Early Flight out of Venice?

togacath

Hi All, I'm looking for some guidance from you experienced travelers. We are on the Noordam leaving May 29th. This cruise ends in Venice. We arrive in Venice on Sunday, June 8th, clear customs, etc. and get to spend the night on board. The cruise officially ends on Monday, June 9th.

I booked a flight leaving Monday morning at 6:55am. Will they let me walk off the ship with my bags at 4:30am? Should I pre-arrange a taxi to the airport or will they be waiting on the pier? Does anyone have a recommendation for a transfer to the airport?

Many thanks!

I wonder if it would be a good idea to leave the ship in the evening, say, after dinner and go to a hotel near the airport that last night, if you really need that early flight - I think we stayed at a Courtyard by Marriott near the airport once. Presumably they would have some sort of transport to the AP, or you could arrange a taxi.

I assume you booked such an early flight because you need to catch a connecting flight back to North America. I don't believe there will be any public transport before 7am so a pre-arranged taxi may be your only alternative unless you can arrange a transfer through HAL.

Thinking about your quandary, I remembered that on the Volendam this spring, we were told we were going to arrive in Singapore a day early (at noon) because there was a large group on board that had a really early flight, and would need to disembark at 4 a.m., and this way they could get to the AP in time. Why don't you check with HAL - perhaps the same thing is happening in Venice, and they will be organizing transfers.

We were on a cruise that ended in Venice early this month. We also overnighted on the ship the last night. I don't know how early people got off the ship that last morning. We spent 3 nights in Venice after the cruise and then we moved to the Hilton Garden Inn not far from the airport for the last night since we had a 6:50 am flight. The hotel was very comfortable and clean. They had a shuttle for 14 euros per room. They suggested that I get to the airport early. The shuttle was waiting for us at 4:30 am when we went downstairs. They let us off right in front of the airport. It was very easy and there were no lines at all since we got there when the airport opened.

On the Nieuw Amsterdam in 2012, I disembarked at 5:00 AM - we had docked the previous day in Venice, and spent the night there as well.

The self-disembarkation (although I am not 100% sure) will only work if you are taking your luggage with you. There were taxis waiting at the pier at that time. I assume they were pre-arranged. Since you are docking the day before, you can speak with the taxi drivers, and see if you can arrange to have one bring you to the airport.

Spoke with the PCC at HAL. She checked and they will let us off the ship as early as 4:30AM on June 9th but they will not be offering transfers to the airport until 6:00AM.

She also checked and said we would be allowed to disembark on Sunday, June 8th as long as we checked in with the Front Desk 3-4 days beforehand so they could have our paperwork ready.

I asked her opinion about staying at the airport the night before versus getting from the ship to the airport the day of my flight and she said she thought it best to be by the airport the night before. Her quote was "It's Italy...things don't always go as planned". I've bit the bullet and booked a room near the airport. Many thanks to all who offered advice!

Togacath

I think I think you made a wise decision - the HAL rep was right -it is Italy and anything is possible. I can say this because my background is Italian (about an hour from Venice) and I have seen just about everything happen over the years - including strikes of planes, trains, ferries, taxis, and public transportation. Enjoy your cruise!

So, not on a cruise, but we left Venice at the crack of dawn in 2006. We were up around 2:30, downstairs at our hotel - they had prepared a breakfast AND coffee for the two of us. We had a private boat take us over the lagoon to the airport. The boat ride was a highlight of our trip! Winding our way through the canals in the dark and then our pilot (owner of the boat) opened it up and lifted the bow out of the water as we cruised between the lights on the lagoon. The walk (with our luggage) from the pier to the terminal was longer than I needed at 5:30 AM and the airport staff wasn't even there yet. So, it was us and another 100 or so souls waiting for the airport to wake up. We caught our flight back to Frankfurt and then on to the USA.

Made for a long but memorable day.

Don't think I'd opt for a taxi on land...

We had the same thing happen in Florence. We spent the night at an airport hotel prior to an early morning flight. We requested a 4 am wake up call in spite of the front desk insisting we did not need to leave that early. We stood outside the closed doors of the airport for nearly an hour with many other Americans!!! Oh to live the laid back lifestyle of the Italians.

We made our flight.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Forums mobile app

I know its in bad taste to question some folks' intentions or motives but I feel compelled to put my two cents in. Why would anybody plan a trip where one must get up at 4am to catch flights back to California the same day? Is it a vacation or a stamina exercise? Why not take a noon flight to catch your U.S. bound flight and spend a restful night in Frankfurt, Paris, London, whatever and fly out the next morning rested and prepared for what is going to be a 9-14 hour flight back to the States? I understand working people have time constraints but for us retired folks, why place this unnecessary physical and emotional stress on your bodies?

I know its in bad taste to question some folks' intentions or motives but I feel compelled to put my two cents in. Why would anybody plan a trip where one must get up at 4am to catch flights back to California the same day? Is it a vacation or a stamina exercise? Why not take a noon flight to catch your U.S. bound flight and spend a restful night in Frankfurt, Paris, London, whatever and fly out the next morning rested and prepared for what is going to be a 9-14 hour flight back to the States? I understand working people have time constraints but for us retired folks, why place this unnecessary physical and emotional stress on your bodies?

We agree!!! No more flights in the middle of the night. Last October we got off the Regent Voyager and spent the night at a lovely hotel near St Mark's Square. Got a water taxi the next morning (eight-ish) had a great ride to the airport and didn't feel as though we were hurrying. A better end to a lovely cruise! Water taxis are the way to go--luggage handled and a nice farewell to Venice!

Debi

So, not on a cruise, but we left Venice at the crack of dawn in 2006. We were up around 2:30, downstairs at our hotel - they had prepared a breakfast AND coffee for the two of us. We had a private boat take us over the lagoon to the airport. The boat ride was a highlight of our trip! Winding our way through the canals in the dark and then our pilot (owner of the boat) opened it up and lifted the bow out of the water as we cruised between the lights on the lagoon.

We did the same thing but using the scheduled water taxi from St Marks, near our hotel. Other than getting up early..I think we we got on the boat about 6 a.m., it was very cool. Part of the whole experience of our 4 post cruise days in Venice. Would we do it that way again? No prob. Earlier that that...no.

OP, get a hotel room rather than the hassle of leaving the ship the early morning of the flight day.

Edited by eandj

Spoke with the PCC at HAL. She checked and they will let us off the ship as early as 4:30AM on June 9th but they will not be offering transfers to the airport until 6:00AM.

She also checked and said we would be allowed to disembark on Sunday, June 8th as long as we checked in with the Front Desk 3-4 days beforehand so they could have our paperwork ready.

I asked her opinion about staying at the airport the night before versus getting from the ship to the airport the day of my flight and she said she thought it best to be by the airport the night before. Her quote was "It's Italy...things don't always go as planned". I've bit the bullet and booked a room near the airport. Many thanks to all who offered advice!

Congratulations on making a wise decision. The Italians are wonderful people, but I would not rely on them for making closely timed connections, airport clearance, etc. when timing is obviously crucial.

That's exactly why I do it. Not everyone who cruises and/or travels in Europe is retired. My vacation days are very precious to me; I always try to squeeze out 3-4 vacations per year so I never squander a single day.

I've departed my ship in Piraeus at around 2:30 am to make a 6:00 a.m. flight back to the US, arriving at around 5:00 pm. Home two hours later and at my desk at work the very next day.

It will be nice when I am retired to take it a little easier on occasion. On the other hand, I like my job, it pays well, and makes it possible for me to travel often.....so I'm not exactly anxious to say goodbye to it anytime soon.

Congratulations on making a wise decision. The Italians are wonderful people, but I would not rely on them for making closely timed connections, airport clearance, etc. when timing is obviously crucial.

I think that's a little stereotypical. :rolleyes: Italy has a very well-oiled tourism industry these days.

I've not had to do it myself, but if I did have a connection like this one, I've read a fair number of reports on the Italy boards from people who pre-reserved a taxi to the airport early in the morning. (And I've yet to read of said taxi not showing up.) That's what I would do.

Edited by cruisemom42

I've departed my ship in Piraeus at around 2:30 am to make a 6:00 a.m. flight back to the US, arriving at around 5:00 pm. Home two hours later and at my desk at work the very next day.

I think that's a little stereotypical. :rolleyes: Italy has a very well-oiled tourism industry these days.

So you got home around 7pm which is really 1am Piraeus time and then went work a few hours later after traveling virtually 21 1/2 hours. I have to credit you with great physical strength; I used to be able to do that about the time Jimmy Carter was President.

I agree with you that the Italy comments are unfairly stereotypical. I know I would trust their trains more to run on schedule than Amtrak.

Edited by doublebzz

I agree, our last day itinerary out of Venice was less than ideal. We are not retired. I don't recall if we attempted to work the next day (possibly). That said, the hospitality shown us by our hotel (Hotel Gabrielli Sandwirth) was excellent and our private boat was awesome. All booked through a great travel agency in Milano.