure what your last paragraph even means so I can't answer that. We had a great cruse, came home well rested and believe we got excellent value for money.

On my TA on Eclipse, Zumba offered 2 free introductory classes and further class were for a fee. I was under the impression that it's now run by Canyon Ranch, the new SPA provider.

The sea day Brunch Buffett officially ended 1st week of march. They do do a dressed up version of the Ocean View cafe with fruit carvings ice sculptures and fancy displays a day or 2 now each cruise though.

Being a for profit thing, they may run promotions at certain times to encourage customers. Also, as the spa is new they're running promotions in any case, as I saw on my Solstice cruise.

The previous version of the brunch buffet was a much watered down version of the earlier midnight brunches.

They're not even calling the dress-ups in the buffet anything special, but given how much things have been watered down, who knows how long they will last anyway.

They're not even calling the dress-ups in the buffet anything special, but given how much things have been watered down, who knows how long they will last anyway.

I wondered how long the "dress ups" would last myself.

On one hand I thought it's just a small step to appease folks for a while till it's gone, then on the other hand, it would mean full end to ice sculptures and fruit carvings that are still quite popular, even part of the activities programs...I can't think where other than boarding day, Ive seen ice sculptures or fruit cavings that the sea day brunch, and now buffet sometimes.

If you think they have done something wrong, then stand up and file a lawsuit against them.

We will vote with our feet and book a different line. No point in throwing money at a court case. In the UK we try to change things by not buying the product until they change what we feel is wrong.

We don't like what they are doing on several fronts - Captains club points, Michaels Club and now the drinks package.

We can't cancel our next cruise as it is paid for and we would be stupid to lose money. But we can vote with our feet, which is what we have done by booking the following cruise wiith a different line.

We will vote with our feet and book a different line. No point in throwing money at a court case. In the UK we try to change things by not buying the product until they change what we feel is wrong.

We don't like what they are doing on several fronts - Captains club points, Michaels Club and now the drinks package.

We can't cancel our next cruise as it is paid for and we would be stupid to lose money. But we can vote with our feet, which is what we have done by booking the following cruise wiith a different line.

I use my feet as well if I am not satisfied with a product; I've walked away from some companies. That is the best way to get a company's attention, IMHO.

Having read the UK Consumer protection website the last 2 days, you CAN cancel and expect a full and prompt refund (not a credit memo, they have to refund the same manner as you paid) if they have in fact violated any of the consumer protections. It is an option if there is a violation.

A last minute cancellation where they have to refund you will speak way louder than just not booking again.

Having read the UK Consumer protection website the last 2 days, you CAN cancel and expect a full and prompt refund (not a credit memo, they have to refund the same manner as you paid) if they have in fact violated any of the consumer protections. It is an option if there is a violation.

A last minute cancellation where they have to refund you will speak way louder than just not booking again.

It would not be worth the fight, court cases over here are never clear cut. Often common sense goes out the window!

We will go on the cruise, hopefully have a great time (our last cruise was spoiled by a torn knee ligament) then move on to a cruise line who appreciates giving the customer what they have booked and paid for.

It would not be worth the fight, court cases over here are never clear cut. Often common sense goes out the window!

We will go on the cruise, hopefully have a great time (our last cruise was spoiled by a torn knee ligament) then move on to a cruise line who appreciates giving the customer what they have booked and paid for.

Try Princess.

We think they are moving in the opposite direction. :D

Are you open to sharing what cruise line you are going to book with? Have you sailed with them before? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the customer service you are hoping to get.

Try Princess.

We think they are moving in the opposite direction. :D

Karen & jomf, we first sailed Princess in 1992, wonderful! Sailed the Ruby in Nov 2012:( was it terrible? No. But it was not the Princess we have sailed in the past. Our sailing on the Reflection last Nov was wonderful, and very close to our sailing on the Century in her first season in 1996. There will probably never be anything like the Zenith/Horizon again, so we forgo any comparisson's.

I understand your concern but I think you were unfortunate to have hit a bad time period when a lot of major changes have been made. If your cruise was last year don't think there would been any major changes. Bad timing

First time cruisers on Celebrity ,myself include do find all these changes disappointing. Perhaps they need to make up some new brochures and change their web site to more accurately reflect the product they provide .

I can appreciate the original poster's comments. I too have been less than excited at the apparent depletion of items. I went into minutia looking at the details of the cruise offered. I compared and purchased based upon many factors; no one thing tipped me over but it's really a bummer to see the stuff that is going away or simply replaced. Unlike other posters on CC, I don't have the money or time to cruise all the time. This for me is a once in a lifetime experience and wanted to make it special. Not that my cruise can't be special, but I feel less than excited now knowing my AQ class cabin is well, less than AQ.

First time cruisers on Celebrity ,myself include do find all these changes disappointing. Perhaps they need to make up some new brochures and change their web site to more accurately reflect the product they provide .

I can appreciate the original poster's comments. I too have been less than excited at the apparent depletion of items. I went into minutia looking at the details of the cruise offered. I compared and purchased based upon many factors; no one thing tipped me over but it's really a bummer to see the stuff that is going away or simply replaced. Unlike other posters on CC, I don't have the money or time to cruise all the time. This for me is a once in a lifetime experience and wanted to make it special. Not that my cruise can't be special, but I feel less than excited now knowing my AQ class cabin is well, less than AQ.

Both take a deep breath, when you step on a Celebrity Ship all this yada, yada, yada, will melt away, and you will find the soup natzi :D is not on Celebrity.

I use my feet as well if I am not satisfied with a product; I've walked away from some companies. That is the best way to get a company's attention, IMHO.

Discussion is both less drastic, and makes it more clear what the issues are.

Too many times I've seen company X say it's pulling out of some market due to poor sales, when there's an actual reason for the poor sales that could have been readily addressed but wasn't.

Are you open to sharing what cruise line you are going to book with? Have you sailed with them before? I would be interested to hear your thoughts on the customer service you are hoping to get.

We have cruised with P & O, Princess, NCL and Celebrity. All were fine but not top notch. Celebrity was the best but after what has been happening we will see on our next cruise.

We have booked a TA on the QM2 with Cunard. Only in a standard cabin as it is just a great way to return from a Fleetwood Mac concert in Boston!

We will then look at Seabourne, Oceania and the like. We will have to cruise for shorter trips but maybe we will tack on a land based tour before each cruise.

We have cruised with P & O, Princess, NCL and Celebrity. All were fine but not top notch. Celebrity was the best but after what has been happening we will see on our next cruise.

We have booked a TA on the QM2 with Cunard. Only in a standard cabin as it is just a great way to return from a Fleetwood Mac concert in Boston!

We will then look at Seabourne, Oceania and the like. We will have to cruise for shorter trips but maybe we will tack on a land based tour before each cruise.

On the Silhouette crossing , Michaels club was for suites only, beer was in the wine cellar

The time frame of April 2015 listed is for all suite amenities to be implemented. Where they can be done sooner, they have. The conversion of Michaels Club to the suite/zenith lounge has occurred across the fleet.

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

I don't think Celebrity is unique in making changes.

I remember being very miffed when we traveled on the NCL Dawn. When we booked they advertised an adults only indoor pool. When we boarded they had just changed it to an upcharged spa-like place and wanted $119 pp for our 10 night cruise. Needless to say, I didn't pay.

They also raised the pricing on all their restaurants about a week before we boarded.

My advice:

@OP try not to worry about it too much and enjoy your well-earned vacay!

Actually... the escargot was available every night on Century in April and it was very good. One of the things they have not cut backed, to their credit.

Actually, there was a rather lengthy period when escargot were not available and were substituted with stuffed mushrooms. Apparently, the supply had run out and I never blamed X for the lack of one of my favorites.

The OP's list of items does not affect DW and me at all. We've never used any of those facilities in more than 20 Celebrity cruises. Nevertheless, someday each of us might see things that are important to us suddenly removed. I wonder how those of you who are pooh-poohing the OP's concerns will react at that point. Removing an item from the menu because of shortages is one thing; making unannounced changes on short notice with no recourse is quite another.. I understand X might be in a difficult position to handle these changes fairly, but I surely do sympathize with those in the OP's position, as someday it might be me.

As the originator of this thread, I wanted to post an update: I just checked the Celebrity website, and noticed a bunch of interesting new entertainment options will be on offer during my cruise, that have not received much "press" around here. These options help to offset the negatives that I highlighted, so in the interest of fairness they must be part of this discussion.

These items include:

-Indulgence, which I can't really tell what it is but seems to be kind of a "flash mob" of entertainment

-Liquid, which appears to be an interesting use of the T-Pool area to create a cool lit-up night club area

-Sin City comedy/burlesque show

-Scratch DJ school

So…the apparent cutbacks were perhaps not cutbacks at all, but instead budget reallocations - and these new entertainment options have the potential to add a lot of value to my vacation. As such, the "one-sided" element of this thread topic's title doesn't really apply anymore - these are in fact changes, not cutbacks.

Looking forward to going on board next weekend and seeing what it's like!