With high prices and bad reviews why sail celebrity?

Loyal2Royal1995

I remember egg drop and ship building contests on Princess in the 70s and I've seen demonstrations on how to make the drinks in the molecular bar. They also had golf simulators on Celebrity for a while. I guess a lot of "old" ideas may seem new if you haven't seen them. Glass blowing is not for amateurs. I can just imagine what kind of insurance they would need for that.

As far as the music, there should be music from all generations represented on board and since the great majority of people are and probably always will be a little older, they do need some music representing their age group as well. I can't imagine anyone thinking Perry Grant fits the description of Modern Luxury, even though there are many people who enjoy him. Most of those people are not spring chickens.

There are many things that may not be my favorite, but that doesn't mean I would want the people who enjoy them to lose them.

I enjoy music from many different time periods including today's music. Regardless of the genre of music it should be appropriate for the time of day and venue.

Edited by Ma Bell

However, Celebrity website and customer service is another story. This is not just my opinon, but also that of many cruisers, and as well as travel agents.

Such a true statement, and unfortunate that it is. I often tell people if you don't get the answer you want from shoreside staff, wait till you board and talk to the ship side staff. Often a world of difference once you are face to face and not behind an email or phone call.

Same applies with airlines. Much better revolution opportunities when talking to an agent at the counter than the phone centers who have to follow scripts and are highly monitored.

I like the new egg drop competition, the new ship building contests. Would like to see more similar ideas that get people interactively involved with others and the ship.

I'd like to see molecular bar teach people how to make their drinks in a clinic of some sort.

I'd like to learn how to DJ like a professional.

I'd like to learn how to blow glass, not just watch the shows.

I'd like music to be 80's and forward no classical or swing or stuff like that, Perry Grant being the exception to the rule. I'd like the pool to have more upbeat music all day and more frozen drinks and make it more of a fun party atmosphere than death's waiting room and a snoozefest.

I'd like the T pools on M class to also be on the S class ships.

I think a golf simulator experience may be fun.

These are my top ideas.

Agreed with ALL of this. Except for ballroom (swing) dancing-I'm in my 30s and have taken lessons for a few years- it's experiencing a bit of a revival among the younger set and we love the opportunity to partake on a cruise :)

Try not to let others scare you away from a cruise line. I read a lot of different cruise lines forums and you hear a lot of the same stuff.

As a previous poster stated, I too have been on a cruise and read a review posted by someone else and I thought were we even on the same ship?

"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time." -Abraham Lincoln

I used to work in customer service in the retail world and there were some people that were completely unrealistic in their expectations. No matter what we tried to do we could not make them happy.

I feel there are people like that on these boards. Life is too short, enjoy!

There has been an awful lot of changes on Celebrity in a very short time frame.

First the Captains club and the way points are awarded. This change upset a lot of people but we were really happy with the change which rewarded people who took longer cruises in more expensive cabins. We are lucky enough to do 14 day cruises most years. However those in the USA don't seem to get as much holiday time as those in the UK and that makes it harder for them to gain points, which is a fair point.

Secondly the reduction of live music and the removal of the Acapella group....such a shame as we love live music and the Acepella seemed really popular.

Next the reduction of the activities staff.....no one knows how this will impact on cruisers.

Then the introduction of a new suite restaurant in 2015 gave critics the opportunity to say Celebrity were becoming just like Cunard and then the removal of Micheals club which became a VIP lounge for suite guests. Again we believe this is a sound business decision considering the amount of money these suites cost. Just a S2 is just under£8000 for two on our next cruise.

Next the 123 go offer of a free classic drinks package and then the removal on the 4th of May of most of the drinks available on the classic package.

Although Celebrity are sorting this out. Hopefully more information will be available soon.

All these have had an impact on Celebrity's image.

However we are really looking forward to our cruise in 10weeks time. Will all these changes mean Celebrity will lose our business, no I don't think so however it is difficult to comment as we have not cruised since last August when none of these changes had happened.

At this moment we would recommend Celebrity to you based solely on our 8cruises in the past 5 years.

Where are these bad reviews?

From reviews here on Cruise Critic...

Equinox 93% LOVED IT!

Eclipse 90% LOVED IT!

Solstice 85% LOVED IT

Reflection 90% LOVED IT!

Silhouette 88% LOVED IT

Even the older ships are in the high 70 and 80 percentile.

One whiny person does not equal "bad reviews"

I like the new egg drop competition, the new ship building contests. Would like to see more similar ideas that get people interactively involved with others and the ship.

I'd like to see molecular bar teach people how to make their drinks in a clinic of some sort.

I'd like to learn how to DJ like a professional.

I'd like to learn how to blow glass, not just watch the shows.

I'd like music to be 80's and forward no classical or swing or stuff like that, Perry Grant being the exception to the rule. I'd like the pool to have more upbeat music all day and more frozen drinks and make it more of a fun party atmosphere than death's waiting room and a snoozefest.

I'd like the T pools on M class to also be on the S class ships.

I think a golf simulator experience may be fun.

These are my top ideas.

Thanks Curt for showing people that some of us want a more updated cruising experience, with newer activities and music. How often do we see things from the past swing back around and become popular again, like the golf simulator, etc. I don't want to stay in the past, I want to move to the future and I think Celebrity is doing a great job getting us to Modern (being the operative word) Luxury.

Who do you believe offers the best value and experience in the mass market cruise industry at the current time?

At the current time I think all the mass market lines are more alike then they are different. I've enjoyed my cruises on Celebrity on Princess on RCCL and even Oceana which cost a lot more. Just did not like the small ship experence. Was really impressed with NCL new Getaway ship. For some reason I really enjoyed the freestyle experence . And the entertainment was way above anything Celebrity offered. Also enjoyed the dining package and was able to eat in a specialty restaurant every night. I will be trying RCCL new Quantum one day also. I like having a choice and don't stick with just one line. The perks don't mean much to me but a lot of customers really enjoy them and I understand why there loyal to one line.

At the current time I think all the mass market lines are more alike then they are different. I've enjoyed my cruises on Celebrity on Princess on RCCL and even Oceana which cost a lot more. Just did not like the small ship experence. Was really impressed with NCL new Getaway ship. For some reason I really enjoyed the freestyle experence . And the entertainment was way above anything Celebrity offered. Also enjoyed the dining package and was able to eat in a specialty restaurant every night. I will be trying RCCL new Quantum one day also. I like having a choice and don't stick with just one line. The perks don't mean much to me but a lot of customers really enjoy them and I understand why there loyal to one line.

I agree that most mass market lines are basically the same, that's why they're "mass market". They all are trying to carve out a specific segment of the market. Celebrity seems to be moving toward attracting the higher end of the market. This might work, it might not. Time will tell. The industry like so many others, is a copy cat business. If something works on one line, it will be adapted to others. If you enjoyed the freestyle dining on NCL you'll probably enjoy the dining options on Quantum. I tend to be brand loyal in most things, but will switch if my choice stops working for me. I enjoy the new perks that Celebrity offers their most loyal passengers and seeing staff and fellow passengers I've known as "friends" for a number of years. To me, the "people" factor is the most important reason I cruise Celebrity. I'm sure you will enjoy your future cruises and look forward to reading about your Quantum experience.

Thanks Curt for showing people that some of us want a more updated cruising experience, with newer activities and music. How often do we see things from the past swing back around and become popular again, like the golf simulator, etc. I don't want to stay in the past, I want to move to the future and I think Celebrity is doing a great job getting us to Modern (being the operative word) Luxury.

Celebrity has always done a good job of keeping current. I've been sailing regularly on Celebrity for over 20 years and have embraced the changes along the way. Up until now they have always fit in with a modern upscale experience.

I'm still waiting for a "new" idea that fits the name Modern Luxury. My kids did egg drop and ship building contests in grammar school. Are these modern luxury events fior adults? The golf simulators were there until just a couple of years ago and we're not a popular item. They were expensive and always seemed to be out of order.

Celebrity attracted a lot of new cruisers by offering an experience that was just a step up in ambiance from some of the other mass market cruise lines. Now it seems that some of those cruisers want to change Celebrity into exactly what they wanted to get away from. It's a mystery to me.

Of course Celebrity should continue to try new things, but they don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Edited by Ma Bell

To the OP, I think you have a great mix of thoughts and feedback. I think if every cruise line thread offered this specific question on Cruise Critic, you would have all of the devoted followers drawing their line in the sand...saying pretty much the same thing. Rightfully so.

You could ask this Celebrity-specific question over on the Princess forum for example, and you would have different replies. I know because when we took two Princess cruises, found that a lot of cruisers had some pretty hateful and flaming things to say about =X=. I found myself defending =X= so much of the time, I had to eventually disengage altogether....yes, even on my Princess roll call thread.

As one other poster answered you, why pay attention to a group who represents less than 7% of the guest population on a cruise? For example, on my roll call thread for our upcoming cruise, there are maybe 40 total who have registered and are on the roll call - when the ship holds over 2800...if Cruise Critic is lucky, they may have 5 to 10 actually review the cruise.

I agree that most mass market lines are basically the same, that's why they're "mass market". They all are trying to carve out a specific segment of the market. Celebrity seems to be moving toward attracting the higher end of the market. This might work, it might not. Time will tell. The industry like so many others, is a copy cat business. If something works on one line, it will be adapted to others. If you enjoyed the freestyle dining on NCL you'll probably enjoy the dining options on Quantum. I tend to be brand loyal in most things, but will switch if my choice stops working for me. I enjoy the new perks that Celebrity offers their most loyal passengers and seeing staff and fellow passengers I've known as "friends" for a number of years. To me, the "people" factor is the most important reason I cruise Celebrity. I'm sure you will enjoy your future cruises and look forward to reading about your Quantum experience.

Orator nothing wrong with being loyal and I do envy you and wish I was able to cruise as much as you do. I'm retired now and maybe in my next life I'll be able to catch up with you. God bless you and hope you can get another 50 cruises in the future. Also I pay attention to everything you post knowing you know what your talking about.

I remember egg drop and ship building contests on Princess in the 70s and I've seen demonstrations on how to make the drinks in the molecular bar. They also had golf simulators on Celebrity for a while. I guess a lot of "old" ideas may seem new if you haven't seen them. Glass blowing is not for amateurs. I can just imagine what kind of insurance they would need for that.

As far as the music, there should be music from all generations represented on board and since the great majority of people are and probably always will be a little older, they do need some music representing their age group as well. I can't imagine anyone thinking Perry Grant fits the description of Modern Luxury, even though there are many people who enjoy him. Most of those people are not spring chickens.

There are many things that may not be my favorite, but that doesn't mean I would want the people who enjoy them to lose them.

I enjoy music from many different time periods including today's music. Regardless of the genre of music it should be appropriate for the time of day and venue.

Excellent points MaBell. While interactive events are generally a good thing, I think it's pretty safe to say that Celebrity will NEVER EVER allow guests anywhere near the Hot Glass. At 2000+ degrees, there's no way they are going to allow folks with no experience to "give it a try" LOL.

As for the Egg Drop and Ship Building ? I've seen it, and thought it was amongst the silliest ideas Celebrity has ever come up with. I'm sure some will like it, as there are always some who enjoy childish concepts/entertainment - if you can call it that. What's next ? burping and farting contests ? :) I'm surprised the Belly flop contest isn't back yet. If I wanted that nonsense, I'd probably consider sailing on Carnival.

FWIW, I had a long chat with an onboard member who should be in the know. What this person described for what's ahead in entertainment, is very concerning. I only hope they reconsider their plans, but I doubt they will.

Although I have major concerns about Celebrity's entertainment direction, and lesser concerns with a few other items... Overall, we remain very pleased with the product, and hope they will keep their cruise experience quality at high levels.

Edited by Host Andy

Excellent points MaBell. While interactive events are generally a good thing, I think it's pretty safe to say that Celebrity will NEVER EVER allow guests anywhere near the Hot Glass. At 2000+ degrees, there's no way they are going to allow folks with no experience to "give it a try" LOL.

As for the Egg Drop and Ship Building ? I've seen it, and thought it was amongst the silliest ideas Celebrity has ever come up with. I'm sure some will like it, as there are always some who enjoy childish concepts/entertainment - if you can call it that. What's next ? burping and farting contests ? :) I'm surprised the Belly flop contest isn't back yet. If I wanted that nonsense, I'd probably consider sailing on Carnival.

FWIW, I had a long chat with an onboard member who should be in the know. What this person described for what's ahead in entertainment, is very concerning. I only hope they reconsider their plans, but I doubt they will.

Hi Andy:

I share your concern about the direction of future entertainment. You should know, if you already don't, that there is some questioning of direction by some who work on the ships. I think we need to see how this all develops and then make or pleasure or displeasure known via the available channels. If enough speak, Celebrity will listen (at least I hope). Not to hijack, but a number of people who were on our wonderful Century cruises are signed up for the Dec. 8th and 13th Connie cruises. Hope you can make it. The people we cruise with are far more important than the activities.

Yes, Andy, I had the same conversation. I don't understand how they can cultivate an image of Modern Luxury by turning the ship into summer camp. I am taking the wait and see approach but I am also concerned.

I don't think anyone is asking for buping or farting or belly flop contest or would be happy with Celebrity if they did these types of activities. We just want something new and different; trivia isn't for everyone. I've been on over 30 cruises and remember on the first few they had this horseracing (which some want Celebrity to bring back) activity and I thought that was the silliest thing I had ever seen adults do, but others seemed to love it, which was fine, I just didn't participate in the activity. There has to be something for everyone.

What is really great about cruise critic is that we can all voice our opinions, likes and dislikes. Even if one disagrees with another's opinion, neither is right or wrong, it is just a difference of opinion.

Host Andy

You said just what I was thinking

Some of the attempts at contests are childish and old hat and I'm concerned about the direction that entertainment is taking. Not thrilled with some of the other changes either

But I've been on a few other lines recently and Celebrity still remains a good fit for us. We had such a wonderful sail on Constellation recently

Also, Cruise Critic is an opportunity to share impressions and ask and answer questions. I am wondering why people are surprised that we can criticize something and yet love the line. I don't see the posts as so negative, just doing what a "critic" dies

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Excellent points MaBell. snip...

Although I have major concerns about Celebrity's entertainment direction, and lesser concerns with a few other items... Overall, we remain very pleased with the product, and hope they will keep their cruise experience quality at high levels.

I agree with this sentiment! I do have some concern regarding some of the changes, and have posted that I was not 100% happy with the music selection/volume/venue on our recent cruise, but did not mean to give the impression that I am not still happy to cruise with X!

Change is hard for me. My mom always says I was born an old lady. A large part of me wishes nothing would ever change, but I know from a business perspective that is not desirable. It does seem to me that there have been quite a few changes right on top of each other, which tends to make me nervous. However, I still have 2 cruises booked with X in the next year so it can't be all bad

Host Andy

You said just what I was thinking

Some of the attempts at contests are childish and old hat and I'm concerned about the direction that entertainment is taking. Not thrilled with some of the other changes either

But I've been on a few other lines recently and Celebrity still remains a good fit for us. We had such a wonderful sail on Constellation recently

Also, Cruise Critic is an opportunity to share impressions and ask and answer questions. I am wondering why people are surprised that we can criticize something and yet love the line. I don't see the posts as so negative, just doing what a "critic" dies

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi True45,

Thank You. I dont see anyone's comments as negative either. We're all expressing our opinion. At the end of the day, nobody is 100% right or wrong. Sharing of ideas/knowledge is usually a wonderful thing !

Besides, if we didn't care about Celebrity SO MUCH (I know I do !), I highly doubt there would be the high level of participation. It's called passion :)

Hi Andy:

I share your concern about the direction of future entertainment. You should know, if you already don't, that there is some questioning of direction by some who work on the ships. I think we need to see how this all develops and then make or pleasure or displeasure known via the available channels. If enough speak, Celebrity will listen (at least I hope). Not to hijack, but a number of people who were on our wonderful Century cruises are signed up for the Dec. 8th and 13th Connie cruises. Hope you can make it. The people we cruise with are far more important than the activities.

Hi Orator,

Darnit, I went the other way, and booked 11/24 and 11/29 Connie. We're also considering Eclipse. Please email me, and I will try to rearrange things, as we'd love to sail with you again !

The egg drop and build a ship contest on my TA this spring were WELL attended, I'd say at least 20% of the ship was standing by and watching and cheering folks on. Probably more really when you consider all the elevator landings. The upper pool deck was surrounded with folks looking over the rail at the contest. I think there were about 10 ship contestants and 7 egg droppers, maybe more.

Belly flop and fart contest would be outrageous, and don't imagine that's anywhere on the horizon, so not sure why such a thing would be brought into an otherwise serious discussion.

But I also don't see how much farther away from the current get the officers all wet in their shirts and have them play volleyball in the pool activity. I find that a bit unprofessional myself. Far better ways ti interactive with guests that that demeaning activity.

And I really have no issue with recycling old cruise activities....it brings a fresh batch of activities to new cruisers every few years, and helps stave off the stagnant feelings when they become cookie cutter year after year. There are really not too many new and unique things to do, pretty much everything has been tried and done over the years so the next thing to do is recycle and bring them back occasionally.

Diff'rent strokes for different folks as they say.

Breaking news:

S&P outlook for RCL raised from Stable to Positive.

The investment community appears to believe that RCL is doing something right. Waiting for more story details.

Who do you believe offers the best value and experience in the mass market cruise industry at the current time?

There is no doubt that MSC Divina sailing the Carib out Miami is by far the best value at this time, due to their aggressive marketing and brand building effort. She is a nearly new ship, with a very high end Italian decor. The live music and dance venues are top notch and plentiful. The food is OK and the itinerary is just OK, but not exotic. But having said that, we have sailed her twice and can recommend Divina at least once for anyone looking for something similar to what I've heard about Celebrity.