Live from Holland Oosterdam May 25, Vancouver-Anchorage-Denali 21night Alaska trip

aerospace

c9a1aa_22b1d29a6b414205be425ada84c47ded.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Got the beer happy hour; Blue Tongue medium bitterness, long finish taste. Fat Yak mild bitterness, copper taste and citrus finish. Complex flavor-nice but don't plan on having many.

No live music during sail away even though both are scheduled...this is a recurring theme so far. Music acts not playing when scheduled or are playing but in wrong lounge. Not sure if the "on location" printer isn't talking to the Cruise Director or what but it's annoying.

"On location" guides for each day will be photographed and posted at some point, probably when I can do all 7 at once. Saving an extra copy daily and keeing it crisp for you don't worry :)

Got a free glass of sparkling wine at the Culinary Arts Center 3:30. They talk out the packages on offer and give out a free glass. It only lasted 10mins and no hard sales pitch. I caught the last minute, got a glass and left.

Movie Playing today: White Fang; tour guide said they like to do location specific movies so in AK it's anything wildlife related.

Sail away it started to rain quite a bit.

c9a1aa_af3bf98d17b548dcb502fa8b410152df.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Went in to check out lido and grabbed a salad. Not impressed with overall selection here.

Show was an a selection from each musical group on board. Totally not into it and left after a couple mins. Not sure how your supposed to appreciate a duo of Violin and Piano when you put them on stage with 7 others playing...way to drown out your featured acts.

Dinner (late seating 7:45pm)

My waiters are Agun, and Dudi...yes it's pronounced Doo-die!

c9a1aa_5f91e325eb3a421cb4ab6ef778d6f266.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Scallops, bacon, avocado, and cherry tomatoes. Good blend of tart tomato, savory bacon, sweet avocado 7.5

Ketchikan Chowder lots of different seafoods mixed, pretty good 7 (accidentally deleted photo oops)

c9a1aa_9f9713544188475f8acd3545c4a8f675.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Roasted Chicken, stuffing made with half grits for texture, apple and bacon to complement and a couple of sweet yellow potato 8.5

c9a1aa_bb0318dc34e74899bfdb9cdb6c36ad7d.jpg_srz_p_900_675_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

^Balsamic Strawberries and cream, literally 3 slices strawberry at the bottom of a sundae glass with a huge scoop of whip cream thrown on top. The whip cream was so thick it sat at the top with the strawberries at the bottom and neither touched, it floated just there. They might have forgot the balsamic entirely because I didn't see any. 2.5

Went to bed 10:06 after bailing on the show, really tired from travel. Out in less than 5mins and woke up 9.5 hours later. Man do I feel better!

Fitbit Activity report:

May 25

20318 steps(minus about 2 hours, I took it off for security and didn't put it right back on)

21 flights of stairs

11.55miles

2933 calories

*End day 1*

So as I write this as we are already docked in Ketchikan(day 3). Have been so busy looking at things, activities, eating etc I haven't spent much time organizing photos but did take many. As we are in Juneau tomorrow more than 12 hours I will have more time to update. Expect ship photos, port photos, food shots, reviews, and much more to come.

Is anyone interested in an Art tour? I had this idea I could make a post of me going around the ship photographing the paintings, statues, etc but only if anyone wants to see it.

Also to come is my 7 course meal on day 2!

Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

Michael

This is just wonderful Michael! Having sailed on Oosterdam several times, I can picture your cabin and all of the public spaces and I'm getting really excited for my cruise out of Vancouver in September! I'll be sailing with my 84 year old Mom and we have a Neptune suite with Neptune lounge privileges. If, at some point on your travels you can find out who the concierges will be in that lounge, it would be very much appreciated, -- Also, any info on wifi locations in ports (Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway) ? but I'm really enjoying all aspects of your live review so far! - keep it up and keep enjoying!!

Edited by Moriah

Boarding Ooosterdam:

Arrive at port 10:03am; luggage drop not ready asked to wait about 2mins, 6th in line for today's sailing.

10:09 Speech in security line; "Normal start time would be 9:45 but disembarkation was a bit delayed not sure when starting today. Goal of actual ship boarding is 11:30. "

10:15 security lines is moving really fast, as in not stop go stop go, just a slow walk.

Table for Holland America for people to pay corkage, $18 per, but not affiliated with security. Won't scan your bag and say hey you need to pay for those extra. Bring more than 1, or bottles of liquor, and just walk by the table if you want. Celebrity also in port today, same line, has no wine check table. :-)

10:26 through security and immigration checks

10:54 key card in hand, waiting for boarding to start (there was no one handing out AK coupon books like I had read....)

11:24 Disabled boarding begins

11:40 I'm on the ship! Everyone's room is ready, drop off backpack and jacket.

Are you saying if you had wine/booze in your checked bags or carry on that they weren't requiring a payment? So if I have a bottle in my backpack it will get past security, but possibly detected by a Holland search.

Surprising you can't use your beverage card for happy hour. We used them on the Maasdam during happy hour in the Caribbean in March/April of 2014 with no problem. I would try again to see if you had an inexperienced server.

First 48 hours on "Code Orange", or no self-serve, has been the norm for years on all ships we've been on.

Great work on the "Live from....", thank you for the considerable effort!

Edited by 0bnxshs

This isn't the first time I've heard that you can't use the beverage card for happy hour. It seems to be the norm.

Love your ratings on the food, can't tell by the pictures which always look good.

Art tours can be downloaded on your iPhone or iPad with pictures so you can verify what they are talking about. We always make sure we do the art tours.

Here's what I'd like to know...

1. Do they have any naturalists on board giving talks about AK?

2. Do they still have trivia games with prizes like the luggage tags and key rings?

3. Do they serve Sea Bass, Halibut or Sockeye Salmon on the ship?

4. The current Mariner Mag says they serve 25 varieties of fruit - any of them unique like star fruit, passion or dragon fruit?

Thanks for answering my Q's about your work. Congrats on saving your paychecks when so many people overextend. I talk to people all the time about their credit and am always amazed when they make $60K+, can't save, and max out their credit to the point it goes to collections. Now when it's medical bills, I can understand, but buying the newest and best when you're not a celeb is just crazy! That's it for my soap box rant!

Here's another vote for the art tour.

I remember when I was on the Oosterdam a few years ago, I made a collection of chair photos. There was a very interesting collection chairs and benches on that ship.

Thanks for posting your photos and thoughts on this cruise. I am enjoying the blog.

A friend is going to be on the SB segment of this cruise in a few weeks. She is wondering how the dress code is enforced on this ship? How would you say the majority of the people are dressed?

My family of 9 is traveling from Seward to Vancouver on the Oosterdam June 15th. I'm curious about the beverage card you have that you said can't be used during happy hour. What exactly is the kind of card you have? My family has the signature beverage program and wondered if it's the same thing you have. Thank you!

Are you saying if you had wine/booze in your checked bags or carry on that they weren't requiring a payment? So if I have a bottle in my backpack it will get past security, but possibly detected by a Holland search.

I'm saying it appears to be on the honor system. There is a table if you want to go over and state you brought more than bottle, then pay $18 each. I could have had 6 bottles in my backpack, even liquor and would have got through without a hitch.

Surprising you can't use your beverage card for happy hour. We used them on the Maasdam during happy hour in the Caribbean in March/April of 2014 with no problem. I would try again to see if you had an inexperienced server.

First 48 hours on "Code Orange", or no self-serve, has been the norm for years on all ships we've been on.

Great work on the "Live from....", thank you for the considerable effort!

Heard another server say the same thing. :(

I'm saying it appears to be on the honor system. There is a table if you want to go over and state you brought more than bottle, then pay $18 each. I could have had 6 bottles in my backpack, even liquor and would have got through without a hitch.

Same experience here.

Backpack scanned, advised they had spotted the two bottles in there and I had to go to the bottle desk to check them in.

Just as a test I just strolled past them and on my way-no-one bothered to ask as there is no comms between the scanner personnel and the bottle table

So IMHO easily open to smuggling:cool:

My two bottles were legit BTW

This isn't the first time I've heard that you can't use the beverage card for happy hour. It seems to be the norm.

Love your ratings on the food, can't tell by the pictures which always look good.

Art tours can be downloaded on your iPhone or iPad with pictures so you can verify what they are talking about. We always make sure we do the art tours.

Here's what I'd like to know...

1. Do they have any naturalists on board giving talks about AK?

2. Do they still have trivia games with prizes like the luggage tags and key rings?

3. Do they serve Sea Bass, Halibut or Sockeye Salmon on the ship?

4. The current Mariner Mag says they serve 25 varieties of fruit - any of them unique like star fruit, passion or dragon fruit?

Thanks for answering my Q's about your work. Congrats on saving your paychecks when so many people overextend. I talk to people all the time about their credit and am always amazed when they make $60K+, can't save, and max out their credit to the point it goes to collections. Now when it's medical bills, I can understand, but buying the newest and best when you're not a celeb is just crazy! That's it for my soap box rant!

1. There is a lady who gives tour advise and talks a bit about what to do in port etc but she's not a naturalist or expert. What disappointed there as well.

2. Only went to one game so far and the prize was the staff bought each person a drink from the bar...better than a keychain!

3. Will have to check on that. They have salmon at every meal but not sure which of the 5 kinds it is.

4. Have not seen anywhere near 25 ...I will count for you lol.

Thanks for posting your photos and thoughts on this cruise. I am enjoying the blog.

A friend is going to be on the SB segment of this cruise in a few weeks. She is wondering how the dress code is enforced on this ship? How would you say the majority of the people are dressed?

VERY relaxed as in you might want to lighten the suitcase by skipping the formal wear. I dressed up and felt out of place all night.

Heard another server say the same thing. :(

I also confirm you cannot use a beverage card during Happy hour:mad:

Mines a $50 freebie from the tour Co ( as is Mrs B's:D )

Also you cannot buy Alaska beer in Happy hour despite it being less than $7:mad::mad:

My family of 9 is traveling from Seward to Vancouver on the Oosterdam June 15th. I'm curious about the beverage card you have that you said can't be used during happy hour. What exactly is the kind of card you have? My family has the signature beverage program and wondered if it's the same thing you have. Thank you!

No, the beverage card is a current promo from Hal. Everyone gets a $50 card for free they can use to buy drinks. Unfortunately you have to pay full price you can't use it at happy hour to buy one drink for full price and get second for $1 thereby stretching the $50 value.

VERY relaxed as in you might want to lighten the suitcase by skipping the formal wear. I dressed up and felt out of place all night.

I went to the "formal " night in jacket and tie as did most men.

Been to the other nights on clean jeans and short sleeved top-no problems.

Lido dress code is that you must be:eek:

Edited by blindman60

No, the beverage card is a current promo from Hal. Everyone gets a $50 card for free they can use to buy drinks. Unfortunately you have to pay full price you can't use it at happy hour to buy one drink for full price and get second for $1 thereby stretching the $50 value.

There are TWO beverage cards:

1. The Signature Beverage Card (usually yellow/goldish) -- which is provided as a promotion (and therefore 'free' to user -- this Cannot be used for Happy Hour.

2. There is a second beverage card (usually grey) that you purchase in various denominations -- no discount -- usually just for easier bookkeeping. This one CAN be used for Happy Hour -- I've done this.

I also confirm you cannot use a beverage card during Happy hour:mad:

Mines a $50 freebie from the tour Co ( as is Mrs B's:D )

Also you cannot buy Alaska beer in Happy hour despite it being less than $7:mad::mad:

We have an alaska beer stand on Lido that seems to offer happy hour all day just for beer.

...taking almost an hour to upload my 30 pics at the library *cry*

I really wanted to post 2 days at once, even pre-wrote everything out and saved it. Specifically set aside some time and we don't leave port for 5 hours but can't get anything done...