weird incident in the explorer of the seas

Attention All CruiseCritic Members>>>>> I just got off the phone with a RCCL Rep. , they have no idea what I was talking about, maybe the person dident I dont know but....I hope everything is okay!! ANYONE with additional Information PLEASE keep us informed...Thank You...Ryan

I was on the Carnival Holiday 2 years ago. When we were coming home, up the Mississipi to New Orleans, we had a scary tilting as well. We were sitting in the maritini bar and we jolted to the left, stratightened up a rolled to the right. They had a beautiful display of 20 different martinis set up, stacked in a pyramid, and they all came crashing to the ground. Our tables and chairs were sliding all ove the place. It was scary and comical at the same time. This went on for about 10 minutes. The bar maid explained that this happens sometimes becuase of the current of the river and the rather sharp turns the boat has to make as it snakes its way throught the river. Definitely a part of my voayge I won't soon forget!!!

I was on the Carnival Holiday 2 years ago. When we were coming home, up the Mississipi to New Orleans, we had a scary tilting as well. We were sitting in the maritini bar and we jolted to the left, stratightened up a rolled to the right. They had a beautiful display of 20 different martinis set up, stacked in a pyramid, and they all came crashing to the ground. Our tables and chairs were sliding all ove the place. It was scary and comical at the same time. This went on for about 10 minutes. The bar maid explained that this happens sometimes becuase of the current of the river and the rather sharp turns the boat has to make as it snakes its way throught the river. Definitely a part of my voayge I won't soon forget!!!

Thanks for this warning we will be cruisin RCI out of New Orleans.

I just got off the phone with a RCCL Rep. , they have no idea what I was talking about]

That is about par for the course. I wouldn't have been surprised if someone there said that they don't even have a ship named Explorer of the Seas! :p

just curious...i was on the serenade of the seas where there was an error made by one of the officers and the ship made a sharp turn listing at about 17 degrees....alot of people from the ship posted on the website...why is noone else posting from the ship about this experience??...maybe it is untrue...well anyway, same thing, deny, deny, deny by rccl only to find out later about a firing of the officer

just curious...i was on the serenade of the seas where there was an error made by one of the officers and the ship made a sharp turn listing at about 17 degrees....

I remember reading about that. One other note - if the ship listed 45 degrees, the pools would have empted out and flooded everything going down the elevator shafts & would have broken windows as well.

I, too, experienced a list on the Holiday. We were on our way back to N.O. on the Mississippi and we hit one particular crook in the river and the boat just kept on leaning, and leaning, and leaning. It felt like a lot more, but it was probably about a 10 degree list (or less?, nothing went flying). I can see how anything more than that could scare the pants off any passenger. I felt more than a little apprehension myself. It was my 4th cruise, and I've never experienced anything like that before. I even sailed the Conquest down the same river a year before. Maybe because we had a full moon, the list looked worse to me because I could faintly see the horizon/lights in the distance. BTW, sailing down the MS during a full moon was a fabulous experience!

Attention All CruiseCritic Members>>>>> I just got off the phone with a RCCL Rep. , they have no idea what I was talking about, maybe the person dident I dont know but....I hope everything is okay!! ANYONE with additional Information PLEASE keep us informed...Thank You...Ryan

no offense (really) :) but the reps have no clue on a day to day basis about what freakin deck your talkin about much less anything else..to boot the bigguys aren't about to tell them anything anyway to tell youse guys and get it all screwed up....if anything at all they might press release it. IF it's true at all.

Several years ago (Oct 2002) on a Caribbean sailing aboard the Summit (Celebrity) we had a similar experience. The ship seemed to make a sharp turn and then lean sideways ... many things fell over and such. Explanation given was a malfunction to the propulsion system (gas turbines).

Anywho, yes these things do happen, but the original post on this thread does not ring as credible thus far ... we shall see ...

We had a "Tilt" as they called it on the Enchantment in December of 2002 while leaving Grand Cayman.

We were up in the Viking Crown lounge one afternoon when I suddenly was thrown off balance to my left and hit the window. There was no explaination of why it happened, it just did. Bottles from the pool bar broke and the water in the pool came up and over taking everyones things with it. Anything that was around the pool and on the lounges was carried away.

No reason was ever given.

movement in one side when you are in the ship, along with a lot of noise and bottles and other stuff getting broken around you and maybe you will also feel that you went over 45 degree.

When I mentioned 45 degree , all I was trying was to give the idea of the incident that happened, the ship tilded to one side and stuff started rolling all over, but we recovered horizontal position in about 10 minutes and the trip so far has been wonderful. I which I just know exactly what happened, I know we were far out of Miami in our way to Belize to had hit a sand bar and sea conditions were almost perfect at the moment, so whatever it was, it was a scary situation, but I went back to the bar and after a couple of long island ice tea I felt much better.

:)

just curious...i was on the serenade of the seas where there was an error made by one of the officers and the ship made a sharp turn listing at about 17 degrees....alot of people from the ship posted on the website...why is noone else posting from the ship about this experience??...maybe it is untrue...well anyway, same thing, deny, deny, deny by rccl only to find out later about a firing of the officer

We were on the Serenade sailing, too, and have a very good source of info tied in with RCCL. It was actually a 7 degree (not 17) list, but sure felt scary. We were in the dining room at the time, and saw everything sliding off of tables, serving areas, people off of chairs. 7 degrees was enough to empty water out of the solarium pool, flooding balconies below, sending water down the forward elevator shaft and starting a small (and quickly extinguished) fire, dumping all the merchandise off of shop displays (including the bottles in the liquor store), and off the the bars around the ship. It was an error during a steering test that is a required maneuver prior to a ship entering a US port (in this case we were on our way back to San Juan). The manuever is never done at speed, but in this case, the ship sped up and listed. Felt like 45 degrees, but in reality was much less. The reality felt pretty scary, even if there never was any real danger.

Thanks for this warning we will be cruisin RCI out of New Orleans.

We sailed the Grandeur out of New Orleans and it was a very smooth sailing. Maybe it is an issue with older ships? Your sailing should be fine. The fog on the other hand is quite thick :)

Bobbie

Once while sailing on the Rhapsody, off the west coast of Mexico, we were awakened around 1 AM by an extreme listing of the ship. Being a Californian I immediately assumed earthquake. Everything that was on the counter crashed to the floor. Upon entering the next port (Mazatlan) I watched as the crew unloaded several pallets of drums containing broken dishes. Seems they set up for breakfast right after dinner is done. Later in the cruise, at a C&A party , the captain explained that it was a stabilizer malfunction.

Today, the boat I was on experienced an extremely dangerous list! So I know what the OP was talking about. Here's what happened.

While travelling on some rough waters everything began to tilt left slowly, then jerked right, then back to the left, only much further!

At that point, the entire canoe tipped over and everything fell out. I lost my sunscreen! I'm going to call RCCL tomorrow and complain.

my ankle is bruised too!

:p

:D

:)

:eek:

jim

Please notice that I called this an incident and not an accident, obviously if it would have been something really bad you would not be reading about it here but rather in the news. I am not sure how many degree a ship has to tilt so that everything start rolling to the floor but whatever that number is then that was what we experienced. As far as calling rccl to find out, forget it. We are in the ship and we did not get an explanation, noone from outside will get one either. This is my 11th cruise, 9th in rccl. I love cruising (as described by my log on name) , I had never experienced this before and for the time it went on , it was scary. But the rest of the cruise has been great. :)

A similiar incident happened on a cruise I was on. We were at a wine tasting and suddenly the ocean view windows looked like glass bottem boat windows. We later heard that we had tilted about 5 degrees. They told us it was a stabilizer problem caused by operator error. (Either someone pulled one in or out too quickly or something like that as it was explained to us.) I was shocked to hear it was only 5 degrees because like the other poster mentioned it felt like 45! By the description I am sure this was the same type of problem that the initial poster experienced.

Anyone that is worried about listing of a ship should stay as low in the ship as possible. The list angle will be the same no matter where you are on the ship. The difference is that if you are low in the ship, you will actually just list to one side and not move as much horizontally. If you are up on deck 15, your movement will be much more.

In any case, I have never heard of a cruise ship tilting over into the Sea. That is always good news to keep in the back of your head.

In any case, I have never heard of a cruise ship tilting over into the Sea. That is always good news to keep in the back of your head.

I have two words for you.... Andrea Doria. Of course she wasn't a cruise ship.

I have two words for you.... Andrea Doria. Of course she wasn't a cruise ship.

Andrea Doria was a collision at Sea between two passenger ships. It was not a listing that sent the ship over. Andrea Doria if I remember correctly, also stayed afloat for just over 4 hours before sinking.

I am quite aware that it was a collision between two ships. I didn't say she just went over on her own. But, in fact, it was the listing that sent her under. She technically capsized. It is speculated that if steps had been taked to balance her through various fuel tank floodings on her port side she MAY have not sunk.

Archived