You Paid and Princess Listened

cruzsnooze

In 1986 I paid $1800 pp for a 7day Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Holiday in an obstructed view cabin .

In 1991 I paid $1250pp for a 7day Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess in an obstructed view cabin. This was the price after final payment. On both these trips I had a very hefty on board balance for pictures,drinks, excursions and gift shop items. I spent more then, than I do now.

Now I can book a balcony for less and I have also booked ocean views for $499 per person for the same 7 day cruise. I don't book excursions, I don't purchase pictures and I don't gamble and I guarantee that if I purchase the beverage package that I will beat the house.

Do the math how do you think that they are going hedge inflation if they don't start finding ways to empty our pockets. $100pp for the Chefs table and I think it's more on the Royal Princess is not worth it for me. I attended when it was $75pp an it was worth it. I find the food in the MDR and buffet very good on Princess and if I choose to eat in a specialty restaurant I do so because I want to not because I have to. As far as the auto tips or hotel charge, I feel I am spending less money on tips now than I did in the past because the fee is dispersed to more people. I think I tipped out more in just the MDR years ago than I do now for the whole staff.

If other passengers are willing to subsidize my vacation by paying for all of the extras God Bless them. I will keep them in my prayers.

In 1986 I paid $1800 pp for a 7day Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Holiday in an obstructed view cabin .

In 1991 I paid $1250pp for a 7day Caribbean cruise on the Crown Princess in an obstructed view cabin. This was the price after final payment. On both these trips I had a very hefty on board balance for pictures,drinks, excursions and gift shop items. I spent more then, than I do now.

Now I can book a balcony for less and I have also booked ocean views for $499 per person for the same 7 day cruise. I don't book excursions, I don't purchase pictures and I don't gamble and I guarantee that if I purchase the beverage package that I will beat the house.

Do the math how do you think that they are going hedge inflation if they don't start finding ways to empty our pockets. $100pp for the Chefs table and I think it's more on the Royal Princess is not worth it for me. I attended when it was $75pp an it was worth it. I find the food in the MDR and buffet very good on Princess and if I choose to eat in a specialty restaurant I do so because I want to not because I have to. As far as the auto tips or hotel charge, I feel I am spending less money on tips now than I did in the past because the fee is dispersed to more people. I think I tipped out more in just the MDR years ago than I do now for the whole staff.

If other passengers are willing to subsidize my vacation by paying for all of the extras God Bless them. I will keep them in my prayers.

If you add the inflation calculation to your 1986 figures, it shows a true picture of the bargain we get on cruises now !!

You paid $1800 in 1986 and inflation makes that equal to $3893.52 in todays dollars.

For now!

That's the scary part. We already know from reading the wording in Princess' response to all the complaints about the fees that the stoppage is temporary.

I'm afraid this is going to be just the beginning of a trend of 'fee, charge, fee, charge' with Princess (and likely some of the other CCL lines), ala the airlines who just keep finding more little things they can tack a fee onto, to suck the consumers wallets dry while the company executives wallets get fatter and fatter.

Interest that this greedy ploy popped up just a few months after that Jan "something", the new president of PCL, came into that position. If this is what she's going to keep doing to us, maybe we need to get a movement going to get Alan back!! LOL

Interest that this greedy ploy popped up just a few months after that Jan "something", the new president of PCL, came into that position.LOL

LOL. Jan "something." Jan "hand-in-your-pocket" Swartz? ;)

I'm afraid this is going to be just the beginning of a trend of 'fee, charge, fee, charge' with Princess (and likely some of the other CCL lines), ala the airlines who just keep finding more little things they can tack a fee onto, to suck the consumers wallets dry.

And like the airlines, there is no reduction in the basic fare as what used to be included in that fare then has fees attached.

Mike I feel the same way. :)

If you add the inflation calculation to your 1986 figures, it shows a true picture of the bargain we get on cruises now !!

You paid $1800 in 1986 and inflation makes that equal to $3893.52 in todays dollars.

Thanks for the reminder. While I would prefer not to have to add everything I do to my stateroom account, the fact is the prices for food and fuel and housekeeping items and salaries and materials and paint and oil and ships and port fees, etc., are not stagnant.

I don't see how any business can stay in business if the money that goes out is greater than the money that comes in.

So the question becomes - what is an acceptable way for Princess to offset increasing costs?

So the question becomes - what is an acceptable way for Princess to offset increasing costs?

Although some cruises may have pricing that is in $ amount close to what was paid in the past, that is not what I am seeing.

In six years, the per day cost of the Baltic cruise I took has increased by 110%.

My Tahiti cruise in 8 years has increased by 112%.

Certainly this shows that Princess is offsetting increasing costs by just increasing the base fares for a number of the cruise itineraries.

Although some cruises may have pricing that is in $ amount close to what was paid in the past, that is not what I am seeing.

In six years, the per day cost of the Baltic cruise I took has increased by 110%.

My Tahiti cruise in 8 years has increased by 112%.

Certainly this shows that Princess is offsetting increasing costs by just increasing the base fares for a number of the cruise itineraries.

Do we know how the fare increases compare to the increase in the cost of doing business?

If that helps keep the base cruise price down then I'm all for it. Helps us poor people get on board and allows those with the means to dine and drink better.

No disrespect intended :) US POOR PEOPLE. .... doesn't fit you at all :D You have some fine cruises planned. ......happy cruising.

Edited by blkspy

People -- you shot yourself in the foot so to speak when you accepted ridiculous $100 PP prices for a "chef's table" dinner and specialty restaurants and paying for special coffee and special gelato so why would you think the cruise lines will stop putting more pay venues on board. I've been reading where people say they are willing to pay more for higher quality so they dummy ed down the MDR so you could pay more for specialty restaurants. RCL and NCL have some shows that are a paid venue. The regular ice cream wasn't good enough so RCL put in a Ben & Gerry's to lighten your wallet. Coffee needs to be better so they put in Seattles or Starbucks or specialty coffees. Soon we will be paying for a cabin and mediocre banquet meals in the MDR with no extras.

So if people stop using the pay venues they will shrink and/or disappear but as long a people pay why not?

I'm going to take a better look at cruise lines that are all inclusive. When I do the math they are a better price and experience.

True, but cruising has really decreased in costs over the years as well. I recall even 15 years ago paying much more for an Alaska cruise for 7 days than a 14 day just last summer. The sales etc now are just too good and much lower costs than in the past. I guess we have to weigh all. At least this way we can kind of pay for what we really want.

Don't forget also that back in like 1999 or 2000, the cost of a gallon of diesel was about $0.89. Now it is closer to $4.00 a gallon, while cruise prices have not gone up by much. Considering it takes about $3 million to fill up a cruise ship today, they have to recover their costs from somewhere. I for one am ok with the "upcharges" or whatever you want to call them as long as the cruise fares stay pretty stable. Regardless on how you look at it, cruising is still one of the more economical ways to vacation.

I for one am ok with the "upcharges" or whatever you want to call them as long as the cruise fares stay pretty stable. Regardless on how you look at it, cruising is still one of the more economical ways to vacation.

That is the airline model. Keep adding upcharges without reducing the base fare.

Nobody enjoys flying anymore. People fly because they have to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time for business or (once there) pleasure.

The cruise lines should not be implementing upcharges to the point nobody enjoys cruising anymore, not matter how low the base fare remains.

That is the airline model. Keep adding upcharges without reducing the base fare.

Nobody enjoys flying anymore. People fly because they have to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time for business or (once there) pleasure.

The cruise lines should not be implementing upcharges to the point nobody enjoys cruising anymore, not matter how low the base fare remains.

I see your point but as long as I find the food in the MDR and Buffet acceptable I am fine with the up charges for the restaurants. But, to prove your point..... I will be damned if I'm going to pay room service $3.00 for a pot of that syrup coffee. I would rather pay $1.50 at the IC.... And that's how they get you. I predict a lot more coffee makers traveling around the world on a Princess cruise ship.

That's the scary part. We already know from reading the wording in Princess' response to all the complaints about the fees that the stoppage is temporary.

I'm afraid this is going to be just the beginning of a trend of 'fee, charge, fee, charge' with Princess (and likely some of the other CCL lines), ala the airlines who just keep finding more little things they can tack a fee onto, to suck the consumers wallets dry while the company executives wallets get fatter and fatter. End of quote-----------------

Where can we find the data on Princess Executive compensation to verify if they are enriching themselves or doing this to help the company ??

Edited by swedish weave

There is a difference between increasing the price of something that already has a cost and starting to charge for something that has never been extra charge before.

With no advance notice of the price increase, there was no real protest when the self-service laundromat charges were increased from $1 to $2, when the Specialty restaurant charge was increased from $20 to $25, when the cost of a martini was increased, etc. As long as the amount of the increase is not viewed as excessive, it is accepted by passengers just as price increases occur in everyday living.

(On the other hand, a doubling of the fees for the Sancutary was not viewed as a reasonable increase, especially by those who a few days earlier before their cruise were told by Princess about the "old" pricing.)

When Sabatini's and the steak house were first introduced, it was with an upcharge. When gelato was introduced at the IC, it was with an upcharge. Nobody objected because these were new amenities, not charges being put on what used to be included in the base fare.

But charging for every room service delivery and charging for eating at Alfredo's is a reduction in the included cruise experience. With or without advance notice, this lessons the value of the cruise.

Many of the posts in these threads sound as if adding these new fees is the only way to keep Princess profitable. This is far from the truth. Princess has cut costs in many ways and continues to do so:

a) The new containers of shampoo/conditioner mounted in the showers must represent a reduction in cost over the supplying of the small containers that used to be used.

b) Shortening the production shows (which many passenegrs do not seem to object to) means the cost is lower for developing new shows.

c) Combining procurement contracts among the CCL Corp brands (for example printing contracts) saves a good amount of money.

d) Having smaller soaps which eliminates waste saves money. These new soaps are no smaller than soap supplied in leading hotels.

e) Serving smaller portions in the dining rooms has meant lower costs. Nobody goes hungry as those who prefer more of an item can easily get it.

f) etc.

In addition, the basic fares have increased, especially for itineraries where there is not overcapacity. (Yes, there are bargains where there is overcapacity as in Alaska last year.) These increases have helped cover increased fuel pricing as well as other costs.

There have been posts in this thread saying they do not mind the added fees for room service and Alfredo's because the posters rarely, if ever, use these. However, we all pay for amenities on the ship that some rarely or never use (hot tubs, gym, Champagne waterfall, Princess Theater entertainment, MUTS, main dining room, etc.), but there is no reason to start charging extra for all of these just as there really was no justification in my opinion for starting to charge for all room service deliveries or Alfredo's.

Edited by caribill

There is a difference between increasing the price of something that already has a cost and starting to charge for something that has never been extra charge before.

With no advance notice of the price increase, there was no real protest when the self-service laundromat charges were increased from $1 to $2, when the Specialty restaurant charge was increased from $20 to $25, when the cost of a martini was increased, etc. As long as the amount of the increase is not viewed as excessive, it is accepted by passengers just as price increases occur in everyday living.

(On the other hand, a doubling of the fees for the Sancutary was not viewed as a reasonable increase, especially by those who a few days earlier before their cruise were told by Princess about the "old" pricing.)

When Sabatini's and the steak house were first introduced, it was with an upcharge. When gelato was introduced at the IC, it was with an upcharge. Nobody objected because these were new amenities, not charges being put on what used to be included in the base fare.

But charging for every room service delivery and charging for eating at Alfredo's is a reduction in the included cruise experience. With or without advance notice, this lessons the value of the cruise.

Many of the posts in these threads sound as if adding these new fees is the only way to keep Princess profitable. This is far from the truth. Princess has cut costs in many ways and continues to do so:

a) The new containers of shampoo/conditioner mounted in the showers must represent a reduction in cost over the supplying of the small containers that used to be used.

b) Shortening the production shows (which many passenegrs do not seem to object to) means the cost is lower for developing new shows.

c) Combining procurement contracts among the CCL Corp brands (for example printing contracts) saves a good amount of money.

d) Having smaller soaps which eliminates waste saves money. These new soaps are no smaller than soap supplied in leading hotels.

e) Serving smaller portions in the dining rooms has meant lower costs. Nobody goes hungry as those who prefer more of an item can easily get it.

f) etc.

In addition, the basic fares have increased, especially for itineraries where there is not overcapacity. (Yes, there are bargains where there is overcapacity as in Alaska last year.) These increases have helped cover increased fuel pricing as well as other costs.

There have been posts in this thread saying they do not mind the added fees for room service and Alfredo's because the posters rarely, if ever, use these. However, we all pay for amenities on the ship that some rarely or never use (hot tubs, gym, Champagne waterfall, Princess Theater entertainment, MUTS, main dining room, etc.), but there is no reason to start charging extra for all of these just as there really was no justification in my opinion for starting to charge for all room service deliveries or Alfredo's.

There needs to be a "Like" button! :)

Princess would probably be better off to change the name of Alfredo's and make the new place a specialty restaurant with charges.

They could also change "room service" to "catering service".

We must realize that when management changes, the underlying reason is usually to turn the company into a profitable business. New managers are going to make changes that are sometimes not popular but can help the company maintain profitability.

That happened when Sheehan took over NCL from Veatch.

Edited by swedish weave

People -- you shot yourself in the foot so to speak when you accepted ridiculous $100 PP prices for a "chef's table" dinner and specialty restaurants and paying for special coffee and special gelato so why would you think the cruise lines will stop putting more pay venues on board. I've been reading where people say they are willing to pay more for higher quality so they dummy ed down the MDR so you could pay more for specialty restaurants. RCL and NCL have some shows that are a paid venue. The regular ice cream wasn't good enough so RCL put in a Ben & Gerry's to lighten your wallet. Coffee needs to be better so they put in Seattles or Starbucks or specialty coffees. Soon we will be paying for a cabin and mediocre banquet meals in the MDR with no extras.

So if people stop using the pay venues they will shrink and/or disappear but as long a people pay why not?

I'm going to take a better look at cruise lines that are all inclusive. When I do the math they are a better price and experience.

I have cruised almost 20 times with 4 cruise lines. I have never paid for anything extra on any ship. Do not buy pictures, or have a bar bill. But I do thank all the people who do and help keep my cruise cost down.

Although my last cruise was on HAL, the logic of my response is still good. I did not gamble. I did not do anything at the massage area. I did not buy anything on board. I bought 1 beer - that was my total alcohol consumption. I did not take any ship tours as all my tours were private tours or walk arounds.

My single specialty restaurant meal was paid for by HAL as they gave me $500 because I suffered from no hot water for several days in my cabin. In addition to the $500, they moved me from my ocean view cabin to a veranda cabin that did have hot water.

The $500 credit even paid for much of my tips.

I guess all of you suckers who have fallen for the optional extras that are offered on cruises paid for that lower cost of my cruise.

I thank you a lot.

If you go for the places and not for the shipboard experiences which is what I do, the admitted lowering of service and increase in optional extras does not bother you.

DON

I have read, and it seems reasonable to think it is true, that it is folks like you (and me, actually, except for the "one beer" :rolleyes:) that the cruise lines find are the least attractive cruisers, because we do not spend much money on board! Younger, less experienced cruisers want to try everything, and are drawn in by the hype that, for example, "It must be worth it to eat at the 'specialty' restaurant, because, after all, it is so 'special' and look how much they are charging for it! And how can we not spend time on that private sun deck, or in that high-end spa while cruising because it is so darn special and so exclusive -- we simply have to do it! And we know from the cruise line that if we don't use the cruise line excursions we take an enormous risk of missing the ship or being defrauded :eek: that we had better not book private excursions."

Mature, experienced cruisers understand that they are getting a great vacation without going wild doing (paying for) all the add-ons. Many of us did these things on our first few cruises, or whenever they became available, just to try them out (often because we, too, were taken in by the hype), and a lot us us have learned that they aren't necessary and often not even worth it. That understanding of cruising, coupled with the fact that older cruisers often must limit alcohol intake (thus bar bills) due to medications etc. (I am not referring to anyone in particular here) makes us a less desirable demographic to court than the newbies with stars in their eyes and high interest rate credit cards in their pockets.

So it may actually be we ourselves who are to blame for the increase in for-fee services and options, because we have learned to make our cruises more or less "all-inclusive" for ourselves, and with base fares so low (and our ability to find deals so high), this cruising style actually hurts the company's bottom line.

I think it is this same problem which results in complained-about cutbacks in loyalty perks (on Princess and many other lines), because the loyals are the ones who spend the least amount on board when they cruise, but cost the line in perks. It has even resulted in a policy which allows "greenhorns" to buy perks that loyals have waited years to "earn", which really steams loyals on cruise lines where this is an option.

Seems a dilemma.

Because I have no industry stats to confirm these speculations, they are simply that. Though they seem reasonable...

Don't forget also that back in like 1999 or 2000, the cost of a gallon of diesel was about $0.89. Now it is closer to $4.00 a gallon, while cruise prices have not gone up by much. Considering it takes about $3 million to fill up a cruise ship today, they have to recover their costs from somewhere. I for one am ok with the "upcharges" or whatever you want to call them as long as the cruise fares stay pretty stable. Regardless on how you look at it, cruising is still one of the more economical ways to vacation.
But back then ships were smaller and had 600 -1200 passengers. Now there are upwards of 5,000 pax so that's how the cruises have increased revenue significantly.