Storage Tips for S-Class Ships?

Wdavid1019

We have 3 people in a Celebrity Reflection Concierge Cabin.

In watching the youtube videos of the cabins I do not see a logical place to store the luggage. Can you store them under the bed, is there room, or does the cabin attendant have stuff he is storing under there.

Any hints or tips of how to best make use of the space available?

Thank you - any ideas are much appreciated.

We bring a couple of collapsible bins to use in the overhead storage cabinets.

We can get 2 large & 2 roll-aboard suitcases under the bed- more if they fit inside each other.

We also ask for additional hangers from the cabin steward. Generally get wire hangers which take up less space than the wood ones in the closet. We put the wood ones in a suitcase until it is time to pack to leave😥. We get about 1/3 more stuff in the closet this way.

I am 5'3" and those overhead bins are not hard for me to reach at all. PERFECT for all your foldables. And no bin needed at all - no way I'm hauling all that! I just reach up and grab. Seriously.

Store cases under the bed. We each keep our largest case open under the bed and put the dirty clothes in one side and things we might not use so much on the other side, or things we don't plan to use again.

We keep our shoes on the bottom of the closet. Again, no problem. I don't bring a hanging shoe caddy - nothing like that. We probably take a lot less than some people but surely we take more than many do. Never once have we needed more room. I always get the cabin attendant to bring us about 15 or so more hangers and we do double-hang some things.

I like to keep the cabin clutter free so we toss all the dailies (minus the schedule which I tear out) and all the dumb spa and port flyers almost the minute they enter the cabin.

I pack smarter these days than I used to, wearing the same black slacks, skirt, etc. several times, with just changes of tops and scarves, jewelry. I don't pack nearly as many shoes. We take advantage of the free elite perk of washing, but even before we had that perk we just sent some things out at least once.

Seriously don't sweat the storage space. There are a lot who do, but you'll find plenty of room.

One more thing, you can have the room steward or butler remove the items from the cooler (it's not really a true fridge) and you can take that big stack of books, etc. that they put in the room and stow it away in the side magazine rack thing or under the bed.

We normally end up with more space than we need in a regular cabin.

We pack using E bags. Each person has a different color bag. I don't unpack tee shirts, undies, socks,etc. Everything goes in a drawer or on a shelf with a few hanging items. We put the midsize suitcase and carry ons inside our suitcases. They are placed under the bed. We have friends who travel with us and they often will store extra luggage under the draperies in the cabin.

I don't see any value for using cubicles for the overhead as they would be too small, but apparently some like them.

We went to Target and got a closet hanger for shoes and then one that is about 12" wide for shirts, underware, shorts and etc. We also bought two cheap little boxes for the night stand for misc. We prefer to just store our stuff in the overhead compartment without boxes as it s easier to see and doesn't require to jam the stuff in. We also put the dirty clothes or stuff we won't wear again in a plastic bag into the luggage that is under the bed. u That helps on packaging on the last day as most will already be in there. Large plastic bags are very useful.

Also take a lot of magnets and magnetic clips to hold papers that are needed to attach to the wall to help manage clutter. The only problem with those closet hangers is trying to get them refolded when taking them down. It is worse that refolding a map. Don't know if the expensive style refolds easier but I don't think any were made to refold as they are not made for travel.

Also take a multi plug electrical outlet cord as the plugs are not enough for all of the stuff that needs to be charged and etc.

Everyone has their own methods and ideas. Read all of the tips and do what you think may work best for you.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We used the collapsible bins for small things like socks, underwear, etc. That way we could use the drawers by the desk for other items such as sunglasses, umbrella, scarves, my little handbags and other miscellaneous items. I am also 5'3 and had no problems reaching. Sometimes I would stand on the bed, but I did not mind.

here is a picture of how we utilized the bins, we found them useful and will always travel with them. (our suitcase has a zipper pouch on the back for flat items, these fit perfectly)

13040185755_68712c4c3a.jpg

DSC05807 by porschegrl04, on Flickr

We've been on the Solstice twice in a Concierge cabin and had three people.

One challenge is that the cabins with the couch/bed have the bed next to the closet making it hard to access the closet. It's doable but not as easy as if the bed were near the balcony.

The overhead storage was great. I'm not tall and could easily access about a third. In the middle we put things we didn't need as much. I wish all ships did that.

Since the walls are metal, some people bring magnets and use them to create extra storage options. I have several with hooks on them that I hang purses, umbrellas, tote bags, etc. from. I find them at the local hardware store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Take the life jackets out of their bin under the bed and put them in the cabinets above the bed, then use the bin to store items to which you'd like to have easy access. I read this tip on here before our first cruise on an S-class ship, and it worked very well for us.

I just got of Solstice and from the sounds of it- the cabins are identical on Reflection. Here are some pointers. Not all the rooms have the beds by the closet. The cabins are in a bit of a zig- zag pattern. Every other cabin has the bed by the closet. The rooms that have the sofa when you enter are much better set up IMO.

I must say that I was extremely grumpy upon embarkation on Solstice- since we had a terribly long line in Vancouver. The ship has left the pier by the time I tried to unpack in our Aquaclass cabin 1520 and it was rocking and rolling. There was like a six inch deep counter in the bathroom and it was frustrating because you couldn't really set anything on the counter. Claustrophic was the general feeling of the room. Closet was awkward because we had the beds separated for one thing (traveling with my son).

There was a thumping noise intermittently which I thought was something mechanically defective in the ship. After a couple days I realized it was the running on the treadmills. Avoid ALL cabins under the gym! Horrible. We were switched to cabin 1072 and the sofa was as you enter- loved this configuration- made a world of difference.

I seriously doubt that Celebrity or your travel agent will know for sure which cabins have the sofa as you enter but I'd try to book one of those. One way you could figure it out- start from the first balcony cabin at the bow. On the starboard side (right when facing front) the first balcony cabin will be the sofa as you enter. Every other cabin as you count back will have the sofa as you enter. On the port side (left facing front) the second balcony cabin will have the sofa by the door. I hope this helps.

As for the storage over the bed- we put all our folded stuff up there because there is really limited drawer space. There is also NO Clothes line in the bathroom which I really hated. That's ridiculous. I routinely wash out things in the shower and hang them dry- including my long pants and there was no where to hang them.

Whoever designed these ships- has never cruised!

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Some great ideas - Truly appreciate the help - thank you!

I had one other question: Putting up a clothesline in the cabin - where and how?

I have an elastic one with hooks and suction cups if needed, I spread it from the A/C vent to the ceiling on the wall, the hooks are very handy for this.:D

The best hint I ever got was on these boards before our first cruise. Buy an over the door shoe bag with clear vinyl pockets to hang on the bathroom door. This holds everything from hairbrushes to suntan lotion, sunglasses, cameras, etc. We never cruise without one now and cheap enough to leave if you don't want to bring it home with you.

I also use the bins up top for bathing suits, undies and such. On the last trip we picked up a hanging closet organizer, it had about five compartments that I could use for folded tee shirt and shorts! It do take up some closet space, also we hang shirts and pants on the same hanger doubling helps a big deal. We also do not want clutter and keep our dirty stuff under the bed in a suitcase. enjoy

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Take the life jackets out of their bin under the bed and put them in the cabinets above the bed, then use the bin to store items to which you'd like to have easy access. I read this tip on here before our first cruise on an S-class ship, and it worked very well for us.

Worked well for us too!

We've used boxes over the bed but not in the nightstands. Does anyone know what size box will fit on those shelves?

After washing bathing suits, I hang them on small hangers and clip them to the back of the chairs on the veranada with clips that are used to keep towels from blowing off lounge chairs. If you don't want to use clips, tying them fast with ribbon keeps them from blowing away. We keep a large plastic bag in the closet for dirty laundry. Once it's full we sort out what's to be sent to the laundry and what will be packed away in the suitcases.

The best hint I ever got was on these boards before our first cruise. Buy an over the door shoe bag with clear vinyl pockets to hang on the bathroom door. This holds everything from hairbrushes to suntan lotion, sunglasses, cameras, etc. We never cruise without one now and cheap enough to leave if you don't want to bring it home with you.

We bring something similar when we cruise, BUT we found that it was not necessary on the Eclipse. The bathroom had plenty of storage space for toiletries, hair brushes, lotions, all the stuff you'd want to have in your bathroom.

We've used boxes over the bed but not in the nightstands. Does anyone know what size box will fit on those shelves?

After washing bathing suits, I hang them on small hangers and clip them to the back of the chairs on the veranada with clips that are used to keep towels from blowing off lounge chairs. If you don't want to use clips, tying them fast with ribbon keeps them from blowing away. We keep a large plastic bag in the closet for dirty laundry. Once it's full we sort out what's to be sent to the laundry and what will be packed away in the suitcases.

I thought you were not allowed to hang stuff on the balcony but I suppose if it is tied down it wouldn't blow away. I sometimes put the elastic line by the balcony door so the sun can get to them as well.:D

Never leave any personal belongings on the balcony unattended, but if you are sitting out there and want to dry your bathing suits and can make sure they couldn't blow away, that shouldn't be a problem. Bring them in if you leave the verandah, though.

For a 14 day cruise I bring.

1 suit and white shirt, if not in Aqua.

2 pair of long pants

3 pair of shorts

7 underpants

4 t-shirts

4 Polo shirts

1 pair dress shoes

7 pair of socks

2 swim suits

1 pair deck shoes

1 pair flip flops